TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Don't worry about stairs yet.
It's not unusual for it to take 4 months or more before you can do them one foot at a time, both going up and coming down. If you couldn't do them before your surgery, then it could take longer than that.
 
Bsassy
@KarriB

Lovely. Just lovely, lol... Now I'm reading about stairs? I still use one leg at a time but have found some little teeny-tiny stairs I can practice on. I don't do much, just a few when I'm in the mood (being the truly ambitious person that I am, ha ha)
It's "cold" here again in PA- darn! Can't we just move this state about 500 miles south and let North Carolina drop off into the Atlantic ocean? Oh boy, missed my nap today...

Karri: hope you're your insurance stuff works out. It's not enough that you're in physical pain, working full-time; now you're taking on the bureautic, time-consuming, energy draining red tape of our complicated health system...all designed by individuals who've probably never had surgery, lol
Every call I've had to make to my insurance company, pharmacy or health professional since my surgery has been so energy draining for me. I become impatient and somewhat abrupt with them all- hope they forgive me...

Good night and sweet dreams to both of you.
Newbie tkr
 
I do have wonderful insurance, it's always been the Cadillac of insurance. I didn't pay one cent out of pocket for my TKR, but then UPMC developed their own and decided not to accept Highmark/Blue Cross. Highmark bought hospitals and won't accept UPMC. ARGH! My docs all accept my insurance, however it does affect the hospital's I can use. So my OS group who was strictly UPMC went shopping for hospitals they could work out of to treat their patients. It infuriates me. If you have cancer you can go wherever you want, but not if you have heart trouble. So far I'm good, no hear problems and none in my family.
 
I don't understand the powers that be and why they want to take something that worked just fine and muck it up... I understand there are peeps who don't have insurance but no one can be refused treatment. It also sickens me how the elderly can't afford their medications so they go without....it's a sad world we live in these days.

@Newbie tkr last night I crawled up the stairs but I did it one after the other....was NOT a pretty site but I was determined....this morning as I lay here....my hips are throbbing...my muscles are mush and it's really annoying me...what an idiot to let myself get this far down!

Today I see the cardiologist for my annual listen to the ticker visit... I go once a year just because there's such a strong family history of heart disease...I'm not going thru the pain of this knee only to keel over next month of a heart attack.... Better to be pro active than re-active.AND...I'm mad at myself for breaking my diet twice this week...I had wine twice and last night ate a whole bag of popcorn....seriously don't know what set that off other than I was tired of listening to the husbands mouth so I figured the crunch would drown out his voice...didn't work but the popcorn was deliciousness!!
 
You crack me up! In a great way- listen, when I lived on my own, which has been most of my life, my lifestyle regarding food was pretty darn healthy. If I didn't have junk in the house I wouldn't eat it...didn't eat meat, sugar...blah blah blah

Now, living with family and a brother-in-law who LOVES to cook, I probably have a horrific diet (comparatively speaking) to what I ate when I lived alone. Eat sweets everyday, meat, (a couple times a week), yada, yada, blah...

I've lost 17 pounds since I moved in here-now how DID that happen? Wasn't overweight before but by about 10 lbs.

Does eating popcorn really drown out the sound of hubbie's voice? Does he have access to your BoneSmart thread?
:giggle:
Usually I just play dumb when I'm "selectively" listening...I've heard when you've been married awhile you can do that.

Haven't had an alcoholic beverage since surgery- 2 months ago...ohhhh, what I would give for a glass of Gran Marnier tonight.

It's my day to "pooper-scoop" the back yard (sis has two big dogs) and i get paid to do it...this is the life, I'm telling ya', ha

Another gorgeous day in sun-drenched PA- hope you have a good one bsassy...knee gets a nice rest today but my tv will be active ALL day...it's jus' that kind of day.
 
My part of PA is cloudy and chilly. We're expecting showers any minute. Now I went to go out for a walk!:heehee:

I'm hoping someday to do the stairs like a big girl but it's already been years because of knee pain so I bet it's going to take me quite a while. I'm glad you enjoyed the popcorn. I've been grabbing quick junk food stuff and I've actually gain a few pounds. Hopefully someday soon I'll be active enough to lose some weight.
 
@bsassy,
Well it's an accomplishment to get up the stairs that way! I'm not even close to that but did manage to measure my knee at 90 degrees this morning - and can pedal my exercise bike with the seat as high as it goes, and putting my heel on the pedal (allowing a little less bending)! I guess all these small things help. I agree about how sad it is to be so weak - can't believe what tires me out and gets me sweating - so little effort it seems. I can't even imagine riding my bike 30-40 miles which I used to be able to do just fine. But working a little on more endurance now that knee is less sore and less swollen.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is freezing here in western Pa! 48 and rainy...guess who's on the golf course? At least that saves me from another bag of popcorn!
Went to the cardiologist today, the ticker is good he tells me... I was worried, did anyone's OS put them on Celebrex after surgery? Mine did, 2x a day...said for 3 months. Celebrex has scared me since all the negative literature came out so I took myself off it after 2 months and told him...he said let's try Mobic( miloxican) .. Well tried that for a 10 days and got zero out of it, at least wt the Celebrex nothing hurt! Anyway I decided I'd ask Dr Cardio about it... He's Colombian and has a very strong accent so I caught about every 5th word because that subject obviously hyped him up a bit... No no no Celebrex! No no no Mobic... Ok, can I take Advil? Ahhh yes he calmed down and said Advil was fine in moderation...was really glad I asked since the Celebrex was tempting. I'm still taking a 10mg of Norco usually around 1 or 2 in the afternoon...it does make a difference but since all the probs I had in the beginning with the poop fairy failing to show up, I guess my mind is a bit gun shy to take any more than one whether I need it or not....
@Newbie tkr , have that gran manier tonight...this isn't a dress rehearsal! And if you earned your pay today by scooping then I'd say you well deserve it! And a little red meat...hey if somebody's cooking you can't be rude!
@charmed-life ...90 degrees is pretty great! It'll come, we're so hard on ourselves...riding 30-40 miles...good Lord woman, I bet you went thru a lot of tires ;-) not to mention sore butts. I think age has taken over our endurance as well...although I sure don't feel my age or act it :)
@newlybionic dont let me kid you...those stairs will be the death of me...my house is multi level wt stairs everywhere...I wouldn't miss one thing about it if we moved...( well maybe my bar room where the wine is :)..and my deck) even had the big guy looking on Realtor.com for a ranch home...that will be my luck, we'll find one, and in 6 months I'll be able to big girl the stairs ... Ummm no prob not. My hips hurt the next day after I try a few...and I'll be not a happy camper if a year from now I'll need a new hip... NO WAY!
I wonder how many people wt tkr's need thr's...I think there are injections for that...and there's always wine!
6:15pm...time for my jammies....and to order a pizza delivery...one thing I'm doing is milking the " I can't cook yet" for as long as I can...what he doesn't know won't hurt him ;-)
 
It is cold! I left my windows open yesterday and came home to a 63 degree house. Yep, the furnace and fireplace were on last night. The wet cold today went straight through me to my joints, it's far worse than the bitter cold of winter.
I live in a ranch, but have to go up 13 steps to the main floor, so once I'm up I'm good. Surely he could find a ranch on a golf course...
 
@bsassy, once I got a good bike with good seat, it never hurt to ride it. My siblings all ride bikes and we were together on a bike ride when I did this injury to my knee. It kept me and hubby in great shape - now I need to get back and lose 5-10 lbs too...

I cook now but we go out once a week at least and save half so that's 5 or less meals/week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@KarriB I'm glad you mentioned the cold damp and how it affected your joints today... I haven't had this much pain in over a week with BOTH my knees and other parts...I also had my windows open but did have the furnace on as well ( yes stupid crazy )
Maybe a ranch on a golf course in the dry deserts of Arizona ...!!!
 
Omg, 3am and I woke freezing, hurting, swollen knee, rats! Rats!
Went down 2 flights of stairs, practically sleepwalking, to get ice-pack AND some cookies...everyone knows if you eat cookies in the middle of the night it really doesn't count. Just want to go back to sleep and wake up about a month from now...

Btw, i'v had BOTH hips replaced already. One in 2004 and one about 15 months ago. Severe osteoarthritis...Whadda gonna do?
:alarm:
 
@Newbie tkr so sorry you had a bad night. It must be in the air. I have such pain this morning I can hardly stand it. I have no idea why. Yesterday felt pretty good, I even stopped at the store for a bit but did not over due. I woke about 1/2 hour ago with just shooting pains all thru. I had to take 2 pain pills first off. I haven't done That in weeks... I'm laying in bed crying right now. And I don't even have any cookies for comfort. When oh when is this going to turn the corner?? I don't care about stairs anymore, I don't care about anything other than being pain free. It took 10 mins to hobble to the bathroom... I'm alone today, hubby on call. There's no way I'm going downstairs for ice... At this point I don't think I'd make it. I can't take much more. Seriously can't. I've never experienced this type of pain...like a man inside my knee stabbing at it to get out. Dear Lord it's not going to be a good Saturday and it's only 8am. Hope you're sleeping in... I did manage to get in 7 hours straight. Maybe I twisted it in my sleep??
 
Sending you a pm now...please read
 
Oh sweetie: it's horrible to be in the state of mind you're in right now- we've all been there! Me, at least once a day, wondering and believing that THIS is going to be the REST of my life- no end in sight! Crying at the drop of a hat, abrupt and witchy (with a B in front of it) with any slight interruption, mad at the weather, ticked at my cats who keep racing a cross the room RIGHT ON AND OVER my knee, the treacherous little ingrates. :catdance: :skep:

Hating each morning I get up because I don't even recognize this woman anymore- my entire body gone to flab b/c no workouts, AND, haven't even had a haircut/color for almost 2 months!

You are SO NOT ALONE- besides, we are SUPPOSED to be resting. Today is the perfect day to do it.

It's okay to take 2 pain pills. That's what they're there for...as needed, remember that part of the script? Hopefully they're kicking in now and quieting your body down a bit.

I sent you a pm. Use it, even if just to say hi. We wimps have to stick together...:console2:
 
@bsassy, seems like we can't win - you want to sleep but then I find my knee is very sore often after being in bed a longer time - either sleep with it in bad position or just using it after being still so long. Hope it has improved by now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bsassy Newbie is right. You are not alone. We are here for you. Ive felt like you many times. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You will get through this. I hope the pain pills have taken effect by now. Take the day off from everything and just relax all day.
 
Stabby random pains and ups and downs are annoying but so very normal during TKR recovery! The best I can recommend is to stand back (mentally) and realize your monthly progress. Expecting steady daily improvement is just too frustrating. Are you still elevating and icing at night? If not, go back to it!

I hope you feel better soon!
 
Hi, Marcy, hope you're doing well and feeling some relief from the stabbing pain you've been experiencing. It's been a beautiful weekend in Western Pa!
 
Hi @KarriB ... How are you? I'm not getting much relief at all... Went to the OS this morning and his opinion was I should NOT be having this much pain this far out from surgery. He sent me for bloodwork to look for bone or tissue infection, please say a prayer it comes back normal. Will keep you posted....rather nervous not to mention upset.
 
Back
Top Bottom