Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH boy, Margaret---I am ready got my boots and skis right here beside me!!! Swish, swish I so envy you---ski one for me while you are at it!!!
 
BioWheels The knee stiffness, like a tight rubber band, took up to 7 months to go away. Occasionally if I overdo it it'll come back a little but goes the very next day. My ROM was only 92 at 8 weeks and over my 18 months recovery has seemed to get stuck for a couple of months or more and then take one almighty leap. I'm now around 120 and was told to expect up to 130.

Some people recovery really quickly, gain ROM really quickly. Others, like me, are much slower. But we get there in the end.
 
skigirl; I'll do that just for you. Now, where did I put those skis three years ago? My pants still fit! I wore then about three weeks ago when we got a big dump of snow right down to the house - about 6 inches of the stuff. I wandered through it quite happily with no fear of falling.
 
I really am testament that ROM continues to improve for well over a year post op. I last reported 122 at the end of April 13 (16 months post op). This week 125 (19 months post op). Both measured with an app on my android phone. So what am I doing that gains the improvement - nothing much. Just occasionally, maybe twice a week, riding the exercycle with the seat as low as I can take, swimming and water walking once or twice a week, and walking up to an hour every day. I decided not to ski - I just don't feel strong enough and don't want to risk injury.
 
I agree Rom does contunue. I don't even know what mine is. I can bend but I still would like more. I figuare the more active I become, More rom will happen. Isn't it great. We will get there!!!!! Take care and keep going. Tashia
 
Campervan,

Thanks for your post. It is encouraging to see added rom after 12 mo. post op. I just had my one year post op this week. I checked in at 118. I've gained from 105 from where I was stuck for months. I'm still struggling with stairs, but at this point it is because my other leg is rebelling about the added work load I've given it while doing all my gardening and animal care chores. Between the weak atrophied leg muscles on the right and the sore leg muscles on the left, I don't have dependable stability. I like your exercise routines, too.

Martha
 
Well its happened. I've had my first fall. My left non tkr knee gave way and I went down face first and my right elbow took the force of the fall. Right knee seems ok. My cheek bone and elbow are sore.
 
Ouch Margaret! :console2:

I hope your sore places start to feel better soon. Glad your knee wasn't hurt!

Best wishes,
Caryl
 
That first fall is so scary. Glad you were not hurt. Take a easy for a couple of days. Tashia
 
Oh, Margaret :console2:

I am sorry to hear that you fell! I have several times, and I thought that would be enough for both of us! :wink:

Seriously though, please take care of yourself! It has been a long time since I have heard from you, and I would like to hear good news like your ROM and stuff, but some threads are not alerting me. Hopefully, now I will be alerted whenever you post!
 
Thanks ladies. I had diclofenac and paracetemol in my bag so took them straight away. Rotator cuff in right shoulder is starting to ache as the day has passed and my wrist too as well as the elbow. And I'm aching in my neck, sort of like whiplash. I'm going to see how they all are tomorrow and make a decision as to whether to see my doctor or physio. Oh yes, and headache too so a tad worried I have concussion again, which I had two months before my TKR. But the headache could me from my neck.

Sonja, I haven't been around much lately as I've been changing accounting software for my clients so been kept busy on forums connected with that, such as LinkedIn. How you doing?
 
Just a note to say I hope you haven't sustained any significant injuries. My worst nightmare is falling as I had a greater tuberosity fracture last time. I tend to walk looking down all the time, I'm so anxious. Take things gently.
Sue.
 
Margaret, so sorry to hear about your fall. I hope it's just aches and pains, nothing else. Keep us posted.

Dawn
 
Hi Margaret,
How are you feeling today?

Caryl
 
Margaret, how are you feeling today? We are worried about you! :console2:
 
Hi ladies, today the headache is gone. My right arm hurts from elbow to shoulder and I'm hoping its just strained muscles and that I've not done anything to the rotator cuff. Right now I should be working but I'm sitting in the lounge drinking my second cup of coffee. Not sure if I told you all, but I gave up my job last November to concentrate on being a tax accountant. So I now work from home full time and love it. Basically, I got the bug for working from home when I was recovering from my TKR.
 
Been to my doctor this afternoon. Shoulders and arms are just strains and so I start physio on Monday, take diclofenac and paracetamol and all should come right with time. So thank goodness no rotator cuff tear.

As regards the non TKR knee that gave way - doctor is referring me to my OS for review and probably MRI although doctor doesn't think the knee is ready for replacement yet. She says the giving way is indicative of ACL issues but her physical tests indicate ACL is strong. My nephew's knee was giving way a few months ago and his turned out to be some chunks of stuff floating round, so maybe mine could be the same. My OS is 1600km away and I'm going up there in November so I should be able to see him then.
 
Margaret,sorry to hear about your misshap. Get better and take it easy.
 
Hi Margaret,
I'm so glad you didn't do any serious damage. I hope your bumps and bruises and strains soon start to feel better.

Bad luck about the non-operated knee playing up - mine is doing the same and I'm sure the arthritis in it progressed while it had to be the strong knee during my TKR recovery. I think mine is about a year away from being ready for replacement. I'll get it checked by my OS in December, at my 2-year checkup of the TKR. He offered me a PKR on it last December, but I said I'd rather wait until it's ready for a TKR.

I was watching coverage of some of the winter games in Queenstown - it reminded me what a beautiful place you live in.

Best wishes,
Caryl
 
Hi Margaret, Sorry to hear that you fell. I am glad that no major damage has come from it. I also fell recently and am recovering. This is no fun at all. Hang in there and get better soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom