THR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr claims this is not unusual after surgery.
You know, sometimes you have to concede that doctors really do know what they are taking about!

@Royal1383 I have merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
This side is different to Pre-op. There you can make as many threads as you like. Over here, we prefer you to stick with just one thread, okay?

The reason is that it is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I had some blood pressure issues after surgery and that kept me in recovery an extra two hours before they could give me a room. I also almost passed out the first time I walked less than 10 steps to the bathroom. But it all gets easier. Everyone's experience is a little bit different. Glad you are posting. Keep us updated on your progress.
 
Very common to have a slight fever post op. Please don't worry about this. It will ease with time. Good to see you posting here.
 
I had high blood pressure to right after surgery and the nurses watched it and it was soon better. I no its hard to not worry but your on the upside of all this and soon you'll be back to dancing a jig.:dancy: sending you good vibes and well wishes for a speedy uneventful recovery.:tada: take care and god bless
:angel:
 
I came home Saturday,3 days after surgery, today is day 6 post op. I am getting PT everyday at home. My swelling is not that bad, but after PT the pain is bad. My upper leg is tender, but the nurse said the tissue is softer than it was. My blood pressure and vitals have been perfect. I get about 45 minutes of PT a day and wonder when the pain will lessen. I am sleeping well in my lift chair and trying to walk every 2 hours. The pre op discomfort was bearable compared to the discomfort I have now. I am fine when I stand to shave or prepare a meal. Hope some of you can share some of your experiences.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Royal1383 :wave: Hi Ken:
I'm sure it will take a while for the pain to go away considering what you have had done. With my knees I was on pain meds for about a month then Tylenol for a while longer. It all just takes time :yes: What meds are you on?
I am rescheduled for August 15 so I'll look to you for guidance after that :friends:
 
@Chihuahuan I am prescribed OxyCodone 5mg 4. Times a day and extra strength Tylenol as needed. I have not taken much of the OxyCodone. I take it before PT and when the leg really hurts. Glad you have been rescheduled, that means your heart issue is ok, I am glad for you
 
I wonder if the pt is overdoing it? I'm no expert, but I remember Josepine saying hips don't really need a lot of exercise to heal.

Also, I know from other surgeries I have had that staying in front of the pain is really important in the beginning. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon, but if you need the heavy duty pain meds, there is no reason to feel you should tough it out.
 
@gullimac nice hearing from you. The PT has me walking the steps, sitting in the chair and sliding my foot up to my waist, sliding the leg out 10 times and other exercises. I am now 7 days out when should the surgical pain ease?
 
@Royal1383 Are you icing? Icing goes a LONG way in dealing with pain. I iced continuously most of the day and I don't think I ever experienced more than a 2 pain-wise in recovery (unless I overdid it) and I think icing had a lot to do with it.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are being too aggressive with the PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Royal, I would back off or stop the PT and see if the pain lessens. My pain used to spike after PT. After two weeks, you will probably feel much better. I would also take the pain medications on schedule, not just before PT, or when you have pain. I really needed the Oxy, that's what gave me the most relief.

I think if you do that, rest more, ice, and just walk you will feel relief. You can always do the PT later. It takes a lot of time and rest to heal. Less exercise will get you there faster. There's plenty of time.
 
:what::what:@Hip Hip Hooray! My insurance covers at home PT 14 days after the surgery. The therapist claims we must get the muscles moving. Not sure which theory on PT is correct. Some friends claim it must be done now, others claim slow it down. Confused
 
my opinion for what its worth is that some pt is probably good, but not to the point of pain.
 
Please listen to your body. If you read threads here on Bonesmart, many people waited for PT, and they recovered beautifully. Most of the ones who had pain were doing too much PT.

I didn't have any PT, except the basic exercises in the hospital. I noticed that I felt fine, until after the PT, and then in a couple of hours or so, my pain would spike. As Josephine says, walking is plenty.

Therapist get paid for doing their work. They are not going to advise you not to do PT, but you don't have to do it. I wouldn't. You are home now, so it's your choice. My surgeon said to wait for one month before going back to the gym, etc.

I don't agree with your friends who are saying it must be done now. You have had an amputation and a dislocation. The tissues are highly sensitive. There is plenty of time.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! How do you figure "an amputation and a dislocation"? I don't generally think of hip replacement in that way. Just curious.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom