Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe it's been 7 weeks for you already! Time sure goes fast when it's not me :) I'm so glad that you are progressing so well..........
 
@fiberlady - guess it's time for me to post on my own thread :yes:

I've now managed to get those two skeins into balls. It's amazing what you can accomplish when your legs decide they want to move at 3:00 am! Now all I have to do is figure out the "mindless" pattern and cast-on. I'm thinking of you enjoying your company. You'll probably be more tired than you imagined you would be, by the time they leave.
 
Glad to hear you pulled out yarn to knit. I just like to be able to keep my hands and my mind busy. I had a great visit with family today, it energized me, and was just what I needed. Used the CPM when everyone left for a hour, walked around and iced, did a few of the standing exercises. Didn't even feel the need to fall asleep.

You are heading towards 8 weeks since your surgery, time does go by fast. Hope that things are going as planned for you.
 
You are doing so amazingly well. :happydance: I remember having visitors, even a few weeks ago, that knocked me out! Glad you had a great day - it's good to be distracted! I had the yarn - bought it over two weeks ago just after I left rehab, but never got it into balls. Luckily my swift and ball winder were still sitting on my desk in my loom room, so at 3:00 am it was easy to sit there and wind two balls ready for a shawl. Right now I'm on my main computer doing some stuff that has been waiting for a while. Have you ever checked out Jane Stafford's Helpline? I'm just putting up some new pages up with answers to questions that came in while I was out of commission. I can't work on it on my iPad.
 
@Threads Yes I did check out Jane's website and helpline. I actually asked a question, I wanted to know about warping mohair and remember awhile back that she sold Mohair throw kits, and now I can't find them. Someone was supposed to be checking into that for me. (I have not checked back in a while) The warping method is helpful and I have mohair that I want to spin and dye different colors and then weave into throws. My mind is always running at least several miles ahead of my body, you would almost think I was constantly on drugs of some sort. Members of my guild are used to getting emails in the middle of the night when I get one of my ideas and start discussing it with them. I guess that is why I feel lonely when I fall asleep. Only now I am dreaming of weaving towels, my DH bought me a towel kit from the Interweave store for Christmas and I can't wait to make the kit and start weaving it. I maintain the Michigan League of Handweavers website and do there newsletter. I did everything before I went in for surgery, glad I did, but it would have kept me busy for awhile.
 
@fiberlady - just woke up from a nap. I always pay for my nighttime wanderings ;-) Actually, I had seen your question when it came in and saw it again today. I may have sent you the original answer about where find warping with mohair on the Helpline! Jane answered your email saying that she was out of the kits and wanted to redesign them, before putting new ones up. It was so close to Christmas, and she knew she wouldn't have time until after the holidays. I'll keep an eye out for the new kits. She and her hubby have just had an actual break and she doesn't open up the studio again until tomorrow morning.

I haven't woven a kit for years - Jane's influence - read the articles under the tab "Designing your own Cloth". I took her Colour and Design retreat a number of years ago and since then I create my own "canvas", drop in the colours and structures I want. Often I will use one of my own photos to get a colour mix I like. You can also pull photos out of magazines with colour mixes that catch your eye. I want to do stash reducing tea towels next.

That being said, if I still had a loom wide enough to do a mohair throw - I think I would be tempted to get a kit because you would only get the yarn you needed for the throw.

I didn't get the Helpline done before surgery - it's constantly growing, with new questions coming in on the Helpline or directly to her. Good for you doing the Michigan League of Handweavers website and newsletter, both are very big jobs. My days of big jobs for our Guild or the Guild of Canadian Weavers are over. Time to let new blood take over. I still do small jobs with our Guild like the Mentoring program and the computer library list, but other than that - I've done my bit ;-)

I look forward to seeing how your tea towels turn out!
 
Week 8 Report

I'm doing more and more around the house and also seem more interested in my textile hobby related stuff. I've talked the talk before now but I actually completed a small project this week, and enjoyed it! I hadn't been able to get passed that inner fatigue before now. I also finished reading a book that didn't take me 2 months to read. I don't know what it is about the fatigue, but up to now I've been able to do the necessary stuff, but couldn't concentrate on a project or reading anything of any length. I still know that the wall of fatigue is there, waiting for me if I do too much.

Monday, I returned to the Leisure Pool at our aquatic centre. I spent 1/2 hour walking and doing exercises in waist deep water while the aquafit class I love was going on in the pool beside me. Before surgery we used to go 3 mornings a week and I plan to do that now. Things may change temporarily because while I was out and about today, a phone message was left from the out-patient department of my rehab hospital wanting to set up my first appointment. I don't know how often those PT appointments will be but I want to have a balance.

Today, after pool time, we headed out to my Naturopath (about 45 minute drive) and he gave me an acupuncture treatment as a follow-up to the procedure I went through prior surgery. He paid particular attention to the area of my left thigh that has been bothered by the nerve issue.

After that I got my hair cut - woo hoo, it been about 9 weeks and my hair is short, letting get even a little too long drives me crazy. After that we went out for dinner. Now, I'm waiting for the fatigue wall to hit!

Tomorrow I am hosting the monthly meeting of a group I've belonged to for about 20 years. Tomorrow we'll do quiet handwork while chatting, preparing fabric for an eventual indigo dye vat. Life is returning to normal!
 
Lovely report. That getting back to normal feeling is wonderful. I'm so pleased for you. Can't wait to get back to the pool too. Sounds fun. You are doing so well now.
I have a Physio appointment tomorrow - my second since surgery - I'm hoping she'll be pleased with progress.

Waving at you via the Pole.
 
@Threads Great report - so glad you are returning to your "normal" life. I had a hard time reading after surgery too - thought I'd read my whole time off from work, but just couldn't seem to focus. Hopefully you will be able to join your Aqua Fit class again soon! Glad you heard from outpatient PT...keep moving forward, you're doing great!
 
Wow you had one very busy day. It does make one feel good emotionally when you can finally start doing normal things again. Good for you. I can only imagine the tired feeling you get. Everything you do is magnified by two since you had both knees done at the same time. It is also good that you take it one day at a time. The nice thing about outpatient PT is that you are actually getting out. Mine will start in three weeks and I am looking forward to being out of the house, I just found the perfect place, my surgeon recommended it yesterday and I called this morning and it is perfect.

Your progress has been amazing, may you continue on the same course.
 
Thank you three for cheering me on! It means so much. @ljrfrm, @Threads and @SuperSnapper, I know you,ve got my back :yes:

@SuperSnapper - you should be able to go into the pool now - you aren't that far behind me! My doctor cleared me several weeks ago but with the rec centre closures over the holidays, I waited. It feels so good being in the water - I hope you can get there soon.

@ljrfrm - I bought lots of second hand books prior to surgery - I'm usually a fast reader. I couldn't get over how little I could read or even have the desire to! Thanks for letting me see that maybe that was normal!

@fiberlady - don't forget that I didn't get out for 5 weeks! I went straight from the hospital to the rehab hospital on a stretcher, with hardly breathing any fresh air! It wasn't until the last week or so that I actually got to put my shoes on and walk outside the building. You are doing incredibly well - be patient with yourself!!! So glad you found a good PT place!!!
 
@ljrfrm - maybe our blood supply was sent from our brains to our knees :heehee: - I wish I could redirect it back up the pipeline.
 
So much for sleeping in @ljrfrm! I know your recliner won't have arrived yet :-( However, I do have a question for you. I've been awakened by pain (discomfort) in the same spot on the upper, inside of both my legs, right where my legs join my inner hips. Did you ever have that? I've had it before on my left leg but never both. I'm wondering at 6:30 on a Saturday morning, whether or not it might be something I did in the pool yesterday. Ideas? Suggestions?
 
@Threads I'm so sorry, I didn't get an alert for your post and just now discovered it.

I'm not sure where your pain is, but it sounds a bit like my hip flexor pains I get. They are in the groin area, along where you bathing suit would end (is that a nice way to say that?) LOL. Anyhow - mine hurt more when I move, not so much when sleeping. But if you were moving when sleeping maybe?? If you lay on your back with knees bent just a tiny bit, move the right knee (then left after) towards the bed (or whatever you're laying on), do you feel the pain then? With my issue, I do. Also if I'm trying to get my leg over onto a bike or anything else with that movement. Your issue might be completely different but that might give you an idea of what to rule out. I used to have so many spams, pains, muscles aches, etc. when I was 8 weeks out like you, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what it is. Also, when I first worked out in the pool, I found muscles that hadn't been used in months - so they were sore after, like anytime you work out for the first time and your muscles are sore the next day.

BTW - looking at the time of your post, that was that exact time my trusty recliner was being delivered!!! :)
 
@ljrfrm - you described the location of the discomfort exactly! I wondered if it was the walking sideways through the water and doing the leg side lifts. I'm still sleeping flat on my back and haven't found a comfortable side position yet. After I wrote to you this morning, I lay on the sofa (Chesterfield in Canada ;-), which is much firmer and eventually fell asleep again. Now that I know you've had it, I won't be concerned. The pain is so far from the surgical site that it seemed strange.

I follow your thread but that doesn't always mean that I get an alert, whether you tag me or not. It's strange how the alerts come and go!
 
@Threads Glad you went back to sleep!! Try to do some gentle stretching in the area and see if that helps.
 
Week 9 Report

I thought I would write out my thoughts on my progress this week between my workout at the pool and heading to my naturopath for my acupuncture.

I held a monthly meeting last Thursday for a group of women friends who have similar creative textile interests. It was great to be back in the fold, even though they had been very attentive while I was in hospital and rehab. After they all left, Doug and I went to visit my roommates at the rehab hospital. That wall of fatigue just comes up and hits you in the face - I'm always still surprised when it catches me off guard, I haven't acknowledged my limits.

I did manage to do my pool workout three times last week and was happy with that. I haven't done much else in the excercise department but I'm certainly walking around our little house more and I'm "doing" stairs lots more than I did pre-surgery. Going up is quite easy and I have done both ways without my cane. Actually, last Friday I realized I was using one cane and carrying the other at the pool, I stopped using two right then and there. I could probably go up the stairs the normal way but going downstairs still makes me nervous. I'll be patient.

It's the fatigue that still gets me. A friend came over yesterday and all we did was knit and talk for about 5 hours. After dropping her off at the transit station, Doug drove me to the fabric store to pick up something I needed. I felt the wall of fatigue approach - that was it for the day for me!

I've had a call from the out-patient department of the rehab hospital I was in, so tomorrow I will go for my first appointment there.

I think I've made noticeable progress this week but am looking forward to proper physio so I can work on things like my extension on both legs - they both need a fair amount of improvement.
 
@Threads You're making great progress. 3 times at the pool is plenty - plus all you walking around, etc. You've done a lot this week! Remember, I went back to work at around 14 weeks - for only 4 hours - and I was a mess with the fatigue. It takes time - go with it! As I've said before, my biggest regret is that I didn't rest/nap more when I could. Take advantage of down time and sleep, or at least rest! Your body will appreciate it.

As for me, I got a surprise snow day off from work. So, I'm enjoying it in my trusty recliner, watching TV and enjoying the fireplace. I am going to push myself to get up and go to the gym for 20-30 min of biking. I worked out with the trainer yesterday and am stiff and sore - so I think the bike will stretch me out and feel good. Then back to my recliner, along with ice, for the afternoon.
 
What would I do without you @ljrfrm - of course I remember your first day and days back at work but that was work! My stuff is fun stuff, I'm retired, but I guess it can take the same kind of energy and bring on the same fatigue.

Good for you getting another snow day - it will make your week shorter. Too bad we weren't closer, I could curl up on your cosy recliner while you rode our bike! I did my "cycling" in the pool this morning as well as trying to bring my feet up close to my other knee. Oddly, my "good" leg doesn't like doing that and my "bad" leg can do it quite well. Maybe I can ask the physio tomorrow if she/he can give me some appropriate pool excercises.

By the time you read this you'll be back in your recliner feeling better because you've stretched those muscles. Thank you for being there for me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom