THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
@drahdrah you will get there soon...you've had both hips done in quick succession.....hang on in there..it gets better and better...keep using that cane...in a few months time it will pay off! Thinking of you...Chrissie xx
 
Thanks Chrissie (@Hoppy Nanny ) I am looking forward to ditching the cane altogether. Unfortunately I just got back from a short walk, and it is clear that I definitely still need it for anything longer than moving from room to room around the house. I also notice that anytime I walk outside, my back tends to hurt - but if feels more like sciatic or nerve pain. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
@drahdrah I wasn't even noting that you had both hips done - don't worry at all about stairs and getting rid of the came coming slowly. I used a cane quite awhile - until I could walk regularly with no limp for some distance. My back hurt sometimes too - not so much now - but no idea if it was how I was walking or what. - Also just noted this is Diane's thread so sorry for getting off topic...
 
@drahdrah I'm doing lots of steps now too and not having much difficulty until I overdo. Today took them plus moved furniture etc. I did do work with PT that required me to use operative hip as lead leg and go up and down two steps and that helped. My freaking knee is hurting though. So not the hip the knee! I think it might be from swelling! Hoping so. Heading to docs in two days. Walked hills tonight over two miles. Thanks to my hubby for that.
 
wow @dkirk0530 , sounds like you are doing great. I think I have to start "overdoing" it some so that I gain both strength and confidence.
 
Hi all.. been awhile. Back from docs.. good day in Atlanta as well. He was pleased with xray, ROM and progress. He asked me if I was happy with progress and I told him VERY.. but my knee is hurting :( offered to xray it right then but I decided I'd wait to see if the pain goes. I have been doing LOTS of steps lately and think that is what is causing the pain. Plus.. I was on anti inflammatory meds for so long that I'm sure that helped with the knee osteo too.. a little voice inside my head recalls my first OS telling me he thought I had a torn Meniscus of the knee... so I really do need to get it xrayed at some point. ugh... dreading that but it's better to know than not to know. For now, I'm going to take few weeks and then decide what to do.

Doc and I talked through the nerve issue in my thigh.. stabbing pains usually after I walk. VERY infrequent. I walked over two miles up and down hills the other night and did fine but then I get a big stabbing pain.. really think it's the nerves.. feels like nerves finding their voice! haha. A good nights sleep and Im good to go. He told me three months out he's not so concerned but if were happening a year from now, that's when we'd have to go in and see what might be happening.. but for now xrays all looks well. I've read enough on Bsmart and elsewhere that describe similar pains.. hey I did 8 flights of stairs going down at CNN today so couldn't be that bad.. and yes knee hurt after all those steps ;) Doc also told me that his main concern is feeling pain upon walking or bearing weight and that is not happening at all. I remember that pain.. and this is not that!

He wants me to continue with ROM exercises and wall sits.. three exercises along with other walking, etc. those three are the most critical from his perspective. that made me happy.. simple simple. Although need to set my iPhone alarm to remember to do them, still lost without my fit bit force ;) alarm in meetings.. staff look at me funny but I think all respect what I'm doing to take care of my new found hip.

Have been doing a lot. opened a small booth and am painting furniture and scrappy things I find and reinventing them. Yep.. hard to believe Im that insane to start something new when I have so much going on in life, just needed a creative outlet and now I can at least stand and not deal with utter pain. It's good to be back and able to do again. it's been a long time that's for sure!

Well.. hope all of you are well. Going to browse some sites and see how everyone is doing. Miss you all!

Diane
 
Diane,
Sounds like you are doing great! Your booth sounds neat!

Just wanted to say... about the knee... my knee was killing me for so long I was sure that it would be something awful. My os thought for sure I had a torn meniscus from the way it popped and cracked when I bent it. He ordered an MRI and low and behold... nothing! They determined that it was from my gait being off. Maybe your body is adjusting from walking differently and there is more strain on your knee now that you are using different muscles. Hopefully that's all it is.

It was a beautiful day today in Atlanta!!! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @younghippie Yep.. do said that too! so thanks for reassuring words. It really does hurt after I sleep on my side a lot too and/or go up stairs. I used to hurt when I worked out prior to having a hip issue.. I always thought my knee would be the first to go ;) It also comes and goes so I know that with Osteo that can happen. I think I need to continue to do the things Im doing and also take some anti inflammatory over the counters if it kicks in but also build up the muscles above and below to stabalize the knee.. and get this weight off!! I keep talking about the next 50 lbs but I'm not following through right now. I think it's time to get that pressure off the joints once and for all! Hope you are well.. gonna check out your post ;) enjoy the rays!
 
@dkirk0530 - if you have an inflammatory response going on in your body and now your hip doesn't have that - it is maybe going somewhere else... a couple of years before surgery, I fell and broke my arm - hip had NO pain for a couple of months and then slowly came back. Interestingly before my surgery I had my two wisdom teeth removed (one had a cavity and they wanted something done before THR) and after that, while my mouth was a little swollen, hip felt totally fine - but that came back in a couple of days. Also 3-4 years ago I lost 40 lbs and that helped tremendously so go for it! Exercise is great, but its really modification of what and how much you eat, IMHO. I quit all processed foods, all "low-fat" foods (they add sugar to replace the fat), and ate less too I suppose. That said, I'm now trying to lose 5-6 lbs that I gained back and it sure doesn't want to go...
 
Pat.. Good suggestion. I really do wonder why I have an inflammatory response and what causes it. I just went to the dentist and all was well and had my annual, one more major place to check! ;) colonscopy in a month.. oh it's a joyouse year!

I'm really trying to get back on track, get the sugar out of my diet again too and eat whold grains and no processed.. that's how I lost the first forty plus and that took me a year! I have also heard to try the diet where you give up eggs, milk, etc. to see if any of them cause an inflammation. The knee feels a bit better now, I think it's the fact that I have not been up and down steps using quads for years and then did a lot of lifting and stairs.. hoping that is the case. I did have a cervical polyp removed this week during my annual and ob/gyn said that could be causing me a lot of issues too.. I swear when it rains it pours.. now they are testing the polyp for cancer but they say they are typically benign.. hope so. :) Good luck losing those 5 to 6 and congrats on getting the first amount off.. i can tell a big difference, not sure I could !have withstood surgery with all that extra weight. @charmed-life

Diane
 
Hi! It's been awhile! Glad to hear the hip is doing great, sorry to hear of your other challenges - knee, polyp, upcoming colonoscopy. However, you sound like your finding your new life or maybe more of your old self (pre-hip pain) - wonderfully creative and energetic. You accomplish whatever you set your mind to, so Im sure you'll lose the weight, too!

I'm doing wonderfully, busier than ever volunteering at my daughter's school. So nice to be back to my daily routine without pain! At my 2 mo appt w OS, my only complaint was weakness in the hip when I first stood up after sitting for awhile. He said thats normal and will work itself out. and sure enough, as my legs get stronger, I don't notice it as much. Still doing PT, which I am still learning so much about the whys and how's the hip, back, legs all work together. My PT never ceases to amaze me at how she finds new areas I didn't even know hurt or was stiff. She massages and loosens it up and gives me exercises to stretch or strengthen as appropriate.

Last weekend, my daughter's team of Odyssey of the Mind, had won regionals and competed at State. Throughout the day, lots of walking, standing. I even managed to sit on the gym floor, crossed leg/Indian style for 1 1/2 hrs. A little discomfort sitting on the hard floor (not enough padding :) ), a bit stiff getting up, but not sore that night or the next day. Prior to surgery, you would not have found me sitting on the floor. I appreciate these miracles!

Sending warm thoughts to you, Diane, and to all BS friends. Happy Easter - rejoice, we live because He lives! Blessings to all! Xo
 
@dkirk0530 Hi. I was reading some of your story and saw that you were dealing with some knee pain after surgery. I woke up this morning and my knee is killing me on the operated side. I can barely put weight on it. I noticed it has been slightly sore since surgery 6 weeks ago off and on, but today is the worst. It is painful when I try to stand on it right above the knee cap. I never had any knee pain before surgery! I just wondered how you ever got some relief or if it went away on its own? Thanks.
 
@Dmcfad2 I had pain above my knee that I felt was muscle/ligament/tendon (don't know which) pain that was worse with a little too much (evidently) exercise - happened when I quit using a cane but now is completely gone.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@charmed-life Thanks for your response. I elevated and iced all day today and took a meloxicam and it seems better this afternoon. I am hoping it stays away! I don't need knee pain! Lol.
 
@fulafoto I'm doing GREAT!! thanks for checking in. I barely check my own site these days but do hit up all my buds. How are you??

It's amazing how you transition through the pain, to surgery to recovery and then regain a normal life. Last week I worked out four days, walked Mon - 3 miles, Tues - 45 minutes on elliptical, Thurs - zumba and weights and sat- gym and weights. Good week. I am away at the beach, Jekyll Island on a business trip. A trip I make each year to do conflict coaching at a mediation course.. well, usually I dread it since it's an old hotel, lots of outdoor walking, beach walking, visiting of local fine restaurants in beach town nearby. This year I LOVED IT!

I do still have knee pain but I attribute that to being active after sitting on my behind for almost three years! I have always had issues with the same knee as my hip side, left... always thought that knee would be first to be replaced. So weird it has creeped up now. Will get an xray soon to see if it's a meniscus or something simple. I doubt it's full bone on bone yet. I have a friend that has partial bone on bone and I"m nowhere near her pain level at this point, just annoying and tight. I also believe the more I build strength up in it the better.

I also have numbness in the hip still but it's okay.. I understand the nerve will improve about an inch a month and I still have about 9 to go before I return to see hip doc again. He said it will be much improved by then. I hope..its annoying more than anything, have an itch there but weird scratching dead skin area! haha..

Life is good, six months has flown by.. still quest to lose this weight but it's okay, I'm not gaining it and I'm more active now so it will come off!

dk


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2 The knee is still bugging... makes me nervous. I'll keep the site posted as I find out what is ailing it. My os asked that I get some xrays on it, will do when I'm ready to learn about it. For now it's ALWAYS better IF I workout. If I don't, it gets sour. So I think it's osteo.. don't think it's progressed to knee replacement but need to make sure I know what's happening so I can manage properly..

Weird story, one of my colleagues had knee replacement surgery, same day, same surgeon, same hospital, hours apart.. she had a knee replaced and was VeRY happy with my same doc she randomly found so I'm encouraged to know he is also well versed in the knee too.. Love Emory!

Take care.. how are you??


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh I just love love the Jekyll Island hotel. Last there about three years ago.
Had a memorable stay and wonderful meals; and great oysters on half shell at the raw bar on the water.
How nice!
Hope your knee stabilizes......
:SUNsmile:
 
Oh I just love love the Jekyll Island hotel. Last there about three years ago.
Had a memorable stay and wonderful meals; and great oysters on half shell at the raw bar on the water.
How nice!
Hope your knee stabilizes......
:SUNsmile:
@MajorHeidi, I LOVE the JIC too.. have you ever been to the driftwood beach? A few years ago my entire family was here and they all walked on the beach, no problem. I cried. I can still remember crying... it was a very sad moment and I vowed at that time to get my hip fixed and join the living again. That happened here.. so need to remember those sad times so I can appreciate the good ones! Glad you are doing well!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom