Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all! You are very special people and even more so because you understand what a big milestone this is to get off crutches and not worry about infection or bone healing issues.

I have PT tomorrow and we will see what kind of exercises I am given. I do know that we are taking it slow, even dr said to work up to not using crutches. But just being able to head towards not having to use them in the next week or so, means so much more I can do.
:bicycle1:
 
Oh! Me too! Me too! So happy for you! :flwrysmile: (Can't figure where everyone get all the cool smilies.)
 
Thank you bassplayer and MerryS!:)
 
Sooooooooo today at physical therapy we started working on .... wait for it..... standing!
Who knew it would be so hard. :rotfl:
I had to stand with feet together and eyes closed and work on balance.

Then I worked on walking down a hallway without limping. My lower back on the opposite side has been bothering me because I am leaning on the crutch on that side and leaning in and lifting my shoulder when I walk. So now I am concentrating on walking slower with smaller steps.
 
Thats great! :yay: Used to be I thought I had walking down pat. Now I practice walking back and forth in the hall way trying not to have to hold on to the walls for balance.
 
Oh Goodness there is something else to tell everyone!
And I'll tag Josephine as she is always saying this but not all of us believe it!
Josephine; bottomshollow Jamie; skigirl;

I want to give hope to others that physical therapy doesn't have to be painful to gain ROM.

My ROM and PT! MY Rom, after 3 plus weeks of being on crutches full time, went from 89/10 to 110/0!!
In the next month, my physical therapist and I fully expect I will be able to get to around 130/0.

How cool is that!:yay:

For the past month I was on crutches with no weight bearing while waiting for additional XRays to determine if there was a complication with the implant. It appears the implant is doing fine and I was given the go ahead to slowly work off of crutches.

My physical therapist was great. I was very concerned about my ROM and being stuck at about 89 degrees because we could not do any weight bearing physical therapy work on my knee. All physical therapy work during the time was on the table with my physical therapist gently massaging and stretching, massaging and stretching during the session and followed by icing. We also worked at additional massaging to drain fluid from around the surgical site and reduce swelling.The physical therapist did nothing to hurt or exacerbate my knee or cause me pain; all of it was very gentle.

Each week we would gain a little more, about 5 degrees, and I would continue to ice to reduce swelling. She continued to massage and stretch it while a sat on the edge of the table. Also, I am still weaning off crutches and we are now working on standing, balance, and walking; still really no exercising with it until next week.

Hope that is great news to others who have similar challenges!
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th Glory Hallelujah! another convert to the BoneSmart philosophy of exercise and physical therapy. So glad you made it, and love those numbers! Wish you had found out an easier way--but better late to the party than never.
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
 
HA HA :)
Juuuuuuust to clarify, no converting to do.

I chose the Physical Therapist I did because of her approach, training and skill. She is special in her way of using a wide variety of physical therapy techniques. I have never ever believed that you needed pain during physical therapy or to gain ROM.

Noooowwww let's see if a obtain my goal. My Physical Therapist is quite certain 125 is doable within the month; my goal is the 130.
 
Wow! Well, well done that girl! That is real music to my ears. :yes!:
 
Wonderful news and I am glad to see that you were able to decide how you would rehab your knee. You have done a good job---your hard work is paying off. Kelly
 
I took people's advice and took half a Tylenol PM about 1am. Then I got out of bed and started tidying up my bedroom and bath. Finally went back to bed and slept for 5 hours, though I woke up kind of hung over. But I did sleep longer than 2 hours! Hopefully I can repeat tonight without the Tylenol PM!
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
I have my fingers and toes crossed and am rubbing my rabbit's foot [Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th that you are about to experience the sleep milestone here very soon and begin getting a good night's sleep night after night.


You certainly deserve this one!
 
So today I thought, "hey, I'm feeling better", and so drove to the Nordstrom Anniversay Sale, got a parking place in front and walked in using one crutch. Biiiiig mistake. PT told me to use two crutches for another week but did I listen...... noooo.

I made it to the other side of the first floor and starting limping badly and only wanted to get back to the car.

To top it off they had no cute shoes or purses that I wanted. They kept telling me I should have been there last week. AGGGGGHHHH! :gaah:
 
When did you know or feel that you had turned the corner?

Was there a certain thing that happened or you just noticed one day that you weren't taking naps or were walking without a limp?

I think I have but am curious when you knew you were reeealllly on the other side and had made it? :)
 
Oh well, maybe it's not that easy to figure out when you turned the corner. :sigh:

I have PT in the morning, followed by a chiropractor...... is this it now, medical appt after medical appt. :scratch: Are we ever really out of the woods where we can forget about "it" .....

Hmmm ..... oh well, I guess it's better than it was.... except now we all have to worry constantly about infections ... from cuts, illness and bug bites, and car accidents and twisting it wrong on a sandy beach and ... :shocked:

I think I am on TKR overload with wayyy too much time into it lately.
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
I do believe, Elisea, you need to STOP
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
thinking so much and try and get some sleep
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
, sweetie. You're wearing yourself out with "what ifs". As you said, "
I think I am on TKR overload with wayyy too much time into it lately." Gotta find yourself a good book
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
to get lost in or some sedentary activity
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
that keeps your mind occupied and put the knee on the back burner.


I have been meaning to tell you that you do a really fab job
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
of keeping the monthly surgery schedules updated for us (what'll we do when you decide you don't need us any more
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
).


Be good to yourself, give yourself a break--
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
 
I'm in need of a new avatar now that I am almost off crutches and on the road to recovery. Any suggestions on what would make a good BoneSmart avatar?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom