Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ok, home & less delirous:) staples anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shrug: @Dosbichons
Great question, I have been wondering the same thing about acceptable pain levels throughout the day.

I also have a constant pain, when idle- laying with leg elevated, sitting any time with non activity it is always about a constant 2-3 level and can increase up to level 4. Taking pain meds 4 x/ day and Valium as a muscle relaxer 2-3 times per day and the occasional Oxynorm after PT for break thru pain.

My TKR was on Thursday 17 July and while the pain has lessened, there is still a continuos level of pain all the time ! Your TKR was a few days after mine on 21 July and wondering when we will both feel a lessening of the continual pain/ discomfort . :what:
 
I think that some pain is to be expected - after all, you have had pretty extensive surgery. 2-3 at rest initially is probably about right, although of course less (1-2) would be better.

What is important is not to let physiotherapy hurt you and move you beyond discomfort into real pain. If it does, you are doing too much PT.

Remember the BoneSmart mantra, especially the bit about physiotherapy:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

It's important to keep taking your pain medications on a regular schedule, when they are due, so that you don't end up playing catch-up with the pain.
 
@Dosbichons Sounds like you need to request to be switched to the good therapist. The first week after surgery you will have higher spikes of pain while walking etc., but they shouldn't be huge spikes. You shouldn't go from a 2 or 3 sitting up to a 6 or 7 standing. More like a 2 or 3 up to a 4 or 5. If that makes sense to you. It takes awhile for the pain to lessen. At 10 weeks with his first knee, hubby was getting down to a 1 and 2 pain level. It takes some time, If you continually overdo it takes longer.
 
I also think you should try to change PT's. if not I would tell the one I had how much better I felt with the methods used by the replacement. PT. Take it easy - it makes a huge difference in recovery.
 
You guys must know how great it is to have somewhere to go to ask a question and get an answer. :snork: In retrospect , pre-op, when I asked what the surgery was like, I would hear things like" oh, my grandmother had it and it was excruiciating" or "my mother had a replacement and it wasn't bad" sure sure:) lol. I've given the name of this forum to every PT person I meet, each nurse and anyone I've come in contact with.
I think the newest therapist is the best one as I didn't have the pain after PT that I had before.. but when does one feel normal? I'll get to the hospital nurse tomorrow and find out about meds.. *By the way, whoever is taking Valium, I thought it (that kind of med, )had a negative interaction with most painkillers. but I AM NOT GIVING ANY ADVICE... just would love a valium & can't take one with the meds I'm taking and have taken. SO this is another day, didn't sleep much, constantly watching the clock wondering if I should/can take a pain med. did some exercises and am now icing and have decided.."screw it' call me lazy, I'm going to stop .. for today.. wondering about bills, the condition of the apt (a mess) and try to just find 1 thing to do, that can keep my mind off my knee!
oh, for those married people: women: is your husband the care giver? and how's he doing? If I could fire mine I would. I understand how stressful it is for the caregiver, but geeze louise, even if it's just getting me a spoon, you would think he climbed Mt. Everest. I also think the chores is used to do, 30+years, have now been put into the "caregiver overwhelmed, will do it when I can" pile.
As you can imagine, the clutter is adding to the stress. Sorry for all the complaining this am.. venting and bi*chin*
have a great day
Linda
I also think you should try to change PT's. if not I would tell the one I had how much better I felt with the methods used by the replacement. PT. Take it easy - it makes a huge difference in recovery.
I also think you should try to change PT's. if not I would tell the one I had how much better I felt with the methods used by the replacement. PT. Take it easy - it makes a huge difference in recovery.
 
Oops sorry for the duplicate quoted message. I have this new therapist 3 days next week for home PT, and will find out how many more visits (home PT) I have. otherwise I better get my butt in gear as I'll be going to an "out patient p/t" considering I haven't walked any real distance. I hope today... I can get Husband to just escort me down the block and back to the apt. While a lot of my neighbors have "offered" to help..."let me know if you need anything" you know what that means... no one's banging on the door to help. As we all know it's tough enough to ask for help, but when you know who you have to ask, no matter how small the favor is, is not forthcoming, get's tougher. I was told, I need someone to escort me initially.
Should try to walk a 1/2 block and get some air...
another thing: MOOD
Who's getting depressed?

I know like the pain, it's to be expected.. of course, the new role is dependent, shut-in, not having an active life, or one's old life. How to fill in the voids, feeling alone. Not a crossword puzzle person and I think I've watched every episode of every tv series a bazillion times.
what fills the time you're home/stuck inside?
 
Hi Dobichons - not having gone thru this surgery I doubt very many caregivers could understand how much is involved. Exception is @tiredwife. My hubby was very good and I am not sure what made him that way. Somewhere - either a doctor or nurse - got thru to him about the trauma done to our legs. You may suggest he watch a video of the surgery. By the way I can't watch one and I will be having my second knee done! I am trying to get some food made up and frozen so at least he won't have to do so much. Though he cooks better than I do! Hope your day is less painful!
 
Can we rent out your Hubby? I'm ready for a trade-in. He has tried to cook for me.. I'd rather have a cracker with some butter... he's lost it. As the days go by, he's more and more overwhelmed, and I can't feel sorry for him. He may have already seen the video. He's one of those people who don't worry at all, if I spoke of pain, would proably say.. to be expected.
Have any of you guys lost your appetite?
I'd be more inclined to cook for myself/us if there was something that would spark my appetite
I did freeze some food prior to the surgery,but whatever I cooked is not appealing.. maybe it's the meds?

Thanks for getting back to me
 
I lost my appetite too and I recovered thru Christmas holidays and lost 12 pounds. It took me about six weeks to start craving and eating food. Now my tummy looks a little bigger just in time for my other tkr. I did not even crave or eat chocolate which I could Eat for breakfast. Very bizarre!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ok, home & less delirous:) staples anyone?
@Dosbichons, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you want to be sure you get an immediate response, tag an admin, mod, or other member.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
@Dosbichons As a caregiver I can tell you the first week is very tough. My husband sleeps in our bed so when he doesn't sleep I don't sleep, plus I am always leery about hitting his leg. I am constantly on edge because I keep an eye on him pretty close just incase he needs something. Remember men are seldom the caregivers in a relationship, some men are great, others just have no clue how to go about it - it isn't in their make up. Try to be patient with him. He loves you and he may not show it, but he does feel your pain. Men usually are raised to be tough, and not to be overwhelmed by not being able to 'fix' your pain, your husband is trying to put on a brave face. If he is trying to manage things he is not use to doing, it is like starting a new job, he needs a training period.
Make sure you are eating protein each meal for energy and healing.
 
@Dosbichons oh my you made me crack up :rotfl: because my hubby well he just doesn't get it what worries me is my second one my daughter in law won't be here so hopefully will survive it. oh I am laughing as I so understand what ya going threw @tiredwife you are probably right bout men but dang sometimes it hard but as I have told yu many times you are an angel, you could give lessons to the husbands :loll:
 
Merge?? I just can't seem to get it.. will read about where to post a response and how to post a new thread..
 
Tired wife.... that's exactly what I feel like LOL, You're good and soooo patient.. I'm tossing my hands up in the air. ya see I think when a man doesn't want to do something.. "the I dunno know how to" comes into play. Women are always "braving" it up, and when I ask/expect such lil things to be done.. well, I'm not as tolerant as you are. I also admit I am resentful as I know if things were reversed, yes I would be the perfect caregiver. A new job? I don't think so. I also "hate"having to even "ask" as I think he could be a tad proactive.. however, it is what it is.
Guess, this procedure has gotten me angry .. yes, about the pain, but more about having to be dependent.
I'll try to be more positive today.. wish me luck:(
 
@Dosbichons Now that you are on the recovery side, you don't start new threads, you just post on this same one! That way people can read your whole recovery story instead of bits and pieces. If you want a certain person's attention you just add the '@' right in front of their name (like I did yours) and make sure you spell their name exactly as they have it. If you do it right the name will change to blue when you post it.
 
Do you have any friends who could take a walk with you or stop by to visit? I've found that friends need you to ask something specific, but when you do they are willing to step up.

It does get old being stuck at home.
 
o today, I felt like a stranger on my own block (live in this hood 35+yrs) so we sat outside yes, had a drink, and walked a little ways "little" to mid block where I'll be hopefully going tomorow to sit outside:) have a salad, plug in some music and hope there's no pain.
These little forays into the "real world" allow us to have a glimpse of normalcy---this is a big help and helps us to realize that there is a future, and it is a great one after a TKR.
he platoon seargent Phyical Therapist that's been coming to my house this week, wasn't available today and I had a new person ..and voila... not suffering.
Please do not let anybody hurt you or push you to the point of pain. Remember, every PT in the world works for you, not vice versa.

You set the limits as to what you will do, how far you will go, and what is acceptable and what is not---if they do not like it, let them walk and hire somebody who will work for you and your best interest at heart.
 
I think that some pain is to be expected - after all, you have had pretty extensive surgery. 2-3 at rest initially is probably about right, although of course less (1-2) would be better.
You had two bones sawed off and they were not gentle with the implants and other tools---the tourniquets also can cause pain down the road. The swelling, stiffness and such all add up---a "1"or a "2" would be great, but a "3" or a "4" would also be expected for many. Make sure that you are taking the pain meds "on the clock" and that you are icing, elevating, and resting excessively/
 
:hi: @Dosbichons
Hope that you are doing better. I had my LTKR on 17 July and had the 38 staples removed on 31 July by the nurse where I was in the rehab centre- luckily no pain, sting or discomfort we talked about our holiday/vacation plans, Rory McElroy/golf and before I knew it they were all out. Initially covered with small water proof dressing and 6 steri-strips for 3 days and then all Dressings removed. Scar is long but straight, but won't be wearing too many mini-skirts, so no problem there.
Working on my pain med control and finding it keeps most of the pain at bay, although pain level on the inside of the knee is always about 2/3 level.
Finding :chillpill: :ice: :beer: Elevation, ice and taking my pain meds is the way for me to be most comfortable.

Take care and the road to recovery has many unexpected twists & turns along the way !:flwrysmile:

Cathie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom