Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

Going up stairs consecutively is great progress! I couldn't do that for months.
 
That's just place wonderful. Your getting back to what was your normal. I don't have to say it because you know to be careful and not over do it.
 
Day 69.
Had a steady couple of days with the legs, a little stiffer at times but ok. The quad extension sets ie: pressing down on the bed definitely shows fractional improvement, and there’s been none since before the op last year. Yay! Little wins.
Been busy though and also managed to fill the car up with fuel for the first time.
Plus I fancied a bath tonight so I carefully tried it while still fully dressed and bath empty, with my phone in my pocket… Too soon, sadly. Getting in is fine, however I only just got out and sensibly decided it was too risky. One day it’ll be lovely to try again. Last year I managed successfully at 5 months, I’m hoping it’s a bit sooner this year.
Onwards..
 
Great progress! I too did the getting into the bath dressed first. It's a wise move.
We had my daughter and her partner living with us during my knee recovery. My husband had also had a hernia operation. I wasn't sure he would be able to get me out single handed if I failed- and it was definitely best to be decent for the first attempt!
 
1787589628539.webp

Have you seen this bathtub aid before, LE? An item that may be useful and come in handy as we age also.
Sold in Recovery Shop
 
In the wide awake club again, this happens to me anyway each week at some point regardless of knee ops or not. It is not a concern, just a fact.
Day 73.
Plateaued recovery. All normal and expected.
Manageable, but of course I wish I was further on, it’s human nature to want this. Still on some paracetamol/acetaminophen, 70% no crutch at home until it tells me. Outside mainly one crutch, sometimes two for rougher terrain. Flexion and extension (F & E) doing ok, still a fair amount of heat and internal inflammation so sometimes F & E reduces because of the internal swelling. Expected at this stage.
A couple of days ago I did the longer walking loop with one crutch and 3/4 way round wished I hadn’t, still I got back ok, and iced and elevated with no ill effects the next day. The following days I was back to more frequent shorter walks.
It’s still all about the patience muscle.
 
It was 11 w on Monday. Today is Day 79.
I think I’m currently on a plateau, and that’s normal. The improvements do become smaller and slower as time goes on. I still have some acetaminophen as and when, but not all the time. I can go up stairs alternating but not all the time. I can even alternate down on the small 3 step set, with both arms strongly supporting part weight on the bannisters and I’m careful not to overdo it, as I know I’m not fully at that point yet.
My back is complaining mightily, it’s muscular, and the physio postponed me to next week, due to his commitments. I hope he’ll check my LLD, I’m going to ask, and we can start to work more on the whole body as I really want to become stronger and better after the last 18m. I know it’ll take time and effort and that’s ok. Meanwhile I’m walking regularly and doing what I can. Mostly just one crutch when out now.
Onwards….
 
Sorry your back is bothering you, LE. That can be exhausting. Glad its not keeping you from walking and getting out and about. I hope the pain eases for you soon. :console2:
@Legseleven
 
My back is complaining mightily, it’s muscular, and the physio postponed me to next week, due to his commitments
Sorry to hear about your back. That was my worst pain after my PKR -until I could get on the floor to do back extension exercises again.
I had one good leg I could kneel on to get down using my arms to lever me down from a chair. Not sure if you can get down ( and up again safely!).
If not I hope the physio can help with some seated or standing stretches/ exercises.
 
Not sure if you can get down ( and up again safely!).
Thanks everyone, sadly not yet. Hopefully before too long.
I think the back muscles also needed a rest, after a hectic few days. I’m taking it very steady this week.
Can only have short walks in between the fierce thundery showers. :rofsign:
 
Tomorrow will be 12 weeks and Day 84. Latest update and round up posted today before a busy week.
- Regularly doing c.6-7k steps, with a quieter day <4k slotted in every so often for recovery.
Inside only occasional single crutch use, outside one crutch. Only exception being steep and deep stairs in a friend’s house and for now I still need to use the crutch there.
- Occasional paracetamol, I’m finding it still beneficial to take two in the late evening to help prevent waking due to pain when turning over or moving when asleep.
- The wonderful massage last week definitely helped the back and I have physio app this week which will be useful. I’m particularly interested in checking my LLD because of the muscular back issues that are emerging.
- Doing my own exercises at home for legs and body including slanting press ups off the kitchen counter and other usual things to promote general strength and mobility. Using the floor pedals a bit more too. On the wetter days I do more inside, less outdoor walking. Music helps me to accomplish this when I’m feeling unmotivated.
- Flexion and extension both slightly improving, albeit slowly. Getting in and out of the car still needs the door open wide and sometimes the left leg still needs a little help to lift it in/out.
- There’s still a normal and fair amount of residual external swelling, and undoubtedly some internal swelling too. This will ease with time. Still icing and elevating a bit.
- All in all, it’s good. Like everyone going through this I wish it’d speed up, but I’m happy with my progress and I’m taking my life back one step at a time.
- Onwards….
 
Thank you @sistersinhim :flwrysmile:

Day 86 in a very busy week. Saw the physio today. They’re pleased with the knee, flexion/extension improving which is great. I do have some slight Achilles tendonitis apparently from my altered gait and my back is still affected by the reduced extension. They’re confident I’ll keep improving and all will be well.
My left leg is a little longer so as I suspected there is some LLD, however it’s not a great help as we are not entirely sure if there has always been some LLD! We laughed over this puzzle and left it for a future date when my gait is back to normal, and it will be - so long as I’m patient. Pass me the patience reserves please.
Had a very quiet day to recover energies and even a quick 30 minute Nana nap after lunch due to the unsurprising resurgence of energy drain.
Onwards….
 
Never underestimate ignore the resurgence of energy drain. It seems to come from no where and zap you. Good for you listening to your body and grabbing a nap. Those are so beneficial - mentally and physically.

Your posts are awesome in encouraging other members along this journey. Thank you for your posts. I look forward to them.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom