Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - back from the pool and currently drinking my smoothie. I read your post before I headed to the pool this morning, so I paid attention to where the height of the water was. They call it the Leisure Pool but it's almost wading pool depth at one end and goes to mid-hip depth at the deepest section of where I do my exercises. It's also the pool where the babies and children learn to swim and get to play, they're just usually not around at the time of day we go. I'm short, 5’4". I think the only thing that's important is that your legs are in water - that way you get the resistance. The top of me does get cold, the air is heated but there are floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides of the pool - so I think sometimes it depends on the outside air. Today it was 4°C on our way to the pool, that's 39°F, which probably seems positively balmy to you, but the air surrounding the pool was a tad nippy this morning. The big pool is usually turned into swimming lanes, when there isn't a fitness class happening there, so I couldn't do my workout there at a convenient time. Hope this helps.
 
@Threads Thanks for checking. I used the main pool previously and as long as I stayed in the shallowest section - it worked for me. But- maybe I will try the kiddie pool to compare. That is, IF I ever get back into my bathing suit. It will be spring again someday - so at some point maybe I will. :)
 
This was a busy but "almost feeling normal" week for me! I was out every day, getting caught up and spending time with friends. Drove myself most places I went this week except downtown and used transit to get there. Went to my Guild meeting and sat comfortably through a long meeting. Finally got my hair coloured and cut and had my last but one, PT appointment. I'll see my PT one more time in about a month. However, the fatigue is always close at hand to remind me that I've come a long way, but I'm not there yet!
 
You are progressing well. It's lovely to feel that sense of independence, isn't it? Don't get over tired though- it took me three days last week to feel ok again after I did a bit much. However, the reason you went through all the stuff was to enjoy life and it seems you are doing just that. Those beaches are waiting for you.
I've started back at most things. It's been fun too. The knee aches a bit but that's the pay off. This week I'm doing a whoe day's course on Photoshop - all that sitting will test the knee big time!
I was interested to know what the Guild is , does?
Whatever you do have fun and take care.
Big hugs via Pole xxxx

Mary
 
@Threads Sandra it is nice to see how well you are doing...something about the 3 month mark and the subtle but wonderful changes it brings.....see the future differently without the pain and doubt that we had before the surgery.....All the best to you..

Vinny
 
@SuperSnapper - I understand the fatigue, it's just not ready to go away yet! I had muscle fatigue for a couple of days this week, but that was a good sign, my quads were responding to what I put them through. Sitting for lengths of time is still difficult. Maybe you can sit somewhere where you can occasionally stand and stretch? We use Lightroom and occasionally, I'll use Elements if I want to use layers or add text to a card photo. There is so much more depth in editing with Photoshop - it should be fun to learn how to make the most of it.

A Guild in today's world is just a gathering of likeminded people. Ours is a "Spinners and "Weavers" Guild but we are people who dabble in all things textile. Spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting, surface design and on and on. Some members of our Guild are professionals and some are brand new at their chosen craft. Most are somewhere in the middle, like me. We enjoy seeing what others are creating and sharing information and we normally have a speaker at our meetings. This week we had a textile conservator. I have some of my great grandmother's handmade lace, so I was happy to learn how to clean it and where to find the archival quality materials, should I decide to mount some of them. The problem always is - is there someone in the following generations who would be interested in the beautiful handwork!

Well, I gave you more than you asked for ;-) Have fun at your workshop! Hopefully you'll get a good handout or something to help you remember all the information poured into you during that short of a period! Let me know how it goes.

Big hugs back at you over the Polar Route!
 
@vinny - you are doing so well too! I followed your adventures in NYC in the snow and doubt that I could have managed what you did. At least someone else shoveled it for you - but walking on frozen streets can be treacherous. I was totally impressed with your stamina during your adventure and the joy you took in being there! Well done "Poster Boy"!
 
@Threads YEY Sandra - sounds like you really have your life back now - sitting for long periods and an outing to the hair dresser:yes!: I'm very happy for you... keep taking care of you - cheers Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 - you'll be there before you know it! Welcome home! I found rehab gave me a powerful kick start at recovery and you've had the same benefit. Stairs and getting up from a low surface are still challenges. It's way too soon for you yet, but do you have a good pool nearby wher you can do some of your exercises? It certainly has helped me. Also, your rehab facility sounded fabulous. Mine was part of our public health system and was far from fancy!
 
@Threads I love reading your posts. Sorry for such a delay- life has been a little busy. The kids have been off school the last two days for "wintery mix" weather. People here don't drive well with ice or snow on the roads. I've driven in ice and snow in Alaska and Michigan, and I avoid inexperienced drivers for my own safety!

Thankfully no one but the toddler was in the room when I did my floor routine. I haven't seen the video, but I can put a little pressure on my knees and I lean sideways and walk myself up with my hands. It isn't very pretty but it works!

I think skilled nursing visits sound like what you described. They would be intermittent visits to check medical status, draw blood for tests, etc. I've applied to several hospice agencies also but no replies yet. I'm actually getting a bit depressed. I turned 50 last week and my joints feel better than they have in years, but only the "desperate" agencies will give me a chance. I'm beginning to wonder if I should get out of nursing. Sorry to ramble...just needed a little pity party.

You sound like you're doing great- keep having fun!
 
@PuppyLove It sounds like you get up as gracefully as I do Chris, but I don't use my knees. Granted I've been a bit lazy over the last few days and haven't done the floor exercises. I went to the pool yesterday and will go again in the morning, so I'm counting on that to keep me moving forward.

The right job is out there for you, you'll just have to be patient until it comes up. Can you volunteer at a facility that interests you? That might give you an "in" at a hospice, for instance. Also, can you do agency nursing of the kind you are interested in? Our skilled nursing visits are either through our provincial health system and are therefore government jobs or through an agency. You've got 15 years to be able to share your special gift with others, so hang in there - the right job will find you!

I grew up in Quebec and when I first lived on the "wet" coast, I was blown away at how people here reacted to a little bit of snow. They just don't know how to drive in it. Of course, I didn't learn how to drive until after I was married and living out here, so I rely on transit in the snow :heehee:. It's a rare occurrence here, our daffodils are almost done and camellias and rhododendrons are coming into bloom. We are have a very early spring.

How is your fatigue level - do you still tire easily? It's something I'm still frustrated with!

Keep me posted on how you are doing.
 
Morning @Threads . You do have a really early spring - our daffodils are not out yet - just lots and lots of snowdrops. We went into the Yorkshire Dales on Saturday and in one very old church graveyard there was a carpet of snowdrops. It's also still pretty cold . Iwas shivering taking photos the other day.

Yesterday, I did the whole day course on learning Photoshop and am still pretty confused but a bit more confident to have a go with things. I sat for a whole day at a table with about 4 get ups to stretch and the knee only complained a tiny bit. I was very pleased with it. I'll post a couple of the photos I worked on to Flickr later.

I'm sure your stamina will return but I was told it could take 6 months even for my PKR. So you are doing pretty well after your experience with two knees. I'm still having a lie down each afternoon - I think I could just about manage without it but I make myself do it.

Thanks for the I formation on the Guild. I think we have similar groups but just named differently. Your grandmothers lace will be a real treasure. My mum did embroidery but I only have one piece she made for me as she gave most work away as gifts. She was very skilled but I can't do it as she did.

Polar hugs speeding your way x

PS we are bad drivers in the snow too! Everyone panics and the schools close if we get more than a couple of inches, the country grinds to a halt!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads Our lack of snow driving skills allows me to have those much appreciated days off from work, so I can't complain. That said, I am jealous of your early spring, and look forward to spring arriving here. It was -2 when I left for work yesterday - just way too cold for where I live.

I had a good workout at the gym yesterday - working on balance on the bosu ball (my balance is now better than it was pre-surgery) and doing floor exercises, stretches, etc. I didn't do anything strenuous, and didn't put any strain on my knees. I am doing way less than I did a few months ago (which is depressing in itself) but am still so stiff and achey following my sessions. I feel like I'm going in circles and no way to move forward. That said, I know one of these days I'll realize I feel better so I just have to have in there.

@PuppyLove Hang in there, the perfect job is out there for you. I know when I was looking for nursing care for my dad, I was so relieved to find a skilled nurse who cared about him, you will make families very thankful for your skills and support.
 
@SuperSnapper - your workshop sounds wonderful. I found one of the best ways to learn a computer programme is to learn what it's capable of doing, which you will have done in your workshop. Now you have the fun of figuring out how to do all the things you know it can! I love your photo of the orchid. Looking forward to seeing some of the Yorkshire Dales.

We were just over at our botanical garden but not with our cameras but to pick up manure! I need to get out there but there always seems to be something that gets in the way.

Actually, you have a lot of Guilds for weavers, spinners and dyers, etc. in the UK. There is a national association of all the guilds that produces one of the best publications on these subjects. Our Guild subscribes to it and we keep copies in our library. Check it out :). https://www.wsd.org.uk/guilds-map.php

It sounds like you are doing a good job of pacing yourself. We're training in a new mattress and I don't think it quite likes me yet, hence the extra fatigue.

Bug hug back via the polar route!
 
@ljrfrm - you gave me a challenge and a reason to download another app for my iPad ;-) The conversion apps I have couldn't handle the "-". So I've got one that can and I can now somewhat relate to what -2°F is. It's almost -20°C. I used to only think in Fahrenheit but now I can only relate to Celsius when it comes to weather. I cook using Farenheit - a crazy country I live in - a lot of our equipment is built for the NA market which largely uses Farenheit, our recipes are the same also using US cups, etc. but our weather, gas purchases, "mileage", vegetable and meat purchases (anything bought by weight and/or packaged in Canada) is all metric. Sorry, I got on one of my rants!

Things do change with our healing and is certainly isn't a straight path! I've got an almost constant ache in my left leg below the knee - all the way down. It affects my sleep and my determination to do stairs properly! I have no idea what I've done to bring that on but I'm assuming it will disappear the way it came, with patience on my part. I did my workout at the pool this morning and then slipped into the aquafit class for the last 15 minutes of upper body work and stretches. I wonder when I can go back to the regular class. In order to benefit I'd have to do a fair amount of running in place for the cardio benefit. Maybe I should wait and ask my PT when I see her for my final appointment in about 3 weeks.

Are you taking any pain meds at all to make it easier to live with your current issues? You may have mentioned it but I still have a sieve for a brain, some of the time. I'm hoping that when the cold and snow go away, things will improve for you. A little warmth might work miracles :fingersx:

You'll be over the hump of the week by the time you read this and very close to the end of February. I know March brings the beginning of slush but hopefully it won't be horrible.

Take care!
 
@Threads I have difficulty converting F to C also - when we are visiting relatives in Europe I have to look it up. I do know what 32* F is though in C :) We're getting more snow tomorrow - could it be a day off??

This recovery is full of strange aches and pains. I just feel "heavy" and kind of "clunky" now. Both knees are still really popping since PT last week - whatever she loosened up in there really did a number on me. I can bike for a long time with no pain but the second I stop I'll get tight and uncomfortable and hurt more on stairs. I try to not do too much to rest the knees but I still feel the same. Who knows. I'm just taking it day by day and trying to work through it. My trainer at the gym is leaving this Friday so next week I start with someone new. I'm not happy about that - as she knows everything I have been through - and this knew one will have to learn what I can and can't do, etc. Oh well. I do take an occasional Tramadol at night but not much. I also take a muscle relaxer every now and then when I feel so tight. Tonight I am sitting here (in my recliner of course) and I feel my hamstrings and IT bands just completely in knots. The repercussions of missing my massage last Saturday.

I was ready an article my son sent me on a college football player rehabbing his knee. He is running with an underwater treadmill. I decided that's exactly what I need - an underwater treadmill. How great would that be! Wonder how much that would cost me and where I'd buy it. Oh, I also need to put in a pool here probably to get it installed.
 
@ljrfrm - oh well, things like figuring out F and C are sent to challenge us! Somehow, whether the temperature is in F or C when you are out in it doesn't seem to matter but when you said it was -2 today, I had to figure out what it would feel like. We spent Christmas in Edmonton (east of the Rockies in central Alberta) couple of years ago. One day my sister-in-law and I went for a walk at -15°C / 5°F. I don't know what the windchill factor was that day but I was cold. I don't have winter clothes, we don't need them here. I put a layer or two under my Gortex jacket, and out we went. It was a quintessential Canadian Christmas because it was so beautiful and peaceful in the snow as we walked and when we rounded the corner we saw a group of men playing hockey on an ice rink they had made in a school yard. I'll remember that walk for the rest of my life. I know, it's everyday life for you this year!

I just googled IT bands on the Internet, again, and this time I found an article which said it's a problem cyclists often have. "If you consider a cyclist pedaling at a moderate cadence of 90 rpm, that would equate to 180 slides per minute. On a two-hour ride, the ITB will cross the knee 21,600 times!". Do you think the stationery bike might be aggravating the issue? Just a thought. Your PT sounds a lot more "hands on" than mine. Basically, she only touches me to support me in an exercise she is showing me or when she's measuring me.

I like the pool idea! All you need to do is build an addition onto your house, and stick a good sized pool in it. Make sure it's heated for year round use, and get an underwater treadmill installed at one end. That way you could go to the pool everyday, without getting cold, and do your exercises in the water. Brilliant!!! Who needs to go on a cruise when you could swim everyday of the year. Oh, while you are at it, make sure that the glass windows can be opened up during the nice weather so you can sit in a lounge chair by the pool with your G&T. On a serious note, interesting that they do running in the water for rehab. Hummmmm

Fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow, and even if you don't get it two more days to the weekend.
 
@Threads and @ljrfrm how's about mph and kph? I still don't know if I should speed up or slow down....we are in kph and when I first moved here I got 3 speeding tickets as my speedometer was mph....going 40 mph in a 35 kph is a no no....:no-fin:

Vinny
 
@Threads Good thought about the bike, but honestly I haven't been exercising very much at all. I do a few minute warm up before I work with the trainer (5-10 min max) and I had maybe one or two days here or there over the last few weeks I went to the gym another time. The trainer is only 2 days a week. I really have cut back on everything. Given I'm trying to lose weight - and I felt so good when I was active a few weeks ago, it's frustrating that I don't feel any better with cutting back. It will be interesting to see what my OS says next week. As for PT, she is much more hands on this time around - mainly because she's convinced my issues are related to the tight IT bands causing tendon issues. Also, she has given me the exercises to do with my trainer and then I only see her 1x a week.

@vinny Don't even get me started on kph! I've given up on that! I do have the weight down though - as everytime we visit family in Europe I eat so much, I gain weight and I use their scale on a regular basis (bad move) just to make myself feel bad, LOL. I can pretty easily calculate the 2.2 difference in my head as I'm downing my pastry! I remember way back in elementary school learning the metric system because everyone said the US would change over soon! Obviously, that never happened so I filed that information away into the "do not need" category in my brain!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom