THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely agree with going by how YOU feel Fran not what the PT thinks you should be doing. Very few of us go on to a cane just a few days postop. Some PTs have been known to be over zealous in their approach to recovery much to the detriment of some of our members who have had awful setbacks and problems due to being pushed too far and not feeling like they can say no as the PT is the 'expert'.

Go with your gut feeling, you have plenty of time to progress onto just one cane, you hip has took a hammering and with the the added leg length will need treating nice and gently for a while yet. It is a massive dfference for your whole body to deal with.

Pleased you got over your little freak out about the temp :) It's a natural thing to panic.

Take care

Sounds like you are doing fab

Ann.x
 
Maeve, I’m with you. Maybe using the cane too soon could cause the problems you mention. But I presume the physio also knows what he is doing. I notice you say that he is young and I know exactly what you’re thinking – I think the same. I wouldn’t want to be a guinea pig for a young physio who is eager to prove himself. Still, why not get another opinion before you decide on a course of action.
And, from your posts and the attitude you have displayed, I doubt if you will ever lose your mojo! :egypdance:
 
I am doing well in the pool and also with a frame but the young physio this afternoon says he wants me to walk with just a cane ASAP.

Hi Fran,

Will you have in-home physiotherapy after you leave the rehab facility? I ask because when I went home from the hospital I had 2 weeks of in home therapy and during that time period the therapist progressed me from the frame onto 2 crutches, down to one crutch and then on to the cane. You could ask your physio for this graduated change instead of the jump directly to the cane - or wait until you get home and work it out there.

:thumb: Sounds like you are doing amazingly well at such an early stage. I didn't start PT until I was 10 weeks out and that was a major undertaking at that point for me!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks C Mac, Elosarabrab. You have confirmed what I thought.
I have the option of coming for half day Rehab which is covered as an inpatient by my Health Fund but will take stock again on Wednesday.
It may be easier to stay here for a couple of extra days. It's an excellent facility with great food, pleasant staff, lovely sunny room etc.
I feel I am certainly getting my value out of my health fund. No out of pocket at all! :yes:
 
It may be easier to stay here for a couple of extra days. It's an excellent facility with great food, pleasant staff, lovely sunny room etc.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum The best thing about doing it this way is that you have a few more days of having to think only of yourself, your needs, what you want to do (other than the PT) without feeling responsible for anything else. It gives your body additional time to heal with less stress. Then when you do return home---it really does feel wonderful to be there because you're ready for it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
 
Maeve
Dear Fran,
Just like Frank Sinatra's famours song, do it ''my way''.
I agree with Ann's comments, you gradually go from 2 crutches to 1 and then to the cane.
Especially, for patients like us, who have had conjenital problems and whose muscles or posture are not as the same of a hippy who just had his/her first operation, do not rush yourself and do not force yourself too much with the physio as well.
I had 3 different pain killers when I was discharged. I stopped each one of them gradually and testing myself. The first one I quit taking was the NSAI, I think that was like post op 7-10 days. The second one was the parasetamol with codeine. One day I forgot to take it on its scheduled time and I realized that I dont have any pain thus quit that one as well. I think that was week 2. The last one, and I think the most effective one was the tramadol with paracetamol. I think I used them until the end of week 3 and I stopped tramadol graually, decreasing the döşe in 4-5 days. I hardly needed any pain medicaiton after and even if I did that would be plain 500 mg of paracetamol (Tylenol) Thus, dont refrain yourself to take pain medication but again listen to your body to gradually stop taking them. I would also advise to take my pain medicaiotn just after the physio sesssion as it does worn you out which is to an extent natural.
By the way, I switched to cane after week 3-4 and now (week6) can walk without the cane. Just dont push yourself for it and listen to your body.
Take care
Selin
PS: by the way, how can you get into the pool? you are just 1 week post op, and the incision area must be safe and sound not to get any infection from the pool
 
Thanks sansabosa ,...or rather Selin. It's great to get feedback and advice from someone who understands the special issues of congenital dysplasia. After 66 years of walking incorrectly and with shortened nerves and muscles it's a steep learning curve to become mobile with a corrected gait and stride. And those newly stretched muscles and nerves don't like it much at this poit.
Your strategy is one that will work for me too so I will stick to my guns.
The rehad unit is in a Private Hospital where I had the surgery.
We are timetabled each day for 2 one hour physical therapy s :martini: essions. One in the gym and one in the pool. In the gym the ratio is 3 patients to one physio and a program is worked out for each of us.
The pool is a special hydrotherapy pool. Our wounds are checked each session and covered with waterproof skin. We are then given towels to rinse off in the shower and then walk down a ramp entry. Again the ratio is about 3 to one. Exercises and stretches in the pool are really helping me. It's a great facility and totally covered by my health insurance so I'm very lucky. At pool time a nurse delivers a fluffy robe, helps you into your swimmers and escorts you to the pool. Patients are also referred from other hospitals and either come as along stay inpatient or daily patient. The usual stay is about two weeks and all we need to think about is getting mobile. All food is cooked onsite and it is beautiful. Newspapers available daily and each Friday they bring around a very small glass of wine and some appetisers. I'm lucky! :scary: :cry: :martini: :martini:
 
Oops dont know how the sad smilie got there on my last post. Actually today I was thinking about the way we refer to being on the other side post operation.
Well I think I've found yet another door to go through today and i'm visiting the land of wellbeing! It may just be a short visit but it feels good! :yes:
 
Hi Maeve did your temp resolve? I like the idea of you doing your exercises/PT your way.. I refused to be pushed.. My OS said, just walk!
 
Hi Poppet
Temperature still hovering between 37.3 and 37.8 . The nurse said they will send off a urine sample to pathology tomorrow if it is stll,up. Don''t think the doctor is worried though.
Thanks for the confirmation re PT my way! :)
 
Hi Poppet. No symptoms.
I did have a glass of wine( with the Drs. Ok )just before the last temperature check but no wine before this. Wound is very good.
 
Excellent Maeve... How was your temp the last time they took it?
 
Wow, you sound like you are at a fancy resort, not rehab! Lucky girl, especially with no out of pocket. There was a lady in my hospital room who had her second knee done. She was deciding whether to go to rehab like she had with the first knee, but the cost ($6,000 for 1 week stay) was a great concern!
You are coming along in great leaps and bounds.
Ally
 
Thanks@Allycat.
Just posted on your thread to see how you were travelling! Cheers!
 
Hi@Poppet,
It was down slightly...37.3 so I'm sure it will settle down in time. They have only taken it once today so can't be too worried now! :)
 
Temps have a habit of rising after surgery... Pleased to read it is on the way down :)
 
Elizak said: ↑
Day 15 post-op quick update
Told me that because my leg had been so shortened by my fracture, muscles stretched and weakened when implant placed and leg lengthened, pain expected for about 6 weeks. This is a quote I found on @Elizak's thread. Posted this question there but thought I should also post on my own thread.



This is the first time I have noticed a fellow Member with a leg that has been deliberately lengthened

The reason is different to mine but the process and outcome would be just the same I think.
Mine has been lengthened 3cms due to congenial dysplasia but I'm presuming the Drs comment re 6 weeks pain would apply in my case too.
I'm also battling the tightness and ingeneral have more stiffness after PT...except for hydro pool where some of the stretches give great relief. Any advice from members re recovery where leg lengthening has been deliberate?
Any advice Elizak?
I slept so badly last night so spent a lot of time searching the Bonesmart site and I'm so pleased to have found Elizak's thread and readvall about her journey.
I was very excited too to see the 5 month update because I have a big overseas trip in August.
Interesting about getting up and down off the floor! Kneeling etc. so inspiring @ Elizak!!! :thankyou
Are there any similar stories for me to follow?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom