Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - I guess it almost time for you to call it a night - what you got of it. What woke you up! Did you overdo it today? It's 3:40 here so at some point I should try to get some more sleep. Tonight we were with eldest son and family - tomorrow evening were with youngest son and family. Not for as long, we're meeting in a restaurant. Hope you can nap in your recliner today.

BTW - I searched swollen ankles on BS and one post it brought me to was your well thought out, 4 month post. I read it again and can relate more now to what you wrote then!
 
@Threads I think I just woke up to go to the bathroom and for some reason couldn't fall back asleep again. I wasn't in pain or any stiffer than normal so I don't think it was my knees - although it could have been. As it's already 7:30 am here, I clearly didn't go back to bed. I may try to take a nap in a few hours when my son and husband leave. Luckily, tomorrow is a day off so hopefully I can catch up on my sleep then...or it will be a long week of work.

Now you make me want to go read my 4 month update to see what I wrote :)
 
@Threads & @ljrfrm mmmmm early mornings. I haven't had my surgery yet but I am with you two. Woke at 3.45... that's it for zzzzzz. Coffee on, jazz playing and I sitting in bed... have done some planning for this week (count down is ON), answered emails and chatted on BS. A straight 8 hours would be great. Perhaps tonight Hope you both had good days, Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 - you are probably running a constant stream of planning and anxiety in the back paths of your mind. Are your knees letting you know they want some attention, while your trying to sleep? All that's all normal. Can you nap during the day? Post surgery, all you'll want to do is sleep and the pain meds will help you. At this stage, my night wanderings are because of discomfort and it's certainly not every night. Up until I started adjusting my meds, most nights I slept like a baby unless I had pushed myself too far the day before. I think that was the reason last night.

I know caffeine doesn't bother some people and I'm gathering you are one of them. However, have you tried camomile or commercial tea blends that help sleep?
 
Up until I started adjusting my meds, most nights I slept like a baby unless I had pushed myself too far the day before.
I had no trouble sleeping until I no loner needed the Oxycontin---but it was interesting---I was never in real pain at night---it was just that I could not get comfortable.

It was not until ab out 3:00 AM, after wandering around the house for hours and playing on the internet and playing games on the computer (pinball)---that I would crash and sleep through my wife getting up and leaving for work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@referee54 - that's exactly what's happening to me now. Last night was the second night without slow release Oxycodone. I already have ongoing sleep issues - Sleep Apnea along with RLS and PLM. I take meds for the last two that help me sleep. Those meds last 4 hours practically on the dot, and that's when I've been waking up. So my wanderings start in the middle of the night and last for an hour or two. Last night I finally took one of my 5 mg break through oxycodone and I was asleep in a little over 1/2 hour. But that's no solution when the whole point of this excercise is to get off oxycodone!

Do you recall how long it took for this stage to pass and when you were finally able to sleep comfortably? I know - silly question, one never remembers when things start happening naturally.
 
Do you recall how long it took for this stage to pass and when you were finally able to sleep comfortably? I know - silly question, one never remembers when things start happening naturally.
It is not a silly question at all---the truth is this---my OS said, on several occasions, that he would write me a script for Ambien. He admitted that he had read a great deal, but nobody really could conclude what caused the sleep issues.

Anyway, I resisted for a while, but, after I returned to the classroom on less than three hours sleep, I finally gave in.

I took the Ambien for ten nights, and that re-established my sleep pattern. no problems since then.
 
@referee54 - thanks. I'm going to hope that I'm luckier that you were in beating getting off oxycodone. It's only night 2 so far. I see my GP in another 10 days, and will hopefully be off the daytime oxycodone as well when I see her. I can ask her then about Tramadol and a sleeping aid - Ambien or something similar. I wonder if melatonin would help.
 
I use melatonin now. And last night I didn't (realized that sometime during today).......maybe be why I have been up since 4 am.
 
@ljrfrm - thanks, again! Melatonin seems like a more natural step to try during the first stages of getting off oxycodone. If I have prolonged issues, then it would seem to be a good idea to look into what worked for @referee54 . I should know where I stand by the time I see my GP in about 10 days. I solved my problem, temporarily, today by brewing a strong cup of espresso - first coffee I've made post surgery!
 
@Threads thanks for the suggestion Sandra, but those "sleepy" teas do not work on me.

@ljrfrm is that melatonin in a tablet form??? I have heard of it before but never followed thru

Hope you both are Ok today - cheers Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 Yes, it's a pill. My son started taking it a few years ago so I decided to try it after asking my doctor about it. Like you, I wanted something natural. I try not to take it too much though because I read some studies about the body becoming dependent on it. So, I use it on occasion when I get into that insomnia cycle. Once I feel I don't need it, I will stop it for awhile. Of course with this surgery, it's all funked out so who knows how long I'll take it.
 
hi @ljrfrm I just had a look on ebay - what strength do you use - 3, 5 & 10mg seem to be the ones on offer - Maggie
 
If I continue to lose sleep, I'll definitely get back in to see her and suggest Tramadol. Is it less addicting and easier on the system?

Tramadol is a step down from any of the narcotic pain relievers. It's considered a "synthetic opiate" because, even though it is not an actual opiate, it acts like one in dealing with pain. Some people find they are a lot more functional when taking Tramadol instead of an opiate (less of a fuzzy head). Some become dependant (not addicted!) when taking the drug regularly for a long period. But usually a week or two of tapering off will enable anyone to get off the drug. Most people do this tapering naturally as they no longer need the Tramadol for pain. You just find yourself forgetting to take it on your schedule and the time between dosages gradually increases.

I'm assuming that it doesn't cause the same gut problems that oxycodone does - the big "C".

Tramadol can cause constipation, though, so you need to be proactive about avoiding that problem with stool softeners, fiber and plenty of water.
 
Thank you, @Jamie - I'll be heading into night 3 without oxycodone in the next few hours. Hopefully, sleep will be my friend tonight. It looks like Tramadol is a good substitute for the oxycodone, I'm hoping to come off the day slow release dose before I see my GP again but even though I have them, I don't want to depend on my break through 5 mg. dose of oxycodone to get through until I see her again.
 
@Threads catching up on your thread today. Looks like the sleep problem and appropriate meds are the biggest issues at the mo but everything else is going well. Not much to say on either of those as I'm unsure about both but a) I hope you soon get the meds sorted and b) sleep becomes less of an issue as its so important and those nights can be very long.
However, you do seem to be doing very well and you thread is full of what you are doing and that's such a positive !
I was hoping to get out with my camera but it's so icy underfoot here and more cold weather to come. I feel such a whimp but I am a bit wary of falling.its set for rain and Atlantic westerlies soon so that means no ice! And I can get out and walk which is really what I need.

I had a busy weekend . Girl grandchildren on Saturday night and as soon as they left the two boys with mum came for the day on Sunday :my husband was out walking with their dad so we entertained them.
So a bit tired today but worth it.

Seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my follow up visit ,two weeks late as Christmas got in the way, but think I'll do alright. Then out into the world! ... erm ..... well very carefully. Oh what larks! Back to Oxfam, camera club, German classes and driving. May even rejoin my singing group but not my walking group yet , that has to wait.

I had a new book for Christmas about locations to take landscape photos in our area which has got my creative juices flowing so hope to be posting on Flickr soon. Loved your shots especially the water droplets on the cobweb. You live In an amazing place!

Have a great day - hugs via the pole
Mary x
 
Been reading through your recovery thread, you are doing really well, sorry about the sleep though. Years ago I tried the melatonin pills, they seemed to work, I didn't even know they still made them. I use the relaxation methods with very calming music to help me relax and fall asleep. I must say that I have not had a problem with either knee surgery with sleeping, I used to study behavior modification years ago and have always used this with meditation to help relax and sleep. Hope you are able to get sleep without pain. I am on hydrocodone (vicodin) every 5 - 6 hours. I have been trying to back off that and then they have me on ibuprofen every 8 hours. sometimes I can get away with just the ibuprofen, but the last few days I have needed something a little stronger. At least this time I can take the meds, they took me off all pain killers at 3 weeks last knee. Hope the sleep gets better for you.
 
Thanks @SuperSnapper and @fiberlady for your posts.

I noticed you were quiet this weekend @SuperSnapper and now I understand why! We saw both our local families this weekend and made plans for sleepovers with the youngest set. I look forward to reading your report from your OS. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. It will be nice when you can get out take part in your various groups and I look forward to seeing your photos inspired by your new Christmas book. I'm looking forward to getting back out with my new camera. The last couple of years prior to surgery, I just couldn't walk to where I wanted to go.

@fiberlady - I used to do yoga before my knees got to the point that the floor seemed as far away as the top of a mountain ;-) I was working then and I loved the years of going straight from work to yoga once a week, it was a great de-stresser. Over the years I've tried meditation and have never succeeded. I can never turn my mind off. I know it's practice, practice, practice. I truly admire my friends who have mastered it, including you. I remember your concern about meds going into this knee replacement. Thank goodness you were able to tolerate the pain meds better this time, even though they might have tempted you to push yourself a bit hard, a bit soon. :)

Last night's sleep was better but still disrupted. Slowly, but surely I'll get through this! I sure didn't feel like heading out to the pool in the dark, at 7:30 this morning but we went. I took the advice of my new physio, Kate and sped up my walking in the pool and other exercises using water resistance to help build muscle strength in my legs. I could feel the results in my legs when I got home, so it must have done some good.

@ljrfrm - I think I'll leave the melatonin for a bit because it's my legs that are waking me up, so I don't think that's the answer right now. Last night my left leg kept cramping and I kept shifting around until finally I got up. Once I was upright, my brain kicked into gear and I realized that ankle pumps would probably help. It did - duhhhhh.
 
Thanks for the nice comments on my thread! It sounds like your adventure has gone fairly smoothly but it certainly is not for the faint of heart! I was out of touch for awhile and now that I'm back at work it's easier to catch up using the pc instead of iphone :)
I can relate to the sleep issues; I haven't slept more than 3-4 hours at a stretch since my surgery. Usually I get up and walk around, grab an ice pack or two and try to go back to sleep while adjusting the ice packs, or sometimes take a pain pill. I have also switched this last week from oxycodone (1-2 5mg tablets two-three times a day) and tylenol (less than 2000 mg day), plus one celebrex in the am. Now I am trying Tramadol (1 50 mg at bedtime), tylenol (about 1500 mg day) and ibuprofen (about 1200 mg a day). I seemed to be getting tolerant of the Oxycodone, and didn't know how the Celebrex was affecting me, so we'll see how it goes. I should maybe consider excederin PM or ? for sleep though. What has worked for you?
Warmest regards,
Meewee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom