Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ok, home & less delirous:) staples anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dosbichons

Yes, our knees are like toddlers at first, but toddlers grow up. It won't always be like it is now.

You're only just over 6 weeks from surgery, a time when many of us start to get frustrated and wish we could wave a magic wand and suddenly be done with all of it! Hang in there and you'll get through it.

Believe it or not, there will come a time when you actually forget about your knee. A time when you no longer worry about adhesions (while we all worry, there are actually very few people who do develop troublesome adhesions); a time when you no longer have to think about doing knee exercises, when just your activities of daily living are enough.

Keep posting and believe that things will get better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, thanks Celle, for some hope. My knee, dameon (unsure spelling) excorist needed!
One day no pain? seems like a long way off. Frankly, the idea of riding a bike, is something under normal circumstances I didn't do, and the vision of my legs rotating is painful just thinking about it. Is the bicycle a part of the physical therapy?
thanks everyone for acknowledging the responsibility we've taken on :(
Well wished to all for successful dr appts, some sleep, some recovery progress & a smile
Give that toddler a time out!
have a nice evening
Linda
 
I can't begin to talk about my disappointment with the Medical Profession, they are still referencing it as a "profession" huh? Uncaring doctors, nurses, aides, when questions are asked it's as if one is being annoying; pestering the person you're talking to; making them work? answer you? who do you think you are? and if I spot something that doesn't make sense, not even an excuse or an apology or how about : "that's interesting, let me look into that" Doctors, for the most part, really don't care for the total person; if you're a cardiologist why should you even read about arthritis? If you're a pain management doctor, are you aware of alternatives to meds/pain killers? It's worse than our politicians who get away with not working at all, or for those who voted for them. I'm so sorry Nana, about your encounter, it's just not surprising to me. Most people I know, who know me, just say that I'm the "complainer" When I first met with my surgeon, and didn't agree with a little remark he made.. I thought, "thought" being the operative word (no pun intended) "Linda, we don't debate/or what can be considered "argue" with a man with a scaple.
I leave doctors offices all the time screaming, or do so when I get home and figure out how poorly things went.
Example, I had my evaluation for PT at the facility, I kept telling the person, I can't do this or that, or this is going to hurt me, or it's hurting me, and me the idiot.. continued so that when I got home, the pain lasted til midnight..almost as if I just had surgery. I wanted to be "good" "cooperate" even though I felt he didn't care about me or what he was doing (any time I asked for info, he kinda skipped over it, telling me the PT person I would meet on Tuesday, would review the evaluation & come up with the plan.. so this "big shot" was merely a clerk, gathering info to enter into a worksheet, & was looking to move quickly & end the evaluation without answering my questions: after all it was Saturday 830 930 am
**question: is ROM measured with the tool when one is on their back or stomach? ***
I was in so much pain, as if I was just discharged, I don't know how I can "brave" up to exercise today, should have already done some. I did activities I never did before in P T. Now is he inadequate having me do to these activities, & ignoring me ? I admit I am the jerk, but what is he? a clerk messing with those that need help! Don't misunderstand, that episode isn't comparable to those others have just had or are having. You guys are so strong minded & inspire me & others so much, I pray that the recovery process is kinder to us all & somehow we weed through the "clerks" that don't care & find humane intelligent medical professionals who care. Is it a needle in a haystack and if so, ain't that a shame.
 
@Dosbichons ,
Find another PT! If you are seeing someone new the next visit give them a go, but be clear they are not to hurt you.
Sorry to hear you are have run into so many un caring professionals, not all are like that. Keep looking and you will find people who will listen and that can work with you.
Most measure ROM on your back, if your tummy is uncomfortable for you say NO. As long as it is measured in the same position each time, almost any position works, sitting, back, tummy.

I have learned in Dr's offices to turn any statement I have into a question, we are paying them a lot of money let them figure it out. If the answer they give is not satisfactory ask more questions. Be sure to prepare a list of questons ahead of time.

You might want to post these in your own thread, so we have everything in one place and can better respond to your posts.
Here is a link to your thread:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ok-home-less-delirous-staples-anyone.25753/

You are in New York, and if the person doing your evaluation was not a PT, you can report the clinic and the individual the the PT board. Only PT's are qualified to to a PT evaluation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dosbichons I have moved most of your posts from Nana Moon's thread into your own thread. It's better if you keep posts about your own recovery in here for two reasons
1. your story has some continuation for those trying to help you and for others just trying to read your story
2. you were seriously derailing Nana Moon's thread this is not good 'netiquette'!
 
Josephine,
Please accept my apology re posting in the wrong place... I'll try using the link Pumpkin sent me. I meant no harm.. just not good a posting on the board
thanks for alerting me
Linda
 
Linda, @Dosbichons ,
Glad to see you here,
Hope you have a better week, remember ROM comes with decreased swelling, and gentle exercises.
Let us know how you get along with the new PT, hope they are more caring that the first one.
 
Pumpkin..
thanks for responding to my posting. Just did a few exercises.. and feel ok. ironically, if I feel so good am I not doing enough?? I know, it's ok not to be in pain.. the process of going e.g, in a heel slide - holding it just before the pain..."before' .. in doing these exercises, here's my 1/2 empty thought : if we are continually stretching the scar tissue, how can it not hurt.. we're pulling on it to have it stretch.. right?
Gonna not overdo things today...but I should take a lil walk.
c'ya guys later
enjoy the day... wishing you all, less pain, a smooth uncomplicated recovery; adding a lil joy (or a lot :) to your day
Thanks for your support
Linda
 
I need to pound that PT "wanting us to do more, info etc." ... into my brain! I seem to get mesmerized when they lead me into various exercises, acting as if they're simple to do; making it seem "a matter of fact" to be expected.
Thanks for the reminder..

Pumpkin: Question: you mention good enough for stair climbing; you mention good enough for stair climbing; taking into consideration .
Obviously the higher the ROM the better, but I'm no longer looking to climb Mt. Everest, or squat (what for) and cycling is out.. who sets the number?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the ROM needed to do daily activities.

These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.

How much ROM you need for cycling depends on how long your legs are, I have short legs and need more ROM, and taller person needs less to go around.

Hope that helps,
 
I saw the new PT person, we spent more time talking about the plan than exercising.. Here's my question to all... is the deal to stretch scar tissue each time we do an exercise and if so, doesn't the stretching hurt and how much should we stretch and hurt. I did some exercises this morning, not overthetop and spent the rest of the day in bed icing.
Also I still have the original bandaides from the surgery, some of them, when I saw the surgeon he saw them and left them... where some have fallen off I have some scabs... they're teeeeny but elevated so they are now being rubbed by my pants/ I assume I should put more bandages on them????
What do you guys wash the scar area/legs with
thanks
OH NO, tomorrow I see that PT guy that did the evaluation and really directed me into pain. given how I felt today, I am worried about tomorrow am.
 
Josephine...... I think I'm lost? Is this the right place to post?? Hope so.

Perhaps being redundant. I spent the entire day after doing some exercises in bed... with ice and finally the pain subsided at midnight! I did some exercise in the morning.. I saw the PT person on Tues and then spent most of Tues in bed so I thought I needed to so some exercise on Wed.

I say "some" I have an appointment with PT this morning... and am actually afraid of the aftermath. I know I'll hear.. the exercises have to be done.. that my ROM is not high enough and be treated as if I am just being a wimp!! Example, when working with home PT people we got up to my doing a few stairs up and down and the plan was to add stairs .... when I went to the PT facility for the evaluation... I was cajoled into doing 5 up and down stairs a number of time... maybe 3.. while complaining; did I stop? no.. the PT person said what if there was a fire?? so I did them.. this kind of 'reasoning' while it makes sense, gets me to go where I think it beyond... am I supposed to exercise... stretch scar tissue one day and then ice and lay in bed.

Is there something wrong with me? I'm not getting to the proper ROM, the other PT person spoke about her..."Stretching my knee" on Tuesday and that it is the norm to do so. Is the goal to get the scar tissue stretched ASAP, cause eventually it becomes to "hard" to stretch?

So, here I am, waiting to go to PT
back later
Linda
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dosbichons I think people would better be prepared if Doctors didn't let on that you would be fine in a couple of months. They need to let people know how it really is. But it does get better, it just takes lot of time.
 
Chil
Thanks so much for the link...
Perhaps I'm wrong..and most times are:) but I'm under the impression that the getting to the correct ROM to be able to do certain things, the bend in the knee, walking, stairs etc., is based up stretching the scar tissue... is that right? and my worry is that if one doesn't stretch it enough it hardens and then we may not have the moblity we need/or want and that's when it needs to be removed surgically...
Yes, No.? if you've read any of my listings... I am the ultimate worrier, the wimp and the one who sees that glass 1/2 empty. The board has been my savior and besides, learning about the recovery through the eyes of others on the board..it's given me a huge pep talk to get more positive.. I am amazed at how our bone friends look at pain and recovery; encouraging others to remain positive..
So that's my scar tissue worries
thanks for responding
have a super day, less pain and some joy
Linda
 
@dosbischons I'm a glass half-full type :)
The exercises we do are for lots of reasons that I'm sure @Josephine or @Pumpkln can explain much better than I can.
So here is my take:
One is to maintain/develop "glidability" of tissues as they develop or heal. It's about making sure that tissues are viscous enough to slide over one another. Make sure you drink enough fluids. I think of it as lining-up and lubing!

Another is to strengthen muscles that allow the knee joint to work correctly and may have been weakened due to lack of effective use prior to surgery.

I always iced and elevated after PT as part of my routine. Make sure that you are elevating correctly as that makes a huge difference.

My PT never measured my ROM until I asked him to at the end of therapy --he just eye-balled it.

Jen
 
I'm under the impression that the getting to the correct ROM to be able to do certain things, the bend in the knee, walking, stairs etc., is based up stretching the scar tissue... is that right? and my worry is that if one doesn't stretch it enough it hardens and then we may not have the moblity we need/or want and that's when it needs to be removed surgically...

It's got nothing to do with "stretching the scar tissue" and much more to do with getting rid of the swelling that prevents your knee from bending. That's why we recommend lots of icing and elevating and just gentle exercise.

my worry is that if one doesn't stretch it enough it hardens and then we may not have the moblity we need/or want and that's when it needs to be removed surgically.

No, it won't harden. And there is no time limit on improving ROM. It can continue to increase for a year or more.

The exercises we do are for lots of reasons that I'm sure Josephine or Pumpkln can explain much better than I can.
So here is my take:
One is to maintain/develop "glidability" of tissues as they develop or heal. It's about making sure that tissues are viscous enough to slide over one another. Make sure you drink enough fluids. I think of it as lining-up and lubing!
Another is to strengthen muscles that allow the knee joint to work correctly and may have been weakened due to lack of effective use prior to surgery.
I always iced and elevated after PT as part of my routine. Make sure that you are elevating correctly as that makes a huge difference.

Chihuahuan has the right idea!

I think this article might help you to understand:
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?
and this one:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

Now, please try to stop worrying! :friends:
 
Caryl, Chihuahua
Thanks so much for clearing scar tissue and my fear... Ya know each medical person I've seen even prior to surgery I've spoken about bone smart and told them how comforting the forum is to any having or going to have surgery.. especially because it's people who have had or are having the surgery and all the recovery issues that go with it; how anything I have on my mind: a question, worry, hand holding, is anwered positively right away. I try to at least have them check out the forum as it may be helpful to them & those they treat/interact with.. all of whom, tell me that I shouldn't follow info on the internet.. which I personally find insulting as if I am a moron sending them to any old site.. my goodness, not even to check it out to see if anything could be new/useful to them.. which only proves to me those like a few of the PT people, do their "job" as clerks, showing no interest in improving or learning. It's mindboggling.
 
As a general rule, it's probably not a good idea to blindly follow advice from the internet. There are some weirdos out there.

However, BoneSmart has advisers (Josephine and Orthodoc) with vast professional experience. Add to that the practical experience of hundreds of us who have been through joint replacements and I think we have a very reputable site. I'm glad it can help so many people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom