THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GGAZ, so glad that all worked out okay. I'm sorry you went through that. I would have been a wreck.
I cannot believe a substance like that not coming with directions. Whenever I get a new hair straightener, blow dryer, etc, there are three pages of instructions and warnings - especially the one advising the user to not 'use while sleeping', but this cream had nada. EGADS!
I hope you're doing well, hippie friend. :)
 
Wow!! It's been 2 weeks since my surgery. I am still very tired. Not sure if it's the meds or being anemic. I did have a blood transfusion and also a giant bag of iron after that!! My PT comes 3x a week. I had to tell her to back off a bit because I feel she is pushing me too hard. She told me next week we will start using bands around my ankles while doing certain exercises. I hate those things!! And honestly can't imagine being at that point. I'm walking well. I don't need my walker or crutch but I use them anyway. I'm trying to be of the mindset "just because you can doesn't mean you should ". I have my first follow up on Thursday and only have one issue that is upsetting me big time. When I was in the hospital I learned my OS has his patients follow restrictions for six months. I have never heard of such a thing!!!! I can't even image what would warrant that since most people are free at six weeks. Twelve at the most. Has anyone run across this?:bawl:
 
Hi @GGAZ , two weeks and still tired - sorry but LOL! I was still knackered after two months some days so that really made me smile - thank you. You obviously want to get back to "normal" but slow and steady will win this race; if you try and push it you could find yourself progressing even slower if not going backwards. Small steps forward every day, end of the week it's still a leap forwards.

Good for you on standing your ground on the PT, as per the mantras , if it hurts don't do it! I'm pretty sure you'll put them and their bands back in their box if they push too hard. I had my first solo gym session yesterday (@ 10wks) and it was rather fun, but also rather funny. Back in my competition days a 1,000lb leg press wasn't uncommon, yesterday 120lb kicked my butt after a couple of sets; oh how the mighty fall, but damn I had a good laugh with a couple of old training partners afterwards

I can't comment on restrictions, I wasn't given any from day one based on the approach and surgery result. I get to see tomorrow if that's still true at my checkup.

Have a great healing day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Hi @GGAZ just catching up with your progress and I am impressed that you feel that you could walk without aids already I cannot imagine being at that stage in a weeks time as at the moment I am very reliant on my 2 canes.With regard to your fatigue, as Andy has highlighted this can go on for weeks afterwards after all we have just gone through major surgery and healing needs a lot of energy.Add to that your anaemia and it is none the wonder that you are still tired.
With regards to restrictions mine are for 6 weeks but I remember with my first hip I was advised to step down slowly between 6 and 12 weeks to be on the safe side eg I kept the toilet seats until 3 months I remember reading on here of another person who was told they were fo a lot longer and it may have been for life but she was reassured by the moderators on here that this was not necessary.I think all surgeons have their own ideas on this and you may have to negotiate with him at your next appointment.
 
Hi GGAZ,
WE are progressing along the same rate! I still hunker down for lengthy naps. I walk around well and do a few things then the sleepy's settle over me in an instant. I think I heard that when a person needs an infusion or transfusion that it still takes the body a while, like several weeks to rebuild the hemoglobin levels.
I am so so sorry to hear about the possibility of longer restrictions.
All I can say is that you should go prepared and well armed with your information so you can be a bit assertive with your questioning. But seriously, if it takes longer it's still a short time in relationship to the rest of our lives with good hips!!
Have a good day and Happy Healing!
 
@CricketHip glad to hear you are progressing nicely as well!
As far as the restrictions, I would understand if I had a specific reason for 6 months of precautions. But evidently my Dr requires this across the board. It makes no sense to me. Two people with the same procedure. You can bend over (after 6-8 weeks) but I can't? Yikes!:dubious: I can't wait to find out his reasoning :what:.
Have a wonderful day!
 
My goodness, I know I certainly continue to be very sleepy at times and it often takes me by surprise. I'll be doing fine, sitting in the living room enjoying time with my boys, or some other little activity and all of a sudden I'll think, "Wow, I have to go rest NOW."
I'm no expert on the transfusion side of things, but I have had anemia and it does knock the stuffing out of you.
Everything in it's own good time, @GGAZ. You'll get there. Be kind to yourself. Your body just went through a major ordeal.
Sending good thoughts your way, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @GGAZ
Thought I would put my 2 cents in. It amazes me the vast differences in the restriction protocol OS's set for their patients. Mine put 3 months on me but promptly added a caveat...that I would still need to be cautious for the rest of my life. The way I look at it is, it is a small price to pay for getting my life back. And, once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. Yeah..there are certain inconviences at times, but you learn to get around them. I had posterior and at nearly 10 weeks, I have mastered the golfer's reach and have no need for the grabber any more. Not sure I'll ever give up the raised toilet seat as I find it very nice not to have to "plop" down on the toilet anymore. I will trash the handbars, though.....just a little too unpleasant to look at when guests have to use the bathroom. And the drained feeling will diminish, in time. You did have a transfusion and are anemic and that adds to your overall weakness. I can't remember...are you taking vitamin supplements now with emphasis on iron?
Take it slow and you will be fine, sooner than you think. Best of luck to you. :)
 
@GGAZ glad to catch up with you, like the others here I am laughing that you are surprised by your sleepiness :rotfl: You are walking so well and had more to contend with than many of us. Make sure you do ask your OS for his reasoning, mainly for your own peace of mind. Sometimes it is a CYA restriction just to avoid any possible issue. Every OS has their own routine. My OS doesn't push PT, we can do it if we want but he prefers nothing before the two week check up and you have PT coming to your home 2X week. Very different. Perhaps your OS had a patient with a dislocation and wants to be extra careful. Is there something specific you want to do that would be inhibited by the restrictions? You are only 2 weeks now you may find they are not as onerous as you think. When my friend had her 2 hips done in 2006 or 7 she was told the restrictions were for life! You are doing so well focus on the great results you have achieved, walking with no aids at 2 weeks, Bravo!! Give yourself a break, let your body recover, 2 weeks is nothing. Sending happy, healing vibes to you.
 
Hello @Nana757 and @Plum Perfect! I'm happy I was able to give everyone some comic relief by commenting on how tired I am!!!! Now that everybody thinks I'm a nut....I knew I would be tired but there were a couple days there when I got out of bed I would get a cup of coffee and go sit in my cozy recliner, set an alarm for my meds and fall asleep until midnight, get up and go back to bed!!! That has gotten a bit better. I was really freaking my poor husband out.
My PT was here today and couldn't believe how well I walk without any aide. I am very grateful for that. I know there is a long road ahead and am not trying to rush things along.
As far as the precautions go, everything I have ever read indicates 6-12 weeks. I'm fine with that. But 6 months is a very long time. Plum Perfect, you asked if there is something specific the restrictions would affect. Yes there is. I take care of my one year old granddaughter full time and would like to think after 12 weeks I can resume doing so. I am taking things very slowly and am committed to my recovery. I truly am enjoying concentrating on myself for once and not worrying about what everyone is going to have for dinner!!
So that's my story! I hope you are doing well and I sincerely appreciate all of your advice!!:flwrysmile:
 
@GGAZ now that you have the goal of taking care of your granddaughter at 12 weeks share that with your OS and ask him what criteria would have to be met to make that happen. You are not complaining about the restrictions per se, you have something important to you thatyou want to do. It seems to me completely inappropriate that you would find this out just before surgery. You are only 47, and doctor should have known you had things you needed to do. What is different about his surgery that he wants to have such excessive restrictions? I would start by sharing your desire and move to the more forceful approach as needed. You are doing so well I believe your OS could develop a plan to meet your needs. Stay strong and continue those healing ways, all the best to you.
 
Oh @GGAZ, I was not laughing. In fact, I feel bad for you because I know how drained you must feel. Your body is letting you know that rest and sleep is more important than anything else right now. As I said before, you did have a transfusion and that, in itself, takes a toll on your energy. Not to mention the major surgery you've just been through.
Your baby granddaughter is lucky that you will be there to take care of her. After 12 weeks, you may be able to do most activities it would take to care for a 1 yr old. But, you will need to be careful about leaning down and picking her up or twisting toward your op side. When the time comes for you to start caring for her again, you'll be used to the restrictions, learned how to make adjustments for them and they will become second nature. Have a good night!
 
Hi @Plum Perfect . That sounds like a very good way to approach this. I'll update Thursday after I see him. Thanks for all the support!!
 
Thanks @Doodles51. Hoping all is well with you and as always I feel blessed with so much support. Have a peaceful night!
 
@GGAZ in all seriousness, you're doing great! With the progress you are making I'd be very surprised if you don't make some great steps forward over the next few weeks. You'll soon be shooting round the park with the grand kids & almost forgetting you had the op done.

Have a great recovery day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom