Guest viewing is limited

THR On My Feet Again

Sorry to hear you have that going on. My foot swelling was incredible, even stretching my socks out beyond being useful. If you don't have 2 or 3 ice packs, pick some more up so you can at least ice your knee and hip at the same time and try to ice the full 45+ minutes at a time while elevating. I hope you see some improvement soon!
 
Hello @SE Florida :wave:
I'm sorry I'm just reading this. I was away from home last evening.
I'm sure the swelling may feel a bit alarming since it's not the same as your first recovery.
That's the danger in comparison. We always hear that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. Obviously it's natural to want our second recovery to be better than the first but it doesn't always happen.:tantrum2:

You're doing the right thing in icing and elevating. Move the ice pack around or use multiples if you can.
Josephine recommend icing for 40-60 mins each session. Target several times daily.
Let us know how you're appt goes today.
A great Friday and weekend to you!
 
OS appt went well, X-rays look great. Told me to focus on doing the ankle pumps & ice/elevate for bad foot & knee swelling. It's been 8 days and with all of the swelling haven't even considered getting rid of my walker for the cane. They seemed a bit surprised at that but there's no way I'll do that until I feel ready. The swelling in my knee is much better today so maybe the foot will be next. It's the first day I don't feel the brain fog too. Almost feel normal!
 
I actually felt that from them yesterday; I was shocked and disturbed actually. Maybe there's more of a push from the insurance companies now but I'm sticking to my guns on this one! Thank you for the reminder because it's so important to listen to your body!
@Jaycey
 
There is absolutely no time line for transitioning. And you might find crutches (or just one crutch) an easier transition.
 
It's been 8 days and with all of the swelling haven't even considered getting rid of my walker for the cane. They seemed a bit surprised

Unbelievable! I'm happy you're ignoring this at only 8 days post op and not feeling intimidated.
Great news that the swelling is going down.
I hope you have a pleasant weekend! :)
@SE Florida
 
I also agree that if you feel more stable with the walker, don't rush it.
Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:
 
I have a question on the walker timeframe. I'm postop 2 weeks today and have had swelling. With constant icing, elevating and the PT exercises I do laying down (foot pumps, etc), the swelling is much better. Using the walker is a breeze but I'm not able to transition to my cane yet. My goal is to be able to use it sometime next week. Or at least get started. I just feel like I'm behind the 8 ball and have discouraging days when I wonder if I'll ever be able to walk again.......crazy post-op blues and crazy thoughts to go with it!
 
At only 2 weeks out please don't worry about any timeline. There is no timeline for this recovery. Everyone is different! Some stay on a walker for weeks. Others don't need it. When your hip is ready you will start carrying the walker instead of leaning on it. No hurry to transition to a cane.
 
Thank you so much.....I figured I would just "know" when I'm ready. I need to be patient instead of so frustrated. I was starting to worry that I needed more PT even though I'm following the mantra here this time. So I won't push it!
@Jaycey
 
When you are ready you might notice you are almost walking the walker and taking a few steps using the kitchen counter more than the walker. That is a sign you ready to start with the cane a bit but want still want the walker at night at that point. Rushing yourself off it (which I understand is not your intention) will not be beneficial in the long run and could even set you back. As you say, you will "know". Then with the cane, I would suddenly find myself somewhere and wonder where I left my cane but I really agree with the advice here that you should be using the cane until you are not limping with a good heel to toe walk. I was vain my last go around and didn't practice what I now preach; have never lost my limp (other factors as well, mind you) and developed some very bad compensation habits.
 
I don't know what I'd do without this forum for support. @Carriemay60 I've "caught" myself standing in the kitchen with my walker a foot or two away from me. So I feel strong standing but just not ready, plus I'm a klutz anyway so it would be a disaster at this point. Like you said, I'm sure I would be limping if I got rid of the walker now. And after limping for the last 12 years, I'd rather just wait until my inner light bulb goes off. Sigh, recovery was easier 5 years ago! :mcoffee:
 
I've "caught" myself standing in the kitchen with my walker a foot or two away from me.

To me, stepping away unassisted is one of the signs you may be able to move to a crutch, or cane, whichever you've planned. I remember leaving a device feet away from me and initially thinking...Oh, no :yikes: how am I going to get back, followed a second later by the realization I got where I was without it!
I blamed the lapse of judgment on the drugs, even though I was no longer taking them, lol.

It's too bad when it feels like your first recovery was easier. You'll be on your way in no time. :happydance:
A great evening and weekend to you!
@SE Florida
 
I hope all is getting better and better for you @SE Florida
One month out and prime time for cabin fever and the frustrating "hurry up and wait" period.
Nice to see you encouraging so many others.
It is what makes Bonesmart special, in my opinion.
Continued good wishes for healing !
 
wishing you an easy first week...it really does get better. I had never iced before hip surgery and found it takes the pain away for awhile and reduces some swelling. You sound like you are doing well.
 
Thank you @Mojo333 ! It seems like it was kind of rough the first 3 weeks but I slowly started getting my strength back. Today it was like everything just clicked for me and I've been doing great. Definitely have the cabin fever though and hoping I'll be able to do a little more everyday without pushing the recovery too much. It's still early enough that I know I still have to be careful. Being on Bonesmart has been the absolute best for both my physical and emotional (very important to me) recovery. So good to meet so many hippie friends to help with the "journey"!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom