Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SuperSnapper - I'm jealous, you were able to get out and drive. I know I can drive, I just can't climb into the van without using the bench to climb in. I can get out, but that does me very little good if I can't go the other way. Combination of two things - basically I'm short and my legs won't lift me yet. I had no trouble prior to surgery but my leg muscles must have become weaker while my knees got most of the attention. Doug will drive me anywhere I want but I'd like the independence. Getting impatient :-( Enough of my whining, I'm doing so well otherwise. Glad you made it to the pool and gym.

I'll see what the snaps look like on my Mac - if one is not too bad, I'll post it. The Northern Flicker is a beautiful woodpecker. They have interesting markings and when they fly away they show this gorgeous flash of golden orange from under their wings and tails. The Piliated Woodpecker is like Woody Woodpecker from the comics and they are quite big. I think the one that visits us is a teenager.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@fiberlady - the bread smelled good. I agree though, it would have been good with marmalade. Your hubby's comment was hilarious - but probably not far from the truth. Just imagine how the border crossings would react to a sticky substance crashing to the ground at super speed and sending shards of glass everywhere. It would have been an international crisis and front page news on all the media. :loll:

Hope your warp went well. I'm back to the drawing board - I think the twill would make too heavy a summer scarf - lace maybe?

Take it easy on that leg.
 
@meewee - I'm so glad that the MUA on both your knees is sending messages of success!

We have had so many Goldfinches this year - I don't think they migrated. I guess they knew we were going to have a milder winter. They come in such numbers, can empty our feeder tube within a week, and waste a good portion of it and it's a big tube! The others that come in a flock to our suet are the Bushtits. They are tiny balls of fluff, about the same size as hummingbirds but fluffy instead of sleek. We have hummingbirds too, all winter. We don't have dogs or cats but I love the bird theatre that takes place out our window.

I love your idea of shipping a jar a marmalade to BoneSmarties! It would be interesting to follow it :)
 
@Threads Just dropped in to say hi. I got my snow day today. I've been relaxing, then cleaning, and now I'm off to the gym soon.

I know you have a hard time getting into the van. When I was about where you are in recovery, my friend drove me to PT. She had a little teeny tiny sports car - I had the hardest time getting out of it. Your strength will come back - each day you are doing more and more. For now, enjoy the Driving Miss Daisy treatment :)
 
@SuperSnapper and @meewee - I'm hoping this will work. I'll try to post the snap (can't really call it a photo) of the two birds, side by side. Northern Flicker on the left and the Paliated Woodpecker on the right. I played with the photo in Lightroom to crop the curtain and the bird decals and try to make it sharper from having been taken through double glazed windows ;-)

[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ljrfrm - thank you once again! You can always get me back to realistic expectations and feeling like I'm doing OK, just need to be patient.

I'm really happy you got a snow day - this way it breaks up the week. Have a good workout at the gym.
 
@Threads I had a great session at the gym. Still taking it easy on my poor knees. We worked on balance today - and some quad exercises, but nothing that put any strain on my knees.

Love the photo you posted!
 
Love the photo of the birds, especially the woodpecker, the last few days we have had more squirrels than birds at the feeder.

When hubby took me to PT on Monday a car parked really close to the passenger door and it was quite tricky trying to get that leg to bend enough to get into the car. Tomorrow I will be driving myself for the very first time. Luckily there is not a lot of traffic and is not very far.

Warp is going on, I feel very satisfied, the leg is propped up and I have my pain meds.

Hope you have been able to get your RLS under control.
 
@ljrfrm - that's great. What do you do for quads? I've been doing my squats in the pool.

I've got two more sessions of out-patient physio. I need to be motivated and we have a rec centre within a short walk. The pass for the pool gets me into the fitness centre there. I think I'll ask my PT is there is something I could do there to build up my leg strength. I did dig out my ankle weights today, but their not doing me any good - they are sitting on the dining room table. No energy today and we are going to go out into the 'burbs tonight for a high school drama performance. I think I have "Doug Cold Lite" - more energy draining than dripping, sneezing and all the nasty stuff that hit him. I've had some of that but not as intense as his.

Any chance of another snow day tomorrow - the reports we are getting sound grim.
 
@fiberlady - how was your PT? You were worried. Glad to hear you can drive yourself - don't hurt your knee in the process.

Actually, both birds in the photo are woodpeckers. I was amazed when I saw them sharing the same territory. Congratulations on making progress with your warp. I've had a down day. I've had RLS for years, just hoped that it would magically disappear after surgery. I had a bad session last night and I ended up taking a couple of doses of my remedy and spins on the recumbent bike. After that, I slept well.
 
@Threads Roads are fine here - most of the storm missed us. We have some ice, so possibly a delay but no way it will be another snow day. I have my first PT tomorrow so only a 1/2 day of work. Lots to do in a little bit of time - love the days off but the work still waits :)

Today at the gym I did some floor exercises, bridges, and some things with a ball down on the mat. Also did some machines (i.e hip flexor machine) where she had me do some variations of lifts for the quads. Hard to explain but they are tired now so the exercises must have worked!

Hope you don't get the cold - not nice of Doug to share with you! At least it was the "Lite" version.
 
Week 11 Report

I know it's not officially until tomorrow but I just had to report tonight!!!

I did it, I did it!!!! We were at our eldest granddaughter's school drama event tonight - she did a great job and yes, I am biased. Since it was broken up into one act plays, and hers was the first, we slipped out after hers was done. I could not have sat on those folding chairs much longer. Anyway, we hadn't had supper because we needed to be on the road to get to her school before 6:00. When we left the school, I told Doug I wanted to try getting into the back if the van without using the stool. We weren't going far. It worked! So after supper, I told him I wanted to try getting into the passenger seat without the step stool. I used my right leg, which put me in a different position, but I was able to turn around and sit down! I did it! So, I don't see a problem getting into the drivers side, because it's more natural leading with your right! :egypdance:

It's been a quieter week because of germs but I did go to the pool Monday and will go again tomorrow. I'm finding it really helps.

I think I've only had one 5mg. tablet of oxycodone this week and have cut back considerably on my Tylenol, so I'm happy with that.

No PT to report on this week - I go on Friday after seeing my GP so that will be in my 12 week report. I just can't believe that I'm approaching that milestone.

Now, @ljrfrm - you see why I couldn't wait to write my weekly report :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads. I am so, so pleased you can drive again, makes such a lot of difference to have your independence again, even though Doug, I'm sure, has been a star. Really good news! Good report on the meds too.

Thanks for the Flicker photo. It's a handsome bird and now I know what one looks like. I'm trying to learn to use Lightroom properly too but it's such a complex program, I get a bit bored sitting there for too long.

Hope the cold is not too bad and the RLS is getting a bit easier.

Gym again today for me as Mr P is out walking again today. There was a discussion on @Ellejay about geting up from the floor after new knees and a video to watch posted by @gr82cu2 so I'm going to try it. The video shows a 77 year old man who had BTKR getting up with ease! Well, I tried the other day but couldn't do it and ended shuffling on my Bottom to the top of the stairs! However now I've seen the video, I'm going to give it another shot. :rotfl::heehee: It could be hilarious! But worth a try. Ellejay's done it!

Have a wonderful day xx
 
@Threads I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you! First of all, you were able to go enjoy your granddaughter's event at school - and sit in a folding chair! And then, to climb into the van and know that you have you independence back! You are slowly reclaiming your life back from your knees!!! I think your work in the pool is really helping - makes me think I should get back into the pool. I've been lazy with that as it's so cold out. But, pool work is such great exercise because you can stretch, strengthen and work out without placing strain on those knees. Probably just what I need to do too! See, you inspire me :) Great update and congrats on the new found freedom!
 
@SuperSnapper - thank you for pointing out @Ellejay's thread on getting up from the floor! Thank you also @gr82cu2 and @Yorkimom for sharing the visuals and description. I did it! I can see BoneSmartie bums all over the world rising up to thank you. Now, that's another visual :loll: Maybe yoga can come back into my life, it's been missing for years. What a way to celebrate week 11!
 
@ljrfrm - thanks - again, for being on my cheering squad! I'm glad you weren't at the school last night, watching me getting up out of that silly chair;-)

I feel that I'm improving in leaps and bounds - well not literally ;-) I had a good workout in the pool this morning and my acupuncture this afternoon. My nerve issue seems to be settling down. On the whole my right leg is stronger but I can't bring my right foot anywhere near my left knee. I was trying to put foam "weights" on this morning to give more resistance. I could do it on my left but not on my right. I know - it's all a work in progress! Then I tried to get down on the floor this afternoon and get up again, following the posts that @SuperSnapper pointed out and I could do it!

Hope you are home, relaxing in your recliner after your busy day. How did PT go???
 
@Threads Great job getting up from the floor. I still have to think when getting up and down, and I wouldn't call myself graceful-but it's doable. You ROM will continue to improve. I was happily surprised at PT that my ROM has continued to improve this past month - even with my swelling. Thanks for asking about PT - I'll go update my thread next.

I'm in my recliner - I'm fed, iced and now I'm sitting on my heating pad trying to loosen up my hamstrings. Can't complain though :)
 
@Threads your Bonesmart bums Made me laugh! What a great photo opportunity. Please get Doug to video your rise from the floor with your new camera and post it. I couldn't manage to get up the way the man did but did find an alternative method. Not as elegant but I made it. Had to kneel on my new knee but it felt alright.
Anyway, really pleased you can do it. What great strides you've made this week! Driving and getting up from the floor. Wow!
The gym was good yesterday, increasing how far I do on the bike and some extra weights but all really gradual. Seems good so far and the short walk there and back does me good.
I'm off out to camera club tonight for our AGM so another step towards normality.
Have a wonderful day.
Mary x:froggies:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom