Guest viewing is limited

TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, they did remove the ability to edit a post from previous days. Boo. Shoot. You can either just delete the post I guess or tag a moderator and ask them to insert whichever word you choose. And really? 'That' word does refer to a tush (hope that one's okay) over here.... btw, I'm dying to know what combination of letters and ***s you used to get 'edited'. I've gotten words edited that I thought were completely innocent before and yes, sometimes the replacement word is worse than the original one. Again, demonstrating the different meanings for the same words in different cultures...
 
Btw, I blame the removal of the 'edit' and 'delete' (sorry, didn't realize that option was removed as well) on the crazy person who kept posting inflammatory things and then would go back and delete/change them after people (me) would respond. Thus making me (and others) look a bit batty. Like I need help in that department. ;-)
 
Arrgh! @DogLoverx3 - I think I will report myself and hope there's enough space to give a brief explanation. I'm curious, is 'that' word used for both men and women? Due to the UK interpretation, it is wholly, solely and utterly feminine! I know you lot tend to outnumber us Brits here, but I really don't want to be using female genitalia as an expletive .............. to anyone!

XX
 
So funny (not for you), but yes, in the US 'that' word refers to any gender's tushie. I had NO idea that it referred to 'lady parts' over the pond! No wonder you're offended.

I hope you don't get yourself kicked off of BS. ;-) I'm certain that won't happen. Odd thing is, it seems that most 'flags' are for words that offensive in the UK as some of the ones that I've gotten in trouble for are completely benign words in the US and are actually used as a 'better' reference than the 'real' word..
 
Well its done now Ellen - I've reported myself! Hopefully some kind and reasonable moderator will help me out of this predicament and set my mind at rest.

These word differences are usually quite fascinating - as they say 'two countries divided by a common language'.

Sure hope I don't get kicked off ........... I am usually very broad minded, but everyone has their own personal standards ...........

I am now drawing a line under the whole thing and will not comment further. Funny thing is, everyone reading this will be scrambling back over the posts to see what the words and the fuss was all about!

XX
 
Hahaha, that IS exactly what I did to begin with. Okay, change of subject.........what are you redecorating? I'm sure you've posted, but I'm too lazy to go back and find out for myself (so much easier to just ask and have you repeat yourself) ;-) I have MANY plans for my new tiny house. Trouble is, I'm not physically able to do them myself or financially able (right now, at least) to pay someone to do them for me. I used to have a VERY handy friend who could do just about anything, but he has fallen for a HUGELY insecure woman who doesn't like the mere thought of me (we've never met) and therefore, our friendship is now kaput. Boo. Aside from his handyman skills, he was a great guy at one time. Whoopsie, I digress .... this is about you!
 
Hi @hopefaith - lovely to see you drop by. As you may have gathered, life is not always fascinating and intriguing in the world of UK/US word interpretations .............
It is interesting though how spelling is different, and words have different meanings.

I hope that you are feeling a bit better today and that your visit from family went some way to help make your situation a bit better and more manageable.

My back is not too bad thank you. As I said earlier, my PT said it is just from walking and using the knee more and different muscles - plus, I am having to relearn to pick things up, and get down low, by bending my knees rather than bending from the waist. It will come in time.

Thanks for the kind comments about my daughters hearing. You may have seen on Nana moon's thread that my daughter is over the moon with her hearing aid. It is already making a huge difference to her daily life. She was keen to get a brightly coloured one and the audiologist was excited at the thought, as he said all he usually supplies is silver ones to blend in with the hair of his usual customers! Sense prevailed though and she has a sort of matte gold metallic that blends really well with her hair, (now it is no longer screaming red!) I posted a couple of pics on NM27's thread, you can hardly see it.

Well got to go. I'll pop by on your thread to see how you are doing tomorrow.

Love and hugs

XXXXX
 
@dogwheels, whatever the original word was that you used, it hadn't registered with me, but now reading the post again the 'f' word is definitely not you, and I'm surprised that it is allowed, I certainly wouldn't want to hear it at my dinner table (the basis on which my 3 brothers had to moderate their language when we were all growing up, according to my mother). You should be able to edit old posts, I did one of mine earlier today when I suddenly noticed a typo in it.
Talking if mothers - how is your poor mums leg ulcer, they can be so nasty and take ages to go away.
I suggest someone searches your daughter as she leaves the animal park for hideaway rats :heehee:. Enjoy your steak, my chicken is smelling beautiful, and we're having Yorkshire puddings even if it's not a roast beef dinner.
 
Sorry - you are correct, you can't edit anymore, but I did just that earlier today, how strange!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - really boring decorating I am afraid, which will be done by the 2 Albanians that did all our exterior work a few months ago. They look just like the 2 Super Mario Bros, which makes me laugh every time they turn up. Ensuite to Master bedroom; Downstairs Cloakroom (See - I am being really PC!); Husbands Study and Utility Room. Same colours as before - bit of new carpet to go in study as there is a big burn mark near one of the desks which miraculously appeared after I bought 'He who must be obeyed' a super duper contraption that splices and then heat seals rope .............. need I say more? Typically he denies it was him. No fun decorating, just a bit of a spruce up where it needs it.
Just got to email my holiday letting agent - a couple of 'helpful guests' have bemoaned the lack of full length mirrors in all 5 bedrooms and the fact that I have a half size table top ironing board and not a full size one. Grrrr - the house is primarily a very nice and well appointed crew house for sailors competing in regattas and I never have problems with them. It's just the ones that book it in the August holidays, cram in as many bodies as they can to make it cheap, and then moan ....

It may only be 5.30pm but I need a large glass of something cold, white and alcoholic!

XXX
 
Hi @Ellejay - thanks for your agreement and support. Mmmmmm chicken - enjoy!

Thanks for asking after Mum. The nurse came and dressed the ulcer (its quite small) over a week ago, and said she would be back to change the dressing and assess. Guess what? No sign of her to date and we cant chase due to the BH weekend. Typical.

Daughter was miffed she couldn't play with the ratties (just as well if they wanted to retain their full complement of livestock!) but managed to stroke a lemur plus horses, pygmy goats and bunnies.

Enjoy your evening

XXX
 
Help I found the edit/delete box but it only appears on today's posts not on earlier ones. What am I doing wrong?

@dogwheels Most forums have some type of time limit on the ability to edit a post. Some as short as 15 or 30 minutes. I don't know what that limit might be here on B.S.
 
Hi @Phil75070 - thanks for the editing info - you learn something everyday! Looks like the editing window may be 24 hours on here.
Have contacted the powers that be and peace, tranquillity and decency should prevail soon.

Enjoy the rest of your day
XX
 
Btw, I blame the removal of the 'edit' and 'delete' (sorry, didn't realize that option was removed as well) on the crazy person who kept posting inflammatory things and then would go back and delete/change them after people (me) would respond. Thus making me (and others) look a bit batty. Like I need help in that department. ;-)

Yes, that's exactly what happened - and, over time, she was not the only offender.

The ability to Edit/Delete your own posts is now limited to 48 hours after the post was made.
 
@dogwheels I was educated about that particular word on another board by a UK friend - most definitely not the same meaning, a child in the US would probably be taught to use that word in referring to one's back side rather than use another term. International incident worthy!

I finally purchased a pair of the FitFlops I've heard so much about and I have to say they are pretty ugly but my knee is happier than it has been in some time so apparently I need to see if there are some that are a bit less clunky looking. Did you get some, too?

@DogLoverx3 - sorry your handy man/friend is no longer able to help...that kind of thing always baffles me though...do you REALLY think a relationship based on one person both telling you what to do and not trusting you is going to work? I rather doubt it...
 
Hi @TexasTee - wish we could have a little bit of your Texas sunshine right now!

The 'word' matter is now closed - no further discussion, it has been handled swiftly and pleasantly. However, like @hopefaith , I find the whole word thing absolutely fascinating. Especially with the popularity of Brit films and programmes in USA and vice versa - some words are in common parlance but still have wildly different meanings:

[Bonesmart.org] Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..


Which brings me neatly onto the subject of Fitflops!

I have loads of pairs - and I agree, they are the ugliest things ever, but they are comfortable. The worst pair looks-wise I have are like a walking sandal with canvas straps - they are hideous, but were an absolute life saver while we tramped round Andalucía last year. I have several in the conventional style, despite my hatred of toe posts and they are clunky in the extreme. I have a pair like a leather tennis shoe, which look a tad geriatric but are really comfy under trousers and therefore, may make the cut to go with me on my trip to Budapest in October. I also have the 'Due' low front, low wedge ones that are quite presentable ballet flats and look relatively normal. Due to the tight muscle inside and behind my knee, PT has suggested I don't wear 'no back' style shoes for the moment as it will over work the calf and potentially cause me problems, so my Fitflop sandal stash is on hold till next summer.

It's the worse weather ever here today - I am currently varnishing all the latest decoupage bits I have done, so not only is it dark, cold and raining - my utility room is eye-wateringly stinky with varnish. I have done a large box with coloured 1940's illustrations - this alone is quite a feat as the printing then only usually had 1 fully coloured sheet per magazine, so therefore only 4 pages of colour. I am SO pleased with it - it is vintage in the extreme. I've also done 4 moneybox cubes with girls cartoons from an old 1970's annual - cheap and cheerful! I am trying hard to build up a collection of stuff to put on Etsy or Folksy or a craft fair stall in the run up to Christmas. It feels so cold here today - I am thinking of Christmas already!

Oh well, back to the varnishing. Take care and talk soon

XXOOXX
 
I would be more than happy to share some sun - I just walked about a bit outside at lunch and it's already 95 and headed up. I really would much rather this than cold and wet though so no complaints.

I have the sandal style with no back as I've not got the Achilles issue. My issue is that, like a dingbat, I bought a pair in royal blue...they look great (ok, they look reasonable and I work with engineers so it’s highly unlikely anyone has even noticed them!) with the dress I'm wearing just now but I can’t see them being viable with all that much. It will not be cold here for at least 2 or 3 months so I’ll need an additional pair or two – a black and a grey, maybe? They are kind of ridiculously expensive for what amounts to knock off version of a croc – though, having said that, I’ve never had any interest in crocs, maybe they are expensive as well? At any rate – they do help so I’ll just embrace the hideousness.

Varnishing indoors without the windows open sounds like a one way ticket to a massive headache – I hope your house is large enough to be able to escape the smell. Projects sound terrific – can’t wait to see them – hint, hint!
 
Fitflops = flipflops = thongs = jandals (NZ parlance). :heehee:
 
There's a thread somewhere in the Social Room about international word /expression differences. Kind of fun.
 
@Ceile
Glad you clarified that! Here I was, thinking you were all extolling the comfort of thong underwear. I've been in hospital too much this summer!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom