Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rom 120 is great! Muscle strength in your legs is so important, you probably lost a lot of it when you were suffering with two bad knees, I know I did, lost even more when the hip went, so the right leg has very little muscle strength and I am hoping that PT can work on strengthening both legs. Your recovery amazes me, just think 10 weeks ago you had both knees replaced and today you are walking around without that awful knee pain, this pain is different than the pain we experience when our knees hurt. For me after I had my hip and knee done, I told the doctor it was such a pleasure to be able to get out of a chair without extreme pain.

A good sign that you can focus for longer than a few minutes. I am waiting for that to happen to me so that I can at least get through one paragraph of a book without reading it 10 times.

Good Job! :wow:
 
Sandra and @fiberlady OS said that he is happy why people get to 120 and you don't need much more...you will probably increase when you are walking normally and going up and down..whole new life without the fear of yanking the tablecloth off in a resteraunt when trying to stand up...10 weeks today so we are 2 days apart....amazing feeling....

Vinny
 
@hbacres I know just what you mean about when you can't do it , you want to! I walk with a group every Wednesday , about 5 miles then we all have lunch in a pub. Exercise and company - it works really well.im looking forward to getting back to it.
@vinny I wouldn't even attempt Kili but lots of people do .
@Threads hope you are having a good day. I'm making marmalade with Seville oranges. It takes a couple of days to make the really dark stuff, it makes the house smell dreadful but it will please Mr P. I don't even eat it - apparently Seville oranges along with gtprapefruit can mess up blood pressure meds!
 
My first day without oxycodone, and DH has come down with the miserable cold that has been going around - 'nuff said.

@SuperSnapper - we were on a textile tour, and were therefore on a defined scedule. Going over the pass was to get us to a town where we stayed and worked with two well known Peruvian weavers for a week, while Doug went off and explored the high jungle with the other non-weavers. When we went to Cusco and Machu Picchu, we stayed in the Sacred Valley at night and were only in high altitude for the day. There is medication for altitude sickness and if you wanted to climb the Machu Picchu trail to the top, it's done over several days, which gives you some time to acclimatize. If you want active, this is active. BTW, you camp on the way up. We took the bus :heehee:. We loved Peru (except Lima).

Your cycling tour seemed to be in manageable bites with lots of time for relaxing pleasure. Do you have photos on Flickr - I'll have to check.

@ljrfrm - in another life, I would love to walk the Camino de Santiago! I have known people who have done it and found it absolutely amazing. Around here, hiking means a lot of up - and up means down ;-) My goal is to walk as far as I can on Long Beach in Pacific Rim National Park this summer. I could barely walk on the beach last summer. Long Beach is 10K of beautiful sand, with lots of birds and only has people near the parking lots. One summer my SIL and I walked it 4 times in a week. DH would drop us off at one end and pick us up at the other. I may not walk the 10K this summer, but just to walk more than last year will be a joy! I love your plan to go on a hike to celebrate your one year anniversary. If you are looking forward to beautiful views, it sounds like you plan some up!
 
@vinny - having my ROM at 120 feels so normal! I don't really feel I need more but I know it will come. The extension, particularly on my right leg, still needs work - but it wasn't good pre-surgery. I'll just continue to lie on the bed on my stomach, legs hung over, and let gravity work ;-)

@SuperSnapper - you learn something new everyday on BS. I didn't know that about marmalade, I love it, and I'm on blood pressure meds! Because I'm lazy and haven't liked standing for long periods, I've got at least one tin of Ma Made sitting in the pantry waiting for me to make up. Doug got tempted by a pomelo around Christmas, and we finally ate it. I was waiting for him to tackle it ;-) Interesting fruit, it does taste like grapefruit but I don't know whether I'd buy it again. By the time we ate it, who knows how long it had been off the tree.

@fiberlady - if anything surprised me about the surgery, it was my lack of brain power. I'm back to reading but the "Henry VIII" tome still waits for full recovery! It was so frustrating to take over a month to read a light book! Even knitting or planning a warp was difficult. Slowly, slowly.
 
Sandra for extension I am in my recliner with legs out and toes pointed forward and pressing down on my thighs gently...one leg is 0 and the other is almost there...is there anything cannot do with 120 ROM? The last difficult thing for me was going down stairs which became easier after 100 ROM...I would not lose any sleep over getting to more than 120 it will come in small increments if you keep trying we lose quad strength from the surgery thus the importance of building them up before the surgery if possible...in the interim you are doing great.

Vinny
 
Thanks, @vinny - as you know, going downstairs one step at a time, is still a challenge for me. I've been putting my legs up on the bench in the pool and putting pressure on them. That, and hanging them over the side of the bed, upside down, will - I think - get them there. My right leg of asn't straight prior to durgery, so it's got a bit more of a challenge. That being said - I'm thrilled at where I am now.
 
@Threads Have you read "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel? It's been dramatised by the BBC in 6 parts and is wonderful. The costumes and the lighting is amazing with terrific acting too. No doubt it will be shown in Canada too and I can really recommend it. I read the book which has been very popular but not sure it was me, the dramatisation is great though.
 
@SuperSnapper - no I haven't read that one, the reviews seem quite mixed but I've added it to my "To Read" list on Goodreads. The first "heavier" book I'll read is Ken Follett's "Edge of Eternity" - the final in the trilogy. It's sitting here waiting for my brain to handle that long a read. I'm into lighter fluff right now :heehee:

How's the marmalade coming along? It must be cooling overnight.
 
IMPRESSIVE! Mr. P. Will be very happy. Do you think he would miss a jar? You could send it via the polar route wrapped in a hug ;-)
 
An jar is winging its way to you via the polar route but don't blame me if the jar smashes when it hits the cold air over Greenland!
Sending you a hug anyway. It's tomorrow here so I better get some sleep :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
 
Ooh, that looks delicious @SuperSnapper, and very dedicated of you as you don't eat it yourself. I have my Sevilles on my grocery order for next week, I thought I'd give my knee another week before I tackled such a long job in the kitchen.
I really enjoyed Wolf Hall this week, there seem to have been a few complaints, but there always are. I don't know quite what people expect, I don't think they will be happy until we master time travel and then film it all live!!!
@Threads do read Edge of Eternity, it is just wonderful! It was a bit of a challenge as I got it from the library and was only allowed three weeks, but I did it- before my TKR I must add- I'd never have concentrated enough after. I can just about cope with Jodi Picoult now, but even she is stretching me a bit. Happy reading xxxx
 
Hello @SuperSnapper

Oh those jars are marmalade look gorgeous x x x yummy x most days I have marmalade on toast only a small piece of bread now since I'm trying to cut down and make healthy swaps. Not easy.

I'm banned from the kitchen, I came downstairs, went to walk in and got "the look". The only way I can describe this look is, one of total disdain, complemented with a sneer, completely raised blond eyebrows, his eyes giving me an icy glare with the words "really?" I turned tail. He came in and said I make him a nervous wreck while there's stuff around on the floor. Please could I just stay out the way. So I'm in the living room sitting in his chair.

The kids/grandkids will be here soon. They're going to have to stay in the living room. I was going to cancel them but he said no he should be finished with adjusting the units. The oven and hob have been fitted. They look really nice.

I hope you have a lovely Saturday.

All my love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@SuperSnapper - priceless mistake, oh to familiar to be funny! The marmalade looks too yummy to be just a photo. Sigh, there is no sign of my jar yet - wonder if someone at the North Pole thought it looked to delicious to let fly by :heehee:

I'm doing my nightly wanderings tonight. I looked at the photo the first time I was downstairs looking for some relief but duh, didn't have my glasses on so it didn't click. Our darn cupboard has oxy and Tylenil - nothing else! I searched it's hidden corners but nada, nothing, nowhere. So my rational being at 3:30 that since I'd maxed my Tylenol for yesterday (first day without oxycodone) the only thing I could take was the smallest dose of oxy I had. I need my Tylenol for today. That worked but I'm up now with RLS driving me crazy in my right leg, nothing touches that but my homeopathic remedy and I'm waiting for it to kick in. I'll have to get out and get some ibuprofen today, but DH is sick as a dog with a cold. I'm hoping our closest pharmacy is open so I can walk to it, or I'll have to call a friend for help. I wish I could get into the van by myself, I could manage it if I could always park by a curb.
 
@Ellejay - I've got The Edge of Eternity right here but not sure if my mind is ready to follow and keep the different families apart yet. I knew that a) it wasn't a book I'd find in a second hand bookstore yet and b) I wouldn't likely get it read in the 4 weeks allowed in our closest library - so I smiled sweetly as my DH was heading out to Costco and asked him to peruse the book aisle, just in case they had it a mass produced price. They did!!! I've started a Nick Hornby - About a Boy, (old book but I haven't read it) before a went to sleep last night, not heavy or long ;-) I'm also listening to an audio book so I can get further along with a knitting project. The Edge of Eternity is waiting for my full brain to return. Sounds like I have a long wait - if I go by your experience :sad:
 
@Nana moon 27 - I just popped over to your thread to see what on earth you had been up to but it sounds like you were attempting unassisted flight! Ouch!!!!! Hope you didn't do any damage but a possible bruise and please stay out of the kitchen - it seems like a danger zone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom