Bilateral PKR On the other side

Stairs are becoming a bit more uncomfortable this week but as I have lots of them I’m just slowly persevering and always icing after.
Rather than pushing yourself to do lots of stairs and then icing, you might get a better result by giving your knees a break from all those stairs for a day or two. While you probably can't avoid stairs altogether, considering ways to minimize the climbing on alternate days.

Our soft tissues often need a day to recover following exertion. I found the "alternate day" approach worked well for me as I tried to get back into walking after my last TKR. I'd alternate between a long walk or multiple walks one day, followed by a day where I just did ADLs to minimize the walking.

As you say, at 7 weeks, you are still in the early months of recovery. Be kind to those new knees!
 
Thanks @benne68 for this. I read it after a second trip to the top, I left my phone up there. I’m now working harder on best use of the crutch. (It’s the down which is worse.)
 
I had them done, so I’m not yet better off, but as it’s only 7 weeks out of 52 I’m sure it’ll improve
Yes, it will improve! And...you're right, ONLY seven weeks post op so look at all the time you have until you're golden. :thumb:
Instead of being on a downward trajectory, with your improved knees you're on the rise now.
You're moving forward. :egypdance:A much better space to be in.
Going downstairs is usually harder, it takes more control. You're doing it though and it will become easier given more time.
 
If going up and down the stairs is a little difficult, why not make at least some of the trips going one step at a time or even sideways so you can hold on to the rail with both hands? If you find it’s becoming more painful, it means your body isn’t ready for that level of activity quite yet and you need to do less of it for a while until the discomfort lessens.
 
Thanks all, thanks @Jamie. It is always one step at a time, better leg up, worse leg down. I think maybe using the crutches less in the house for walking is impacting, and the stairs is where I feel it, although I use one crutch on the stairs, so maybe not ready for this yet, despite what physio said.
I do have two handrails too. All put up beforehand.
 
Last edited:
I think maybe using the crutches less in the house for walking is impacting, and the stairs is where I feel it, l though I use one crutch on the stairs, so maybe not ready for this yet, despite what physio said.
If going without the crutches is causing more pain, then you should consider going back to using them. Remember that the physio cannot feel what you are feeling.

Listen to your body; it will tell you when it is ready.
 
Hello
Week 7. Day 52
Back from seeing the surgeon and coming home through a gigantic rain storm! The like of which we haven’t seen for months. :swim:

OS was very pleased, said I’m doing well. Said I had a good physio, and the next six weeks should see the stairs become easier and so on. He is glad I live in a house of stairs and I’m to keep using them. That’s handy then! :heehee:

I’m to keep pushing on bit by bit as I have been. On that note I had a longer walk outside before leaving this morning. Now it’s much too wet to go out. #deluge

Plus I have to do one particular thing daily for a month… take a cushion and kneel on the stairs, one knee at a time for ten seconds, full weight, so that I will be able to kneel. He says not kneeling is simply a TKR myth, and the time to start is now. I have tried it once since coming home, but not full weight, I will work up to that in a couple of days, he says it’s about getting the scars used to the pressure. Here’s hoping. :fingersx:

Next review and X Ray in January.
I’m feeling tired now as stopped off, while out, at some friends of friends and I’m just ready for some P and Q and a cup of tea. It’s my old friend The Energy Drain.
Onwards :arrow:
 
Last edited:
You do need to practise kneeling but I am pretty sure I didn't start as early as 7 weeks.
I think I asked about it here more like 12-14 weeks. I started kneeling on my bed mattress. But remember I just had one PKR.
I had an incentive to learn to kneel because I have spinal stenosis and need to do regular back exercises with four point kneeling.
I can now kneel for prolonged periods with thin knee cushions for exercise classes and for short periods on a hard wood floor to find things.
I wouldn't rush it too much. It is pretty unpleasant to start with and I don't think your surgeon is right that you have to start so soon or it won't be possible later.
 
That's a good report from your surgeon. I would caution you on the kneeling aspect this early. Clearly he is your physician and has his protocol he follows. However, not everyone falls into the same 'healing' categories. For example, I am a notoriously slow healer, and there is nothing I can do to change that dynamic about myself. Just be careful, that's all that I'm saying. It seems very early to be trying to do that, IMO.

Wasn't it great seeing your friends? That has to have made you feel good. Glad your doing so well.
 
I definitely waited til at least 12 weeks. It's unlikely you'll do outright harm, but the internal pressure will certainly create inflammation and swelling.
 
Hi there,
Sounds like a nice visit with the surgeon. It's always reassuring to get a nod from the OS that all appears as it should and he's pleased with your progress. You're doing great!

I’m just ready for some P and Q
What does this mean, if you don't mind me asking. :) Is it a food reference?
I love some of the terminology of our UK members, but I don't understand some things. :heehee:
Enlighten me, Legseleven, I don't want to miss a thing. :wink:

I hope you have a lovely weekend!
 
Peace and Quiet! @Layla
It's good that your surgeon thinks your implants are fine to kneel on @Legseleven even if we think 7 weeks is early to try.
Great report!
 
Morning all, I so appreciate your input, it means a lot. Navigating all this especially solo is a challenge in itself and you’re all brilliant and so kind. @eaglemom @Layla @mendogal @Deni444
My compromise will be to try the bed first a La @EalingGran and not put full weight for a while. Will report back.
Yes P and Q is peace and quiet.
Now hopefully another sleep as pain woke me early.
 
Last edited:
So today (Day 53) I walked a little further, and later got a lift to a community thing, for a hour, and back. Had a sleep - when the energy drain struck - and afterwards had some visitors.
A new goal is to be able to walk to the community thing next week by gradually extending my daily distance, over the next week.
 
P & Q, peace & quiet, I love this. I just might adopt this as my mantra. I need some P & Q!!!

All kidding aside P & Q is vital in recovery and frankly life. It's just that many of us don't listen to our bodies when its telling us exactly what it needs. I think your new goal is excellent. The key, as you know it gradually extending your walks. Its tricky to not overdo, but you know how much you can do.

Good job.
 
Peace and Quiet...got it! :wink:
Since you wanted a little P & Q along with your cup of tea, I thought maybe it was some yummy English treat I wanted to hear all about, lol.

You're doing a great job, Legseleven... you've been a perfectly, perfect patient. Keep it up!
Wishing you lots of P&Q this weekend and some restorative rest too. :sleep:
@Legseleven
 
Day 54.
Walked to a further mailbox to catch today’s post this morning, and then walked around a little block this afternoon. Icing after each one. Google says first walk was .45 mile. Still on 2 crutches outside as the pavements are diabolically uneven. Very windy today so no third walk.
 
Fifty Four days in!
Your efforts are paying off. It can feel like a slog some days, but look how far you've come.
Each day you're getting a little closer to where you wan to be. Keep moving forward and trust the process, you're doing great, Legseleven! :ok:
@Legseleven
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom