THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @AndyH99 I appreciate all the support. Looks like you are moving along quite well yourself!!
Have a wonderful day!!
 
Checking in! Hope all is well. From all the posts I read, everyone seems to be doing fine!!
I can't believe it will be three weeks on Monday. I had my check up on Thursday and all went well. OS was calling staff in to watch me walk. No limp and no sign I just had my hip replaced. I can only attribute it to thirty five years of martial arts where balance was extremely important. Of course it's also the reason why I needed my hip replaced. I discussed precautions with the PA and she said twelve weeks. I can live with that. Am ready to give up the pain meds. Slowly. I have very little pain and the meds make me so tired.

I had a good cry today. Most of my family are vacationing in Florida. We planned the trip last year. My two sons have been taking very good care of me, but today I felt sorry for myself. I'm fine now. There is so much to be grateful for!! I also think it just hit me how enormous this surgery was. Well off to bed. Can't wait to sleep on my stomach someday
 
Thanks @Jaycey. It was so strange how quickly these feelings washed over me. One minute I was fine and then BOOM! Does make me feel a bit better knowing it's a normal reaction to everything I have been through.
 
@GGAZ, sending cyber hugs your way. I truly do think this process is a roller coaster. Cry those tears, hippie buddy. They'll make way for the rainbow on the horizon. :)
SO happy to read about your check up and the no limping! Wonderful!
 
Thanks @DeepBreath. Hugs to you!! How are YOU feeling? You are definitely right about this roller coaster. As much preparation I tried to make, there was really no way of knowing what life would be like on this side! It does get better everyday regardless of the challenges. :flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
@GGAZ
Congratulations to you for a great post op visit. 3 weeks already? Where does the time go? Sorry you had to miss the family vacation but there will now be so many others to look forward to. And the best part is that you won't have that nagging hip pain to deal with any more. And, those weepy spells will soon pass, as well. Keep up the great work and you will be enjoying life before you know it.
 
@GGAZ, the planning and preparation helped me feel more in 'control' leading up to surgery, but while I'm certainly glad I did it, you are SO right about not being able to predict how life on the other side is. Some of it is actually a great deal easier than I thought it would be. The emotions though...they can be challenging. Then again, this is a huge life event; getting our pain under control and regaining our independence, that's incredible.
I guess it would be odd if there weren't some profound emotions that went along with it. :)

I'm doing good, thank you. It's a beautiful, sunny day here. My perfect kind of day, actually. Sunny, highs in the 70's, low humidity. It's glorious!
I hope it is beautiful there in AZ and that you're enjoying your day. :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning @GGAZ I just read your post and I too am sorry you missed your family vacation. You put into words the way I have felt the last couple of days. So thankful that the hip pain is gone but struck by the enormity of the surgery. Yesterday I took @Doodles51 advice and went downtown for my walk, I didn't walk any farther but was on my feet longer as I was 'window' shopping, it was a beautiful day and amazing what being outside did for my morale. I'm sending happy, healing vibes to you today, I hope you are able to spend some time in the sun to lift that cloud away, it will pass. All the best to you as you continue this roller coaster ride to recovery. :thumb:
 
I understand what you mean about the emotions. Doing this surgery was the biggest decision I've ever made. I think the risks are also very frightening, on many levels. So glad to hear that you are walking well. I agree that the martial arts probably has a lot to do with that. I felt the same way about my dance training. It was kind of ironic. Like you, that's why I had to have the surgery.
 
Hey @GGAZ.... Just checking to see how you are doing. Haven't heard from you in a few days and am hoping you are doing better.
:hi:
 
Hi @Nana757 thank you for checking in on me! I'm doing okay. I had been feeling more spunky, which probably lead me to doing more than I should. I am so exhausted but find it hard to sleep except for little cat naps. For me and I'm sure for others, it affects my mood:gaah:. I'm frustrated and just want to feel normal again. I know we probably all feel the same way so I don't want to complain! :banghead:
I hope all is well with you! These feelings will pass! Thank you again!
 
Oh @GGAZ, you will get there before you know it! I know how frustrating it can be, trying to be patient and wishing the recovery would just hurry up and be over with. I realized today that I am only 2 weeks away from my 3-month anniversary and honestly can't get my head around how quickly the time passed. And, I was a telling someone today that I am now doing 100% of everything I want to be able to do (except tie my op side shoe). But that little thing will come soon, once I get released from my restrictions. Have a happy day, my friend!
 
Hello @GGAZ I really know what you mean about feeling exhausted! I'm not sure how much of the exhaustion is because of what we are doing and how much is our body just reminding us we are still healing and to slow down. I'm sorry you haven't been sleeping well. I have been taking a tramadol before bed, even though I don't feel like I'm in pain I do notice that when I get in bed at night I notice every little thing. Normally I am a 'no drug' kind of person but I decided that healing was the most important thing right now. Try to keep you room as cool as possible and go to bed at the same time every night, I find this difficult myself but both are supposed to help with falling and staying asleep. It's only been three weeks for you, share all your feelings and complain if you want to, sometimes just expressing those thoughts releases them from our minds and allows us to move on. More happy, healing vibes on their way to you.
 
@Nana757 and @Plum Perfect thank you so much for your support. I get angry with myself because I don't like being a cry baby:eeeuw:. I'm not sure but maybe part of it is weaning off my meds. They used to help me sleep but I'm pretty much done with them. The restrictions I was so worried about have not been so bad with the exception of sleeping on my back (another reason for my trouble sleeping). This will all pass. God knows patience in not a virtue I posess!!
I'm so happy that you are both doing well. I appreciate all of your kindness :roseshwr:!!!
 
@GGAZ
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble sleeping. I noticed the time of your last post...poor baby. Have you tried sleeping on your right side, yet? There is a trick to doing it and being comfortable, without breaking restrictions. It does take about 3 pillows, but it can be done. Also, have you tried any OTC sleep aides?
 
Hi @Nana757 I have tried but I'm afraid once I fall asleep I'll move. I was so tempted last night to try and get on my stomach. I think the reason they don't advise that is the position your feet will be in (they should be pointed up). But I was thinking if I move down and let my feet hang over the mattress a little bit that might work. What do you think?
 
@GGAZ, oh, the sleep problems! I don't do well without my precious sleep either. It seems it only takes a short time going without proper sleep to get me in a twist.
Sending good thoughts and good sleep vibes your way. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom