TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is - I'm not fat. So how on earth do fat people do up these skinny boots! It wasn't just one pair, it was every pair in two shops.
 
Thing is - I'm not fat. So how on earth do fat people do up these skinny boots! It wasn't just one pair, it was every pair in two shops.

Hi Margaret,

I know just what you mean!

I am not a skier, but I have a pair of Doc Martin boots that I used to wear pre-op. There's no way that I can even get them on now - foot and leg don't look swollen, but obviously they are.

Damn! I like those boots. They are "happy boots". Not the usual, plain Doc Martins, but they have daisies and flowers all over them. I liked to wear them on rainy days, because they look so cheerful.

Perhaps, at 70+, I'm too old for Doc Martins?

Celle, from Taranaki.
 
Celle, noone is ever too old for anything they set their heart on.. Hang on to your boots you never know when they might fit again, and think about the buzz when they do. When you have something you specially love its always best to keep them. They also bring back fond memories. You can always do what I do with my husbands working boots, put a plant pot filled with nasturitiums, or anything flowery in them and use them as unusual flower containers. I have 3 pairs of his old boots as they become "available" and also a couple of pairs of old wellies and they make excellent planters and are a topic of conservation when anyone visits us.

Take care Celle xx:friends:
 
Well, funny thing it was my non-TKR leg they would't fit and that shouldn't be swollen. But calf in that leg must be working harder I guess.
 
Hi! Margaret, I see all the talk about skiing and the weather your way have brought a change in your avatar. I assume that's you! Neat! I love it.

I always have to take a back seat when folks talk about the sports they're involved in. I, myself, am a born spectator. I can sit for hours and hours on hard backless benches without complaining or falling off. That's my only claim to fame sportswise.

Know you're looking forward to being able to ski again---and YOU WILL GET THERE!
 
Thanks Judy, yep that's me way back in the late 1970's at Glenshee in Scotland. And that wasn't the fall that started my knee problems, I think the photo was after my meniscus surgery. I'm not sure I'll get back on my skis this winter, depends on outcome of visit to surgeon at end of May and what he says about the quads lag that I still have.
 
I've believe the exercises I've been doing since leaving hospital 5 months ago plus one or two others are now doing absolutely diddly squat! Nothing improving. So I've stopped most of them, and I'm changing tack to strength exercises, and more tension on the exercycle and I'll go climb some hills at the wekeend. I've got a book on the way from Amazon that is for strengthening the muscles around the knee.

I might not be doing the right thing given I have quad lag still and ROM of 105 last measured a week ago, extension is zero, but I just feel I have to change something to progress further.

All comments, criticisms, suggestions gratefully received.
 
How are you today , Margaret. No way can I do those goblet squats!
 
Thanks Steve and Nancy. I'm not going to try the goblet squats - don't think I'm ready yet. But going to try the Petersen Step - just gotta find a step!
 
Margaret, are you trying to improve flexion? You don't actually say, but I assume that's so.

The way to train to do something better, is to do it. Sorry to restate the obvious, but we lose track sometimes. The only way IMO to improve flexion is to do it; the skateboard stretch that I advocate, or any other kind of stretch that challenges and tries to extend flexion.

I, for instance, am much stronger than a month ago because of 500 miles on the bike, but flexion has slightly worsened due to my lazy neglect of the stretches needed.
 
Hi Roy, nope not flexion although that is still quite low but I'm doing so much more. I can put my knickers and trousers on standing up and have been able to for a few weeks, and now just this last few days can put my socks on standing up. Have to own up that after stopping all the stretch exercises that I stiffened up, so doing them again.

Its the quads that I need to strengthen as I still have quad lag. If I sit in a chair and raise my ankles my non TKR knee goes really straight and the TKR right knee won't come all the way up - ankle is about 3 inches lower. I don't know if its the quads causing it or something wrong inside.

I'm now riding my exercycle starting on lowest setting but moving up after 2 minutes, then again after 4 minutes and again after 5 minutes, so ending up on tension 4 for a few minutes and then back down again for up to 20 minutes total.

I see surgeon in 10 days time.
 
Its the quads that I need to strengthen as I still have quad lag. If I sit in a chair and raise my ankles my non TKR knee goes really straight and the TKR right knee won't come all the way up - ankle is about 3 inches lower. I don't know if its the quads causing it or something wrong inside.
Sounds to me like you just need to do some extension stretches.
 
Thanks Roy. I don't believe the problem is with extension, which is zero. If I straight leg raise the leg below the knee droops a few inches. I can reduce the amount of the droop by tensing every possible muscle in my leg but it never totally stops the droop. Also when I do squats the first couple of inches feels like the quads just above my knee are jammed and then click over something as the squat lowers.
 
I don't believe the problem is with extension, which is zero
Fair enough, I hadn't realised that. Maybe just persisting with the exercises will help? But I am just guessing, sorry...
 
Thanks Roy. Surgeon warned me that femoral nerve block can damage quads, so of course I'm concerned that that is what has happened. The question I have is whether they recover (if thats what it is of course)? Could just be I need to strengthen,

Today is 5 month anniversary of surgery. I see surgeon in 10 days.
 
I'm sure the continued exercise will help , Margaret. I get that feeling just when I pull knees up to bottom. I get so far, then I have to wait for the click and feel something give in my knee and then I can bend it further
 
Yesterday I twisted around to talk to answer somebody, my quad gave a big squeal and now I have sore muscles in my groin. Knee is stiffer too. And knee has a new pain, on the front, lower, outside, and only there when I walk. So off to the physio tomorrow morning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom