TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Margaret
I hope all will be well with your knee in the morning. It is annoying when try to push things and we end up with niggles - I know the darn feeling :sigh: Keep us posted.
 
Thanks ladies. Didn't sleep too well as knee was uncomfortable. Not too bad this morning but the calf muscle on outside of leg is playing up again - hurts when I move my leg. Just hoping it settles down quickly. I've massaged it this morning with my natural Antiflamme cream (arnica etc). I did think of using Voltaren Gel but the Antiflamme is so nice for massage.
 
Today hasn't been a good day. Feels more like 2 months post op than 4 months. Very stiff, quads hurting when I lift my leg. If I keep my leg up elevated and straight for a while it hurts to bend it. If I keep it bent for a while it hurts to straighten it. So have taken voltaren with my dinner tonight. Still have quad/extensor lag. Beginning to think I have the Hoffa fat pad impingement. I see surgeon late May.
 
What a nuisance for you Margaret. I do hope it all settles down over the next couple of days, take it easy.
 
I expect it is your quads rebelling from hiking up and down. They will get used to it eventually! That horrid word patience comes to mind.

BTW I have just booked my round the world trip. I shall be arriving in Queenstown on August 9. I am thinking of booking a coach tour to do the South Island before making my way to Auckland for nephew's wedding on 22nd. Any travel tips welcome!
 
Thanks Jo and Diane. Settled down somewhat this morning. I think Voltaren pill last night worked. Maybe I need them for a few more weeks.

Diane, we should most definitely meet when you are in Queenstown. You'll be here at the tail end of winter, but it'll still be cold, maybe 10degreesC during the day. Things to do - a must Milford Sound. The scenery driving from Queenstown to Christchurch via Mount Cook is absolutely stunning. The ferry trip from Picton, top of South Island, to Wellington is stunning on good weather days.
 
Hi Margaret, it seems we are destined to have good days and bad days! It is so aggravating! Today I seem to have new random niggles in different places. Depressing isn't it.?
 
Hi Margaret . So sorry to hear you're struggling. Keep your spirits up..better days are ahead !
 
Hi Margaret
That would be so good. Two Bonesmarties from opposite sides of the world meeting up! We will need to take a photo and post it on our threads. Thanks for the info. I am building up a list of places to see.
I hope today is a better day for you.
 
Campervan, love the name too!! As everyone has mentioned, the "rubber band" feeling seems to be normal. I had bilateral TKR on 9/13/11, and have done fantastic. I'm seven months out and haven't needed pain medicine for about three months. On my three-month checkup he suggested I use pain meds for "restless leg" that I was having at that time. It was short-lived though, so need for the pain meds is pretty much over. The ironic thing is my right leg does not have the "rubber band" sensation, only the left one. I sit at work all day, and by the end of the day, it feels very tight, which I guess is swelling. BUT every week it is better, and the OS told me that it would be a year before everything feels normal, and my brain connects with the new knees. So....anyone experiencing this, just hang in there, it will come.
Carol
BTKR 9-13-11
 
Regarding "restless legs" and esp leg cramps. I suffered from leg cramps at least 3 times a week, with a "charlie horse" that would wake me out of a dead sleep. I would have to jump out of bed and took awhile to get the cramp out of my leg and my foot on the floor......... was sleeping with heat on my leg most nights ----- this was long before my TKRs. I complained to a doctor and he gave me pills. I complained to PT and she told me to do this silly thing: put a bar of soap between my sheets when I sleep. She said she did not know why, but it works every time. I did it to prove her wrong. That was about 4 years ago. I have not had a leg cramp since, sleep with soap every night, kick it around at the bottom of the bed. Does not bother me and I do not need the pills. If you do not believe me, google it!
 
I've heard about putting the bar of soap at the foot of the bed under the covers. I know 2 people who swear by it. For some things there does not seen to be a logical explanation---but if it works for some people who needs an explanation?
 
Bar of soap in the bed keeps my husband cramp free. I forgot to put it in the bed one time, yikes the cramps were back. If it works it is true, give it a try.
 
Never heard about soap. Does it have to be a certain brand?:th_heehee:Hay if it works, why not. Hope this finds you feeling better. I find that after a day out with shopping or walking a lots of water is good. if you don't drink enough it can cause cramps. I'm sure you know this but I thought I would mention it. Have fun with the weather turing cold, thats sounds so strange because we are getting ready for summer and heat. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Still 105 at nearly 5 months! So only 15 more than first week post op. So frustrating. Functionally I can do more, like putting my trousers on without sitting down. Still got quad lag. I have an appointment with surgeon in three weeks.
 
Be sure to let us know what you find out at your appointment.
 
Good luck Margaret with your appointment, will be watching and waiting for the hopefully good news then.

Take care...:friends:
 
Now here's something - today I went to shoe shops to try to find a pair of nice smart winter boots for work. Right TKR leg I could do up the zip easily. Left non-TKR I couldn't zip up past my calf. Came home and tried my old boots, and yes I could do up the left but it was a bit of a struggle and it wasn't like that last winter. So what I've lost on the right calf, I've increased on the left. So I can't buy new boots until both are normal again. Or I can buy above ankle boots, but I really want up to knee ones.
 
Hi Margaret
It just goes to show that you have been using you muscles more since the surgery and your right calf will need a little work to get them balanced. I have the same issue - the tape measure comes out on a regular basis :th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom