Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for explaining. There are good reasons for going back, then.
 
@Threads Glad you got the risers for your sofa and especially glad you will be at home soon. It will be wonderful to be in charge of your own schedule for icing, elevating, resting and taking your meds! Sending positive healing thoughts for a continued smooth recovery! :)
 
Glad you got things work out to be on your Chesterfield, in your favorite spot!
 
The end of my first full day at home. Granted I have to go back in to rehab tomorrow evening to finally get released on Tuesday.

I had not too bad a night's sleep and I didn't have a flashlight in my face several times a night to see if I was alive! It was nice to have a shower in our own bathroom. I was tired today. We went out to get another cane because I'm using a borrowed pair from rehab. I still feel I need two canes when I'm outside. I'm getting by with one or none at home. It was nice driving around town but even though Christmas is everywhere, it certainly doesn't feel real to me! Tonight I had, what I thought was a brainwave. We had gone out to our favourite Thai restaurant for my "last supper" before surgery. I thought it would be a treat to celebrate, the end in site of the first hurdle, by going back. Well, Doug has lots of Thai food for dinner Monday night while I'm back having dinner in rehab for the last time. I guess it doesn't pay to push. I balanced on the cushion I'd brought along, hoping I wouldn't slide off. The food was good but too rich for me after a month of hospital food! We had trouble finding parking on a busy Vancouver street on Saturday night - surprise! Certainly not thinking on my part. However, I think Doug enjoyed it and he loves leftovers, so all is not lost. Lesson learned on day one - pace yourself!!!
 
@Threads Your flashlight comment literally had me laughing outloud!!! Too funny. Sorry the Thai outing wasn't the best, but you did it!!! I'm sure it must be nice to be home - and in just a few days you'll be home for good. I know that Doug will be happy to have you home!!
 
@Threads I really understand the kind of disassociation from Christmas after being in rehab. I spent 3 months in hospital once with pre eclampsia band was allowed home for three days at Christmas but I felt so weird - a bit like in a dream where I didn't have a real life. I was actually relieved to go back to hospital!
Loved the flashlight bit. i remember being woken up to take sleeping pills all those years ago!
At least Doug got plenty of Thai food to keep him going while you are away . Good luck for Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you
Hugs x
Mary
 
I'm back in rehab and certainly didn't want to come in tonight! To top it off, one of the ditziest nurses in the place was assigned to me. Oh, well two more sleeps and I'm out of here. I get full rehab tomorrow which is good and it will send me off on the "right" foot, whichever that one is. I didn't realize how tired I would get just being at home, I ended up napping a lot.

Doug did enjoy his Thai food tonight and he has enough for tomorrow. I had some salmon chowder I'd made before surgery.
 
@Threads I was awake at 5.15am here and read your post. Ditzy nurses are a menace! I had three lovely Asian nurses, two of them male over three nights. They were so kind and helpful. They were all agency staff. A lot of agency nurses are used over here. But I couldn't fault them, helpful and considerate and there as soon as the bell rang. It makes such a difference when people are kind and treat you as a human. Two more sleeps and home for you. Yay! It will soon pass and you'll be tucked up on your Chesterfield.
 
@Threads Thinking of you as your last day in rehab winds down. I hope therapy and your assessments went well. You worked hard and deserve all the successes you will be getting with your new knees! Glad you're going home tomorrow!!! I'm sure Doug missed having your around!
 
Thank you for your kind wishes @ljrfrm and @SuperSnapper! I had a good workout this morning but didn't bring in my ice machine for the overnight stay. Tomorrow we'll develop a routine for icing at home - we didn't do that on the weekend but I'll need to make it part of my life at home as I start cutting back more on my OxyContin. I see my GP on Friday and we'll start the process then.

@ljrfrm - Doug has become part of my room family and has been coming every day at 3:00 and walking me to dinner every night! I think he's going to miss that camaraderie. We've all been dog sitting the recreational directors dog when she is off organizing events or like today - bringing tea and cookies to patients rooms. Darling dog - almost tempting to get another one but not quite!

I hope I adjust to being home quickly, I don't want to spend my life napping!
 
hi @Threads Great news about the chesterfield. I will be using house bricks to give my bed a lift and have just purchased a recliner from ebay for the initial stuff. Like you I love the ingenuity on this site - the keep it simple principal - how good is that? Keep posting and let us all know how you are going - whats good and whats not so good - happy knitting - Maggie x
 
Had a chance to read through your weekend. Sounds like it went well, glad you got risers on that sofa, I was thinking that when I read that part. The Christmas thing has kind of been what I am dealing with. I had everything ready did minimal decorations, put ornaments on a Norfolk Pine we have a strung some lights on it. Not much of a tree but it serves its purpose. Looks more like a very full Charlie Brown tree.

It sounds to me like you are getting along just fine. Both knees done and walking with a cane is amazing to me. I still use a cane and hope that if and when I ever get this knee done I will no longer need the cane.

Do take care and don't over do it when you get home. I will keep checking on your progress.
 
Hi from home! I was out of rehab shortly after 10:00 and we had to go to the pharmacy on the way home. Doug went in and got my prescription filled while I waited in the van. Once I got home - guess what, I napped! However, my excuse is that I was up by 7:00, packed before I went to my leg exercise group at 8:15 and met with my physiotherapist shortly before 9:00 so she could go over my home exercises with me. I'm icing now, which I haven't done for a few days because I left the machine at home when I went back to rehab. I'm going to have to develop a routine for myself - I've had my life organized for the last 5 weeks tomorrow. Hard to believe. I think it will take me a few night's of uninterrupted sleep before I feel rested. We'll see if that's something that really is possible.

@fiberlady - you'll get there, you've had too many unanticipated bumps in the road along your journey to get this knee done. :holysheep: Soon you will still be walking with one cane, but just temporarily, as your brand new knee gets settled in. I sent out a request for "elves" to help me get into the Christmas spirit. My daughter-in-law volunteered the two I wanted for probably next Monday. We have a fake Christmas tree (from the days that we travelled over part of the holidays) and Doug can get it set up. The elves - our twin grandchildren, (almost 11 year old girl and boy) will really get into decorating it with things that their Dad and uncles made when they were young. I'll have to move the table loom and stand into the dining room, but I won't be entertaining this year, so that's OK. It's starting to feel a bit more like Christmas now with the wrist bands cut off - I'm officially back into my own life.

@SuperSnapper - we spent this afternoon (after my nap) talking cameras. The dream of each of us having new cameras with lenses we can both share is getting closer :cheers:. Our Christmas and birthday presents to each other. Trying to figure out how people get warm and comfortable with ice pads wrapped around their knees - I can only handle it so long before I start shivering!

@ljrfrm - 3 more days, but who's counting :yes!: Don't overdo it as you get closer to your one on one quality time with your recliner!

@Maggie94 - no room for another recliner in our living room - hence the need to create my nest on the chesterfield. I do have to have room for a small loom and several spinning wheels - priorities :heehee:
 
@Threads there is no place like home. Room for table looms and spinning wheels is always a top priority in my world. Soon you will be enjoying them once again.

I have gotten over my pitty party and have decided that this was a good thing to happen, now I can warp the looms and get a few things done that I had wanted to do but never got to. Things do happen for a reason. My sister is coming over on Saturday while my husband attends his families Christmas gathering and we are going to watch Christmas movies together. It will be fun. I am being very cautious with my knee as it is really hurting, so elevating and icing is the name of the game these days.

That is nice that your grandchildren will be there to help you get into the spirit of things.

Two weeks is not that long and I will be on the road to recovery.
 
@Threads I have been having trouble with getting too cold while running my ice and I have an electric blanket now... I put my ice on my leg and bundle up in my electric blanket... till I get myself too warm. You might try that or maybe just a heating pad behind your back to add some warmth.
 
When I had my right knee done it was summer and I would freeze with that ice machine on my knee. I covered with a down comforter to keep warm. My husband thought I was nuts. I also mad certain I had something on my leg besides the blanket. The electric blanket seems like a good idea.
 
@Threads Your message was lovely. I could "feel" your pleasure at being home at last! I'm sitting here smiling with you. I hope you get lots of rest and begin to pick up the things you love doing. The addition of the grandchildren to help with the Christmas decorating will add to your fun.
Great news on the cameras too. Have you checked out the new mirrorless CSC ones on the market now? Several companies make them.I am sorely tempted. They are so light to carry and have a growing range of interchangeable lenses. I've Seen some wonderful photos from them and the weight issue is important to me. Anyway, whatever you go for I am looking forward to seeing your photos. Great news.

Have a wonderful first full day at home.
Sending a huge hug via the Pole xxxxx

Mary x
PS I use a hot water bottle ( very low tech! ) on my top half while icing the knee. And a blanket too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom