October Feisties - Are You Having Surgery In October 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neshym, so sorry about your cancellation! But at least you don't have long to wait. Take care!
 
Update from nannyles - she was at the hospital early today. Went through all the tests and saw tons of people. They gave her something to help her stay calm. As the porters were taking her to theatre the anaesthetist met her in the hallway informed her that her op was CANCELLED! :hate-shocked:All she knows is it has something to do with previous neck problems. I'll update if I learn more.

Hang in there nannyles!
 
Chin up Nannyles i know how you feel! hopefully we will both get sorted soon. Thanks everyone for your messages i did feel really down yesterday your encouragement means a lot! :thumb:
 
What a bummer Nannyles. I am so sorry that happened to you. Hang in there.
 
So sorry to hear of both the cancellations!!! I hope they can be reschedled quickly.
 
Sorry to hear about you too Neshym. I planned it so well too, house cleaned, a mini holiday with my daughter at a lovely hotel in Devon before op and arrived back yesterday all chilled and ready.

Got to hospital 6.45 this morning and the staff prepared me really well, they were brilliant. The anaesthetist said she wouldn’t do spinal or epidural as I had spinal surgery two years ago which left my back in a mess and still have tingling and numbness in legs and feet and we agreed on me having GA. I had been prepared – all tests, with sexy white stockings and black arrow tattooed on my hip and been given pre-med. I nearly made it to theatre, the porters were just wheeling me though the theatre door when we were stopped... apparently the anaesthetist was concerned as I had a neck scan three yrs ago which showed arthritis, she felt there was a risk that bending my neck to insert the breathing tube could end up with me being paralysed from neck down... I had to wait while she got the scan faxed through from the hospital that did it. Then she showed it to the neck surgeon who said I should have another scan to see if the arthritis has progressed, so I waited in bed all day to see if they could scan me today, but no luck. Now I have to wait for a new scan and then confirmation from the neck surgeon that it's okay to go ahead. If so I will be given a new op date, so here I am at home again and anxious as ever, wondering if I am even going to get hip op. To top it all I had my holiday all booked and paid for - 11 weeks today – if I have to wait too long for surgery and can’t travel I can either lose 2k, or go on holiday and postpone op until February – after holiday. Ho hum..... ARGH... :hairpulling:
 
Nannyles

I am sorry to hear of the cancellation particularly as you were practically on the operating table. It must be so dissapointing for you.

What I dont understand is if they thought the administering an anaesthetic may result in paralysis how on earth did
they let you out of the hospital to travel home!

I may have misunderstood but it sounds bizarre and totally unacceptable to me.

In any event my best wishes to you for a speedy resolution.
 
:hairpulling: Ye gads, Nannyles! This is totally appalling that you would get so far as to be on the trolley headed for the operating suite all medicated and everything - and NOW the anesthesiologist has concerns????? Where was this person during your whole pre-op run up of check ups and OS visits etc???? Didn't the OS ever question the back problems before - didn't he consult with the anesthesiologist or at least with some one from that department? If your surgery has to pushed up to where it jeopardizes your holiday I would (if I were you) request - no DEMAND - :hissyfit: that the OS and the anesthesiologist write letters for you to get your money back as it was THEIR lack of foresight and planning that caused you to miss out on your planned trip. Most companies will, I think, give refunds for medical issues. Hopefully it will not come to that -

I am so sorry you had this horribly disheartening experience! It's bad enough having to wait for surgery struggling with pain and immobility but to have this happen at the last possible moment ..... I think I would be screaming :friends:
 
Yikes, is October the month of cancellations? I have had THREE!

Nannyles, I can so relate to how you are feeling - hang in there... There is no rhyme or reason with the medical profession some times!
 
Where was this person during your whole pre-op run up of check ups and OS visits etc????

Good question. Why do we go through pre-op if it doesn't address these issues? :hissyfit:

If your surgery has to pushed up to where it jeopardizes your holiday I would (if I were you) request - no DEMAND - :hissyfit: that the OS and the anesthesiologist write letters for you to get your money back as it was THEIR lack of foresight and planning that caused you to miss out on your planned trip.

Great idea djklaugh! OR demand that they go ahead with the surgery immediately so you can go on that holiday. Sounds like a great way to recover!

Hang in there!
 
Wow three cancellations! Guess i'm lucky it only happened once. You must be really fed up. It's amazing, when I had the neck scan three years ago I was told it's one of those things that happen as you get older, given six physio sessions on NHS and then basically told to get on with it - good old UK eh? I reallly dont think there would have been a problem as i've two GAs since then. But I have to tell myself the anaeshetist only has my best interests at heart. I am sure once I get another scan they will go ahead and were just erring on the side of caution. Anyway I think I am at the best hospital in the UK Royal Nat Orthopaedic at Stanmore so i'm sure i'l be fine in the end. If I had been in the hospital where my back surgery was performed I would be more worried.
Thanks for everyone's support and good wishes, :grouphug2:
 
Deb, Nan is in the UK where anaesthetists don't get involved in the pre-op period. They often get assigned to a theatre the previous day so don't know whom they will be operating on. The on-call anaesthetist might be the one to go to the ward the night before but these days, with admissions being the same day, they don't get a chance to see patients or their notes before they get to theatre. Obviously this time the anaesthetist was reading Nan's notes on the computer and found this. However, I think she could have at least allowed her to get into an area of privacy where she could break the bad news - not in a corridor in front of porters! Very bad behaviour!
 
Hi Jo, They did wheel me back to my bed first before they explained why I was cancelled. However I did have to wait all day to find out whether to go home or if I would get the scan same day.

I Had a call this afternoon - could I get to the MRI dept within the hour for a scan - I said i'l be there in half an hour!
Now I just have to wait for the anaesethist to see the result and show it to the neck consultant to check, if it's fine, then it's up to my hip consultant's secretary to slot me in as soon as it's possible. He did say yesterday that I would go to the top of the list, but what worries me is how far in advance the list has already been drawn up. Could be weeks, months....
 
Thanks for the info Jo. I did not know about that aspect. Here in the US it is usual practice for surgical patients in non emergency situations to meet with an anesthesiologist prior to surgery - usually several days prior so that any concerns about the anesthesia or procedures can be addressed. You are right though - a private area to give this news would have been much preferred!

Still best of luck to you nannyles - I sure hope you can get this all sorted in a very timely manner and get your surgery done!
 
It varies - sometimes the list is booked about 3 weeks ahead, sometimes longer. But the general rule is it's never overbooked so there is room for an urgent case (as opposed to an emergency) to be slotted in. Plus there are then those cases that decline the booking for various reasons, are too ill to accept it or no longer need the surgery for some reason. It does happen! Because not all the cases booked on the list will be hip replacements - could be anything - a bunion even!
 
Yes things are very different in UK. I guess I had better get over to the November nimbles as most of you will now have moved over to the 'other side' and left me:cry:I do hope to get there very soon :sigh:
 
Fingers crossed for you nannyles! Do update us when you have any news!
 
On a rollercoaster of emotions at the moment, just waiting for the phone toring. If I don't get a call by end of Monday I will call them. Want to know what the scan showed and if it's clear, when can they fit me in.
 
Hi Nannyles

I am joining you on the roller coaster ride of emotions :)
We just need, no want answers right now that is for sure!

We must draw on all our reserves and stay strong , I tell myself and that thought lasts for a few minutes only. Then I don't know about you, but it seems harder each time to come back

I really hope that you, Neshym and I who are the October cancellations will be looking back at all of this by Xmas as just the bad dream it seems to be right now!

We will overcome, life must get better l:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom