TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Szia Chris (hello in Hungarian)

Good to see that you and your husband are enjoying Budapest and your photos are great.
We were there in January and crossing Charles Bridge was a very cold experience.

Enjoy your time there and good to hear that your knee is also enjoying the hills of Budapest.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Oh Chris I'm not getting your alerts, so I thought I'd nip across to see if there was anything here. Oh I was well rewarded. Those pics are wonderful. Your iPhones served you well xxxx I'm so glad you're having a lovely time xxx The food and wine sounds lovely to me xxx
Thanks for sending me that lovely pic, I so appreciate it. I'm missing you Chris xxxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Lovely photos and pleased you're enjoying being in the city. We're going for the 4th time in November, I've booked for the opera today.
Sue. :)
 
@dogwheels, that's fantastic news about your knee behaving so well, I'm so pleased for you. I hope it continues to do so and you enjoy the rest of your stay.
I've managed a short walk this afternoon, between the showers the weather has been lovely, and I just wanted to get out in the fresh air. I had to strap my knee up and take anti inflammatories before and paracetamol afterwards, but I did enjoy getting out.
 
@dogwheels - excellent news that the knee is behaving...sorry about the Achilles, always something, isn't it? Still, you can DO this when this time last year you could not. Score! Love the photos - and how is this for timing? I have a girlfriend who is also there right now - she's a psychologist doing a lecture in Prague at some point so there touring beforehand. Fun!
 
Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Glad youre having s wonderful time. Take Care ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Chris. The photos are beautiful. How long and why are you there?? How's your knee holding up. Looks very hilly to me. Hope all is good. Sorry that I have been so laxed on site just so tired
Plus my drs PA refuses to refill my pain meds. Let's see her run up and down steps after kids. Going straight to surgeon to rectify this. I guess I have Actually turned into a druggie begging for more, but my knee hurts by the end of the day!!
Love to everyone. Susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @dogwheels, hope you are doing well and enjoying your travels. The photos are beautiful. More More, please. Hope knee continues to feel well and continue to enjoy. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Christine @chestnc

It 6:14 am in Dublin -why are you awake ?

I hope that it isn't pain that is keeping you from sleep :chillpill:

Cathie x
 
Hi @mamora Cathie, you are too funny. :loll:You are so right about the sleeping. I actually went to sleep on my computer too early and then woke up somewhat awake at 12mn. That happens sometimes. I then go back to sleep after shutting down computers and that's it for the night. I also did not have to get up super early as I had the cardiologist this am before work. He was okay with my B/P being 130's /80's and the headaches have resolved. So my F/U will be Jan. 7, in the new year. I do feel better. It has been busy at work and knee is tired. after 7.5 hours so I come home and elevate, bath, and bed. Hope you and everyone else are getting along okay. Will need to stop by a few other threads. This morning I felt it was so good to know that it is Friday and I am off the weekend. Hope everyone has a good evening and a blessed day. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hello everyone - I am back in a very chilly UK. Our last couple of days in Budapest were a very welcome 24 degrees - lovely! I didn't expect to come back with a little bit of colour, but I have managed to - bonus! But I also have managed to come back with a cold. Urrgh - it struck on our last day, but didn't stop me doing anything - despite feeling rather hot and having a sore throat.
Our journey back was delayed both before getting on the plane and before landing due to storms at Gatwick. A bit bumpy but nothing dire. However, the gate wasn't open and lit so we then had to wait on the runway, the baggage was late and all the communications were wrong, so our poor taxi driver (who was the image of an Indian Mr Bean, complete with tweed jacket) was most surprised when we approached him as our flight was still showing as 'expected'.
We had a super time, the weather was lovely and best of all, I felt normal. I only once noticed that I was not walking very well and limping a little and that was on our last night and we had been walking all day and evening and by then I was so tired. I have climbed up the stairs onto trams, done so many flights of stairs at museums etc, negotiated cobbled streets ... and walked miles, plus I have slept SO well, probably due to all the exercise!
My knee did not swell until yesterday after we had walked around a museum and then stood for ages waiting to board the plane - and then only a little. It feels a little bruised inside, but the next few days are already marked for rest and recovery. I am so chuffed at what I have been able to do.

@Dabber - hope you enjoy your trip in November. Lucky you having opera tickets! Are you expecting it to be snowy then? We thought it would be beautiful in the snow, but the slip hazard would worry me. Lovely place.

@Ellejay - glad you have been able to have a little walk.

@Nana moon 27 - I will chat later, once I have caught up on all the threads. Thank you for the welcome back X

LESSONS LEARNED:
  • Booking a plane seat with extra legroom was good
  • I didnt expect to set off alarms in security - evidently it is metal mass that does it, and will follow @Celle's advice and leave extra time in future.
  • Took some Co dydramol and a knee support just in case, but didn't need them - hurrah!
  • A hotel with a lift (or stairs with bannisters!) and a shower cubicle rather than a very high sided bath with over shower would be helpful next time ... but it was good exercise!
  • Took a small piece of 'Techi Ice' with me. Brilliant stuff - I have had mine for ages and it proved perfect for travelling and mess free icing. In the mini bar freezer by day - then on the knee before bed.
  • Biggest mistake - forgetting that despite the knee behaving well, all the other bits hadn't really been used for more than a year. Ergo, sore feet, blistered toes and a bad back!!

A few photos to come soon

XXXX
 
Oooh @dogwheels how lovely to read your post, I shan't get anything done today now thinking about Budapest. Where did you go, although we've been 3 times, I'm always ready to hear about places to visit....we've never been to the Parliament building for example? The transport is challenging isn't it, from very high steps onto buses to very fast elevators. Over 65s go free on public transport so for the first time we'll both be free!
I can tell you where we stay if you like, it's lovely and has a new tram stop outside, 100 year old pool in the basement etc.
Every time we go I hope and pray for NO SNOW! I won't go out in the snow, in fact we almost didn't manage it one year, Gatwick opened the morning we were due to fly out after being snowed up. Oddly you'd think the weather would be worse in Hungary, but as you've found it's usually slightly better. I've literally been in Paris in January and stayed in the hotel all the time because of snow.
I've booked with BA this time as they're generally good and I need to be as comfortable/germ free as possible as I have very low immunity, I've yet to book the extra travel insurance, I should bite the bullet as our annual doesn't cover my conditions. The original Hungarian airline was excellent but went bust sadly.
Right back to my OU now....Looking forward to the photos....
:spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..
[Bonesmart.org] Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

The right hand picture above is so poignant, I could hardly tear myself away from this spot. Lots and lots of brass models of pairs of shoes, mens, womens and childrens are on the banks of the river. They commemorate the many Jewish people who were rounded up by the Arrow Cross militia men in 1944/45, taken to the rivers edge and told to remove their shoes. They were then shot and fell into the river. So shockingly awful.
[Bonesmart.org] Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..



[Bonesmart.org] Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..
XXXX
 
Hi @Dabber - yes we were so lucky with the weather.
We stayed on Castle Hill in Buda (and yes I walked all the way down on the first day). We stayed in St George Residence, which is an amazing Suite only hotel. We had a vast suite with a lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Hubby thought it would be nicer for me if I ended up confined to barracks for a day. It was brilliant for everything 'up the hill' and the #16 bus did a circuit from Deak Ter, over the bridge, through the tunnel and right to the top, very near the hotel. The service was brilliant and one came along every 5 minutes.
We just did all the normal touristy things - the first day we walked down Castle Hill, across the chain bridge, walked down the river to Parliament (didn't go in) and then wandered through town to the Central Market Hall. Second day we did the Synagogue and Jewish Quarter, then walked the length of Andrassy Ave to the Park and looked round there. Third day was the National Art Gallery on Castle Hill, and around Castle Hill. Fourth day we walked to Margaret Island. We walked the length of it even though I was tempted by the little golf buggies for hire and even more so the electric scooters! We caught a public ferry back, then took the Funicular back up the hill. Took it back down in the evening and walked across the bridge to get lots of 'after dark' pictures - its so beautiful isn't it? Then our last day we went to the National Museum.
My PT advised me that just straight walking will always be easier than the stop-start of shopping etc, so we limited our museum visits to those mentioned, for that reason. I downloaded the walks from this site to supplement our guide book https://www.bigboytravel.com/europe/hungary/budapest/free-walking-tour
Really recommend Alabardos Restaurant - superb food, and 21 Restaurant is great too. Both are at the top of the Hill near the Fishermans Bastion.
I hope you have a lovely time and that the snow holds off. Just reading what you wrote about air travel and low immune system made me realise how difficult these things must be for you. When we were living in Abu Dhabi I used to come back every 6-8 weeks, and frequently would pick up a cold. Breathing other peoples recirculated air for 7 hours is not nice! I ended up squirting that Vicks First Defence up my nose each trip, which seemed to help.
Anyway - back to the washing - worst bit of any trip.

Take care XXX
 
Fabulous and love the hotel, will consider that another time. We go to the Corinthia and have an Executive room that gives you all day access to the executive lounge, oh I love Budapest. It is so full of history.
I shall wear a facemask on the plane, I've been so fortunate to not catch anything for 18 months or more but my luck will run out, a one degree rise in temp means hospital and IV antibiotics within an hour so I have to be very careful and I do carry antibiotics with me as well. My bloods have never dropped right down, touch wood.
I hope you feel better soon and thank you so much for all the information, marvellous, we haven't been to the restaurants, seen the shoes on the Danube Bank and I didn't know about the Vicks or the website.
Ugh, washing yes.
xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom