Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SuperSnapper - I spent part of today researching the CSC cameras because of your comment about weight. However, what I've discovered is that Canon isn't even realistically in that game! We've always been Canon owners - except for my current Fuji - and that's what Doug's good telephoto lens is. So, we're looking at the Canon T5i bodies and the lenses that appeal to our own individual likes. I want a good macro lens, for instance. What my research showed is that the Canon CSC really sucks! Maybe they will come out with a new one after we've put down our $$ for the T5i but that's the luck of the draw. I bought my Mac about 6 months ahead of Doug and he has twice the RAM I do for the same price, at that time.

Which CSC are you dreaming about?
 
@Threads I like the look of the Sony AR 7 , full frame but I do already have Canon 6d which is a great camera , very sharp and reasonably light and I bought it at a good price. I know what you mean about the lenses. It's held me back from buying other brands as I've invested a lot in the Canon lenses I have. But I'd have to do some serious saving up before I got anything else anyway. The main problem I've had is with weight, carrying backpack , lenses etc but if you can share lenses then you halve that problem. :yahoo:My P carries my gear for me but it's an issue if I go out with friends.
My son has just bought the new Canon 70 d which replaces the old 7d . He's delighted with it. It's very fast, lots of frames per second and good for wildlife whereas mine is best for portraits, Macro and landscape.

Whatever you buy, they always bring out another , upgrade the week after! :rotfl:
At least you had a diversion looking at :flwrysmile:CSCs !:happydance:
Have a good day

Mary x
 
So glad to hear that things are going well for you. Hope you have a joyful Christmas. My upside is that I have made a warp for my loom and have one for my table loom. I figure I have a week to get them both warped. Poor hubby is sick now and he is keeping his distance, my GP put me on antibiotics and said I should be good to go on the 29th. I have my fingers crossed, nothing is going to stop me from getting this knee this time. It has been screaming all week long. :box::santa gifts::reindeerlights::merry christmas::treestar:
 
Well, the first few days at home were tough as I battled with another bout of the ugly "C" - I forgot to bring my flax meal and my own naturopathic remedy for that problem when I went back into rehab, it doesn't take much to get me on the wrong track especially taking the drugs. Today things were "working out" and I felt great. So off we headed to see my GP and to talk about continuing the process of reducing the drugs. We've got a plan worked out and I'm happy. After that we treated ourselves to a seasonal coffee before heading out to a guitar store across town (grandson Christmas present). There was a yarn store I liked nearby, so I had to go and add to my knitting stash - a simple shawl to be made with a simple mind. Next came some grocery shopping and finally stopped closer to home to get my new prescriptions filled. By that time I knew I'd overdone it. The wait was too long to get them filled, so Doug brought me home and I conked out for a couple of hours. Lesson (maybe) learned, pace myself! I did a lot of walking today, with my two canes. We don't have any out and about stuff for the next couple of days so I should be kinder to my knees and the rest of me. I'm icing as I write this and shivering as well.

@ljrfrm - I'm hoping the next two weeks will give you some quality resting and healing time before school goes back in.. Let them all spoil you!
 
@fiberlady - guess your knee doesn't understand Canadian, eh! I told it to behave itself and give you some peace. I'm impressed that you have two warps ready to go. I'm still at the knitting stage until I can design a warp, especially for the table loom.

Sorry to hear that hubby is sick - odds are it's the same virus so he won't reinfect you. Good precaution to be on antibiotics - nothing is going to stop you now!
 
@Threads Wow, you did a lot today. I'm not surprised you conked out. Great that you were able to do it but take it easy. I'm glad you're icing.........I was shivering with my ice earlier too - it was so much easier when I used to ice in the summertime - way too cold now to deal with that stuff :)
 
After a very quiet weekend - I slept a lot - today we were visited by twin almost 11yr. old "elves" who came to help bring Christmas into Nana and Grandpa's house. I had asked for the help and they happily and willingly came. Doug put up the tree and lights and they took care of everything else. Sophia really put her heart into it and Jude was willing to be somewhat guided in the decorating part by his sister. I was able to tell them some of the history behind some of the decorations - like their great-grandparents gold bell that always sits on the top of our tree. They couldn't get over how many sheep decorations were available to go on the tree. @fiberlady - I'm sure you must have a collection yourself! They did a great job and it feels like Christmas is here. I couldn't have done it myself.

However, I did overdo it and by the time they were about to leave, my left ankle was swollen and itchy and my left leg hurt. It's strange that one is worse than the other and yet that seems to be the case with most bilaterals I read about on BoneSmart. My left leg is also the one with the constant nerve action.

@SuperSnapper - we picked up our Canon T5is on Friday and I've been playing with mine a bit when I had the energy. Today Sophia took it over and was having a lot of fun with it. Her Dad (our youngest) is also a photographer, so it seems to be in her genes. She took a lot of stills of the tree and then figured out how to turn on the video and made up some Christmas stories involving different decorations. I'll have to keep those - who knows, maybe her future is in the movie business! Jude used it a bit but he's always more interested in the kids games on my iPad!

I trust all my BoneSmartie friends have had some help, if necessary, getting into the Christmas spirit this year.
 
Great news on the cameras. Just make sure Sophia doesn't like it too much! I was thinking yesterday that I need to charge mine up for Christmas so I must be feeling better. We had help with the tree too from Maffy 4, Rob 7. Chaos but great fun.
Hope you. Doug and all your family have a wonderful Christmas. Take it easy with the new knees. By the way, I use a hot water bottle when I ice. Keeps the top half warm in the chilly weather
Sending a big hug via the Polar route.
Mary xx
 
Sheep ornaments you say, I think every person that deals with fiber especially the spinners have sheep ornaments. I even bought a lovely one for our guild ornament exchange.

I had help from my two year old granddaughter to decorate our tiny little tree we have this year, she was having so much fun, it was sure chaos and I was glad I had pulled out the non breakables.

:treestar::merryx:
 
So glad the elves came and brought Christmas. I'm sure it was special memories for them too - and wonderful that they got to hear about the history of some of the ornaments.
 
@noc - I'm on oxycodone (long acting) twice a day. I'm in the process of weaning myself off them so, as of last Friday, I'm taking two 10 mg at 9:00 am and one 10 mg at 9:00 pm. When I see my GP next week, I'll cut back to 10 and 10, and then down from there - depending on how it goes. I have some 5 mg. breakthroughs if I need them. The only other meds I'm taking are 2 x 500 mg. Tylenol 4 times a day. The most consistent discomfort I have at the moment is nerve related. It's not something that effects everyone nor is it something that oxycodone helps. From what I've read - time and patience are the only things that are going to help.

I know that this is old news to you but the times I've ended up paying the price with pain was when I've overdone it. The BoneSmart mantra really works. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow and I don't use canes around the house, except one to make me feel secure going up and down our 14 stairs. I use two for walking outside, simply because sidewalks and paths tend to have cracks and surprises hidden in them. I have a good, strong gate when walking as long as I remember that my knees are still babies and there is still a lot of healing going on. I'm looking forward to heading back into our community pool once the holidays are over.

You'll be on the path to healing before you know it! One of my rehab mates was a man that reminds me of you - when I look at your picture. He is/was very much into body building. He's determined to get back on his feet from his BTKR asap. However, he was wise enough to know that pushing himself through pain wasn't the answer. He made sure that he had a therapist that had the BoneSmart attitude (even though he's not a BoneSmartie). When I said my goodbyes to him, he was well on his way. He had his surgery by the same OS that I did but two weeks later. He was in great shape going in and in great shape to help him through his recovery.

This is far more information than you asked for ;-)
 
hi @Threads sounds like you are acing it:flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Keep doing what your are doing and I will keep reading your progress with interest. I'm not due for BTKR for another 5 weeks (but who's counting). I have to say that reading the experience of other TKRs, especially doubles is giving me courage and insight about what to expect and how to handle it.

@noc If i don't say it now I could forget... wishing you the very best for 2nd Jan and I'll be following your progress from Sydney Australia... this forum is so terrific with people from all over sharing and caring:loveshwr:

Happy holidays to you both - take care and keep posing - Maggie x
 
Christmas Eve is here as well as my 6 week mark. It's hard to believe that I've already reached that point. In so many ways I'm doing so much better than I dreamed I would. I can walk without canes in the house without a problem except for using a cane on the stairs. My right leg is amazing except that I need to work on the 0 extension. The pain is pretty much under control except when I overdo it, but that's not surprising. I'm not being diligent with my exercises since I got home from rehab a week ago, maybe I'm taking the "take it easy" part too seriously ;-) Sleeping is something I'm doing too much of. But - there always is a but though isn't there - the nerve on the outside of my left leg is something I hadn't expected. I just about jumped through the roof last night. I must have hit the nerve when I turned over in my sleep because it woke up me up feeling I had been stabbed with a sharp knife in my thigh. When I realized what was going on, I also felt that my right leg was having a go with its old friend Restless Leg. I could barely feel it but it was there but washed over by the nerve pain. Luckily I have found a homeopathic product that works for my Restless Leg - Restful Legs by Hyland's, in case anyone is looking for relief. I wish I could find a magic wand for the nerve problem. I tried the plastic cling wrap over my thigh but it's not a body part that takes to being happily wrapped and having the wrap stay put.

Not a cheery Christmas Eve message but I wanted to get my 6 week report in so I can look back and track my own progress.

I wish a wonderful Christmas to all my BoneSmart buddies - you've helped me in ways that you don't even know know!

@ljrfrm, I hope you are being as kind to yourself during your Christmas break, as you have been to me, helping me follow you down the BLTR and understand my journey.

@fiberlady - I hope that you are able to be comfortable enough to enjoy the holidays with family as you count down, again - to your surgical date. It's fun to distract ourselves with common interests, and I'll be there for you when you get to the other side with this final surgery.

@SuperSnapper - we'll be out there in the New Year with our cameras - old and new. I look forward to comparing notes. I'll have to get back onto my Flickr account.
 
@Maggie94 - a very special Merry Christmas day to you in Australia. We have family on the other side of the dateline who are celebrating as well.

Your surgery will be here before you know it. From your vantage point, right now, it seems like a long way away but, take it from me - time really flies! In the meantime, enjoy the holidays and a green Christmas!
 
@Threads Merry Christmas - you've done wonderfully these past 6 weeks - you have come so far and and I know you will keep up your great progress. Hopefully the restless leg and nerve pain will let up soon! Let yourself sleep now - my one regret is that I didn't sleep more during my early days of recovery!! I was never "religious" about my home exercise routine - and I did fine. Your body needs the rest - so don't be too hard on yourself.

Enjoy your holidays and thanks for the good thoughts!!!
 
Happy Christmas to you too. My numb bit of my knee annoys me but it's not painful just weird. You have actually come so far in 6 weeks. We've got lots of lovely photos to take and swap in the New Year.
Keep taking care of yourself.
Mary x
 
Seven weeks ago right now, I was in surgery. It's hard to believe. My right leg is my "good" one and the left is still the problem child. The nerve pain isn't as sharp but I'm still aware of it and my left knee still tells me that it's not happy. Last Friday I cut back to 10 mg. slow release oxycodone, twice a day. I also have regular 5 mg. for break through, should I need it. I've only had to use it once during a bad night. I see my GP on Friday and see what she suggests for going forward. I've been out walking using my two canes - the paths around here have tree roots making their way across them, so I want the stability. I did head down into the basement last night to see if I could get on our recumbent bike. I was happy that my right leg went over the middle section and I was able to sit down and get my feet into the peddle straps. I peddled a couple of rounds without added resistance. At least I know I can do it, and will slowly become friends with it again. I know, easy does it! One thing I'm probably doing too much of is sleeping, I can't seem to get enough.
 
did head down into the basement last night to see if I could get on our recumbent bike. I was happy that my right leg went over the middle section and I was able to sit down and get my feet into the peddle straps. I peddled a couple of rounds without added resistance.
That is wonderful to read! You are moving forward!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom