THR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't feel like I walked without much of a limp consistently until around 6 weeks. If I really concentrated on it I could do it for 50 yards at a time at around 4 weeks. It took me 2 attempts to ditch the cane for good. I could go,without for a few days, but the limp returned as I got tired. You are not abnormal.
 
Day 16 post op. Going to the OS for follow up today. Yesterday morning I felt my best since prior to surgery, then I had PT. I walked outside up the block and back 2 times, climbed the stairs in the house, did chair exercises. After I iced and took a muscle relaxer, I got out of my chair to pain and soreness. This morning is a bit better, but not as good as yesterday morning. We will see what the OS says today. I expected more progress at this point.
 
I found a noticeable improvement at about three weeks post-op. The first two weeks I saw slow improvement. I think you're doing well at two weeks. Are you still icing? Good luck with your OS appointment. :-)
 
OS appt went well yesterday. He said the incision is healing beautifully and took off most of the dressing. Now I can see the scar (yuch). He said my PT can transition me to a cane. He was happy that I only take one pain killer prior to PT. When I asked about outside PT he said it is up to me. He said half his patients do walking and exercises at home, while others go to get their gait back. Please give me your opinions on outside PT. Thanks
 
I've had no PT because I progressed nicely on my own by just walking (increasing gradually and resting every other day early on). I actually didn't even do any of the exercises the hospital sent me home with (other than the ankle pumps the first week to avoid any blood clots). At one point (sometime between 6 and 8 weeks I think) I still had a mild limp and had considered starting PT to correct it, but I waited and now my limp has disappeared (I'm 5 months and 3 months post-op). I had also regained my ROM right away, so that wasn't an issue. I've seen members here end up with chronic pain issues from PT and I've seen other members who swear by PT and do really well with it. I just read a medical study where half the patients had PT and the other half did not and both groups recovered exactly the same. One important issue is to keep using your cane until your limp disappears, otherwise your brain memorizes the limp, making it much more difficult to get rid of.
 
Cynthia777 is right on target. You need to quit worrying about others and do what works for you. If you can move to a cane without limping, that is fine. If you limp, then you still need the support of your walker a while longer. Each of us recovers in our own time. There is no "normal" to judge where you are. If you're getting pain after therapy, then you're overdoing it. Please do read that link again Krista left you above about activity progression. You're well within an acceptable range.

I'm not sure why you would think you'd be recovering any faster than you are. You wouldn't read about that here! This is serious surgery. Recovery takes months. Work toward doing what keeps pain and discomfort at a minimum while your body continues to heal itself.

You really only need therapy if you are having gait issues later on. You can do walking yourself and that is really all that's required.
 
@Royal1383 at only days out of THR I really think you are expecting way too much. Frankly all the PT is just making your stiff and sore. I would stop it and just walk, walk, walk. Take your pain meds on schedule and when you feel confident transition to a cane - not before. Your recovery is yours alone - don't compare it to any other recovery.
 
@Royal1383 glad to see you here on the other side and on your way! I'm sorry that your surgical pain is still with you. I read in one of your posts that you're taking the oxy only before PT. The prescription you have for 4x a day is to keep your pain managed. I would like for @Josephine to weigh in on this and possibly help you get more comfortable than you are now.

Again...glad you're here and on the road to recovery! I'm 2.5 months out and have been pain free for much of that time. I did have to fire PT. I felt they were too aggressive and were creating pain that I knew was unnecessary. Walking on my own and increasing my distance a little every couple of days was the ticket for me. My hip no longer feels like a foreign object, but like my very own!
 
Day 20 post op. I finally got into my shower stall which is in my basement, and that was great. Operated leg still sore, but only swollen in a few spots. Still cannot bring my operated leg enough toward me to put on my socks, No more walker, walking with cane at this point. I find the operated leg feels worse toward evening, more soreness than earlier in the day. My home PT is over and I am doing the exercises myself. Still have not decided whether I want outside PT. So how am I progressing? Any thoughts feel free to share, thanks!
 
@Royal1383 Hi Ken: I think you are doing great! I would just keep doing what you are doing. When you add in all the walking you do everyday up and down stairs it's a lot of exercise. Unless you have a gait problem there is no need for extra PT. Jen
 
Day 23 Post op and making progress. Sore after doing PT regiment, not too bad prior to PT. Maybe I should just walk. I need some advice. I have been walking in the house?. My internist, who I saw yesterday thinks a walk outside is better. Is there really any difference? Another question, how long before most people can put on their socks. I was able to get my sneaker on and tie it, but no luck with my sock. Any experiences any of you can share would be appreciated. Thank you
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had more success walking outside because I could walk straight for a longer period of time. Helped,to get the rhythm of walking back easier. Inside the house I had too many turns to make, I could not concentrate on the mechanics because I constantly had to change direction. I would say that with the heat of the summer, whichever you can do (inside or outside) most consistently is what you should do. the important thing is that you listen to your body and walk as much as your body allows.
 
Need some advice-this morning for the first time the top of my incision scar has gotten very sensitive. I have dissolvable stitches and the tape peeled off last week. It did not bother me until now, if I move in a way that affects that area it is sensitive. It is not red or swollen it is just the top of the scar. Why would this happen after 3 weeks? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
It's very common to have skin sensitivity in the scar area. Gently rubbing it several times a day will help desensitize it. Time works too. It won't last forever.

You're doing fine! I vote for outside walking. It is easier to walk more when you're going in straight lines. Plus, you get the natural "unevenness" of sidewalks and grass that are not available to you when you walk indoors. It will be a bit more of a workout when you first start, so go slow with increasing your distance so you don't overdo it.
 
@Royal1383

Hi Royal,

Your posts are giving me some hope. I seem to be healing slower than a few, also, and just got Yelled at from a " friend" I asked to bring some ice over who said his mom and dad and aunt were all walking and pain free at 1 week.

Were you bruised at all? 11 days in and just noticed two new bruises on the front of my left knee. LTHR

I also am scared of getting in a car. Since I was on pain mgt. 16 years previous to hip surgery ( back issues ) I had to refuse meds from surgeon and my pain mgt. appt. was made for 2 weeks instead of usual month???

I don't have clearance to get in car yet and can't stop cold turkey after 15 years.

Mad at OS as he seemed very " surprised " that I was on pain mgt. even though I asked him 2.5 months prior to surgery if I should taper down and he said "no. Just do exactly what you've been doing."

I agree 100% with the take pain meds as scheduled. No need to worry about addiction. Addicts tend to stock pills to get a high rather than keep the meds steady in their blood. This is why pain mgt. docs always give patients extended release meds to work round the clock and breakthrough pain meds for when pain " breaks through" the primary.

I was on both and doctor actually CUT my PAIN MEDS DOWN immediately after surgery. That was cruel and traumatic.

It is very hard to control pain if it gets out of control due to the adrenaline and cortisol and fight flight hormones.

I've been reading and you tubing lots of articles about stress and pain, even the frontal cortex will shrink with chronic stress causing more stress. ( it will normalise after removing subject from stressful situation )

I hope you feel better. We are all different and I've been crying a lot because I seem to be very behind according to my arrogant doctors.)

Sending prayers your way,
Bless you
Diana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom