Bilateral PKR On the other side

That’s too bad. I thought the handicapped tags were available in the UK on a temporary basis, but were just time consuming to do all the paperwork to get them. It was my understanding that if your doctor would prepare a letter describing your temporary disability and the length of time (12 months or less) that you would need the Blue Badge, it could be obtained. But I think this varies from council to council and a lot of areas just choose not to issue temporary Blue Badges at all.
 
Thanks @Jamie again.
I rang our local Council before the op and they said No.
I guess I could ask the GP. I’ll email tomorrow.

I’m awake in the small hours as I woke up anyway to turn over, it’s still a regular occurrence which the knees dictate every night, and I decided to slap a chemical ice pack on the left knee after yesterday’s exertions. I can’t get the Cryocuffs upstairs by myself and they’re more use downstairs.
I also took some paracetamol. See what the morning brings, it’s not too bad, and not unexpected. Worth it though.
 
Before my surgery I asked about the handicap parking pass and my orthopedic office said no, I didn’t qualify, so I never had them. It would have been nice, though.
 
Ok, I put my hands up. I’m in the ODIC today.
A little swelling. Stiffness, some pain. Reduced ROM.
Walked the lane. Icing often.
Not unexpected after yesterday.

Onwards.
 
Life happens and sometimes the overdidit club is worth it. Rest extra today and all will be well. :flwrysmile:
 
Ok, I put my hands up. I’m in the ODIC today
Oh no, I'm sorry. Do you think it was from the trek up to your studio?
Rest and ice should help as you sit this one out a bit. I hope tomorrow is a better day, betting it will be. :console2:
 
Yes @Layla I think it was probably the extra stairs.
I’m going to discuss with the physio tomorrow how best to manage this challenge, AND I’m open to suggestions from the Bonesmart team on how best to cope with a two storey house. The suggestions are often so good.

16 steps to first floor, bedrooms and shower, then similar again up to attic. 2 hand rails up all the way. Thanks all.

Tonight’s minor challenge is to make tea from a version of a Zoe recipe. A lemon and herby bean stew using tinned beans. Ought to be within the knee’s capabilities using the perching stool. Substituting the capers (have none) for some donated fresh green beans and adding in some spinach too.
 
At this early date, the 32 steps (total) sounds like more of a workout, than just a natural every day activity.
I'm guessing you're taking a break on the first floor, to either rest or hang out and find something to do there, before ascending the last 16 steps. If not, consider breaking up that trek to the top floor until your stamina increases and your muscles regain strength.

Had to look up "Zoe recipes" sounds very healthy...if I found the right, Zoe :wink:
I hope your version is delish. Enjoy!
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla. I do live in a tall house and have done for 6 years. I never thought of it as a workout before. Before the op it was a natural everyday activity and I’d like to get back to this asap.

The recipe was Lemon Butter Beans and I used cannellini beans. It was a nice change from a ready meal or as some say a Poppity Ping, or Ping Ping meal. Will freeze some too. Managed it and it is progress in the kitchen anyway.

Edit: Physio messaged tonight and cancelled tomorrow due to unforeseen circumstances. Will rearrange soon.
Hey ho.
 
Last edited:
So still in the ODIC today and lesson learned. Probably add in a NSAID after food.
Physio rescheduled the whole clinic for Sat and I might have recovered my knees and ROM by then.
Back to just walking on the flat and looking up the second flight of stairs longingly… :heehee:
Not concerned as up to Monday all going well, just a little disappointed.
I know 6 w is early days and my patience muscle needs strengthening some more,
Hey ho. Onwards, it’ll be fine.
 
I found this today. Very apt as I have no choice but to accept the current limitations on daily life, especially stair climbing.
One day at a time, one stair at a time.
Keep walking and recovery will come.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On the other side
    IMG_4080.webp
    99.5 KB · Views: 71
Love It!
Thanks for sharing, Legseleven!

Hope you're having a good Wednesday so far, over yonder...way across the pond. I'm only on morning coffee at this point.
Enjoy the rest of your day! :SUNsmile:
 
So it’s 3.30am and I’m in the wide awake club.
The knees appear to be settling a bit which is a relief.
I just got up (well down the stairs to the kitchen) to have a little cereal, unusual for me, but I took the next dose of paracetamol too. I just felt really hungry, and I’m never hungry at night.
I’ll try reading for a while.
 
I'm glad the knees are settling down a bit. It's good your having cereal with your med - you don't want an upset tummy to deal with.

For what its worth, I think your doing fabulous. Good days and not so good days just happen and you've learned from them. The recovery is long, but your doing great.
 
It doesn't matter where or when you sleep, as long as you do sleep. For months, I took a nap every day, and sometimes even two, because my nighttime sleep was so disturbed. Sleep is sleep, and as long as you get it, it's good!

Being hungry during the middle of the night is OK, too. Your body has been working extra hard at healing that knee and probably needed some feeding!
 
Day 45 (week 6)
I woke to a reassuring reset of the knees, back to where I was before the ODIC.
Went out to lunch at a cafe, and walked on a private road. New place, very nice a few miles away.
Afterwards I went back up to the top of the house, to shut the windows because of heavy rain, I came straight down, and iced and elevated straight after. :fingersx: Here’s hoping.
Meanwhile more knitting, jigsaw, reading and TV with frequent changes of position and ambulation.
 
She's baaaaack! :yes!:
Everyone needs to experience the ODIC once, right? Hope it's your last. Good to read you enjoyed lunch away from home and a nice walk afterward. Hopefully your trip upstairs to close the windows had no negative effect and you're sleeping like a baby about now. Have a great Friday and weekend!
@Legseleven
 
Day 47
Thanks all.
Normal recovery seems to have resumed.
Slept well, apart from the ‘wake to move’ pain that happens every couple of hours.
2 mins on chair pedals this morning. Few jobs in the house.
Walked 3 x up the lane and back = 660 yards total, 3 x 220, spaced out throughout the day. Continuing to increase incrementally, always icing after.
Seeing the physio tomorrow afternoon.
 
Glad you didn't overstay your membership in the ODIC!
Remember the 10% increment for safer increases in time, distance or repetition.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom