Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 hours is still an impressive accomplishment - even if you had a cane :)
 
@Threads you are so right about melding personalities. My two sons ,unlike yours, look very alike. When our grandaughter Maddy aged 5 months met Her uncle for the first time he was standing next to her Dad and she was looking from one to the other checking them out and looking very puzzled! However, they are really quite different in character and personality and interests but , like me, they are both photographers! One is a scientist, one an historian, one more serious, the other a natural comic but both wonderful.

Hope the sleep is going well. I find on days when I do more, I sleep less. That's a puzzle.
 
Thank you for the video. I will not try this for a very long time, just wanted to see how they were getting up. More curious than anything.

And yes, even with a cane 2 hours is amazing. I hope someday I will be able to do that, with or without a cane. It has been years since I was able to stand that long.
 
12 Week Report - where has the time gone!!

I went to our GP on Friday morning and was released from having to go back to see her, until I need to for a different issue. I was going on a regular basis while I was still on oxycodone, but that is now history. Friday afternoon I went to out-patient PT at my rehab hospital. Kate was pleased with my progress - she doesn't really measure past 120 ROM because they believe that's the important number. I'm there in both knees. I've reached 0 extension in my left knee but am shy of it in my right. However, I feel that my ROM is beyond that in both because I do squats in the pool and I seem to be able to get quite low, for me. I told her I could now get up and down off the floor, so she gave me some new exercises for the floor and pool. My right leg continues to be stronger than my left, so I've been working on building up my left this week. I go to PT again Friday, so I'll see if I've had any success - I've certainly tried ;-)

The weekend proved to me how far I've come in the last 12 weeks. Just prior to surgery, I remember being out shopping and bumping into neighbours. I stood for a few minutes and then said that I need to move over to a railing so I could hold on. That only lasted a short time and I had to tell them I had to go. I just couldn't stand any longer. Saturday - on a shopping expedition with our granddaughter - I walked for 3 hours, using a cane, in and out of stores in our mega mall. At one store, someone called as I was leaving and asked if the cane they were holding up was mine! Of course it was. I'd hung it on the counter while I paid for something, and walked out without it. Sunday, she had a soccer game (there was a sleepover in between) and we got her to her soccer field in time for her warm up and then stayed for the game. I stood for 2 hours, with a cane. Again, something I couldn't even dream of doing prior to surgery. Granted, on both occasions I anticipated some discomfort and had taken a 5 mg. Oxycodone to help me get through, the only time I've taken it in the past week.

Those are my milestones this week. I'm getting in and out of the van without the stool, most of the time. My legs are sore today because I exercised last evening and again first thing this morning. I think I overdid it. I still haven't driven. I have a very willing husband who is quite happy to drive me and not as happy about me getting behind the wheel. However, it will happen this week! All in all, I'm very pleased with this past week of recovery.
 
@SuperSnapper - family resemblance is strange. When my aunts used to come and visit us when I was growing up - they were always being called by my mother's name, if they were out about the town. People thought the three of them looked so much alike, but I never could see it!

We're planning a camera day tomorrow and ignoring the rain. We're going to head to our local, small conservatory just to give the cameras a test run. I'm stronger now than I was last time and we have a "found" day. A meeting I was supposed to be at was cancelled so we can play!
 
It is so amazing how far you have come in 12 weeks. Your hard work is definitely paying off!! Great job!
 
@Threads
Great set of achievements for this week. The same thing happened to me with the cane. The shop assistant looked at me as if I was a total fraud! But it just proves how that subconsciously you really can rely on your new knees. They are strong!
Have a lively day with your cameras. You really have earned it. Let me know when you post on Flickr .
Massive wave via the Pole. Sandra's new knees rock!
 
@SuperSnapper - we headed out in a downpour to go to the conservatory. It was a successful trip in several ways - just not the photography one. It was so dark, that even though I adjusted for it and the new cameras are amazing with noise - it was too much for photos or the photographer. However, I did go out for the first time without my cane and I was able to stand, bend and move around to get at what I wanted. I was also able to balance things while I changed lenses. I wasn't totally comfortable without the cane, but having it would have added a challenge I didn't need. Next time without the cane will be easier.
 
I forgot my cane at the car dealership - I too thought they must think I'm a fraud.

Great job without the cane!
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your outing and managing without the cane is great. New cameras take a while to get used to before you get the best out of them. But you went out, with camera and took photos, brilliant leap forward! I'm reminded of the Doctor Seuss poem "oh the places you'll go and the people you'll see" but he wasn't thinking of knees! The world lies ahead of you now! This surgery is life altering stuff isn't it

You're off to great places !
Today is your day!
Your mountain up is waiting!
So get on your way!

I love that poem. I use to read it to my year 6 kids when they left for secondary school but it fits us too!
 
It doesn't pay to overdo. Will I learn my lesson this time? I did floor exercises before I went to bed last night, got up this morning and did an extra long workout in the pool. I'm moving faster and have more exercises I want to accomplish in the water. Then I had PT this afternoon. I'm feeling it! One positive thing about today was that when I got home from PT, I decided to finally try to get into the driver's side and see how I felt behind the wheel. Getting in today was a bit of a challenge because I'm sore, but driving was easy. It's an automatic so much less challenging than a standard. Quiet weekend ahead and looking forward to it.
 
@Threads So what are all the exercises you are doing in the pool now?? Curious, as I'm planning to go tomorrow and would love to add more.
 
Happy Saturday, @ljrfrm!

OK - here goes - this is all in just above waist, warmish water.

I start off walking as fast as I can across a section of the pool, 5 return trips each - forwards, backwards and sideways, always forcing my legs fast against the resistance of the water.

There is a bench under water at the end of the pool so I sit there and do a series of exercises. I'm doing all these to strengthen my legs and to help get the last bit of extension. Not necessarily what you need to do:

1. Standing and sitting slowly, with my hands in front. 12 repeats x 3
2. Kicking my leg out as fast as I can against the resistance of the water. 12 repeats x 3
3. Putting my right leg that needs more extension up on the bench, pressing down on the knee and holding 6 seconds. 12 repeats x 3

There is a wall at the end of the bench that separates the forced water flow from the regular pool. Now I stand and balance, holding onto that and do the following - 12 repeats x 3 for each leg:

1. Lifting legs up to waist line in front.
2. Legs straight back.
3. Lift legs diagonally sideways and slightly backwards.
4. Lift heels towards bottom, keeping knees side by side.
5. Squats holding about 6 seconds.
6. Stand on toes and stretching holding about 6 seconds.

Then, if I have time and there is room in the channel (people like to stretch out in front of the jets - however they are usually very thoughtful and move slightly, out of my way), I walk as fast as I can against the current. I do that a few rounds and then I'm done.

I added a stretch yesterday, thinking of you and your stretches. What stretches do you do???

Thanks for making me think this through and write it down in one place. It's a conglomeration of exercises given to me by rehab at different times. Kate has added some to work on my strength and I realized I'd already been given one, but hadn't been doing it!
 
Sounds like a great set of exercises. My pool doesn't have a bench unfortunately. It sounds like you have a great pool for rehab. Mine is unfortunately a bit too deep but I still manage to make it work. I thought once about going to the kids pool but that one is a bit too shallow. I might actually see how I do swimming some laps. Mostly I just want to use the pool to stretch, and get the legs moving and the blood flowing. They've canceled all the water fitness classes (they have bad times so always have a poor turnout) except a Sunday 9 am class. Every week I consider going - and then reconsider and stay home drinking coffee instead :)
 
@ljrfrm - quiet Sunday morning coffee for a working woman, is very important!

We have a great facility, minutes from home. I'm working out in the Leisure Pool which is warmer and has varying depths to it. If I stay in one part of that pool, I can do my exercises in just above waist depth - there is a shallower section for children. Just on the other side of a walkway is the full sized pool going from shallow to diving board depth. That's where the Aquafit class takes place every weekday morning at 8:00 and it's always full. They also have them on the weekend, just a bit later. I'll get back there someday. Because we are in a high part of the city, on a clear day (like Friday) I can look out a bank of massive windows, while I'm exercising, over to our snow capped north shore mountains with the sunrise warming their peaks. We are very lucky to have that facility in our "hood" - it's one of the best in the city.
 
That sounds perfect - especially the beautiful view. My old gym had a perfect pool - this one not so great. It's more of a lap pool, with just 4 or 5 laps divided off. I can usually find a free lane that I can use for myself, so I don't get into anyone's way. I wouldn't consider this pool warm either - it's not cold but it is chilly when you first get in and if you stop moving around.

I can sign up for water fitness classes through the county at a great pool - but just haven't wanted the extra expense. I might seriously consider it once the weather gets nicer. Right now, I hate the whole getting out of a pool thing - even though it's heated it's still cold.
 
@ljrfrm The main pool isn't as warm, which is good - the Aquafit can be a cardio workout, depending on who's teaching. You get warm pretty quickly. I don't blame you for not wanting to go outside after time in the pool. Here, I wear my capris and Tevas all year long. It can be a bit nippy some days, but mostly it's rainy and we're wet anyway :heehee:. We lucked out and got a deal on an annual pass for the city's rec centres - that covers the pool and aquafit as well. We were able to opt out while I had my surgery and early recovery, so that extends our pass for an extra 2 months.

I wear water runners which makes swimming hard on my knees. I'll give it a go, without the runners, when I feel ready for the full meal deal in the other pool. I'm sore today because I didn't do anything yesterday - not even ice. Guess I should have at least done that!
 
@Threads The pool and the deal you have sounds perfect. I went to the gym today but didn't feel like getting into the pool (again) so just biked.......I went about 45 minutes (5 miles) in the cardio cinema room while watching Oceans Twelve. Came home and iced.....and am now real stiff but glad I went. I have taken the last week or two off and miss moving.
 
You just said that word again - bike! I've had a friend here today chatting and knitting and haven't done any exercises. However, I did pick her up at our rapid transit station and drove her back. First serious driving today. Another friend mentioned a good series on Netfix - maybe that will encourage me to get on and ride a bit longer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom