TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some advice needed please ......
Today has been fine. Pottered about - nothing out of the ordinary, a typical day.
Just been laying on the bed dealing with some emails before I do my exercises. Started heel slides quickly - but didn't even get the knee bent fully on the first one, as it really hurt. Went to try again and it hurts to bend my knee even slightly. Whacked on some ice and elevated it - but still cannot bend it. I can put weight on it to walk without any problem, but just cannot bend it. I am in no pain at all, unless I try to bend my knee. When I do that the pain is behind my knee, radiating up the outside of my calf. When I stop trying to bend, it doesn't hurt.
Being logical all I can assume is that I have either torn a bit of scar tissue or pulled a muscle.
Any ideas what I should do? Rest? Keep trying to bend it gently?
All suggestions gratefully received.
X
 
Hello @Josephine - sorry to tag and therefore bother you about this problem that I posted a short time ago, but husband and daughter are worried and I am finding this a little unnerving. Can you shed any light and/or suggest what I should do?
I have PT on Monday afternoon, so I know that I will see someone fairly soon if things have not improved by then (although I sincerely hope they will).
 
I agree with NanaMoon27. I think your logic sounds right though. Keep icing and elevating and tag Josephine.
 
Thanks @Jozilla and @Nana moon 27 - have tagged Josephine as suggested. Thanks for replying it is really a bit unnerving - I have just had to go to the bathroom and sit with my leg out straight. I haven't had to do that for weeks now!:sad:
 
I'm sorry @dogwheels , although easier said than done, try not to worry too much. I'm sure it's just a little strain or tendinitis of something or other. I would just keep with the icing and elevating but do not keep trying to bend it as that will just aggravate whatever it is that's going on.

I found out yesterday that the pain I've been having below my kneecap and off to the side is patellar tendinitis. How did I get it, you ask? Well that would be by walking my PTs guess. Because my extension is not at zero, I'm putting strain on it. boo. I'm sure Josephine will be by soon enough to offer some advice (if you want to get a jump on things, you should track down one of her handy dandy leg graph chart thingies (sorry for the technical terms) so you can tell her exactly where it hurts when you try to bend. xoxox
 
Hello @Josephine - sorry to tag and therefore bother you about this problem
You are perfectly right to tag me. My notice is to those who are in the habit of making my name a tag when it's just being mentioned in the course of conversation. Okay?
Started heel slides quickly - but didn't even get the knee bent fully on the first one, as it really hurt. Being logical all I can assume is that I have either torn a bit of scar tissue or pulled a muscle.
Are you saying that before this you could do heel slides okay? That it's because you 'started quickly' that the pain occurred? You weren't quite clear on that.

Assuming this to be the case then yes, I would agree you have strained or even torn a bit of muscle somewhere and need to let it rest with plenty of meds and ice until it settles down. I wouldn't even go to PT if I were you as they are all about the bend! Take a knee-cation of at least a couple of weeks. It won't hurt your recovery a bit. You're only 7 weeks out. There will be plenty of opportunity to make up the difference.
 
Thanks @DogLoverx3 - I am trying hard to be sensible and logical and not worry - but easier said than done!
I'm sitting upstairs here like a 'Billy No Mates' as it is the most comfortable place to elevate and feel sorry for myself. I am not good company at the moment. Have tried to read a book to take my mind off things, but that's not working. I am not attempting to bend my knee, although the temptation is really great to keep trying it. I figure when I need to get up again I will see what its doing then.
I am determined to hold it together - I haven't cried once throughout the whole tkr and recovery, and I refuse to let this get to me now. But being unable to bend the wretched thing just so disappointing and discouraging.
Thankfully it only hurts when I try and bend it, I'd be really worried if I was in constant pain. At PT on Thursday she said that behind my knee is still black and bruised - wondered if perhaps that has something to do with it. She worked it hard, but I had a lazy day yesterday. Ho hum - we shall see. Patience is a virtue, but not one that I possess. Josephine has just posted so will see what she has to say.
X
 
I know it's hard not to worry or panic or think you're straight back to square one. You're not. You do need to let your knee rest. Although it doesn't make sense to those of us that think we can 'manage' everything, our silly knees don't apply. Do you ice the back of your knee sweetie? That will help with the bruising and it also feels awesome!

I can't believe you didn't cry! Ever! Oh heck, I cried enough for the both of us. Actually, I probably cried enough for an entire city block full of people.... ;-) You will NOT slide backwards by taking a few days off. You've been out and about doing a lot and it's possible that things just caught up with you. :sad: I hope your knee is feeling tip top again very very soon. ((hugs))
 
Oh @dogwheels, that sounds really painful, what a horrid thing to happen when you were doing so well. I do hope it gets sorted quickly, so that you can still walk up that red carpet very soon. xx
 
I would diffenetlly take it very easy for a couple of days. When my bend tightens up it usually from resting too long in one spot . I love to go to the bottom of my stairs, put my foot up on a stair and gently bend back and forth, nice and slow. I doubt you did damage to anything ! You had good flexion before , so to me I think you may have overdid it . OPT are not always the most sensitive or compassionate of people, but I would ask them after this weekend . Best of luck !
 
Oh @dogwheels, I know this is hard but please try and see this as a temporary glitch. If you rest and do as you should you'll still be able to go away. It when you do daft things like me things go horribly wrong. You are sensible and have a logical mind over matter approach. Try not to let it get to you. You have done fantastically well up to now. You'll be fine again honestly as long as you take Josephine's advice x x x x sense ding a big hug down to you to comfort you x x x
 
Hello @Josephine - many thanks for your reply. Yes, I can do the heel slides without any problem and usually start doing a round of exercises with 10 or so of those to get 'warmed up'. I had been sitting up with my legs straight out on the bed - went to slide the leg up and ouch! I am not certain if I started quicker than I usually do, but I certainly brought my knee up quickly. The pain on bending is behind my knee. I know the area is still black and bruised as my physio told me so on Thursday, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. She worked me hard with her usual 'curl, push against resistance, push forward', to increase hamstring curls, and put seat even further forward on bike. This time she also massaged my knee cap and other areas quite firmly. But I am walking well without assistance, no probs with extension or strength, going up and down stairs slowly, but normally.

I am now icing alternately behind my knee and in front, and am elevating with small rests in between. I am not taking any meds now, other than Co-dydramol occasionally, before I go to bed. I will take a dose tonight. I am not in pain, unless I try to bend.

I will probably go to physio on Monday, as I am unable to give 24hrs notice of cancellation. Thankfully as I saw my OS at the beginning of the week and he was delighted with my progress, I hope that the pressure will be off and she will be helpful. If not I will walk out!

Many thanks for your help. Really frustrated to be back to square one, when I was just beginning to get back to normal. I'll take things easy and let you know how things go.

ChrisX
 
Hello all my lovely friends @DogLoverx3 @Nana moon 27 @Ellejay; @Jozilla @icep707 and of course Josephine.
Thank you all for your kind words and advice - it means so much to have support when you feel as though the chair has just been pulled away from you.
Well I will be taking it easy, and resting, and hopefully that will result in things returning to normal.
I am just thankful that this happened this weekend, and not last weekend when I was about to have my 6 week check with the OS.
Will keep you all posted as things improve - as I know they will do. Patience ........
Thanks again.
ChrisX
 
@dogwheels sorry to hear about your knee just rest and ice, I had a couple of days a few weeks back and it really hurt to walk but after resting up for a few days it was back to normal, I'm sure you will be walking up that red carpet next week, take care thinking of you Terri x
 
Hi @dogwheels. You have so many friends and so much support off us all. You have been so kind to us all in different ways. The least we can do is try and help you a bit even if it is just a few encouraging words or being there if you're awake In the early hours. Please try and rest. It will help knowing that you are not alone and we are all thinking of you. I hope you can sleep tonight. Love Ann x x x
 
Thank you Terri for the kind and reassuring words. Have just said to my daughter, I will have to live with a stiff / straight knee for a while ...... nothing new there, I just thought that was all over now!
If theres just a tiny bit of improvement tomorrow I'll be happy, as I can see that it is on the mend. I will then be happy to do nothing and let it do its thing. Just need a bit of encouraging evidence to settle my mind.
Will keep you posted
Chrisx
 
Thanks Ann - you are all so lovely and kind and I am really grateful to have such super friends. I was only thinking earlier how worried I would have been if it wasn't for this site. I would have been surfing the internet like crazy and having to be strong for myself as my husband doesn't really 'do' illness!
Not only have I had some advice from a trusted person but heaps of kindness and support from you all.
Hopefully I won't sleep too badly and will let you know how things are in the morning.
Xxxxxxx
 
You know where I am if you need me. I cat nap so Im often lurking around the site x x x x
 
I know the area is still black and bruised as my physio told me so on Thursday, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Bruised areas are certainly more vulnerable to these mini-traumas than usual. I still recommend a knee-cation!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom