TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the helpful info, Josephine. Have done nothing all evening except ice, elevate and whinge ! Am planning on more of the same tomorrow - perhaps with a little less whinging?
Taken codydramol and am just settling down for the night.
Interestingly just popped to the loo and still have the raised seat in my en suite (need a new ordinary seat and haven't yet replaced - I'm glad to say!) I now have to keep my leg out almost straight cos I can't bend it - but when I sat down the back of my leg from knee upwards really hurt where it was pressing on the seat - so much so I had to shift my weight to the other side. I'm thinking this may have something to do with things?
Will keep everyone posted -
knee-cation here I come!
 
Hi all - just thought I would check in. You were all so wonderful yesterday evening.
Well sadly it hasn't miraculously got better overnight. I had hoped that I could lay on my side in bed keeping leg straight as I did when it was bad pre op. NO! I tried that as soon as I got to bed and to attempt to lay with operated leg on top of good leg - which is my preferred sleeping position from pre/op to post surgery was totally excruciating .. The other side wasn't as awful but none too pleasant. So back to the old laying on back routine. This wasn't particularly good but a pillow under my leg did the trick. I have slept without pain but woken far more frequently, but dropped back off to sleep without probs. Got out of bed in night with no probs weight bearing and can lift leg into bed with no probs.either. But as I walked back from bathroom I bent my leg a little walking and Ouch!!
I have pushed and prodded all over my leg and nothing hurts or feels any different. It is not anymore swollen or warm than usual.
I intend just resting elevating and icing today. Think I may ring OS office first thing as I know it is his consultation day so he will be around and I get on well with his secretary who is a lovely person. This is what I would have done if I did not have this site to get info from. He will prob say go to physio and they will advise but at least I have covered all bases.
Many thanks @chestnc for your message about how strong these joints are. I really needed to read that.
Talk later all
Chrisx
 
Hi @dogwheels. I am so sorry you're still not right. Just take it easy and rest. That's all that matters, that will get you well ready for your red carpet. Make that your goal to not be too adventurous when it feels a bit better x x x good idea to ring OS definitely. Post you later thinking of you love Ann x x x
 
Yes great idea to call OS. We are all thinking of you. Keep us updated and hope you get some relief soon! Xoxoxo
 
I am glad you are going to call your OS! I do hope you feel relief soon!
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 and @Ellejay
Thank you for thinking of me.
If it wasn't for still being unable to bend my knee, I would be great. I'm a bit stiff again from being stuck in bed/sleeping on my back - but I can walk about easily and everything that doesn't involve bending my knee is fine - I am just frustrated.
I think it is bending a tiny fraction more, but it's hard to tell. It's tempting to keep testing it but I have restrained myself. I gently tried it once this morning and it still hurts too much to bend. The pain is in the area right behind my knee and up the back and side of my thigh.
I had a quick reply from my OS's sec first thing - she said she will have a word with him and try to ring back later. I'll feel a lot happier once I know what's going on and what I should and should not do. Not sure yet if I should go to physio - but figure she may do some ultrasound or massage that may help. I'll wait to hear from OS and act accordingly.

Hope you both slept well and enjoy whatever you have planned for today. I will update as soon as I know what is going on. Keep you fingers X'd for me.
X
 
Hi @dogwheels. Im so glad the majority of your movement is ok. I hope the consultant gets back to you within a decent timescale. I so feel for you because I'm under no illusion that you feel like the rugs been pulled from under you. Just remember this is a temporary glitch that is fixable. All your other movements seem to be okay which is a real positive x x x

If you don't mind, would you please let me know how you get on please? Thanks ever so much. Thinking of you. Love Ann x x x
 
Hi Ann - still waiting for a call back. Will give it until midday and then chase. Tried to ring physio department but they are on answer machine too. Fume!
Will certainly let you know as soon as I have some news/answers.
I'm focussing on all the positives and trying not to make a fuss, it's just that losing the bend completely is so ***** drastic!
Talk soon
Chris xxxxx
 
Hello again Ann. Sorry that you are not feeling too great today. Try and get some rest - you really went for it over the weekend. Hopefully it was worth it though.
I've heard nothing from OS and when I tried to ring lines are all engaged. My physio has phoned me though and has suggested I go in as planned @3pm for her to assess what's what. She has suggested a nick in hamstring - but we'll see later this pm. If she is concerned she will arrange for OS to see me. She's one of the 2 Senior physio's there and she may be tough but I trust her. Also she will be able to answer my questions about treatment, movement and exercise. At present I am resting on bed all I can as I don't know if moving about is good or will aggravate things.
I'll post again once I have more info. Hope you are feeling a bit better and have a nice restful afternoon.
Chrisx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 @DogLoverx3 @Karringtyn @yiayia3 @Ellejay @Jozilla and all who have sympathised with my current predicament.
Not too much to report really:sad: Have heard nothing at all from OS or his secretary, going to drop them an email in a minute. I am glad I had that PT session booked! Physio gave my knee a very thorough assessment, and on the basis of that, bits that hurt a lot when bending were not the bits I thought were hurting when bending :what: However she did concede that if you are trying to assess pain yourself it is very difficult, as you draw back before you can properly register it.

Long story short, my hamstrings are a bit tight and painful, but what she thinks - and only thinks, is the real problem is some sort of soft tissue injury to the outer part of my knee - despite it not being bruised, hot or painful to touch. She is confused how it could have happened but thinks that possibly something has got pinched or torn? She doesn't think the sudden onset of exercise would cause that, or otherwise it would be a common occurrence.
As I am weight bearing and not in pain, she thinks that the joint itself is probably OK - and said that usually only severe trauma such as falls cause damage to the joint.
My session was spent with her seeing exactly how far I could bend in various situations (seated; heel slide; hamstring curl) - some positions were better than others. Pitiful bend, but better than yesterday and at least it was in double figures and it did bend! She poked, pushed, prodded and palpated - and then massaged. A variety of bits hurt .. ouch!
I am to continue the basic bending exercises, just going as far as I can x 10 and only doing one sort at each session during the day. She doesn't want to aggravate things, but wants to keep things moving within the parameters of what I am able to do without pain. No strengthening exercises but I can continue to walk about unaided and stand - but only for short periods. I'm having a hydro session as the warmth may help (fully booked so cant get one til Saturday - Boo!), then she will re-assess on Monday. If no improvement in pain/movement - I have to see OS (I so hope not!)

To add insult to injury, she told me that she had just received a glowing report from the OS following my 6week check up last week. So much can happen in just a few days!

Please keep everything X'd that things will gradually improve this week.
Thanks again for all your concern and good wishes.
Talk soon
ChrisX
 
Hi Chris! Sounds like you have a pretty awesome PT! I like your plan of action (or plan of minimal action, rather). I bet she is right about the soft tissue thing and that things will gradually improve. Do not get discouraged Chris, this is a temporary set-back! I promise! I bet you will feel much better by the time your hydro session on Saturday rolls around and you'll be able to better 'test' your knee in the water. Listen to your PT my friend and don't push things or try to 'fix it' too hard! I have everything crossed for you! Well, everything aside from my eyes 'cause my mom told me never to do that as they could get stuck that way. :heehee: xoxoxxo
 
Hello Chris,
Thank you for letting us all know, I'm sure we were all eagerly awaiting news from you, hoping for good news. I'm not sure it's good news, but it's certainly not bad! Your PT sounds excellent, and very understanding. I'm sure a hydro session will be beneficial. I really loved my first one last week. Keep resting and let us know how you are getting on, hope all is back to normal very soon.xx Lyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thanks for letting us know @dogwheels. I think the PT is right about soft tissue injury. I glad though that she is a caring and sensible one. I'm going to try to see my GP tomorrow. I need him to check my knee over. It so hot. It's swollen and very stiff. My chest is bad too again. I've only been off the steroids four days it's ridiculous.

I have to say the hydrotherapy sounds so lovely I can almost feel it! Ooh lovely warm water enveloping you. Mmm comforting. I think you can tell I'm missing my bath!!!!

Please take care hope to hear from you soon

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom