TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @Cutter's Mom - I'm so sorry to hear that things have been a bit under par for you - and I am right with you there, my friend. Thankfully I am now starting to hold on to most of what I eat for long enough to get some benefit from it - however, my tummy is not going down without a fight and continues to protest:sick:. I think we should have got together - your problem and my problem would be a problem solved!
My bend was pitiful at my first physio session today - and my knee is very swollen both behind the joint and at the front which is a large part of the problem. But on the bright side my lifting is good, I can get the knee back (extended)well and something good about the kneecap being mobile?? She massaged the muscle - I'm not very knowledgeable and assume it is part of the quads - and it felt so bad yet felt so good, I didn't want her to stop. She did though and gave me some more exercises - boo!
I am managing OK on what we call paracetamol/your Tylenol and am quite thankful not to have to put any further tablets into my poor sore tum. I just seem to strike a spot just after midnight when I think owww.... and then I go back to sleep and it is ok.
It must be lovely having your doggies with you - lovely trusting doggy faces. I don't think it would be fair to have pets with our life style - but something to stroke would be nice, I think. My daughter is going to bring her pet rats over soon - most people go 'Yuk' but we love them. They are so old and soppy now they are real lap rats and just sit there, lapping up all the attention.
Well my phone has just binged to tell me its time for tablets and to do some darts practice on my stomach.
Hope today has been better for you, and I'll be in tough again soon.

ChrisX
 
Well done you are doing so well. Shame about your multi coloured stomach. I was given tablets so didn't inject. Did you have it done at Parkside by Fairbanks. A friend of mine had the same surgeon and hospital about 2 months ago.

Continue to do well... Best wishes
Hi - and thanks for your message. Yes my purple tummy is a thing to behold! Just 5 more to go I think. Yup - I was done at Parkside by Adrian Fairbank - lovely man, and has done previous knee work for me. How's your smashing doggy? Looking after Mum I hope! More importantly, how is your knee coming on ....?
ChrisX
 
Hi Chris, your PT sounded uncomfortable, hopefully it will be worth it. Well done for being teachers pet, you are obviously doing something right:yay:. Where do you go for the hydrotherapy? Is that private? I have investigated a local hydrotherapy provider and there is one not too far from me in Welwyn Garden City, would you recommend hydro, what sort of thing do you do? I am only entitled to the four group PT sessions, they are held at the North Middlesex Hospital. I live near to Hatfield, so it is a bit of a way for me to go! I don't know why I've been sent there, it's not where I had the operation. Where are you in London? I was brought up in Whetstone-Barnet.
 
Hi @Ellejay - had a bit of a lay down and lots of ice - feel a bit more human now!
I'm originally from Essex but moved to SWLondon shortly after we got married, and have lived in various places in Surrey. Currently we are in Surbiton (home of the 'Good Life') which is sort of between Kingston on Thames and Hampton Court. Everyone thinks Suburb-iton is a bit of a joke place - but it is actually very nice, and we've been here 15 years+.
I went privately for my TKR and so everything is either covered or down to me to pay for. I'm chomping my way through my outpatient physio allowance - but I want to get this right, so will pay for extra sessions myself if necessary. I have my hydro at Parkside Hospital Wimbledon, where I had the surgery. The hospital specialises in orthopaedic surgery and Wimbledon Clinics, which specialises in sports injuries and orthopaedics (where I have my physio), is attached to the hospital - so they have lots of facilities on site. They really encourage hydro, especially in the early stages.
I had hydro on 2nd, 3rd and 4th day post-op - and have since had 2 o/p sessions, with 2 more this week. I think the thing with hydro is that you can do so much more in the water than land-based physio, because of the buoyancy element. Your limbs have a degree of weightlessness, so you're not lifting - only moving. Also the water acts as compression which is good for the joint. My knee was extremely swollen and while I was a bit useless on land, I could achieve so much more in the water. Every session starts with walking properly across the pool (and of course you don't need crutches in the water!); then walking backwards; squats; balancing on the operated leg; floating and doing 'bicycle movements'; straight leg kicking; weighting operated leg with a small ring and forcing down/back/ etc; lunges using the steps; high stepping bringing knees up ....... those are some of the exercises that I can remember.
As I said on here before, some places, once you have had a couple of sessions, offer 'DIY' and you can just use the facilities without physio supervision at a much cheaper rate. Perhaps they offer something similar at WGC? My PT suggested 2 hydro this week and then cut it down to just 1 p week, as hopefully by then the swelling will be much reduced and the knee more mobile.
Its a shame you have to go so far for your group sessions - its probably due to health authority boundaries or some such ...
Happy to let you know what my ordinary physio exercises are - although most are for bend at the moment as my knee is still swollen. They are nothing clever - in fact quite standard for post knee surgery.
Sorry to have written a novel - but hope it helps.
ChrisX
 
:thankyou:
I enjoyed the novel :), it was helpful. I was lucky enough to have the operation in a private hospital, but the NHS paid for it, so it won't seem so bad paying for some hydro. I did get some sessions in another private hospital after one of my arthroscopies, I might enquire about using their pool, or find out about this one in WGC, it's much more local. It's the warmth of the water that attracts me, I could go to the local swimming pool, but it's always so cold - and it will be full of children next week, it's half term.
Take care of yourself,
Lyn x
 
Hope you get things sorted out Lynn. I kid myself that the hydro pool is a spa - its so lovely and warm. Keep away from the public pools .... you never know whats in the water:eeeuw:.
Take care and talk again soon
ChrisX
 
Hi dogwheels, I've just been released after 4 days in SWLEOC Epsom. They don't let you go until you can do a stright leg lift whilst sitting and climb up/down a flight of stairs as well as have 90 rom. Even so its not easy for the first few days at home is it? I chose a GA and PCA but the pain before they loaded the pca was unbelievable again. It's the only thing they get wrong really. I had heard about the hydratherapy pool at Parkside and wondered if it was worth trying out as soon as I can drive there. Can you tell us all a bit more?
 
Hi @Smudge - heard all about SWLEOC Epsom ........ never seen so many Orthopods in one place! Yes, the discharge criteria is much the same at Parkside - and, groan, the first few days at home are a bit dire. I had no probs with the pain relief, had a GA and spinal thingy for the surgery and didn't need the PCA. Day 3 I was just on paracetamol, which is all I have taken since, plus the blood thinning injections (thankfully finished now).
Not really much that I can add about the pool at Parkside, other than that in my earlier post to Ellejay. If you are interested you need to ring Wimbledon Clinics to inquire and book. Cant tell you how much it costs, because I am still covered by my insurance at present. I know they don't have that many slots available as all morning is given over to inpatient hydro. Afternoon is outpatients and the pool closes at 4pm. Loads of parking on site. That's the best I can do I'm afraid.
Hope it helps and that your knee progresses well.
 
Hello my Essex mate how's things going.
The weather is really bad I'm glad I'm in bed!!! How are you?
 
Hey Dogwheels. It great to hear you are moving right along. Be patient. Sorry to hear about the multi color tummy. Im on Xarelto which is a pill. Everything so far has been way better than I had thought. I guess we fear the unknown. Just be patient and things will fall into place. Best of luck and God bless.
 
Hi @Foxmyster1967 and @icep707 - hope you two are elevating, icing and chillaxing.
The weather is SO bad and SO wet - I have been unable to waddle up the road on my crutches for fear of getting blown over and the garden is a no-no as it resembles a swamp!
All is good here. My hydro was cancelled today as the physio has the dreaded flu virus - so I have done a little bit more physio on my own, but one of the exercises is not nice! The rest of the time I have played games on my iphone and watched rubbish TV.
Two weeks now and I have to say I feel so much more like my old self and much more human. It helps that my stomach is almost behaving now. I feel for you and your current err hmm digestive problem Iceman, they overdosed me on laxatives and I couldn't stop going for 10 days. Made me feel like ....... well I think you can guess! As I am only on paracetamol (Tylenol) and have been since Day 3, at least I 'm not getting 'bunged up' as well as all the other knee-shaped stuff.
Your knee sounds like mine Foxy, swelling up and then losing the degree of bend, don't worry, as soon as that swelling starts to subside, things will improve and you will make up the ground that you think is currently lost.
I was supposed to get the steristrips and waterproof dressing off today at hydro, but now have to wait until Friday. I rang to check and they said that I could take it off myself if I was desperate. I am not that desperate! Although not at all squeamish, I decided I could wait 48hrs and then they can do it and check the wound for me.
I'm getting around the place fine, in and out of bed with ease - but am still really tired. A shower, hairwash and blow dry and I have to have another lay down!
Thankfully the blood thinning injections stopped several days ago - I now have a big sharps box of used needles to take to my local health centre. The Health Centre share the site with a drug rehab unit, so I hope no one gets the wrong idea when I front up with a box of used syringes!

Take care both of you. Chins up, we are doing well and have everything to look forward to.

Keep in touch

Love ChrisX
 
........ A shower, hairwash and blow dry and I have to have another lay down!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I could have written that myself! In fact I DO have a lie down when I've done all that.
 
Hi been reading this thread. Glad to hear you are all doing well. The tiredness after a small amount of effort is normal.

I go to a hydro pool at morden called aqua physio. I have been twice and have 1 to 1 physiotherapist there. It is helpful and is about £65 per session which is half an hour.

Best wishes
 
Hi @dogwheels, I am so sorry to hear your sad news about your daughters pet. It is truly awful trying to comfort a distraught daughter, we would do anything to take away their distress and to make them happy again, but there is nothing we can do other than be there for them and supply the shoulder to cry on and the hugs. Even though some pets are small they still mean so much, my daughter has two house rabbits, and they are like her family.
I do hope that the sadness doesn't affect her for too long and she gets back to normal soon, but I know it will be a while yet. Thinking of you x Lyn
 
Glad that the knee is doing great. Sorry to hear about the stomach. Try to keep something in your stomach and do see someone. Its been a while and I would think it would calm down by now. I always have oatmeal around to fill that stomach every time I take medicane or Apple sauce. How are your nerves? Sometimes the stomach will reacted that way when you have been stressed for a while. I cope with it on once in a while. Keeping calm helps me. I have heard that getting a mirgane is a side effect of the block. Not saying it is but have heard of it causing a ruff headache. Keep us informed on how you are doing. Remember go slow, and ice, rest, elevate, and pain pills if needed. Just a thought, sometimes pain can do that to your stomach, are you sure you are not taking enough for the pain? Just a thought, Take care, Tashia
 
Hi @tashia - thank you for your concern and wise words. Bland food and little and often seem to be doing the trick and although my stomach is not 100% it is not causing me too many problems now. I do have quite a sensitive stomach which doesn't help and you are absolutely right about the stomach reacting to stress. As for the meds, paracetamol (Tylenol) was OK for me - however as I am using and working the knee more I have continued the Tylenol during the day, but am swapping it with a Co-dydramol at night for a bit more pain relief.
I think the migraine may well have been as a result of the spinal as it was like a migraine .... but not quite.
Thankfully I am feeling much more 'normal' now.
Not too long and you will have your new hip Tashia. Take great care of yourself in the days leading up to the op.
I'll be thinking of you.
 
Thank you Bentleys Slave for the Morden physio link - its really close! As its my left leg that was 'done' I can drive a few miles to get there.

I'm off there as soon as the dressings/clips are out - this Wednesday, brilliant news thanks once again.

Ann
 
I am totally 'cream-crackered' after physio - but quite proud of today's achievements:
  • got a half decent sleep last night
  • scored a pristine new pair of TEDs from the hospital, as one pair of mine are beyond gross
  • achieved over the target ROM that PT set last week.
  • officially down to one crutch - yay!
  • managed about 10 full rotations on the recumbent bike (admittedly seat was well back for the stretch factor)
  • celebrated by lunch at a riverside (very high water!) pub/restaurant with hubby on the way back from physio.
Am now in bed - leg feels a bit mushy - and I am pooped - but a result!

Bit of paperwork to do now from my cosy nest and then a few zzzzzzzz's I think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom