Revision THR Och a wee set back

I used to work in Burntisland but I live in Kinross

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh sheesh, forbesy, that must be the best 'it's not our fault it's yours' letter I ever saw!
How's you case coming along with the lawyer? (no details required, just an okay or dreadful!)
 
How's you case coming along with the lawyer? (no details required, just an okay or dreadful!)

Nothing really exciting to mention in despatches I just keep sending any info I receive off to them and will let them have the latest one to ponder over. Think it will be quite a while before I hear anything will just stick it on the back burner.
 
That letter you got would definitely spur me to greater action. It is ridiculous to say its your weight. Where is the research and did they share this with you pre op. By the way your leg might break as you are a bit heavy!!!! If this were true there should be publicly X manufacturer makes weak joints. What if it were fine immediately post op but then someone made dramatic weight gain coz of health probs - is that a risk too?

It is easy to blame the patient - I always react badly to morphine and codeine but when I was sick after the op it was my fault as I was tossing and turning so much (unbeknown to me as I had not come to yet!!)

You sounds like you are doing brilliantly now - all that choc cake not passing your lips.
 
I'm in total agreement. Goodness me that letter was downright rude and tbh insulting. Good luck whatever you do xxx
 
You sounds like you are doing brilliantly now - all that choc cake not passing your lips.

Trying my best Copsham lost a little I am never a dive in the deep end weight loss person have cut out the sugar and onto sweetner's and trying not to snack to much between meals.

Nana Moon
Cheers This will all take time and I will have to sit tight and wait and see what the solicitors say. and what course they will choose.

Billy
 
Hi @forbesy
Something interesting. Last night I could not sleep due to the heat and was researching issues about my broken bone in foot. I was reading something relevant to me and this popped up as research from the same institution :

Relationship of body mass index to early complications in hip replacement surgery
Study performed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Orthopaedic Directorate, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

The finding was that BMI has a miniscule effect on hip outcomes BUT the skills of the surgeon had a seven times greater effect on outcomes (but still minuscule). I thought of you when I looked at this!

Hope all is going well for you. I love the way you are so laid back re the legal action. I think I would be champing at the bit so to speak!
 
People often are! But in the studies done by the NJR, they find grate differences in outcomes for different implants and note that the only variable in the studies are the surgeons! I've been saying that for years!

Thanks for the link.
 
Hi Josephine , Copsham sorry I haven't been in sooner with me moving house, I am afraid it is begining to look fruitless with my attempts to try and get the NHS or the makers of the hip to take responsibility. My solicitors have updated that unless I can trace the broken hip or the makers I am fighting a loosing battle. I have been that busy moving house it has had to be put on the back burner. I may try one more letter but it looks like this may be going nowhere.
As for myself I have moved into my end terraced cottage in Bonnyrigg and loving it even though it needs everything done and probably a small extension. Promise everyone has been doing the work for me from cutting the grass as it was knee length, got a roofer in to do my guttering and got a firm in to do the removals. getting a company coming in to remove out of control conifers and someone coming in to do some slabbing, my son has floored some of the attic and my son in law has laid the carpets.
I do get quite stiff sometimes when getting out my chair at work but remember this easing off with my first hip replacement about 7 or 8 months. My knee gave one almighty click/crack one night and it was really sore but this came to nothing. Loosing weight nightmare as I have had to much on my mind to concentrate.
Really hope everyone is keeping well and hopefully back to a bit of normality in the next couple of weeks still living in box city I'm afraid.

Billy
 
Hi just catching up on your thread. Can't believe that break. ..why can't the solicitors request who the manufacturer of the replacement is, under their legal capacity of gathering iinformation on behalf of their client. Not fair you have to it when you would think one letter from a solicitor would get the info. It's not necessarily like you are suing the hospital. .....yet ..good luck, don't give in x
 
Hi @forbesy Good to hear from you. Moving house is a nightmare at the best of times. Seems like you have it under control (sort of?).

Have you asked for a copy of your hospital notes? I did and without any problem were given them. The notes have absolutely everything from the type of stitch, medication, anaesthetic, the serial number of the hip prostheses even the screws used etc . They have to keep the details of the hip replacement in case any subsequent problem and ex patients need to be traced. I think the National Joint Registry keeps the information. I signed a form to say that the info could be sent to them.

@Josephine will know what to do.

Look after yourself!
 
Hi @copsham and @forbesy , yes I forgot about that and the joint register. I suspect they would be very helpful as they are there to monitor THR.
broken link removed: https://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/default.aspx

Ooh It looks like Scotland isn't part of this register, but it does have some interesting reading. Here is the link to Scotlands registry - go to data collection etc for more info.

https://www.arthro.scot.nhs.uk/SJR.html

broken link removed: https://www.nhsinform.co.uk/rights/publications/leaflets/
The above link takes you to the area where there is a leaflet and info on
' how to see your health records' this is for Scotland, same as England etc

It says

To ask in writing, send a letter to the practice manager at your GP surgery, or the health records manager at the hospital or other NHS organisation that has your records. In the letter you should say if you want to: just see your records or also have a copy get all or just part of your records. You may need to fill in an application form and give proof of your identity. You should say if you would like your records to be given to you in a format that meets your needs. This will be done wherever possible. You don’t need to give a reason for wanting to see your health records.

There is also a leaflet with phone numbers and addresses, plus the way to complain. You have 6 months to complain after the event. But you have already put a complaint in place, so this shouldn't be a problem, so may be you need to go to the NHS board and get your notes with the info on.
Then maybe the legal team can then take over.

It must be difficult having moved house etc, but this shouldn't have happened and the manufacturers need to be told, so this does not happen to anyone else.

Good luck x
 
I am afraid it is beginning to look fruitless with my attempts to try and get the NHS or the makers of the hip to take responsibility. My solicitors have updated that unless I can trace the broken hip or the makers I am fighting a loosing battle.
forbesy, you need to ask specifically for a copy of the 'in theatre' or original, hand written operating notes of your original replacement, it's just one or perhaps two sheets. On it there should be the labels of all the implants that you had. This is what you want.
 
Hi @forbesy
Ever felt several women champing at the bit, wanting to sort it out for you. Go for it!! BTW I don't know if my weight has gone up because I don't know how much my plaster cast weighs. That's my excuse any way!!
[Bonesmart.org] Och a wee set back
 
I did include myself in that!! I really want to fight about it on your behalf - totally your issue not mine though x
 
:skep::skep:Gee whizz you two are fantastic I am going to get the ball rolling next week hopefully but unfortunately my leg has been giving me a bit of jip my knee appears to be stiffening up, just went to the shops b and q's to get a couple of things and it started to stiffen up with less flexibility around my knee. If I stop for just a few moments and rest it does ease off but it can be a bit painful Fingers crossed this is just part of my recovery.
Got a letter to attend an Arthroplasty Practitoner on August the 4th and boy I feel like I have hacked them off completely.

You are about to attend for a routine review of your joint replacement.

This appointment may take a different format from previously, You may be asked to fill in a short questionaire about your hip replacement. You would then be x-rayed and allowed home. There may be no need or requirement for any clinical consultation during the appointment.

A letter would then be sent to you and your GP with the result of the x-ray. If any further follow up was required you would be advised of this and an appointment sent to you. You would be contacted if there were any concerns from you x-ray.

Frosty :skep:
 
Back
Top Bottom