TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet he regrets saying it! I hope you are munching on chocolate right now.
You certainly haven't had a straightforward recovery Margaret but you seem to be a very determined kind of girl so you will definitely get there in the end.
 
The sad truth is that, until someone experiences recovery from joint replacement surgery, it is very difficult to comprehend what that recovery involves. I mean, if SURGEONS who do the operation don't always get the pain, frustration, and anxiety that goes with recovery, how in the world would spouses, partners, family and friends truly understand? Just keep talking with him about what is going on and how you feel. And then post here with your BoneSmart family who KNOWS what you are going through.
 
Amen to that! I saw my primary this week and said to him (after having 2 TKRs last year) - that if he is recommending knee surgery that he should keep in mind that the first 3 months are hell. He looked amazed. REALLY? - he said. He should be prepared to talk with people about some of the important topics --- like rehab, pain management, plans for recovery, and this forum NOT just the give the referral. I know this is the responsibility of the OS too but your primary knows you best and should understand our big health picture!
 
Elizabeth- EXCELLENT comment to your primary and I could not agree more! Everyone who thinks of a TKA, unless they have had one, thinks it is only a rough time for a couple of weeks!! It is shocking (but not really) that a doctor could think the same as the general public on this.
I read somewhere that TKA is one of the two most painful surgical procedures (I wish I could recall what the other procedure was).
Thankfully we have this wonderful forum, where we all understand what really happens in a TKA and afterwards!
 
Yes, the surgeon doesn't just wave a magic wand--lots of recovery involved.
 
Two surgeons who were the very best with their patients; 1 was a hip surgeon who suffered from dreadful back ache, he would see any member of staff with back pain at short notice. The other was a hip surgeon who had a THR himself and said he never really understood what the recovery was like until he went through it himself!
 
Yes, the surgeon doesn't just wave a magic wand--lots of recovery involved.


This reminded me of a story a colleague told me about another OS that he worked with.

That OS was dealing with a rather cantankerous patient during their post-op period (not a TKA). The patients expectations and the reality of surgery did not quite line up. At the end of the office visit the OS grabbed a pointing device and started gesturing to the patient. The patient asked what he was doing. He replied, "waving my magic wand."

Not exactly the way I would deal with a patient, but still humerous.

Orthodoc
 
Hi Margaret

Oh dear, sometimes even our partners can be so insensitive - it really bugs me when you get a negative comment like that. Jamie is so right about folks not understanding this TKR process - thankfully we all do and we are here for you. Just make sure you keep some chocolate in the house at all times!!!

I hope you get some answers soon about your quads - is it this Thursday you see your OS? Take care.
 
Thanks all. Jo, yep Thursday. I fly to Auckland first thing and back on Saturday, so I'll get some shopping in decent malls. We have a lovely mall here but no BIG department store (mind you by English standards, our BIG department stores are little. If I kept chocolate in the house, we'd both each it within a few hours.......

The most understanding person re my knee is a work colleague. He's a 35 year old guy who was involved in a car accident 17 years ago and lost his left arm and left leg. He talks to me about pacing myself, doing my exercises and having patience during recovery. Today I was able to repay him as he told me he was struggling with a work project he has on at the moment and that its the biggest he's ever done. So I told him "anybody can eat an elephant, just take it one bite at a time". Also told him that if he needed any help with the costings side of things in Excel, just let me know and I'll be there for him.
 
I saw my surgeon today. He feels there is no femoral nerve damage. He did varous tests with the quads and all are working but one is definitely very weak and can cause the lag that I have. He did say we could do some nerve tests but wouldn't change what we're going to do - keep going with extensive quad strengthening exercises and exercycle. He hadn't seem me for 3 months and he said he could see there was a definite improvement.

I had XRays taken and he said the bone/cement on both components are sound and the patella sitting exactly where its supposed to sit. He measured flex at 107.

So I see him again in December but if I need to be in Auckland around August/September then maybe call in then as well.

So just all taking time, a long time......
 
That's all good Margaret. Sounds like they were very thorough and set your mind at rest. Just more of that elusive patience required....and some work. You'll get there.
 
Today Hubbie made one insensitive comment that has depressed me. He said "I thought you'd me much better by now". So feeling very sorry for myself and there's no chocolate in the house......

Have the chocolate.....try to rationalize it and hopefully he just was concerned...my hubby has acted in a similiar way, I got upset but realized he just does not understand...so I chose the glass of white wine:hysterical: Of course if your pt says all is well, and your OS says all is well...all is well!!!
 
Back home today after surgeons visit - report from him is a few posts above. Just thought I'd add that yesterday I went shopping with my niece. The day before my surgery I shopped with her and lasted 10 minutes before I had to use the baby's stroller as a walker. Yesterday I lasted 4 hours with a cake and hot chocolate break in the middle. I was so pleased. And I found a perfect pair of winter dress boots. Today I feel no after effects with my knee, just a normal day.
 
Mark that down on your list of milestones, Margaret! A day to remember--almost like being "normal". You're getting there--maybe a little slower than you'd like---but still getting there. That's what counts.

Mmmmm-cake and hot chocolate----sound divine!

Take care & keep us posted. We care.
 
Back home today after surgeons visit - report from him is a few posts above. Just thought I'd add that yesterday I went shopping with my niece. The day before my surgery I shopped with her and lasted 10 minutes before I had to use the baby's stroller as a walker. Yesterday I lasted 4 hours with a cake and hot chocolate break in the middle. I was so pleased. And I found a perfect pair of winter dress boots. Today I feel no after effects with my knee, just a normal day.
Cool!
 
Way to go Margaret. Nice to see things going great.
 
Margeret, Make sure you always have a candy bar with you. when I start hurting, I find a place to set and have my candy bar and just watch people. Before I know it, I'm ready to go and have fun. Have fun and take care.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Now I have something else to worry about. Yesterday I went to the doctors because I've been feeling tired again. I know my hemoglobin was low after surgery but I wasn't given transfusion. In the earlier stages of my recovery I've taken Ferograd C iron tablets and I seemed to get my energy back. This time I thought I should get checked out properly.

She measured my blood pressure and it was 170/100. She's concerned! Now waiting for results of a bunch of blood tests. She asked me if I'd ever had high blood pressure before, so I told her it had been erratic when I was in hospital.

Is it possible this is still reaction following surgery?
 
Oh Margaret! I hope you get this sorted out soon. Is it possible you're stressing about knee, can that affect blood pressure? I don't know the answer. At least it's being investigated. Keep us updated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom