Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Night 4 - oxycodone free - slept through except for the occasional need to do ankle flexes on my left leg. I didn't get up once, yeah!!! So, now I'll wait a few days and try stopping my daytime slow release, I have a couple of quiet days over the weekend. However, I certainly don't want to need to take the break through Oxycodone, instead of the slow release, I'd end up taking more. Today I'm trying a day without Tylenol, and things are good so far. Granted, it's a quiet, at home day, so might not be a fair test. I'll try again tomorrow when I have pool and an appointment. It's such a trial process and I don't want it to be a "trial and error" process.

@meewee - I wouldn't dream of even suggesting what might work for you. My adventure has been a "walk in the park" compared to what you've gone through. I've only taken oxycodone and Tylenol since surgery, and now I'm trying to get rid of the oxycodone. I won't know what my next step will be until I try it. If I need something stronger than Tylenol, I'm going to suggest Tramadol to my GP for days that I overdo it, and they will happen. You're a step ahead of me and have already made that switch. Normally, I would suggest you tag Josephine , but she's just come out of surgery herself. Maybe @referee54 would know or could suggest one of the other moderators who would know more about drug interaction. I'll be watching your thread to see what the results are after getting different opinions about MUAs. Keep in touch :yes:
 
@Threads Sounds like nighttime is going better - I'm so glad. It's a work in progress but you are headed the right direction! As always, awesome job :)

When I was going off pain meds during the day, I allowed my body to decide when it was ready to cut back. I took the pain meds on demand - or "as needed". At the beginning it was every four hours, then it would creep to 6 hours, soon 8 hours, etc. Often times, I would forget to take one, until my body told me it was time. It was an easy way to allow my body and own pain levels to self-regulate the need for the drugs, but also making sure I was still comfortable. I know you're on the slow release now, but if you go on Tramadol or something else, just though I'd share what worked for me. As you state above, everyone is different, but thought I'd share my experience.
 
My day without Tylenol was not a complete success. I decided to use up a surplus of beets given to us before surgery and make a huge vat of Borscht. There is a lot of standing and cutting of veggies in a huge (for two people) vat of soup. At one point I had to get my other half to peel and cut up the carrots, the final ingredient. I couldn't stand any longer, so I took two Tylenol and went to sit down. What scared me was that I walked from the kitchen to the living room, swinging my leg out straight and around, the way I walked before surgery! Boy, those habits are buried deep in there.

@ljrfrm - thanks for your report on how you handled getting off the pain meds. That's why I was pleased I made it through the night last night without them. It's one step closer to being in a position to get off my pain meds the way you suggest and handled it yourself. Until I'm off the slow release, I can't do that- but it's close. Can I wish for a "snow" day for you this week?
 
@Threads Yes, please wish for a snow day! My son actually got one today - I work in the next county over. We are going today on time, but the storm is coming, so maybe wish for an early release? Wow, people must think I don't like my job. I truly do enjoy my job.....I just seem to love my recliner a bit more recently :)

Don't feel bad about taking Tylenol. You definitely are better of taking it than uncomfortable. Isn't amazing how those bad habits creep back? I was at the gym yesterday with the trainer working on a step up exercise and kept swinging my right leg around to step up. I used to do that right after surgery to get down the stairs. No need to do it now, other than habit.
 
Well, be careful what you brag about. I know - one step forward, sometimes two back. It's just about 7:30 here and still dark but we're about to head to the pool. I'm going on four hours sleep. I took a breakthrough oxycodone at 2:00ish, read and then slept until the furnace came on. @ljrfrm , I've taken the Tylenol this morning to last me until the slow release oxy when I get home. Yawn.........
 
Well, that woke me up! The Leisure Pool which is supposed to be warm and comforting, was 5°C / 41°F this morning. Not someplace I wanted to spend a lot of time. I braved the temperature, did my excercises and am now home wrapped in a shawl to get warm. Granted, I'm drinking my breakfast smoothie made with, among other things - frozen blueberries. I know I have a brain up there somewhere.

@ljrfrm - I'm wishing for an early release today and a snow day for Friday - that would give three days in a row with your recliner, the fireplace and a good book! Not to mention , because you couldn't go anywhere.
 
Just learned something - the little iPad symbols on the keyboard don't work on BS - I had a glass of wine waiting for you after "not to mention" in the post above, @ljrfrm
 
Well, no snow day, and no wine. But home now in my recliner with the fire going. Sorry the pool was so cold but good for you for getting there. It will pay off!! I'm sore and aching today so have just taken a Tylenol as well. I see my OS tomorrow for my 6 month appointment so will post on my thread once I get home from work.
 
Week 10 Report

I've already written about my outpatient rehab appointment last Thursday but for my record, I'm going to mention it here again.

Measurements - ROM 120 in both knees, knee extension still needs work a couple of degrees shy of being straight.
Given a couple of new excercises, one for home and the extensions and one for the pool.
Walking speed tested without cane was good. All in all, I'm on the right path.

At the visit to my GP, we decided to start the weaning process off nighttime slow release oxycodone. Not a total success yet having had to take a single 5 mg. dose on two of the four nights so far. I will keep trying, I don't have pain but ache that just won't let me settle. I've cut down on Tylenol during the day, when possible.

Working out in the pool 3 times a week, if possible. Physiotherapist suggested doing my excercises faster which uses water resistance to it's best advantage. The first day I did that, I could feel it my muscles after.

My two weakest areas at this point is 1) my muscle strength and 2) my stamina. I'm still surprised at the fatigue that comes at you, unexpectedly.

The positive things are that my mind is getting back to normal. I'm reading more, my mind is constantly working on ideas for new projects and I'm feeling alive again (most of the time). Not tonight because I've functioned on 4 hours sleep today.
 
I know when I went back to work my mind was still "foggy". I want to say it was around 16 weeks or so when I realized I felt more alert. I think around the same time I started feeling less fatigued, but that's still a work in progress. Remember, it's not just from the surgery, but we aren't sleeping like we used to so our body is fighting that too. You are doing great!
 
@Threads Lovely report, you have done so well over the last weeks. You must be very pleased. I understand about the waking up bit. My mind has been in a bit of a fog but things are improving. Ive picked up my German classes again and have just done a bit of listening to CDs for that. I couldn't have done it last week.

Like you my stamina and strength need a lot of work but they will improve as we do more and more. I drove my manual transmission car today for the first time so a small step forward and I walked up AND downstairs properly on my stairs at home which are quite steep. Aching again now but that's the pay off for progress at the moment.

Your ROM is great too and walking without the cane. Wow what amazing changes in a few short months!

I still haven't been out with my camera but now I can drive I have a few ideas for visits out .

There is absolutely nothing we can't do! Well, the New York Marathon might be a step too far and I've had to turn down the Opera singing gig but apart from that ... Nothing!:loveshwr::dancy::spin::happydance::yay::yay::loveshwr:
 
What a wonderful Week 10 report! 120 degrees flexion sounds heavenly, and extension is almost there! What an inspiration and the result of lots of patience and hard work. I haven't tried any pool therapy, but it sounds like a good way to make progress and will see what my OS has to say. I'm scheduled for a double MUA next Monday. It was recommended by both my PTs, my OS, and from reading posts on this forum I think it is what I need to do to make progress. I also got hungry for Borscht just reading about yours, but have never made it myself. I hope you enjoyed it after all the standing and chopping :yes!:
 
I slept 9 hours solid last night :egypdance:. I'm having a lazy morning before heading to a meeting (weaving design related), so seeing friends, etc. I had my acupuncture yesterday, the nerve issue is slowly improving and I asked if he would put a needle in the acupuncture point for sleep, and relaxation. He'd given me those prior to surgery to calm my mind and help me sleep. He did, and I slept like a baby, didn't even wake up once. Some could say it was sheer exhaustion, but I believe it really helped.

@ljrfrm and @SuperSnapper - thanks for confirming that "foggy brain" is a borderless issue ;-) It's comforting to continue be reassured that what we are going through is, in fact, normal! And, it will continue to get better. I know I'm much "brighter" than I was a few weeks after surgery and @ljrfrm gives out hope, from someone further down this path, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

@SuperSnapper - you gave me a good giggle with the limitations you have given yourself. I did notice that you left out climbing Mount Kilimanjaro (Everest being far too crowded, of course). Just think of the photo opportunities there!

Thanks for the votes of confidence, you two!
 
@meewee - I'm glad that you've made that decision based on the experience of people you trust.

Working out in the water is a good way to get some movement with the resistance of the water giving you a good workout. I do a lot of walking, forwards, backwards and sideways plus my normal standing excercises. I would think it would help you progress, eventually, but your PT might want you to get some work done on land first. You won't have to wait for a scar to heal, so working out in a pool would be possible sooner than it would have been after your surgery, but that wasn't even possible. I workout in what they call the Leisure Pool - the water is warmer, shallower and there is a bench along one wall, under water, where I can do the sitting excercises. Another advantage is that a can use the Handicap shower after, which is easier than climbing over the tub at home. I still have the transfer bench but don't use it.

You've been through soooooo much that I'm relieved to hear that there is hope in sight. I hope they keep you in overnight so that you can get your pain managed before you go home.

Please, please keep in touch, I know BS wasn't your top priority after your BTKR surgery, and it's no wonder. I'll be cheering for you on Monday, listen closely and you'll hear me. You live in an incredibly beautiful state and you need to get out and enjoy it! You are not alone.
 
@Threads No! No! Definitely not Kilimanjaro. Mr P tried it about 6 years ago with a couple of friends and got to within 500 metres of the top when he developed altitude sickness quite badly and had to come down. SO we don't mention Kilimanjaro in our house. He still hasn't got over the disappointment. I would never, ever attempt anything like that. They walked uphill for 6 straight days. I can only imagine how dreadful it was. Mind you he got a bit of altitude sickness when we went up Mont Blanc in a cable car, so we should have known.:no-fin:

I have cycled round the Bodensee though, but that's all flat, hardly any climbs and mainly on traffic free paths. Bliss!:biking::biking::biking:I do tend to fall off bikes quite a lot though so maybe I won't try for a while yet :rotfl::rotfl:

Glad the acupuncture was successful and you got some decent sleep. It makes the whole world look a lot better.

Sending you a hug via the Polar route

Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper - how heart breaking for Mr. P. - so close, but yet so far! My only taste of the effects of altitude was at Ticlo Pass (4,818 m) in Peru. All I tried to do was get off the bus to get my photo taken in front of the sign, and I couldn't. I could barely walk to the door of the bus. I'm totally impressed that he walked that far, straight up, but can certainly imagine the heartbreak - one of the times in life where close is not good enough! We had a brain surgeon travelling with us who knew he was susceptible to altitude sickness and didn't take the necessary meds. Don't think I'd want him operating on my brain!

You cycled 170 miles!!! I'm totally in awe. I just looked it up and it looks like an amazing bike route. We're you able to take your time or were you on a schedule? I imagine, being where you were, you probably had delightful accommodation to collapse in at night, with all the choices of beer and wine imaginable - to keep your fluids up, of course :heehee:

Big hug back at you over the polar route!
 
He was very, very upset . He'd trained for months but one third of people who try to climb Kilimanjaro don't mame it and it's nothing to do with age either. It was an enormous disappointment for him.

The Bodensee was great. We did it over 11 days with rest days and a travel company moved our bags for us from lovely hotel to hotel. Great fun and we really enjoyed the scenery and food, wine and beer. I'd love to do another holiday like that. As you can probably work out , we like active holidays!

Hmmm ... Where to go next with the knee...
 
While it isn't Mt. Kilimanjaro, I look forward to being able to hike. Am I am hiker? NO, LOL. But, it seems that when you can't do something, all of a sudden you want to do it. I have seen photos of my friends taking beautiful hikes over the last months (since my surgery) and I find myself jealous. So, I have decided (along with a friend) to plan a hike on the one year anniversary of my surgery next August. I look forward to a (hopefully) pain-free hike with beautiful views - and a great way to celebrate my recovery. Someday my husband and I want to walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom