Guest viewing is limited

TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugs to you Margaret,

It sounds as if you are in a very hard place. I am with you in that I would not be wanting to have anyone operate having your quad lag unresolved in the original knee replaced leg. I hope that you can get some resolution and some sleep.
 
122 and counting! Was 118 when I saw OS at beginning of March. So I'm testament that ROM can still improve well after a year post op. The 122 was using the app on my phone. OS did say it would be that accurate but over time would show me I was gaining.
 
Margaret, congrats. It's god to know that ROM can be achieved after a year. This makes my day since I am over 4 months post & have not achieved that magic"120" flexion!!!

No MUA for me; currently trying out the Graston Technique. I've had one session and 2 more scheduled within the next 2 weeks.

Has anyone tried and had success with this technique?
 
Pumpkin, I've only had one session but so far, I am feeling good about it. It takes several sessions to see good results. My first and only session so far was good. I was able to ride the bike faster because my knee felt looser. Also, doing the leg press, I was able to bend my knee back a little bit more although, I think I paid for that leg press ordeal because my hip muscle was sore for a few days. I experienced redness above my incision and my thigh was slightly tender. It hurt a little but not as much as the PT pushing on my knee!:doh:

Hopefully, the technique will release some ROM. I'm trying to get in as many sessions as I can before leaving for vacation in 2 weeks and see how I do while on vacation and after I come back.

I have my next session this coming Friday so we will see.
 
Yes, I've been trying the Graston Technique. I have gained ROM. Before I was stuck for 4 months at 105 - now I'm at 120. Initially my therapist used the tools pretty lightly and I wasn't seeing much change. Then I started seeing a Red Cord PT also and he started using the Graston tools more vigorously. Then I gained. I can't tell you if it was the Graston or combination.

My cousin is a fitness trainer and he advocates for the Graston Technique. He's worked with Olympic athletes.

I know it isn't aligned with the Bonesmart mantra - because it is more aggressive. I usually hurt for a a day or so after a vigorous session, but I can usually detect looser responses after that. I'm about to take a break from PT and just see how it does planting my large garden and being outside more often now that the weather is cooperative.

Hope this helps. I started a thread for Graston Technique on Bonesmart. When you have a story, I hope you'll add to it.
 
There are several Graston tools - they are various shapes and sizes for various muscle shapes and sizes. I haven't really paid a lot of attention to which ones they've used with me. I did have one PT make a comment - suggesting that a good PT with strong hands can be just as effective. The tools simply save wear and tear on the PT's hands. I'm just passing the comment along. I don't think any PT's hands I've encountered could be as strong as the tools.
 
Martha, thank you for the Graston Technique information. Yes, I will add any additional information to your thread as I go along. So far, I've only had one session. My PT used different tools and was very aggressive especially on my incision!
 
Well, the past three days I've been at a conference from 9am each day through to 5pm and then back again for dinner two nights from 7-10pm. I'm absolutely shattered mentally and physically but my knee behaved wonderfully well. It didn't get stiff sitting for 2 hours at a time and easily handled the stairs at the hotel.

The only time I got concerned about it was last night. It was cocktail dress so I wore 2inch heals for the first time in about 4 years. I felt great in them, walked around home easily but the darn't function centre had an uneven stone floor which was so hard to walk on. Everybody was complaining about it and one guy fell over!

So at 18 months come this Tuesday I feel great, even if I do have the unresolved issue of quad lag.
 
This post is for all those of you who are struggling and can't be patient - it is worth the wait. Today, at 18 months post op, I walked non-stop for 2 hours 20 minutes, 8.2 kilometres. My feet ache - I should have worn my tramping boots. My knees are a little stiff but have come good after a hot bath. TKR knee handled it better than non-TKR, which is slowly degenerating (DARN!)
 
Woops, my last post was at 17 months. TODAY my knee is 18 months old. My goodness where has the time gone. I hardly ever now take meds for my knee - can't remember the last time I look diclofenac. My other knee is definitely deteriorating but I still don't need the daily meds for it. So right now I'm doing OK.
 
8.2 kilometers!!! Wowee! I'm so impressed! And amazing that your unoperated knee is still hanging in there. Happy for you, Margaret! :)
 
In the entire 18 months since my TKR, every time I come to stairs I think "ummm, how's it going to behave, which leg shall I go up with first".

Well today, I found myself up on a performance stage and then realised I'd walked up four steps without thinking!

I sometimes tell myself that this is it, no more gains to be made. And then something happens and I realise I can do something I couldn't do a month ago.

So to all the new Bonesmarties - I'm testament that improvements continue for well over a year.
 
skigirl; BJ Mac; Coronet Peak base station today, one week after opening day. I haven't been up yet but I do plan to try this year.
 
Hey Campervan
Thanks for all your questions/comments. I have found that same stiffness in my knee. I had TKR on my left knee on May 30, 2013. So I'm about 4 weeks post op now. I did use the CPM machine for about 3 weeks, and now I have found 2 things that have helped with my knee stiffness. One, I use the NuStep machine @ the YMCA for about 30 minutes - low resistance, minimum ROM that doesn't increase the pain beyond a 4/5. Then, when I am done I get into the pool for about 30 minutes. No real swimming, though I do manage the backstroke, but mainly I use the pool to reduce the swelling/stiffness - water pressure helps tremendously with swelling/stiffness. In the water I mimic the bicycling movement. My ROM isn't nearly as good as I'd like, right now I'm @ about 90/95 degrees - but my PT keeps telling me it takes time, AND not to over do the workouts/exercises. I also do my daily exercises, but usually only once a day for now. I have to say that my knee always feels the best after the NuStep and swimming.
Jeff
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom