Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ok, home & less delirous:) staples anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't seem to be able to do all the excises I should/can. And OMG after visiting YouTube, to see Just those for ROM (slides,etc) then there's strengthening ..ones quads and good ole walking/strengthening.. I would do not more than exercises BUT my body won't let me. The up and down out of bed/in bed.. walking around apt - wears me out.. then I try to walk to and fro my apt to elevator...and yes, I'm tired.. then excercises. Past 2 days tried this... am took "2" pain meds vs. normal one at around 5:30/630 am.. wait an hr. and then excercised.. unfortunately with the 2 meds.. I felt no pain... I say, unfortunately...lesson learned because I overdid it. Human nature:? feeling good? do 3 more of this or that. So this am I'm going to select less exercises,"DO A CHART"/LIST" of what I am doing do I can figure out what works .. if less reps/hold longer.. so I am not in bed..icing after my am.. Overdoit routine. Guilt of course, plays into my feeling I should be walking much more. doing more of everything really. Tues I have an evaluation at the PT facility where I will be going .. my pt person's last day with me is _today/Friday.. so I will definetely have a routine.
I get so annoyed when others/doctors/ pt's .. can't comprehend that tolerating pain is different for each person... and I may be a wimp who can't tolerate pain like others.. or am I?
It's 1230 am, not sleeping - time for a pain med.. then am excercises. I don't know what has caused me to become a hermit/recluse.. BUT I am. don't want to see others - not in the mood to socialize.. Going to "force" myself to go out side for at least a cup of coffee
hope everyone's having a nice sleep.. c'ya guys later
 
@Dosbichons just do enough exercise that is comfortable for you. You are no wimp! We all feel and handle pain so very differently. If you go back to the Bonesmart mantra that the forum moderators will have given to you, there is one with exercises on it. There is also a chart that shows you approximately what stage you are at in your recovery. (I've put it at the bottom of this page for you to just press and use)

What I've learnt is, although my recovery has been über slow, that some exercise is better than no exercise. You are just about 4 weeks post op, which is so early in recovery. It really is. Go easy on yourself. Can I suggest that you tag Josephine in and ask her advice? Her job is in orthopaedics, she is so experienced with a wealth of knowledge. She would be the best person to guide you really.

You've not become a hermit/recluse lol! Your body has gone into protection mode. You don't want people bumping into you it boisterous kids/dogs. Once you get your strength back, you'll be fine honestly. It's just a stage you're going through. When you think about it, many years ago before medicine and care moved on, yd have been in hospital for how many weeks after this type of surgery? You've undergone major surgery, that's what you have to remember, so take it easy, make sure the PT doesn't hurt you, if they do make them stop. The rule if thumb is, if it hurts don't do it!

I hope this helps you I would suggest you read the chart first xxx

Exercises for TKRs: do-it-yourself exercises from basic to advanced

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dosbichons
Take each day or hour with what it presents for you and don't compare yourself to others.

Your TKR was only a month ago and everyone's journey takes a different road and at a different speed.

Don't force yourself to do what you're not able for, but think about a short walk to a coffee shop or local cafe just to sit and people watch.

Also exposure to sunlight provides the body to produce Vitamin D, which is good for bones and general health.

Know that you live in NYC and being out and about on the pavements/sidewalks can be a challenge with the crowds.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I visited this site
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nyt-how-to-talk-about-pain.25448/ commented as I keep holding in.. my feelings with others re: this whole process and the time it could take/to not have this recovery my life.. it just seems like bed/pain/pt/walk/pain/bed...
how does your friends/family deal with your pain?? do you complain? moan? hold your feelings inside..or are an optimistic person who looks at the bright side.
 
@Dosbichons
it just seems like bed/pain/pt/walk/pain/bed...
do you complain? moan? hold your feelings inside..or are an optimistic person who looks at the bright side.
You are very early in the recovery process and the pain can take a long while to resolve --and feel never ending!. Keeping it under control is really important. My goal was to always take my meds on time and follow the Bonesmart mantra. If it is not under control then you need to contact your doctor.
My opinion: We all deal with pain in different ways. All the complaining in the world does not help the pain get any better but it does help emotionally to vent! That's part of the role of Bonesmart. No-one can understand this type of pain unless they have "been-there" so if a person complains and moans to their non-TKR family and friends it becomes tedious and unproductive. A good grimace is much more effective!
 
going to try to "not" complain.. LOL, although it's only 5:30 am :)
For whatever exercises and pain mgmt pills I took the day before... I could hardly get out of bed yesterday and as much as I was hoping to take a walk, I did my am exercies...and ready..? moaning again: I was in bed almost all day but for walking in the hallway and around my apt a lot. I worry about ROM, a lot. But ya know what? this am... I can't believe it.. and as I said, it's early. My knee feels great. I'm afraid to even think about not doing all the slides, etc. 2-3 times a day..
I have an appt with a pain mgmt dr. and know I'm going to have to..be the one.. to try to explain..."managment" to her without becoming too emotional. To have her understand that I don't think the pain should fluxuate so much, that I need meds to take before and after PT so I can do the exercises. If I take 2 meds I can do the mid morning, but then what what after the exercise//nothing for 4-5 hours...Doesn't seem right to me.
Also, I haven't walked the distance to get to this dr's office .. so I am nervous
wish me luck
Hope everyone's doing fine....OMG, summer is not my favorite time of the year...tooooo hot
enjoy the day.. carpe diem
Linda
 
Take care @Dosbichons, I do hope the pain management appointment goes well. Please don't be too hard on yourself, you are only a month out, at that stage I was still resting most of the day, usually still upstairs, I didn't do stairs unless I really had to, so my dear husband was delivering all my meals to me. I just exercised, rested, iced and elevated....and nothing else. Thinking of you xx
 
Pain management dr appt. I was festering so much anger since my surgery.. reading about taking pain meds & over the meds I received after being discharged. having too much pain for PT- resenting the pain I was having the nurse at the hospital who, from my experience dealing with her all the months I did prior to surgery, was just so anti-pain med managment always annoyed when I called, making me feel as if I were trying to "get unwarranted drugs" & making me feel as if I was the only patient who had a problem with the meds they prescribed. She even took umbrage when I told her a script she said she mailed me was never received: that it would be better if she mailed it to the drugstore so they could fill it & deliver it vs. my having to "go" to drop/pick up the meds. OMG.. she had to redo the mailing (aside I did get the 1st script, dated 9/7.. postmarked 9/14.!) So angrily I met with my pain managment dr. on Thurday, promising myself I would get what I need for PT & after a lot of agressive (touching on rude!) chatter, she gave me pain meds!! unbelieveable. 1 pain killer, Gabapentin- to work up to taking 3x a day, continue w hydromorphone 2mg- ultimately use for PT- prior to PT& after PT, Celebrex 2x a day: an anti-inflammatory & xstrenght tylenol 2x aday I explained (aggressively that I know I should have pain but I need to exercise.. & need help with that pain..cause I know if I don't do PT , I'll face the dreaded ROM.. issue.. I did apologize for my rude agressiveness.. but I got through to her. I hate when I'm told by anyone " well you had surgery, pain is to be expected... no Kiddin'
I walked to much getting to & from the drs apppt so I didn't exercise much at all..the knee was - not tight. however I did "rest" in bed with ice... & not in as much pain. started the new pain mgmt regime & ready for this? I slept last nite & woke at 6am!! biting my tongue->> No pain- feeling good- took my pills/the new ones...made myself eggs over potato hash, & life seems a little better today..........
so my friends unfortunately it's "the squeaky wheel" that gets attention & no matter how we know the amt of pain we have... others DON'T. I don't even want to touch upon how things would be/have been/be if I were a male. I doubt questioning a male's pain just doesn't happen ( Husband sat in on the appt& jumped in to have her more accountable & explain the protocol clearly!) Interesting Are us woman always going to be looked at as whiners, weaker patients? I'm excited:Going to take meds around 11am.. then if husband not crabby, get script filled by taking cab to drugstore.. I discovered a cool place to eat online - new one. around the corner from drugstore. I think I learned it maybe better to live with sometimes being thought of as a "Witch", female, to get what one needs & to plunge ahead & find ways to enjoy oneself
Fingers
crossed... it's a holiday weekend: Labor Day, gonna try to make it one that when I look back on it next year it would be a fun one

Enjoy
 
@@Nana moon 27 - US, and particulary NY, has changed the perscription process for narcotic drugs, which is on 1 hand a great idea for those abusing drugs especially those drs who make their bucks writing scripts for those that are not in pain, but looking to get high.. Now drs can't call a pharmacy to place a percription.The perscription must be a "hard copy" paper, & the person who is getting the script, must pick it up in person ("my: drugstore will deliver the meds proceeded by the hard copy script) My pain dr will not mail me a perscription! has to be picked up! (altho the hospital will mail a script)
a few times, the drugstore didn't have the full amt of pills that the script callled for so they filled the amount they had..& then 'voided' the script so that a new script for the missing/unfilled pills has to be obtained. can be a real pain. (no pun intended)
I did the am exercise without pain!! after taking some pain meds... no ice needed.. & now debating with myself, if I should go out or watch tv/ do some pc stuff & hide. After yesterdays' outing, I worry about falling. Since this has happened to me I now recognize how most people are caught up in their own bubble, unaware of others' waiting for a cab, going into e.g. a coffee shop/drug store, not holding the door, pushing ahead to get a table, or just monopolizing the sidewalk's space. I've been a New Yorker all my life ,always loved the hussle/bussel of NYC, til the kneee problem. Surburbia seems too quiet for me... wonder if there's a middleground.. something for me to think about.. getting on in years.. I'm hoping once I'm back.. probably 6 months? ya think? maybe I can get the strength (physical and mental) to find a new place to start over..
Hey I know I'm doing better... I'm starving :) who was it that ate 2 lbs of spaghetti? LOL :loll:by the weigh (pun) I lost 10 lbs.. which is a good thing.. weighed myself yesterday at dr.s office... anyone have cupcakes?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Dosbichons - hungry is good! Enjoy whatever you fancy, after what seems like a day that has been a big improvement on previous ones. Well done.
Congrats also on standing your ground and getting the meds you need.
Crowds can be scary, and it is best to try and find somewhere relatively peaceful to do your 'walking practice' if that is at all possible.
I'm not sure if you are still walking with a crutch or cane - if you are then take that with you and use it as your walking aid and weapon! Seriously - people don't seem to be concerned by somebody walking slowly or with difficulty, but a crutch is a visual reminder, a waving, weapon-like crutch in the hands of a TKR survivor is a practical reminder. Ha ha!

Less pain and an appetite are really good signs. You will get there, but it is a long haul and takes bucketloads of patience and gritted teeth.

I am 7 months out now and a couple of weeks ago I went into London on the train, walked about, up and down stairs, used the Underground (Subway) and even stood for part of the journey hanging on by the ceiling strap! No problems at all but I would not have dreamed this would be possible 5 months ago. It will happen for you as well, just give it time.

Take care and enjoy your weekend

XX
 
@Dosbichons
Many medium size cities are rebuilding downtown with condos etc. Millennials are moving back downtown with renovated buildings, shops, resturants, theatre, parks, etc in these cities. They are also demanding public transportation. They are rejecting the car suburbia culture where they spent young lives being dragged around by their parents in large SUV's.
We have several high rise condo projects here (well not high rise by NYC standards), they are filling up with the economy improving.
By the time you are ready to make a move you should have many options to choose from.
 
Pumpkin- thanks for the encouragement. curious where are you located??
Dogwheels, I use a cane, and laughed about it serving as a weapon.. trust me, I've envisioned myself as that lil ole crazy lady hitting someone with a cane. As negative as this sounds... I feel the cane, sometimes alerts others of one's vulnerability.. becoming an easy target for those looking to take advantage. I've experienced when holding the cane, people stealing my cab. juming ahead of me.. yes, the world has changed. On occassion, the cab driver will not let that person take the cab, saying they saw I was first.. but this is NYC and who has time to think about others.. making money is key.
back later, gotta eat.. "a lot" LOL
 
Morning everyone... hoping you guys had some rest & a peaceful evening
I wish I were more PC literate & could navigate this site - I only see the alerts and click on that tag/s..
I stumbled upon "where are you in recovery" - don't ask me how to find it.. but the clarity of one's knee's being assaulted shed some light on expectations. While all of us "can" be more patient with our recovery, not necessarily the pain (so we lose some sleep, handling chores are impossible, so forgo them, walking can be a challenge, getting along with " caretakers" "annoying people who say, you need to deal with the pain, it will be over soon", etc., ain't the big issue) I worry and worry about the ole, "not having enough ROM" & its awful consequences. My home PT visits are over, I'm scheduled to see an outside PT facility for an evaluation on the 6th-which I am afraid of hearing not enough ROM!!!! & then start PT with them on the 9th. So this week & last week has been a challenge. Do I stretch the scar area doing those slides to get a better ROM ? &
more pain each time I do that?
Does anyone measure their own knee's ROM/angle?? and if so.... how?
So, am I overcompensating having no one oversee some exercises? Doing more or less than I should? The PT person who had visited me, did walk me outside down the block & back when she was caring for me...I did it but I was wobbly. So I am afraid of falling.. or life? I need to "convince" myself to GO OUTSIDE, take a walk, for my knee and my mental condition- being isolated..(hiding from meeting/seeing/hanging with other people)
It's a holiday weekend in NYC, so New York City dwellers have left town, so it should be nice & quiet, but for where tourists would visit, not me
Might me the perfect day to hang outside... and OMG, have a light beer????
carpe diem
enjoy your day
Linda
 
@Dosbichons Hi there. Have been reading your posts here. My opinion and what I have read over and over is not to push. My ROM came very slow but sure. You are very early in your recovery. It takes time and it tries patience beyond anything I have ever experienced! Take care of that knee now, baby it and the pay off will be great down the road. My humble advice is use the instruction on this site. It has helped me more than anyone that criticized me in my non cyber world. You should not be pushed to pain. I went very slowly and was told very early I would not "get better" if I didn't push harder.
It will get easier.....it just takes time. I wish you well. Keep posting. The support here is wonderful!
~~hopefaith
@Phil75070 is good at helping people navigate the site. @Nana moon 27 is also a good resource.
 
@Dosbichons ,
Here is the information you were looking for in Nana Moons thread.
This is a link to the Library Index, you can find most articles here.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/#post-332442

Information about ROM and how to measure it. There are Goniometer apps available to measure your ROM
ROM (range of motion) information
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!

Here is a link to where are you in recovery, Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Post op blues, Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

You are still very early in your recovery, please be sure your out patient PT is gentle, no need to push ROM, it will come naturally as your swelling goes down.

Post # 2, on page one of your thread has the recovery articles, you may want to go back and read them again. I still re read them, we forget some of the great information in these threads. Just click on the box #1 at the bottom of this post, and it will take you to page one.
 
@Dosbichons

I worry and worry about the ole, "not having enough ROM" & its awful consequences. My home PT visits are over, I'm scheduled to see an outside PT facility for an evaluation on the 6th-which I am afraid of hearing not enough ROM!!!! & then start PT with them on the 9th. So this week & last week has been a challenge. Do I stretch the scar area doing those slides to get a better ROM ? &
more pain each time I do that?

You're not even two months from major surgery.

Please stop worrying about ROM! It's only a number anyway. What you can do is more important.

Never, ever, exercise to the point of pain. Stop when it is getting too uncomfortable, but before you feel actual pain. Pain is bad. It tells you your knee doesn't like what you are doing, so stop.

Remember what these articles say:
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!

You can continue to get improved ROM for a year, or even more, after surgery.
 
I feel pretty much in the dumps, the realization may be.. that this knee is now a new addition to my life which is now seemingly taking up almost a much time as a new toddler. For someone like myself, working long hours/own business, socializing with friends & business meetings and then having 2 loves of my life: dogs, my life was so not wrapped into exercising! and now, pain, pill, exercise, rest/ice, pain pill walk and walk and pill and pain and I can't even wrap my head around this new lifestyle, and this is the way things can be... it's not excise a few months and then no pain, it's a constant fear of scar tissue.. I saw the surgeon yesterday ... all's well see him in a year.. he was kinda taken back when I spoke about the knee being assaulted/mugged stuff... LOL!
It's kind of depressing... but we don't have much of a choice.. so getting dressed to attempt to take a short walk.
sorry to be so negative...
Linda
 
@Dosbichons Tkrs are like toddlers-- they require great patience, are incredibly frustrating at times ( or for a long time), have tantrums, some may require intervention, and in the majority of cases become well functioning
It's up to us in how we approach our long recovery process. We go through ups and downs -- sometimes like a yoyo...other times it's more like sailing through rough seas to find the calm. There is nothing controllable except our attitudes and approach to this, hopefully, temporary inconvenience.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom