THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GGAZ Glad to hear you've made it home, even after the additional stress of transfusion and infusion, as you say at least you are home now.

I hope the log leg feeling disappears quickly and you have as little pain as viable to get you started on the healing road & I'm with @topgun about the added chocolate

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@Plum Perfect Thank you! I surely didn't expect the transfusion, but didn't mind a couple of extra days in the hospital! When are you scheduled?
 
@GGAZ
So happy to hear you are home and nestled in. I hope you are resting comfortably now and are feeling a bit stronger. Keep on top of your pain meds and sleep as often as you can. As @AndyH99 and @topgun have said, the log leg will begin to get lighter and lighter each day and with every step you take. AND, chocolate is always good for what ails you! Have a very restful night. Sweet dreams.
 
@GGAZ my date is Wednesday, thank you for asking, I'm trying to get everything done. Did toenails on 4 dogs yesterday, hired a gardener this morning to get yard in order, had my prescriptions filled, preparing meals, etc. I've had a few panic attacks, I must be dreaming something because it wakes me up at night. Walking as much as I can without overdoing it.
I'm glad you are home and are comfortable. Dark chocolate covered almonds are a girls best friend ...
 
@Plum Perfect Wednesday will be here before you know it! Two days before the surgery was the worst for me. I was very teary eyed and very anxious. But by the day before I was feeling upbeat and ready to get this over with. :dancy:You are going to be spectacular! Won't be long now! Keep the faith
 
Thank you @GGAZ, I really needed that upbeat support. Knowing you are home recovering, after all the extras, is very confidence boosting. Keep that recovery going well, I'm so happy for you.
 
Hello @GGAZ, just dropping in to see how you are recovering? I'm 36 days from surgery, not that I'm counting, and had such a rough night last night; I was in so much pain I started wondering if my femur was broken in some way. Argh. How are you getting on?
 
Hi @sandiegomom! 36 days to go! That day will be here before you know it. It's been 1week ago since I've had my surgery. I am doing well. The nurses in the hospital were very impressed with how well I move (getting in out of bed, going for walks around the floor ect). I didn't tell them I had been practicing beforehand!! I'm taking my pain meds religiously and not waiting for the pain to begin. As far as pain goes, it's amazing the arthritic pain is GONE! I am bruised pretty badly and very swollen. But when you think about what they did it should hurt! I'm tired so I nap a lot. My husband bought me a power recliner and it is so comfortable. Physical Therapist comes to the house and we go over exercises. I'm so happy I did this. I feel like a new person and you will too!! Are you having posterior or anterior? If you are having posterior you can busy yourself with all the gadgets you will need. Keep busy. It helps the time go faster. Good luck!!!:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning to you @GGAZ! We are on our 8th day!! ( Is that right? I get confused on the counting)
You sound like you and I are progressing along at the same speed.
I am swollen, still. but it's going down quickly now. I am surprised at the lack of deep bruising.. mostly bruised around my knee and at the ankle!
WE did it!! I wake up and count my blessings daily!!!
 
@GGAZ
You hit the nail on the head. Practicing beforehand makes all the difference in the world. I highly recommend it. It's so good to hear you are doing well. And what a wonderful hubby you have to get you a power recliner. I hear they are the bomb! And, the more you ice, the quicker the swelling subsides...along with elevating as often as possible. Have a wonderful recovery day!
 
Good morning @GGAZ so happy to hear how you are doing, only 8 days! We are so fortunate to have this opportunity. Continue that great recovery.
 
OK @Nana757 and @GGAZ what DID you practice? I only have today but don't know what you did ahead. I have been trying to figure out how to get in and out of my bed. Mine is the right hip and my bed only has access on the right side, I think getting on/in will be OK but not sure how I'll maneuver out. Having always been active and fit, until recently with the hip, I can't imagine myself unable to maneuver. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
 
Plum Perfect, my operated side was the right side and I get into bed from the right also. I get out of bed by bending my left leg and keeping the operated (right) leg straight out in front of me, then getting up on my elbows, lift my butt and scooting over to the side of the bed until I am close enough to swing my legs over to the side simultaneously.

The first week after surgery this was tough to do because the operated side was like a log so you may need someone to help you lift that leg until some feeling comes back, or another alternative they showed me in rehab was to loop a gait belt around the foot, then you can lift the leg on the operated side without breaking your restrictions.
 
@GGAZ Great to read about someone out the other side... I'm two weeks with a temp spacer - another 5 to go until I get the full prosthetic - I can only wish my recovery is as good as yours!! Best of luck with everything, will be keeping a keen eye on your progress :)
 
Hi @Plum Perfect!
I'll be glad to share what and how I practiced, before surgery.
Getting in and out of bed: first thing I did was bought a good sturdy bed rail, which I placed near the head of the bed. If you go to me thread, there is a picture of it. Then I practiced backing up to the bed, sitting down, with your op leg extended, scooting as far back until both legs are on the bed, at least to just below your knees. This always you to use your good leg for support to maneuver your legs around in front of you, while leaning back. If your having posterior approach, it is important not to lean forward to help your leg. As @Hipster Girl said, having a belt of some sort (I used my bathrobe belt) to loop around your op leg to help slide it to where it is straight in front of you. BTW, there are tons of YouTube videos that show how to get in and out of bed after THR. I think I watched everyone of them. I also found that if I scooted all the way to the foot of the bed, this was a ton easier, if you have the space and no big footboard on your bed. I did this in the hospital bed, too, especially when I was in a hurry to go potty.
Getting on and off the toilet: if you have a low toilet, it's vital that you either get a toilet seat riser or a 3/2/1 toilet. Of course, this only applies if you are going to have the standard restrictions. Just back up to the toilet and hold on to your walker or grab bars, extend your op leg out and use your good leg for support to sit down. The same when you get up.
Getting in and out of your recliner: first, make sure your seat is going to be high enough that when you back up and sit down, your not breaking your restrictions. I used a couple of bed pillows. You learn quickly how to use your arms to lift yourself back and forward to get in and out. If you have a manually operated recliner, you will not be able to close the footrest yourself. That would be a big no no! I have a manual recliner and ended up using a foot stool instead, because I didn't want to have to depend on my hubby every time I got up. Of course, if you have one of those remote controlled or electric ones...no problem...you're good to go!
So those are the 3 biggies...the rest are what I consider minor and you'll be shown everything else during your PT and OT. I hope this helps.
Best of lucks to you tomorrow. I'll be anxiously awaiting your post op thread!

And @GGAZ .... So sorry for impeding on your thread!
 
@boseytal hello and welcome. This is definitely the place you want to be!! You have been through so much and are so young. I'm sure it was hard to wrap your head around the fact that you needed a THR. I know it caught me off guard. But here I sit with a new hip. I was also in tremendous pain before my failed arthoscopy. But afterwards it was unbearable. It's really important to get a grip on the pain and manage it properly. But the good news is there is light at the end of this tunnel! Glad you are here.
 
@Plum Perfect hope everything went well! In response to what did I practice, getting in and out of bed for one. My husband bought a rail for the side of the bed and also a strap that helps to lift your bad leg. So I back up to the mattress and put the bad leg out straight in front of me. I feel for the mattress behind me and lower myself down. I use my good leg to help push me back in the bed. I then put the strap around the bad leg and then hoist both legs together up on the bed. I then use the rail to pull myself up towards the head of the bed. Sounds like an ordeal but is actually pretty easy. The leg strap is a life saver. You don't have to get in any strange positions to get it on. Got it on Amazon. It was around 14 bucks. you must be exhausted ! Keep us posted!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom