Guest viewing is limited

THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like the perfect solution. Just be sure your feet hang far enough over that they point totally down. Also, I found that if I put a couple of pillows behind me and one almost under my tummy, it stopped me from rolling over. In addition to the ones between my legs. Yeah....I'm a pillow freak! Good luck!
 
@GGAZ missing sleep is the worst!! I'm so sorry for you. When I first got home I was really worried about sudden movements because I would nap so soundly I'd forget where I was. I used pillows as was suggested and very moved from position, I hope it will work for you and you get some rest. Sending you sleepy time thoughts.
 
Good morning! Hope everyone is doing well. It's a beautiful cool morning here in Arizona. It has been four weeks today since my surgery. My recovery is going very well with the exception of one problem. My Psoas muscle. I had a problem with this prior to my surgery although at the time I attributed it to my hip. It's that pesky little problem that prevents you from lifting your leg more than a few inches off the floor. The pain is deep within the groin. I have looked through prior posts but I don't see anything that offers much hope. Some people have had surgery to "release" the muscle. The thought of a third surgery in a three month period and additional recovery makes my head explode. So, please, HELP!!!!!!
Other than that, life is good!:dubious::bawl::flabber::what::beg:
 
So sorry you are suffering with that Psoas muscle! I'm going to tag our exercise expert @alexthecat to see if she can give you may tips on strengthening.
 
My best advice is "don't panic!" Like you, I had other hip surgeries before my THR. I went into THR with my psoas screaming at me and, when I came out, it was worse. The pain peaked when I was about six weeks post-THR and then it got better all at once, without me really doing much.

So, for now, I would use ice wherever it helps and try to baby that psoas. You know that the psoas muscles raise your leg and it also kicks in when you sit up from a supine position. Try to use your arms to assist with those motions and really go easy on the PT exercises. My advice would be to give up any exercises completely until you've started to see some improvement in your psoas. Then, I would think about stretching, rather than strengthening, exercises.
 
@GGAZ you may have noticed that I moved your posts about your psoas muscle to your recovery thread. Please keep all your recovery posts here so that we can better advise you during recovery. Thanks!
 
Hi @GGAZ.. So sorry to hear about the psoas.. can you tell if it's primarily lower down towards the hip ( iliopsoas) or up higher like naval area? I agree with the sitting up aspect, which can be tough right now for us at 4 weeks.. I bought a nice bed rail so I wouldn't antagonize mine,, and also help my poor neck, which seems to be my chief complaint.
So, of course I am a huge proponent of massage therapy. I confess that I have worked on mine since the second week of recovery. I found the most prominent area of need to be close to my hip bone and then lower.

If you could find a massage therapist who practices neuromuscular or corrective massage or even better an Osteopath who does hands on body work and manipulations, I think you would get some good relief through them.
There are stretches but my first question would be to the OS team and see if they did some deep stretches on that side. I know my surgeon did stretching of my good hip because that hip tends to be elevated and rotated.
he said there is a fine line in performing those stretches because there are nerve endings at the attachments and they try not to aggravate the nerves.
If the hip was stretched, then we need more than 4 weeks to heal..I try to think of my hip and knee as recovering from a bad sprain and sprains can take 6-8 weeks to heal.

That is just my take on it. but I hope it helps give you some other options to think about.
I also usually check the matching major support muscle to the Psoas in any client with that issue. there is a muscle in our lower back called the Quadratus Lumborum-- I find it goes hand in hand with the posts and both should be factored into the mix when problem solving.

We are at 4 weeks!! It's a bit freaky to me, the time is whizzing past so quickly! I see my OS team on Wednesday. Can't wait to get their take on things.
 
@CricketHip I'm seeing my PT tomorrow and will discuss my situation and see what they have to say. I had this problem prior to surgery so I know it hasn't been caused by it. I also know PT aggravates it a lot! I will aggressively seek a solution. I didn't come this far to end up with this pain. I'm definitely going to look into your advice regarding the massage therapy.
Hope you are doing well. Sounds like you are!:wow:
 
Thanks @GGAZ
That's my fear, too. Psoas or other tendons acting up. I'm so grateful that my OS keeps the PT to a minimum.
You will get it figured out! I can tell my hips are misaligned. I am tempted to go for an adjustment and see how I fare.
I am starting some back toning exercises now, too. That will help the hips stay strong. It's a journey, yes?
But we've got this, it's only been 4 weeks!
 
@GGAZ, I'll be winging good thoughts your way that your psoas muscle heals up without the need for more surgery. Stay strong!
Glad to hear you were enjoying a lovely, cool morning in AZ. This is a wonderful time of year. :)
 
@CricketHip @DeepBreath @Mimi#51 went to PT today and discussed my problem. We started Active Release Therapy. I was so relieved to find he has been trained in this. So keeping my fingers crossed!
Oh, I started driving today! Freedom! One more step towards normalcy !!!:loveshwr::spin:
Hope you are all doing well:wave:. One step at a time:wowspring:
 
ART is a great modality, sure hope it works for you and good bye Psoas pain!
 
ART is a great modality, sure hope it works for you and good bye Psoas pain!
I have never heard of either but had miserable pain in groin preop and had to lift leg with hands to get in the car.
As I heal and walk more that's were the ache is the worst afterward. Any links to good info on diagnosis and treatment???
 
Hi @GGAZ! Happy to hear you are progressing so well...except for that nagging Psoas pain. Hopefully, your PT person can get it resolved soon. Then, you can really start seeing the light and the end of the tunnel.
I remember my first solo drive and I felt like a teenager again...being released from having a passenger testing my abilities. While it was only one time, my hubby "tested" me, I don't begrudge him for doing so. He just wanted to be sure I was ok ... He is very protective of me.
Have a wonderful recovery day!
 
Yaay for the great news about your PT person knowing the Active Release Therapy and for driving! Congrats!
I hope you are enjoying your day. :)
 
@GGAZ wonderful about your PT, can't wait to hear more about ART and what you work on in PT. I start PT next week at week 4. I've never done any PT and don't know anything about it or what options are available. I sure hope it helps resolve your pain.
 
@Plum Perfect I have had PT for various sports injuries and surgeries more than I can count. My advice would be first and foremost to find the best PT you can. You are putting yourself in the hands of someone who can help you or unfortunately hurt you. Secondly, speak up immediately if they have you do something that hurts!! Just because it may be a standard exercise for your condition doesn't mean it's helpful to you. Good Luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom