Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

Day 40
Better day, as expected. Aiming for over £3k steps daily now, plus some physio exercises, and always do the hanging extension one, several times a day, no matter what.
Vitamin tonic arrived so have already started it, even if it’s a combination of tonic and placebo I really don’t mind, it’ll all contribute to getting my life back.
A bit more house clearing today, and already gone; however the good of this particular exit may be undone by an imminent yarn delivery. A small challenging project to keep my mind and hands happy, for me it’s vital therapy and it will build up my Christmas gift stock.
Yes I know I mentioned the C word in July, because it’s a rerun of last year’s recovery and hobbies.
:banana-santa:
 
Yes I know I mentioned the C word in July
Do you have Christmas in July, over yonder, across the pond?
We do here in the states. I had QVC on earlier and it's all Christmas today it seems, plus the Hallmark Channel has "Christmas in July" and they have been running Christmas movies this month. An option for Christmas lovers in early recovery in the US that are looking for entertainment via their tv.
The C word in July doesn't bother me, but Fall is my personal fave and I don't want to miss that.

Happy knitting as you pass time increasing your Christmas gift stash.
 
So it’s 6 weeks today and I see the surgeon tomorrow for his check up. Scar healing nicely and very neat, I’m putting scar cream on 2 x day.
Was woken at 6 this morning by some stonking healing zingers, but changed position and managed a bit more sleep. Yay!
Sticking between 3-4K steps daily this week, as it seems to work well, in either 2 or 3 strolls, plus other exercises. Using two crutches outside, the pavements are terrible, one crutch on the stairs and in between rooms, and no crutches for pottering in the kitchen or individual rooms.
Tried a day or two without pain meds, either because I forget (a good sign) or intentionally to rest the stomach and liver, then returning to Celecoxib and occasionally paracetamol (acetaminophen) as it’s a bit too soon to stop altogether.
Happy with progress, still have moments of the blues (normal, especially doing this solo), and still get the energy drain at times, again all normal. Still changing what I’m doing when it becomes uncomfortable eg rest, walk, ice, elevate, move, my slow motion St Vitus dance lasts all day long. It’s all fine.
Have a good day everyone. Onwards….
 
Your progress is impressive, LE. You're on a good path. I find your measured approach and positive outlook admirable and inspiring for those healing with you in real time. You're like the team cheerleader, reminding others that the little setbacks, and emotional ups and downs are temporary and considered a normal part of the healing process. Brighter days are ahead. :yes:

I wish you a good visit with your surgeon tomorrow. I am sure he'll be pleased with your progress.
Happy Monday!
@Legseleven
 
LE - Yeah, that pain med thing is a PITA. I've gone two nights without Tramadol or sleep aids, just Celebrex, and I've been waking up after 3-4hrs, up for 2, then sleeping another 3-4. Not loving that track. We have the Hallmark Channel and it's cramming Xmas in July stuff into all hours of the day - lol!! Have a great day today :)
 
You just keep on keeping on! :walking:
Glad you're doing so well. Are you noticing a remarkable difference between this recovery and your first yet...now that the earliest weeks of adapting and healing are behind you?
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla
I think so, some of it is due to knowledge, expectations and experience as to what to do when it feels like x, y or z. Though the pain this time was far worse in the first 3 -4 weeks, and the ice helped less, but ice is making a difference now. Plus the most problematical bio mechanical part is now gone in the lateral left knee compartment and was still there last year making misery. When I check back there’s still a lot of similarities too.
Mentally, it’s probably been tougher because it’s been ongoing 18 m of bad pain, 3 knee ops in 11 m, and a slipped disc after Christmas, plus I’m so bored of trying to rest, be occupied and content. So my attitude has been crucial, and I’ve worked on this consistently and it certainly makes a difference. I’m in bed early tonight, I know tomorrow I’ll likely need to sleep in the day too and that’s fine.
My fortnightly food shopping comes tomorrow and my lovely weekly help comes for a couple of hours so we change the bed and anything else I find impossible to achieve by myself. The company helps too.
Onwards… the only way is up.
 
Mentally, it’s probably been tougher because it’s been ongoing 18 m of bad pain, 3 knee ops in 11 m, and a slipped disc after Christmas, plus I’m so bored of trying to rest, be occupied and content. So my attitude has been crucial, and I’ve worked on this consistently and it certainly makes a difference.
This is tough. I'm sorry, its been a long road for you, LE. You seem to have found a healthy balance between activity and rest and the outings and visitors help keep the sanity. I like the detailed journal of sorts you're keeping here. It is interesting following your recovery and I'm sure what you're sharing will be beneficial to many following behind you.
Happy Wednesday...I hope its a good one! :SUNsmile:
 
plus I’m so bored of trying to rest, be occupied and content. So my attitude has been crucial, and I’ve worked on this consistently and it certainly makes a difference.
I can really sympathise with the sheer tedium of such a prolonged rehab period and all the pain you have endured. I think your attitude and pragmatism has been brilliant and a real inspiration to others here. Here's to a brighter future.
 
Thank you @Layla and @EalingGran it’s like much of life isn't it - a lot of it is outside of our control but we can choose how we think and respond to both people and circumstances.
Today has been quieter, with actually no daytime sleep needed, a bit more icing, as a bit of increased pain, and a longer walk to the mailbox. Shopping unpacked. Tomorrow I think I’ll pop in on a Community meet up, even just for 15 mins and a cuppa.
Although it’s very tedious and can be challenging, even a little demoralising at times, I think my approach will pay off long term without either increasing pain too much, or joining the ODIT over and over.
This way is maybe not for everyone, but with my future goals in mind this is the fastest way for me to get there. Think more tortoise than hare, and I’ve had a lot of practice.
 
This way is maybe not for everyone, but with my future goals in mind this is the fastest way for me to get there
And you're only six weeks post op which is very early in the entire scheme of things. You're doing great though, have to give you that!
 
Currently icing both knees :no-fin:Righty been acting up …
Soooo I’ve told it in no uncertain terms that’s not on.:no-fin:
Walking a bit more, using floor pedals for the length of one song. All being well tomorrow will pedal for two songs. Another walk later.
Adding in paracetamol as and when.
Sometimes can go upstairs alternating legs for a few steps. I think extension fractionally improving
All good, onwards….
 
Walking a bit more, using floor pedals for the length of one song. All being well tomorrow will pedal for two songs.
Nice way of keeping track of time. I love it!
Do you think, Righty, is acting up from taking on some of, Lefty's, load?
 
Righty been acting up
I think it's jealous and wants your attention. But, really, righty has had a lot more stress put on it since your left revision, and now it's fussing about it. That's completely normal. When I broke my right ankle/foot, my TKR leg, the left knee really complained since I was non weight bearing on that right leg. Once I was able to use my right leg some again, lefty behaved better. I bet yours will, too.
 
Day 47.
Walked a longer loop this morning for the first time, and a regular shorter one after lunch. Two songs on the pedals, one this morning, and one just now. I ice after exercise and am adding ice on Righty some of the time. Whichever exercises I do I do bilaterally. I think as I’m upping the movement they’re both having to adjust and I know the OS wanted to redo both.
I also do what I call a little chair horn pipe once or twice. It’s a few minor exercises like pointing toes, heels, moving them to the left and right, calf raises, opening/closing knees. All very gentle and seated and always to music, as the music raises the spirits.
Also did some baking, for the first time, which I think is ok but I misread the recipe so have had to do some quick thinking. See what’s it like after a night in the fridge. It’s a thank you for a friend so here’s hoping.
Out to lunch again tomorrow and there’s a local fete very near which I can wander round on my crutches for a change and will hopefully see lots of friends too. Some rain is forecast next week and it’s desperately needed. I’m enjoying the dry and easy walks every day, but my oh my, the poor farmers, it’s desperately serious now especially with the global prices of fuel and fertiliser. The fires everywhere are heartbreaking too.
 
Two songs...yay! :wink: Baking and lunch dates are great signs of a recovery heading in the right direction. I hope your dessert looked appealing after a night in the fridge.:fingersx:
The fires everywhere are heartbreaking too
I agree. So sad. Between these wildfires, the floods, the heat waves, wars and rumors of wars, it's all feeling very apocalyptic. Reading of the worldwide devastation and viewing images via phones and computers can feel very unsettling some days. I choose not to read or watch tv when I feel I need a break from it all.

I hope you enjoyed your lunch today and the rain that's forecast for the week materializes. Don't know about you, but I like a gloomy, rainy day once in awhile. Good excuse to kick back with a good book or movie for a time.
Happy Sunday, enjoy the rest of your day, LE! :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom