THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hibbe Thanks for the tip about massage. I need to get back to the PT, I've been a bad patient, heading back to work and jumping into life w/out going to PT. Her hours and my life have not been in sync! I am really back at work ft and agree that life has jumped back to PRE pain days.. except for that thigh numbness.. but geez.. that's just a minor inconvenience now. I'm setting a goal to walk a 5K in June.. I want to increase my miles and so far have not been keeping up with the gym due to work. I cannot let this happen again so need a goal. I am walking but just not enough. I'm sitting wayyyyyy too much again.

I appreciate your kind words and hope that you are still moving forward. Yep... life is returning. Thank goodness!

dk
 
Just checking in.. it's past the 8 week mark now. Back full time, have ditched PT, no time :( and am staying at the gym at least a few time a week. Still do my PT workout, not as much as I did but working it when I can. I am in the car way to much.

Just wondering, I do have significant numbness in the thigh area still. I have read @Josephine Josephine's pages/etc. info on leg numbness and healing. I'm also very careful not to overdo. I noticed though more tingling and pain in the thigh this week. I'm really not taking ANY meds now except for an occasional tylenol or Aleve mainly for back/neck issues, not hip! I also know the thigh and ankle will continue to swell for months. Just wondering from you long term recovery folks about your experience with thigh numbness and muscle/tissue pain in the thigh. I notice I have some weird pangs/pain, shooting pains, near the hip joint outer side not deep groin pain at all. It used to be like daggers if I touched it there due to inflamation and I used to go to chiro to have ultrsound to relieve pain. Just wondering if that is due to anything in particular or is it just nerves coming back to life. still walking w/tightness mainly so makes me think it's from swelling still and yes I know I'm only 8 weeks out.. still just wondering if what others experience. Thanks! Hope everyone is well. Life is still amazing pain free!!!

Diane
 
At 8 weeks out you still need to take regular pain meds, even if it is only Tylenol. But you need to take them regularly not just now and again.
 
@dkirk0530 - I felt the same experience with tingling when I went back to work at 7 weeks... I put it down to the tiny nerve endings reconnecting and waking up.. Great update :)
 
@dk0530 All those funny pains/aches/numbness go on for some considerable time. You are still very early days at 8 weeks and back to work. I'm 5 months post op and still hot numbness in thigh, tingling and even dome stabbing pains in operated leg. I think it is 'par for the course' after THR.. I was do glad to be on BS as it reassured me that I was normal. Taking it easy also helps after too much activity. Hope all goes well.. Chrissie xxx
 
Thanks all! I'm feeling better! Taking Aleve and going to walk and move more! That seemed to help!
 
Hi @dkirk0530 !

Just read through your thread. I loved the comment about how you would forget the lettuce and go for the icecream instead... and now you can shop til you drop... Oh how I dream of that. That made me feel great knowing you have come so far and are doing the things I hope and pray to do again. I always forget something in the store and am like, "Oh well, we're not having that for dinner, I guess." I literally can't make it back over to the other side. I've even found myself sending my husband to the store these last few months. It's funny because that would have been unheard of years ago. I liked to do everything my way. Now, I have been deeply humbled and will take any help I can get.

Glad you are doing so well and pray you have continued success! :)
 
@younghippie oh.. you will be amazed!! It's so funny how fast you forget all the pain.. I still have a fear of steps though and getting up from the ground at YOGA but I really enjoy walking in a shopping mall or store now. I used to dread it.. along with the lettuce and ice cream. I remember being at the BELKS in a mall near me and looking longingly at JC Penney.. and not being able to walk the small steps to get to JC Penney.. oh was in so much pain.. chronic pain. Now.. very litte.

I'm now almost twelve weeks out. I'm still numb in thigh, no big deal, and have a swollen hip.. pats still a bit tight from swelling. All's well.. and life is slowly returning to norm. Very upset though, my Fitbit Force caused a rash on my arm.. so I had to take it off! ugh.. that helped me keep on track with walking stretching etc. So now I'm no my own. setting my phone instead now.

Hang in there! It'll get better soon. Glad you liked my story. ;)

dk
 
I assume you are aware you can return the Force - they say it is nickel in it causing allergies - but I'm normally allergic to nickel and have no problem with mine.
 
Thanks @charmed-life Pat.. I have only had mine since early January, post hip surgery gift to help monitor walking as I improved. What I loved about the FORCE is the alarm that goes off to make sure I get up and walk, drink water and even eat while I work. Sad to say I'm not so good at reminding myself otherwise so it's been great for recovery. I have requested the "refund" packet. Weird.. that it didn't happen till two months after I started wearing. I do not have any nickel allergies, can wear earrings, jewelry etc. no problems. When I saw the small dots on my wrist wanted to cry. I did wear round the clock. Do you?

I love your recovery updated! I am so happy to hear you are walking so much and that you are enjoying your trip to see your daughter. You might have me motivated to go out and walk more. Walking still worries me.. weird I know, so hearing you are clocking so many miles is great! I agree with your sentiments exactly, people know when it's time to have the surgery, life gets so much smaller and smaller.. and then you realize there is only one solution and it's worth it, THR. I would do it again in a heartbeat. If the other goes, I'm ready! haha. I like you have the pain when I lay on it.. have just started to sleep a bit on the hip in bed. Still swollen quite a bit but it's all good! I'll take that!

I'm hoping to get a new Fitbit or another brand. Have reviewed others but not so sure what to do. I already miss my FBF!! :(

diane
 
Diane, I wore it all the time until the battery died yesterday on my vacation and I can't find my charger - although I know I packed it! They don't seem to sell replacements anywhere since they took the charger off the market - except for $40+ on ebay... So I think I'll get the refund and look for something else. I too loved this one - hopefully their replacement will be out soon. Now I'm using my iPhone with the fitbit app but find it records less steps - and I have to remember to always have it with me. I have NO allergies from it so assume it is not nickel - they aren't sure if its that, the adhesive used in it or something in the band itself.

My incision area is much less swollen in the past couple of weeks and I sleep on it all the time - unless I lie on a hard floor on it, its fine. I have an 8 inch scar on my side - anterior lateral approach.
 
Pat, received my refund envelope.. off it went, tears :( I did receive a letter from FB that said the refund will be here in 2-4. They also said that they are going to come out with a new an exciting model... ugh.. I miss it. I'm not nearly as on track at work getting up and walking, drinking and stretching. My leg is really swollen this week. Too much driving and sitting. My ankles swelled too. Oh well.. still feeling MUCHO better but when I overdo it I can tell. Need to walk more. Talk soon Pat.. glad you are able to walk so much. That's great!!
 
I was thinking of returning mine - and then lost the charger on my trip and they are not for sale anywhere anymore. Wrote to FitBit and they sent me a new one for free. So for now, I'm going to use the Force and see what the new one is like when it comes out - or possibly the hoped for Apple watch that is supposed to have fitness info. Without it the past 10 days or so (due to no charger) I haven't been walking as much - or maybe that's just because I've been back in still cold Minnesota instead of sunny southern California! But I pretty much have no pain ever now, even the muscle/tendon pain I was having when walking - I just do exercise bike a few miles and I have a weight machine and have been using that - but I am up and down a lot all day - not a lot of extended time sitting.
 
That's great @charmed-life! FB seems to be an awesome company and I can attest to lack of remembering to stand up when I am in meetings or whenever the alarms struck! I hope it warms up for you soon. Good news about no pain. I still have a lot of numbness in the thigh area and occasional stabbing pains in the thigh too so obviously I have nerve issues and they are coming back to life! Yesterday I walked steps at work instead of taking the elevator. Last time I took those steps I about died. My boss was with me and she was stunned. I need to do steps more often and skip the elevator. It's amazing how I can roll right back into bad habits.. makes me mad at myself and that FB was mighty helpful to remind me, on my wrist, to take care of me! Looking forward to my follow up appt. on the 10th of April to see the hip joint xray. In the meantime, Im being patient regarding nerve issue. I see it's very common. It's just annoying mostly not painful. Thanks P!
 
@dkirk0530 - how are you doing with the steps. Are you doing them as an average person either without holding on or holding on to a railing slightly? I am curious because stairs are still quite the challenge for me.
 
@dkirk0530 - I have occasional pain down my thigh but mine seems more like muscle/tendon pain. But its so much less the past couple of weeks I don't think about it much. I do steps quite a bit - my husband is a fanatic, my daughter lives on the 3rd floor and we spent 2 weeks with her - must have done those stairs 3 times a day at least. @drahdrah (also) I am finally doing steps without NEEDING to hold on but I usually do just due to paranoia about falling that I've had for years when my leg would give out sometimes without warning (pre-surgery).
 
@dkirk0530 Hi. Read about your nerve issues in your thigh & can relate, as I've had them in my foot since surgery. Foot is numb although I can move it & have sensation in various areas. They tell me the nerves will come back & that this sometimes happens as a result of all the manipulating during surgery. Meantime, it's VERY disturbing to step/walk on a foot you can't really feel. This really makes me averse to walking, which is not good. I also get pins/needles flare-ups, which I hope means nerves are trying to wake up, but are uncomfortable if not painful. No numbness in thigh like you -- almost wish I did instead of foot! Anyway, just thought I'd touch base... You seem to be doing very nicely. I've made some progress, but have a long way to go. It's been an unusual recovery, but I'm hopeful.

Ellen
 
@charmed-life - thanks for the feedback about stairs. I have weakness on both hips when doing them, so I hold onto the railing on one side and use my cane on the other to balance me. It seems to be getting easier, but the progress is so slow that sometimes it feels I will never be able to do them without any aid.
You give me hope !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom