Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

@Legseleven love hearing about your recovery and outings. Especially hanging out laundry. As mentioned before, we're limited to a small covered walkway thanks to our SEAGULLS and other very productive birds flying overhead :heehee: so I'm envious!

May I ask about your itchy red hands? Is there any chance it's eczema or contact dermatitis? I've had similar itchy red hands for decades, and struggle to keep it under control. But since I stopped using fragranced soap, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, lotions, etc. (and got a topical steroidal cream from the doctor for occasional use), I am doing a lot better. One thing that irritates me (literally!) no end--here in North America "unscented" is not the same as "fragrance free". Maybe the UK is better? I have to say though that on one visit to Oxford, I was unable to find ANY acceptable hand soap in the shops when I ran out of what I brought with me. (You know how they say you don't have to pack everything since you can always buy something at your destination? That has not been true for me!!!) Anyway, just a thought.
 
Thanks @FleuveStone it’s always from something I’ve ingested. It happens rarely now. It’s definitely not eczema or contact dermatitis, it’s internal reaction and affects hands and sometimes feet. I used to take regular antihistamines periodically but haven’t needed to for a long time. I cook almost exclusively from scratch, eat hardly any ultra processed food. I have a lot of sensitivities to different meds, some more serious than others. Thanks for your kind suggestions, hopefully in this instance it’s a quick fix and one the knees will agree with.
For years I have used Ecover zero washing up liquid and laundry detergent and use plain olive oil soap, all unscented and fragrance free, better for us and the environment. Thanks again.
Step count reached highest of 5k today, see what tomorrow brings.
 
Maybe the UK is better? I have to say though that on one visit to Oxford, I was unable to find ANY acceptable hand soap in the shops when I ran out of what I brought with me.
Fragrance free soaps are quite widely available in the UK. If you are ever back here- look out for the Simple brand. I have sensitive skin and that is my go to soap.
 
Physio today was happy. Next appt in 3 w, as he has holiday coming up.
I’m to continue with what I’m doing - walking, pedals, other exercises etc and to spend more time on the extension sets for the left leg. He says it’ll come, he says it’s just because the knees have been through so much and the left quads are still inhibited, however he says no worries as they’ll wake up in time. Plus when he returns we are going to start on some back exercises too, the scan just showed significant age related wear and tear, although we didn’t actually have the report, and he said just to really concentrate on the extension for now.
He used something which vibrated the quad muscle as I was tightening them, and we did this many, many times. Kind of looked like a hand drill with a semicircle piece of plastic, like a rim, which went over the quads. It felt very weird.
I can also now have a full a massage too, which I am thrilled about and I plan if I can manage it to have one monthly as part of my holistic looking after me plan.
Been a long day with a lot of other stuff too, so an early night is beckoning.
Onwards….
 
This is sort of the shape, and the nearest example I can find @sistersinhim however the half circumference was much bigger, more like half a plate, (this is more like 1/3) because it went right over the thigh.
IMG_5069.webp
 
Wow, thank you. I have never seen anything like this. I'll do some goggling!
 
This is sort of the shape, and the nearest example I can find
The photo shows a curved attachment for a deep tissue sports massager, that attaches to a deep tissue sports massage gun, Bodi-Tek's version. May not be the same brand used on, Legseleven, but easy to assume it was a similar device.
 
Two months in and you seem to be doing very well with your conscientious measured approach to healing.
I hope you're having a lovely day so far and your weekend is perfect!
Happy Two Month Anniversary, LE! :SUNsmile:
@Legseleven
 
Day 61, two month anniversary as @Layla reminds me, and it’s positive.
I’m taking a few moments to stop during a busy day and so I can catch up on here while watching the racing on TV. :fasthorse:
I’m sticking with paracetamol/acetaminophen 3 x day and this seems to be working well and I’m able to keep up enough activity. This morning I did the 1km circular walk which was perhaps too much 2 w ago. The intense heat has thankfully passed as walking anywhere outside in the last two days has been very unpleasant. Will have another walk or two later. Doing my indoor physio too, concentrating on the extension ones as per instructions. Extension is definitely improving.

I’ve gone back to sorting and decluttering the house, as purpose is also vital, and then realised I must stop for an hour or two and properly rest as sorting the contents of an antique chest of drawers led to them also having to be cleaned inside so the job got bigger and bigger….
No one but me to mind the temporary chaos of contents and drawers all over the place. :rofsign:
It’s useful and I find it cathartic and as I’m now fairly good at living in the present it makes it easier to make decisions. Do I need this now, no…. Out. Lots of clothes listed on Vinted this week, and another box of miscellaneous items is filling up for the Charity Shop. I find I’m actually enjoying the process and in a funny way it’s quite liberating.
Have a great weekend. I’m out tomorrow too so that’s fun.
 
I’m now fairly good at living in the present it makes it easier to make decisions. Do I need this now, no…. Out.
I am so impressed with your ability to do this. We've been attempting some clear-out as we think about future downsizing. But I find it hard to let go. I have "give away" boxes sitting in the hallway in case my daughter might want something in there. Since she, her husband and the baby live in a teeny, tiny apartment in NYC, they barely have room for diapers -- I don't know where she would put anything I gave her! :loll:
 
Since she, her husband and the baby live in a teeny, tiny apartment in NYC, they barely have room for diapers -- I don't know where she would put anything I gave her!
This is the problem for many of us. Our kids live in small places and don't want more stuff. Even giving it away is difficult but it is hard to clear sentimental items.
 
This is the problem for many of us. Our kids live in small places and don't want more stuff. Even giving it away is difficult but it is hard to clear sentimental items.
The first bit is very true which is why I’m doing it now. I’m gritting my teeth over some of the sentimental items because I can’t keep them all.

Day 62.
A lovely Sunday today, out for lunch, a good walk around, an ice cream while sitting on a bench and home for a cuppa. #happydays.
 
Day 63. 9 weeks today. Had a horrible night, just restless with a very busy brain, and I forgot my evening paracetamol last night so it was probably pain from moving that woke me then I could not get back to sleep for hours and hours. Luckily, it’s rare for me to have a night as bad as this.
Walked one of the better circuits with only one crutch today as a test. I deliberately chose the smoothest routes for this. Some of the routes definitely need two crutches because they’re so uneven.
The final walk after tea will be on two crutches again so I can gauge today’s increase better.
Also been up and downstairs once with arms only on handrails, no crutch. Up with consecutive knees, down singly. Little steps.
Onwards…
 
Day 64. So after yesterday’s single crutch walk I repeated it this morning. About half way along the route I realised the knee is not quite ready for this full time, so I’ll keep trying now and again and on my longer walks go back to a pair. It’s better for me to walk further and exercise more walking as well as I can with two, than not quite so well with one. I’m still happy with this.
Inside is still a mix of no crutches, and one crutch.
I remembered my paracetamol at 9pm last night and slept well. Yay!
Onwards…
 
It's always nice to find out what is working for you. No more forgetting your nighttime meds! I'm so glad you slept better last night. I hate those nights that are so restless. It leaves you feeling blaa the next day. At least, I sure do!
 
We're with you, LE, through the highs and lows, good days and difficult ones. There are plenty of trials and errors along the way for sure! Continue being as patient and as gentle with yourself as you have been.
Cheering you on every step of the way. :thumb:
@Legseleven
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom