Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lizzicat Glad that my posts are helpful. I am sorry for your pain and discomfort. Today I walked outside for awhile with a cane, but the last stretch without the cane. When I came in I iced and took my one pain killer for the day. Not sure where my recovery should be at this point, but it I am still sore and stiff at times. It is just past 3 weeks since the surgery so I hope my recovery is going well. I can now get up and down the stairs normally, but just want to recover. I am not bruised at this point and my swelling has mostly disappeared. Walking pain free at one week does not seem realistic. Hope you recover easily and please keep in touch.
God bless you, Ken
 
I wanted to add here that my surgeon said "there is no normal" with THR. He advised me of this based on my numerous inquiries of "Is this normal?" And "How about THIS - is that normal?" I completely understand the need to have a baseline. The need to monitor and to check in and make comparisons.

At 10 weeks, I am struggling to walk at times. If this were a race depicted on a timeline, many others would have blown me away, as their recovery progress has been different. But I will still take what I have and where I am. It isn't a race nor a competition. I think we get so filled with anxiety about what is normal because we don't have anything to compare it to. And even those who have had both hips done say that there can be differences between their own two hips.

Regarding putting socks on - I have been using the sock aid for the operated leg since surgery. This week I tried to bend my leg in to put the sock on in the same manner that I do with the non-operated leg. It didn't work. So again, I was back to, "Is this normal?" I wondered to myself if: A. The operated leg will eventually be able to bend that way on its own given more time and healing or B. The operated leg needs to be encouraged to move that way, because shouldn't it be able to now? And if I work on trying, will that help it? or C. Maybe this is just going to be a limitation of the leg? It didn't move that way pre-surgery, after all.

When I asked the question, the answer was, "It might and it might not bend that way later." The reason for the answer (as inconclusive and unsatisfactory as it is) stems from two things - no one knows the future, and given the particular problems I had before, and what was required to restore my hip, I may not be able to do this.

I share this as an illustration that there are just too many variables. The important thing to focus on is your health and quality of life and making it the best it can be for you. Try and enjoy each day with where you are and what you have, hopeful for what can be, but grateful for what is better.
 
Day 26 post surgery- When I got out of bed this morning I leaned on the incision side, wow so painful. By this point I thought the scar sensitivity would be less. I am a teacher and return to work Sept 8. When I had the surgery July 6 the OS saiid by Sept you will be better than ever. It is now August and I can not imagine getting to that point in another month. I am walking mostly with the cane, but do some walking without it. After a bit my leg begins to hurt and I do not want to push myself. I know all recoveries are different, but I am worried about My goal for Sept. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
 
You are still very early out from major surgery. At less than one month the incision is bound to be sensitive. But take heart - lots happens in the next few weeks.

Having said that I am afraid your surgeon is being a bit aggressive on your return to work. Unfortunately we see this far too much here. The recommended return to work post THR is 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work. I calculate you will be about 9 weeks post op on your proposed return day. A bit early. You will still have lots of healing going on. And then there is the Energy Drain . It's real and you just can't fight it.

Can you do a phased return?
 
@Jaycey I am retired and work as a teacher part time from 1 to 4 PM. I am hoping I will be able to go back. Do you think with my hours Sept 8th is possible? Thanks for your reply.
 
Well 4 hours may be possible. But you will need to sit and rest during that time. Being on your feet for 4 hours will definitely be painful. You will also need to limit your activity to just work and home to rest - nothing else at first. It may be quite a challenge. But see how you feel in a couple of weeks. Six weeks out is usually a pretty good indicator of how you are doing.
 
Ken, it sounds to me like you are doing great! I hope to be doing as well at 3 1/2 weeks out! Since it is only 4 hours, you will likely be able to go back to work. Are you the person who teaches labs and must move from table to table? Can you use a stool at your students tables? Can you sit often?
3 months is probably a more optimal return to work, but since you are beholden to the school calendar, I hope you can make it work!
 
@OUCH! I teach Social Studies and generally do not sit, but if necessary I can. My hope is by Sept my recovery will be far enough along that I can do my 3 hours a day.
 
No one can say for sure of course, but it is possible that you can go back as long as you take some of the precautions Jaycey mentioned. I think you're doing just fine.
 
@Royal1383, I've been following your recovery posts and have been glad to see that things have gone OK w/no major problem, as I know you were concerned about that. (A concern that I, too, have re: my own situation, as you'll recall.) From past surgeries I've had, my experience is that energy level is the aspect of recovery that takes the longest. Best wishes.
 
Today is four weeks since the surgery When I woke up I had a new pain that is in the groin and shoots into the thigh area. It is not constant, but I feel it often enough. Even when just sitting, it is like a throbbing. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I pushed myself and walked outside yesterday more than in the past, maybe it is from that? Any comments would be welcomed.
 
I pushed myself and walked outside yesterday more than in the past
At only 4 weeks out pushing results in additional discomfort. No need to push. Keep icing and elevating and take your meds if needed. What seems impossible one day will be very easy then next.
 
Today is four weeks since the surgery When I woke up I had a new pain that is in the groin and shoots into the thigh area. It is not constant, but I feel it often enough. Even when just sitting, it is like a throbbing. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I pushed myself and walked outside yesterday more than in the past, maybe it is from that? Any comments would be welcomed.
I used to get a similar pain when I'd pushed myself a bit too hard with walking. It would always go away with some rest so I think it's normal. It's so good to see you recovering well because I know how nervous you were about the THR. Well done!
 
@Royal1383 I had a similar pain yesterday --came after my OS visit that left me very fatigued. I'm icing and doing simple stretches and squeezes today.
 
For me the energy on drain on return to work was more of an issue for me than the physicality. Don't underestimate the mental part of it. Some of that can be the drain of commuting to work.

Being able to do a 3-4 hour day seems reasonable if you take a few precautions. I echo @Chihuahuan as far as using a stool. Just having the stool available for short periods at a time will be helpful. I would also suggest icing religiously as you return to work.

I can also attest that you hit some rapid recovery spots in between 4 and 8 weeks. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the improvement you see in a months time. It won't always be improvement everyday, you may even backslide a few times, but overall you should see a nice difference.
 
Actually feel progress at 30 days post surgery. Walking at home without any device, still using the cane outside. My concern now is the incision site. At the very top of the incision there is scar tissue which looks like a big pimple, very red and sensitive. It is not infected or oozing, just looks angry and is very sensitive. It is right at my waist and it is difficult to keep my waist band off that spot. My wife suggested some antibiotic cream and a bandage. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
 
@Royal1383 Hi Ken. Glad you are walking well. Re your scar tissue: That's something I would ask your GP or OS's office about. I tend to want medical opinion about such things after surgery.
 
It could be a stitch that has surfaced. Give your surgeon or GP a call and have them take a look. If it is a stitch, they should be the ones to remove it for you.
 
Tomorrow is 5 weeks since the surgery. Just saw the OS regarding the scar tissue bleeding, he said normal no infection and he put new steri strips on the area. X-RAY of new hip looked very good and I am mostly walking without the cane. Still some muscle soreness and tightness, but it is improving. The best news is that I was cleared to drive!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom