THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day nine!! A quick rundown on how recovery is going...
Physical Therapist came to my home yesterday and we started on some new exercises. Bridges and modified snow angels. My body did not like the snow angel, especially when she tried to "help" me move my log leg. She was here again today and I told her I was sore and 2 days in a row is too much. So we eased up a bit. I have quite a lot of swelling in my butt all the way down to my foot. A lot of bruising too. The hip area is as hard as a rock and is getting a little lumpy where some of the swelling is breaking up. In general I am doing well. Elevating and icing (just got the best ice pack ever on Amazon). Taking my pain meds like clock work and sleeping pretty well. I have a prescription for a topical pain reliever called Ketoc1 cream. Active ingredient Ketoprofen. Curious if anyone has heard of it. Anyway, that's my update! Hooray for the September Sapphire's. We made it!:angel:
 
Bridges and modified snow angels.
moving the leg to the side I can understand (within limits). But (and this is just my opinion) I really think bridges are not of any benefit at this stage.

And yes, do back off if you need to. The best PT for hips is walking.
 
@GGAZ
You sound great and you're nine days closer to a glorious pain free life! Soon you will be back to doing even the simplest of things (such as just standing up) without having to give it a second thought! How awesome is that?

I often find myself feeling down when watching someone on TV doing a certain strenuous activity (skiing, mountain climbing, marathon running, cartwheels etc.) because I'm not physically able to do them. Now keep in mind, this is coming from someone whose most strenuous activity (pre-pain) and for the past 25 years or so, was strolling through a shopping mall)! :heehee:

God bless and know I'm lifting you up in prayer. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 I would do that, too! I would see people older than me walking briskly down the sidewalk and it would make me sad.
@GGAZ Yes, Hooray for the Sapphires!! :yes!::happydance::yay::yay::happydance::yes!:
And aren't you the one that had the failed arthroscopy? I bet you feel a lot of improvement from the days of pre op. You really had significant pain. :( So, forgive me for not being able to keep track but your surgery was a posterior approach? You are doing really well!!
Now I want to go try a snow angel. That one might be a good one to do.. tentatively.
 
Hey there @GGAZ! So happy to hear you are doing well. Keep up the good work. Before you know it, the swelling will start quickly disappearing. You are doing all the right things...icing and elevating. I'm curious, where are you supposed to apply the Ketoc cream? I certainly hope it's not at the incision site.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Nana757 yes the cream should be applied on the site but NOT on the incision. I found that out the hard way. The cream came with no directions except apply to the site. Also no warnings. Very little info on Google. Anyway I applied it. Was very rich and felt good. I made sure it was well absorbed before pulling my pants up. Next time I had to go to the bathroom and pulled down my pants it was like pulling wallpaper off a wall! Anyway everything looked fine. The next day my incision started bleeding out of a very tiny area. When I laid down it was fine. But standing it would bleed. Saw the Dr today. She said it looked fine but to stop taking my aspirin tonight. She is going to call the company and tell them about my experience. it's a very effective treatment but digging up info I found it is a powerful narcotic. If I had covered it with plastic wrap (which I thought about doing to protect my clothes) it could cause a fatal heart arrhythmia because it would have been cut off from oxygen. Nice to know. I am not happy about any of this. But I should have done my due diligence.
 
Wow! That is a serious cream ! With no instructions.. yikes! Glad you are okay.
 
Oh my heck, that's ridiculous! Kind of scary that a medication that could be potentially fatal, by something as minor as covering it up, would even be on the market! I'm just happy you didn't cover it and I bet you're happier than I am! :yikes:
 
Holy Toledo! Glad you found out about the cream before anything worse could have happened. Thanks for the warning, also.
Glad you seem to be recovering well. Keep it up!
 
Hi @CricketHip! Yes I had the posterior approach and yes, the failed arthoscopy. I don't know if snow angels would be good for someone who had the anterior approach. So you should check! I have had physical therapy so many times throughout my life for different athletic injuries. One thing I have learned is you can sustain new injuries from therapy. A few years ago I injured my left arthritic knee and had arthoscopy. Eventually I will need a replacement but for now it feels great. I have to be very careful to not aggravate my knee with hip exercises. Sometimes I have to keep reminding my therapist about this!! Anyway, sounds like you are doing awesome!! Keep up the good work:wow::tada:
 
Yes you're not kidding @Mimi#51. I have become way too lax as I get older. I was much better off when I was cynical and questioned everything. Maybe I should put a thread up regarding this just to warn people to be careful. It's a very effective medication so I don't want to discourage anyone. What do you think?
 
By all means, I think a warning thread for the cream will be beneficial. I don't know if you need permission to do so, but I think it's should be out there where it will be read by everyone.
 
I googled it, which is why I questioned if you were instructed to put it on the incision site. The site I came across also warns of heart/stroke problems because it is a heavy duty NSAID. And, apparently it does resemble plaster or something like that. So that's probably why it "peeled off". I also read It is commonly used on horses, for muscular disorders. But, on another note, I was told and have read that nothing should be put on or near the incision site until it is completely healed. Glad you didn't cover it...that could have been really bad. I take it you're not using it anymore. Have a restful night and keep up with your good recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news is you cannot get this without a prescription and pharmacy's do not carry it. Do not confuse this drug with ketoconazole cream. That medication is to treat fungus. This medication I'm talking about, Ketoprofen, is a NSAID topical pain reliever used for arthritis, sciatica ect. My only complaint is there was no information provided regarding...well, anything!!!!!!!!!
 
I agree 100% @GGAZ....there should have been some kind of instruction, warning booklet with the cream. That is totally unacceptable! I hope you are doing much better this morning.
 
@Nana757 I was fine but then my incision started to bleed from a tiny tiny hole. I could not get it to stop. I ended up going to the Dr. They said it looked fine and put a new dressing on it. They also said not to take the aspirin I take 2x daily for blood clots. It finally stopped bleeding tonight. Other than that, all is good. How are you?!!!
 
@GGAZ Sounds like a bit of a nightmare with that cream, but glad to hear your still recovering OK. Agree on the warning thread, the more we share the info we find the better the next persons recovery.

Take care and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Very happy to hear the bleeding finally stopped. That must have been very worrisome for you. Hope it doesn't happen again. I'm doing great, thank you! Got absolutely nothing to complain about. It still amazes me that I'm just a little over 9 weeks post-op and I dare say I'm at least 90% recovered. I hope your recovery process continues to improve and you start seeing rapid results. Have a great day @GGAZ!
 
GGAZ that was a scary report about the cream so glad it all came out well and the bleeding finally stopped. Have a great day today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom