Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ok, home & less delirous:) staples anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merge?? I just can't seem to get it.. will read about where to post a response and how to post a new thread..
@Dosbichons ---it is really simple---just keep posting in this thread---that way, we can very easily keep track of how you are doing and what is going on. As questions or concerns come up, they can be replied to very quickly if you only have one recovery thread.

@Dosbichons Now that you are on the recovery side, you don't start new threads, you just post on this same one! That way people can read your whole recovery story instead of bits and pieces. If you want a certain person's attention you just add the '@' right in front of their name (like I did yours) and make sure you spell their name exactly as they have it. If you do it right the name will change to blue when you post it.

Exactly. Just keep on posting in this thread and we will looking forward to reading about how things are going.
 
I'm not really sure how long it takes to feel normal, but your pain will change as you heal. I'm 8 weeks out and have been off narcotics for almost 3 weeks, but I still take ibuprophen and tylenol. My nerves are in the process of healing and it brings a whole new set of feelings, but is definitely not as bad as the early on recovery pain.

My husband tries to do the best that he can. I think the problem is that he is not me. He was not taught by my mother how to do things, so he does them differently or he just does not see. I used to think that was an excuse, but have learned that it's not. My house is in a constant state of mostly disaster, and I'm going to let it go except the bare minimum until I can physically work alongside my family to make it better (and stay on top of them:).
 
My nerves are in the process of healing and it brings a whole new set of feelings, but is definitely not as bad as the early on recovery pain.
Yes---when those little booger start to re-attach themselves there is a whole new set of "WOW" feelings!
 
My house is in a constant state of mostly disaster, and I'm going to let it go except the bare minimum until I can physically work alongside my family to make it better (and stay on top of them:).
A wise move---everything will get done in due time.
 
I give up when I go to the forum and see alerts... I go there as I am now posting a reply vs starting a new thread... where I start a new thread I'm pretty down today and need some advice/info
will try to figure out where I should post
thanks
Linda
 
:hi: @Dosbichons
I just been re-reading your posts from the first to your last on Monday 11 August. Hoping that you are getting some additional pain relief, as that can be the thing that gets me down the most.

You asked who was on Valium - it's me.
  • My pain medicine programme was originally while I was in the hospital for 6 days post-op and then in Rehab Centre for and additional 14 days.
  • OxyContin 10mg ( long acting pain relief)twice a day at 10 am & 10pm for 21 days
  • 2 Solpadeine ( maximin 8 per day for 21 days) at 7am - 12 pm - 5:30 pm and 10:00 pm
  • OxyNorm 5mg ( Oxycodone ) for breakthrough pain as needed - usually before or after PT
  • Valium 2 mg before or after PT to relax the muscles

  • When I came home on 6 August finished with the OxyContin
  • My GP / PCP changed the Solpediene to Tylex (it contains 30 mg Paracetamol/500mg Codeine)2 tablets to a maximum of 8 in 24 hours
  • Continue with Valium before or after PT ( maximum of 3 tablets/day) - most days now only take one in am before I do my at home PT and then my 25 minute walk.
  • Continue OxyNorm - as needed & again before or after PT session.
This seems to keep the pain at about 2 most of the time and I still elevate and ice knee for 1-2 hours at a time throughout the day.

Due to other medical conditions I am also taking
  • Xarelto - a blood thinking medication - history of blood clots in legs & lungs since age 21had been on Coumadin for 40 years and now switched to Xarelto
  • Rosuvastation 5 mg ( had heart attack about 10 years ago)
  • Omesar 20 mg to prevent high Blood Pressure and it's averages about 112/ 68 most of the time
  • Eltroxin 150 mg - for Hypothyroidism
  • Victozia injection daily for type 2 Diabetes
So, you can see why my Pharmacist knows me well. Here in Ireland there is a maximum payment for a family of €144.00/ or $ 193.00 a month that I pay ( insurance doesn't cover medicines) and my husbands medicine is also counted and if you have children under the age of 18 years.

:walking: I find my daily (now 25 minutes each) walks a great way to get the head clear and combat the boredom.

Ireland has very unpredictable summer weather, but this summer we have had many dry days, so getting out for a walk has not been a problem. Out I go with my two canes:old: and slowly walk 12 minutes in one direction and then turn around and go home. My two daytime walks are by myself and in the evening Des drives us to the local park or seaside walk way and do the last of the 3 walks.

The walks started 2 days post- op while still in hospital at 5 minutes then 7 minutes and have now gradually increased to 25 minutes. The goal is to be able to do 3 thirty minute walks by week 6 post-op.
Find that when I came back I :ice: & :chillpill: & elevate the knee the BoneSmart pillow way & medicate if needed and generally sleep for at least 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Well heading out now for my first walk and hope that you are coming along on your recovery journey also.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Cathie, thanks for sharing. Wishing you continued success on your path to recovery... the day to day/ meds/ walking etc. is very different than my experience. I just started to get outside my apt building -nyc -city environment /streets/ lots of people walking on the sidewalks.. rushing & rushing. it's NYC all about "me' vs. the suburbs. The replacementment was 7/21.I've had physical therapists visit me/home 3-4 x a week which wlll be ending soon- then I'm going to an outpatient PT center, I think I'm insured for about 3 mos. I'm not on as many pain meds as you-seems NY is stricter! one has to ration the meds. I count them daily! In trying to follow a regime given to me by the PT person: 3 sessions/ for me to do daily, e.g slides, lifts. etc. I find it hard to do all 3 of them & then be able to take a walk as well. I'm using a cane in the hallway of the building where I live/ back & forth. Yesterday PT & I walked down the block:) me a little shakey.. & we tried doing some steps.. so what's my issue ? The light bulb went on & depresion set in..
My life? 5am pills= wait to kick in to exercise @6.. 7 ice recoup/eat- 9 some calls/work on pc.. told can't lay in bed all day although I'm always tired /but more want to hide under blankets, 12/1 ready for pain meds/ to do midday exercises.. a walk?)
5 meds/6 either me PT alone or with PT... pain & recoup.. this all will change in 2 wks when I need to "go' to PT center..
what's my beef/ the realization that this is not a "life" I have lived/ & it, & the pain probably will continue longer than I naively thought it would I thought exercise, meds. less and less pain... but now I'm not so sure. sorry to be so maudlin,, I'm hoping this grey cloud will pass as I get less shakey on my legs.. can walk & when I go to PT center, have a positive daily experience,, at least being with others. Tomorrow I'm going to get a neighbor walk with me down the block so I can get some lunch outside interacting with others. I'm trying to be positive, tough though.. take care > I was told valium has negative interactions with most pain killer
take care
Linda
 
@Dosbichons, we can try to mentally prepare ourselves for this recovery, but can't fully comprehend it until we are experiencing it. It's tough. It is tough! (I thought it was worth repeating). My first 4 weeks, I was on a myriad of prescriptions including ms cotin for 10days 2xs a day, Percocet every 4 hours, flexeril (muscle relaxant) every 8 hours, Valium every 8 hours (4 hours off the flexeril) and aspirin (for blood thinning). Even with all those on board, I managed only my PT and walking as needed around the house. So if you are not up to a walk, IT'S OK. I'm sure you are walking around the apartment plenty. Your pain will change over time, slowly, and sometimes it will be necessary to look back to see how far you've come in your recovery. It is YOUR recovery and will be different from others. Some times you may progress faster than others, and sometimes, it may be slower. This too is OK.

Most of us have slipped into that dark cloud. Sometimes it's a quick slip and sometimes it sneaks up so slowly that we don't even realize how or when we got there. The fact that you recognize this is huge. Knowing it's normal helps, but we all have to work at pulling ourselves out of the cloud. It helped me to find someone else's thread to read. We have some amazingly positive BoneSmarties out there- many of whom have had complications- but keep pumping out the positive vibes anyway (they have dark cloud days too). Another trick is to help someone else. When we read other people's threads and comment whether we are trying to answer a question based on our experience or just sending a "hello, I'm thinking about you," it takes the focus off your own knee and feels good.

Hang in there, watch all those people bustling by on the streets of NYC and be grateful that you aren't in that big of a hurry, but someday soon (weeks or months) you will be able to choose to be bustling if you want.
 
H2,
Wow, just what I was hoping for.........someone to read the post and share their thoughts, to "yank" me outta my "woe is me" THANK YOU!! You know this forum is soo special & for me a link to encouragement, a place where others have had similar experiences. I think all the advice I got re: this recovery was underplayed, so I had false expectations. I don't know why others always say, it ain't so bad, you'll feel better after the surgery.. as if one will hop outta bed and start rock climbing once the surgery is done.
I think it's better to hear that the pain can be with one for a long time, and that PT can./will be painful.
Sorry, to babble...
again... a really BIG thank you
now, let me see if I can figure how how to shower... getting husband to hold one of those shower hoses... should be interesting... LOL
Linda
 
@Dosbichons You are about at the point in recovery were my hubby (with his first knee) had a bout of depression. It is very common to think at that point that things won't get any better. Some people the depression lasts a little longer than with others. You need to concentrate and celebrate each little accomplishment you have, so you can see that things are getting better, like the first time you could get out of bed by yourself and the first time you could put full weight on your new knee. Instead of torturing yourself about what you can't do. You are still so early in the recovery and it does get easier but it is slow. I think a lot of people are misled by doctors saying 'you will be fine in 8 weeks or 10 weeks' when in reality it is a lot slower recovery than that. At 10 weeks my hubby on his first knee was doing really well, but he still has swelling when he overdoes it, and still had pain in the 1 and 2s. If you are doing stuff that causes pain that isn't good, discomfort is okay, pain is not. If your body needs sleep, then sleep. Hubby naps all the time. He didn't concentrate on exercise all the time, just foot pumps to prevent clots, knee presses and some bending exercises, plus about 7 steps he has to walk up and down several times a day. With PT 3 days a week he doesn't do much else on those days. I get the feeling that you are doing too much, your body can't heal without rest. You are way to rough on yourself.
 
Not ready for rock climbing yet, but showering is getting easier. I've at least gotten to the point where showering isn't the only thing I can manage in one day And I can do it without help now! Ahh, to be able to appreciate the little things...
 
I think you're in the dog days of recovery right now. You've improved a bit, but not enough to see the end of the tunnel. In a few weeks it will be easier to see the light. :)
 
@Dosbichons
My son has lived and worked for 4.5 years in NYC on Madison Ave and lives in Brooklyn, have visited him a few times and know what you mean about walking outside. In fact, his company is opening a Dublin office as their European headquarters and he is being transferred back home.

Had a friend drop in this afternoon, she had her TKR in early January 2014 and she said it wasn't until month 6/7 that she felt she was nearly there. Her OS told her to expect 12months until she is fully recovered. Now she did go back to work at 5 months & started playing 9-15 holes of golf at 6 months.

She emphasised that the recovery is like none she gad ever known from any previous surgery, but in spite of all, she is so pleased that she had her TKR !

She gave me a good feeling and great to speak with her.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hon, you are still so very early in your recovery. Please don't feel like you should be doing more and/or feeling more like normal. You're doing just FINE!!! But......I think you should ease back on your daily schedule. Who told you not to spend time resting and napping each day??? Certainly you didn't get that here because we would tell you that you most certainly need to be resting/icing/elevating your knee a good part of the day and night!

Yes, you need to do some gentle bending and stretching several times each day. And you need periods of sitting up as well as lying down. Plus you need the exercise of walking around your home to the various rooms to eat, use the bathroom and nap. But your whole day should NOT be exercise and pill takiing!

So please go a little easier on yourself. I think you'll feel better when you start allowing yourself to get the rest you need to recover.
 
Well gang....thank you again for your response to my moaning, whining and stress. I read and re-read all the responses and feel much better knowing (need to have things pounded into this brain) how really slow the process can be/is, to appreciate what I have accomplished. LOL, I copied some of your postings re: managing the pain, where I am I recovery, being too hard on myself, PT protocol and showed it to the therapist : ) and the protocol changed..LOL, lessening the number of times to do each one of the exercises... but the best was... we went for a walk to a coffee shop/restaurant.. yes I'm still wobbly, but we made it back and forth, and I now know I can get to breakfast if I can nag a neighbor to help me.. LOL
You can tell by the pix, that's Maxie (he passed, love of my life) I'm a dog person (I also sell dog clothing and accessories, on hold for a few weeks) but as I finally got outside in the neighborhood, I bumped into other dog owners/dogs - here in the city, one gets to know other dog people cause generally the walks are around the same time... It was great seeing the dogs/owners... BUT as per PT trainer, "less socializing, need to concentrate on walking".. if chatting. .not while walking, stop/rest and get my balance. so yesterday was a good day...& yes as soon as I can really walk, I've got my eyes on 2 lil dogs.. if you love/live with a dog/hard to live without one..they bring such love.
take care everyone, just did a abbreviated PT exercise, icing and guess what.. gonna rest a bit
Linda
 
You sound so much better Linda. Glad to see your physical and mental improvement! I am also a cat/dog lover. We lost our MinPin Stella in May and several years earlier my beloved chow mix Rascal. I am hoping after my left tkr recovery to be able to get a dog(s).

Take care and keep up the great progress! You have got this!
 
@Dosbichons You sound a lot more positive - very glad of that, keep the chin up! You are early in your recovery, be kind to yourself and your knee! Have a great day!

@Jozilla Good morning! You have a great day too!
 
:hi: Hi @Dosbichons
Hi Linda, you sound in very good spirits in today's post. Just as it is good to share our good times/days :yay:
It is also good to know that this is also the place to share the not so good and dark day moments too:groan:

Take it one day- a bit of a slowly, slowly approach and we will all get there in our own way and in our own time .

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom