Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - it was great doing aquafit this morning! I was able to do most of the exercises and work on my core, which hasn't being getting attention. I did something else while they were doing jumping - I probably could have done it but I'm not quite ready for that yet. It felt like a homecoming - instead of being in the little kids play area watching the older kids have fun. My knees feel fine at the moment, I'm hoping they won't be talking back at me later, but I don't think so.

I hope you have a good weekend. Is this massage weekend???
 
@SuperSnapper - all I can say is WOW. What beautiful photos John Potter takes. Did he give you a talk or a mini workshop? It looks like he gives dome amazing workshops - are you tempted???

Have fun on your mini-breaks next week.
 
@ Threads I am very tempted by his workshops. I was blown away by this photos. He was really just giving us a talk but he was very generous in telling us how he achieved some effects. It was really fascinating. He sells some prints as cards and I bought a couple but his art prints which were mounted were so beautiful that I might ask for a framed one for Christmas.

Hope you have had a good day?

I've been doing childcare -a sick little girl this afternoon and the two boys tonight. I will be relieved when everyone is tucked up asleep in bed.

Sending a polar hug - we had a partial eclipse of the sun here today but it was cloudy and I was in the doctor's :(
 
Awesome news that you moved up successfully to the BIG kids pool!!! And even better that the knees feel good. I'm convinced that the water makes us all Wonder Women........it's so nice to do things in there I can't do on dry land. I am going to swim this weekend. My gym is down to only one Aqua class and it's Tues night which conflicts with my son's schedule. So - I'm on my own. I will swim some laps and "run" in the water like I did last weekend.

I have my massage tomorrow - took last Sat off and survived. It was nice to save some money - she is only working every other Sat now so thought it was a good time to try to cut back. TGIF - woohoo!!
 
@ljrfrm - I'll be thinking of you having your massage and time in the pool. We don't go over the weekend, one of the many advantages of being in the retired world. You can do all that stuff during the week. Have a great weekend!
 
@Threads Retired world sounds like a marvelous place!!! I hope to visit there someday :) Wishing you a great weekend too!!
 
Just stopping by to say "hi". Hope those knees are doing well in your Aqua Fit classes............
 
@ljrfrm - I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing! Did you get to the pool on the weekend???

My first day back in Aquafit was great at the time, however Saturday brought some discomfort to my left knee and leg. It bothered me most of the weekend and at night as well. I debated whether to go back in Monday, but I did and was a bit more careful. When Doug left at the 45 minute mark and headed to the hot tub, I went with him. That felt good! Today I went again and when I had any question about whether I should do the exercise or not, I didn't - I walked in place in the water. We had three different instructors - Friday's was the most intense and today was the gentlest. Friday one of the exercises was "sitting" in the water with your other leg on top of your sitting knee. My knees don't like that particular position, they don't seem to like a sideways bend, so I've avoided that since I decided that's what caused the problem. My legs feel fine now.

However, my back has become my current issue! I went to a chiropractor today that my DIL recommended and had the X-Rays as part of the intake process. They show four places where my old "friend" arthritis has taken hold. The worst is in my lower back - at least that's where the pain is. I had an adjustment today. I know it can't be fixed the way knees are, but the chiropractor feels that she can help keep it from getting worse by keeping my spine loose. The bottom three vertebrae are almost fused. I never wanted to get into the perpetual circle of adjustments but I'm willing to try to see if I can ease the pain so I don't have to live on Tylenol. I know it can be a money pit but I thought I would give it a try. Getting my core stronger in the pool should help as well.

Thanks for asking and getting in touch. There doesn't seem to be much to report lately, so I've been quiet.
 
I'm glad you're careful in the pool. It's great you're there - but even better that you are careful to not overdo it. I didn't go to the pool this past weekend. I had something weird happen to my right knee. Out of the blue, I had an incredibly painful pain down the front of the knee with every step I took. Honestly, I couldn't even walk. I had never had that happen before - it was a sharp pain like I was being cut by a knife on the inside. It last about 4 hours and then slowly subsided. My "theory" is it was maybe some scar tissue or something that had moved into a spot that bothered me and then moved again to stop hurting. Who knows. The dr tended to think that my clunking and popping could be scar tissue and it all started when the PT massaged around in there so maybe she loosened stuff up? Who knows. I also have been very sore again since Saturday. For a few days I was feeling a bit better - tight, but better. Then on Sunday the pain increased again - just around the same time as I got that sharp pain. I had my massage on Sat and I'm now wondering if that is too irritating for my knees. I am going three weeks until my next massage (spring break - going to the beach next week!!) so if my knees feel better than I know that's what it is. If so, I will let her massage my hamstrings and IT bands but not touch my knees. This is all getting very old!!

I'm sorry your arthritis has moved from your knees to your back - I guess it just wasn't ready to leave!! I used to go regularly to my chiropractor and it really helped. In fact, I've been planning to go in for an adjustment now - between the walker, cane, recliner, etc. I definitely need an adjustment. I think you'll find it really helps - that plus also working on your core. Good luck - hope it feels better!
 
I'm so sorry to hear that your knee got worse over the weekend. I wonder if you have "hit the nail on the head" by suggesting that the massaging around the knee has loosened scar tissue. Maybe suggesting that she leave the knee alone and work around it, is a good one.

Spring Break next week!!! How wonderful to be heading for the beach - I'm green and it's not because St. Patrick's Day was last week. Hopefully, time away from work, massage and your trainer will give you time to relax, rest and just walk on the beach.

My back is so sore tonight after my adjustment. I certainly hope this is normal!
 
I was sore the first few times after an adjustment when I was very tight so hopefully that's all it is. I wonder if a muscle relaxer will help. I know when my back flared, that's just what I needed for a few nights to help it calm down?

I am looking forward to the beach - it won't be great beach weather - more like jeans and sweatshirt weather - but a day at the beach in any weather is better than a day at home!!

The only massage I was getting directly on the knees was to help the fluid/swelling - but I agree, if that was worsening my pain, than I want her to stay away!! I still think I have some tendonitis going on as well. So many theories and no answers - but hopefully time and patience will eventually heal me. Hoping the possible scar tissue/popping-clunking will minimize as well - I do have days where it seems a bit better.
 
Is there such a thing as beach weather??? When we were working and had a bit more regular $, we used to go to the beach all times of the year. There was a place we loved to stay where, off season, you could get a private cabin at a reasonable price. So we've stayed there through winter storms, fall balmy weather, Christmas and New Year - even snow and ice on the beach. That's where we celebrated the millennium. When we were working it was also necessary to get away more! Now, everyday is sort of a holiday - not really but the urge to get away isn't as strong. Having said that, we're spending a lot of time researching our trip for May, 2016 and have actually booked the river cruise portion of it!

How far a journey is it for you to get to the beach? For us, it's a ferry trip to Vancouver Island, then up island a bit until you get to the road that crosses the island and gets you to Tofino just past the Pacific Rim National Park. We have beaches in the city but it's not the same as being in a spot where the next stop is Japan.

It took a long time for my back to respond to the Tylenol this morning. I see the chiropractor again tomorrow, so I will mention the pain after my adjustment.

Off to give son and DIL time they need to photograph her art exhibit before it's run ends at the gallery. We get twin time in exchange!!
 
Enjoy your twin time! There is a closer beach, but the beach we are going to is a bit less than 5 hours away. My son has a soccer tournament this weekend (it will be snow flurries and in the 30's - not so great for me and my knees watching) and as soon as the last game is finished on Sunday, we will head directly there. Either early if they lose - or late afternoon if they make it to the finals.

Hope the chiropractor has some answers for your back!! My back is sore now - but because I did some core work with the trainer and I think it's just tired. Now that I'm not doing much with my legs to rest my knees, I think the rest of my body is paying for it. He about killed my biceps today! I did walk a slow mile after the trainer - and I'm stiff and sore. I remember walking my first mile after my surgery - through my hallways - and I think I probably felt better after. Then again, I was on drugs back then!
 
I'm sitting at the table with them while they do their math homework, so all is quiet. My Tylenol didn't kick in until this afternoon - the old story of don't let the pain get ahead of you! I was OK when we got here and the kids were happy walking to Granville Island with me.

Home now - I started writing this while they were doing their homework, but they didn't have much! The walk is always a pleasant one walking along the Seawall to Granville Island. It's about 1.5 miles return so I was happy my back behaved itself. It's a busy tourist destination in the summer, but this time of the year we get to enjoy it, it's shops and the Market without the tour busses. I was out of bulk tea and wanted to pick up some non-medicated chicken pieces. The kids wanted to go to the paper store, which I can never resist. They each chose a seal with their initial on it and some sealing wax. My back was happy and so were my knees. Once we got back to their place I sat for about 3 hours and neither my knees or my back was happy with that scenario.

I'm thinking that when you get to the beach and you can just walk at your own pace, for as much or as little as you want, your knees and back will be happier. I just went and looked at Google maps at the coast of Virginia. WOW - you've got a lot of beach to choose from! I wish we had headed south of the border on our cross Canada road trip but just seeing the breadth of our own country took us 3 1/2 months.

I'll touch base before you leave Sunday!
 
@SuperSnapper - well, you inspired me today with your recent 2.5 mile walk. I've had my nose in my weaving and hadn't moved much for a couple of days - and I could feel it. I talked hubby into going over to a local park for a walk. There was a marked out trail that added up to 5 km so I just started walking it. It was a push but I did it and ended up walking a tiny bit over 3 miles! So, thank you!

Hugs back at you over the Pole.
 
Are you home yet @ljrfrm???? Did you have an awesome time walking the beach and breathing in the fresh Atlantic air?
 
@Threads Well done for the walk - 3 miles! Fantastic! You must have felt such a sense of satisfaction and now you know you can do it, the world is at your feet. I find if I sit at my computer for too long, my knees complain so walking is a great way to ease out the stiffness.

It's the motivation that's the problem for me - natural indolence rules but I am trying to fight that. It's getting easier now that the weather is a bit less wet and cold here. I'm trying to walk for at least 1/2 hour most days and fit in the gym 3 times a week. Now my blip is over, I have no excuse.

Happy walking!
 
Wow, a three mile watch?? Go @Threads!!! I am so happy to hear about your nice walk!! I think (hope) we are all going to be enjoying those type of walks now that the weather is getting better!! The beach was great - it was relaxing, the weather was mostly amazing (low 70's, pretty sun, nice breeze) and delicious food. Today it's back to work - luckily the students are off today so it will help ease me back into reality. I sure wish I had a view of the beach from my office window - then again, I wish I had a window in my office with any kind of view!!!
 
Sore today - mostly my back. I did a fair amount of work in the garden, weeding, pruning and spreading manure. It looks happier and ready for summer. I should learn to pace myself - I either overdo it or sit with my nose in my weaving, reading or whatever else distracts me. When you find the secret for motivation - please pass it on @SuperSnapper!

Too bad you don't have a view of the beach out your window @ljrfrm but then maybe it wouldn't be so special. My post retirement part-time/full time job was event staffing and I either worked on my computer in the basement at home or in an office in the building I'd worked in during my real working life. However, this office had four walls, no windows and it was our only office, so no change of scene unless I went to the loo! That was one of the reasons I finally really "retired" just shy of 70 ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom