Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still haven't made it to the gym. Such a lazy day - but nice!
Exhaustion doesn't care if you are working or having fun....it hits you all the same!
 
We were out and about all afternoon. Partly checking out a fitness centre to see if the Internet reports on it were true, or if they had taken care of the issues. Our eldest daughter-in-law is interested in working out there so we were checking it out before we bought a membership for her for her birthday. I was really nosey - I asked if I could check out the change rooms, etc. and then spoke to the women who were there. They all seemed to be satisfied so we bought it. After the initial fees for joining, the monthly fee is reasonable and you can quit anytime. Hope it's what she really wants and not just what our son thinks she wants!

Glad you had a nice warm day by the fire in your recliner. Makes for a nice short week ;-)
 
All those trips out and about are slowly building up your stamina again!
 
You are right, they are @ljrfrm! More outs and abouts tomorrow. It will be interesting - the out-patient gym not the same one I got used to when I was an in-patient and the physios are different. New learning curve!

Should I wish for another snow day for you? I imagine your work doesn't disappear even if no one is there.
 
Great 9 week report, @Threads seems like you are feeling more confident with your knees each week. I actually forget about my one sometimes! And it's so good not to have pain on standing up and I don't miss the stabbing pains and locking I had now and again.
I was interested to see you were at the pool 3 times per week. That must be doing you good. I'm hoping to get the all clear to go after my appointment with the surgeon next week. Although he bans breaststroke until 3 months.
Oh well, it's all good. :yahoo::yahoo:

We said goodbye to our temporary cleaner last week after she failed to turn up one afternoon and then turned up the next day instead without any warning. She was an awful time keeper and used to go off having only done some of the time we were :bignono:paying her for. So she had to go. I explained I was so much better than I expected to be and could manage . But it was a help while I was recovering and my husband had enough to do. So now it's back to us. But I'm taking it easy doing a bit at a time.

It's lovely and sunny here today after last nights really bad winds. We've been having terrible Atlantic stirms for the last week or so and more to come. Scotland has been hit quite badly.

I better get up, it's 9.20 am and things to do.

Big hug via the Pole, stay well

Mary x
 
Hi @Threads Just popping by to see how you are going.... Well it seems good on you:yes!:. Back to aqua, hostessing and generally getting around the grass is certainly not growing under your feet.

I've been interested to read the comments about lack of concentration.... that's a new bit of info for me. This site is so great you learn something every day.

Keep strong, rest, take care of YOU.....big hug from across the seas Maggie x
 
@SuperSnapper - I'm just walking - frontwards, backwards and sideways in the pool as well as doing my regular excercises in the water. No laps for me yet! I watch Doug and my aquafit buddies getting a good workout in the regular pool while I do my gentle stuff in the Leisure Pool. It does have a water shoot that forces water between two walls, so I've been walking against the water flow - it's harder than it was prior to surgery, surprise, surprise! But I can feel my muscles working against the strong water flow. The aquafit is more of a cardio workout, a lot of running in place, jumping and other excercises I'm not ready for yet. Patience, Sandra, Patience!

We didn't worry about the cleaning - another advantage of me being in rehab. I'm the untidy one and life looks back to normal around here with the different projects I'm thinking about or working on spread out everywhere. Our clue to do a clean up is knowing we are having visitors ;-) Do you know the Hallmark card character Maxine? One of my favourite "comments" she makes is that she keeps a pile of Get Well cards handy and when she has company, she quickly puts them up around the house. No one expects a clean house then :heehee:. Keep that in mind now is just the two of you doing the cleaning.

Sorry you are getting the bad storms. We've been watching the BBC series "Coasts" - it's a fascinating series and it makes you really realize how varied and how much coastline there is around the UK. We're enjoying the history, nature, science and everything else they bring into that series. You are so lucky that the BBC is still being properly funded - we have a bunch of short sighted, narrow minded people making decisions here :-( IMHO

Time to make a cuppa.
 
@Threads. Glad you like "Coast" . It's a really good series mind you I like anything with Neil Oliver in it! We've explored quite. Lot of our coastline but always more to see. Last year we visited the Outer Hebrides Lewis, Harris, Eriskay and Barra. We had such a good time and it's all so beautiful in a wild rugged way. We actually saw someone weaving Harris Tweed, you'd have love it! I like Celtic music and we heard a wonderful work song the women used to sing while waulking the cloth. I'll try to find the link for you and post it. There's only one place now on Harris where the tweed is woven commercially.

I liked the way Maxine avoids the cleaning! Must try that one. Our house is really small , we used to have a bigger one but downsized when we retired so it's not hard to keep clean but it's so boring doing it. Better things to do.it gets a once a week lick!

I walked two miles today! The knee is fine after icing and elevating so progress!

Hope you had a good day
 
It's funny you mentioned that particular episode - we watched it last night. Our provincial public broadcasting network is the one running the series and we've been playing catch-up. They have had a few of the older ones available for online viewing and we watched that one last night. Technology is amazing - I ran it from my iPad through Apple TV so we could both watch it at the same time. I was excited to see he was headed to Harris Island but was not surprised (a little disappointed, mind you) when he didn't touch on the tweed. It's too obvious, I guess - what I like are the surprises they uncover on their journey around the coasts. The hidden golf course, the life of the puffins (which we've seen on this side of the Atlantic in Newfoundland) and the merchant ship that was grounded during WW2 loaded with whiskey headed for NA. Lucky you do have visited that part of Scotland - it is so incredibly beautiful. I did hear sheep though, on one of the deserted islands - can't remember which one.

I'm off shortly to see what out-patient rehab has in store for me. If they want me there a couple of times a week, it will probably disrupt my time in the pool. I do need to get my left knee stronger though. I still can't lift myself up into the Westphalia without the use of the stool. Until I'm able to do that - I won't be driving :-(
 
Hi @Maggie94 - I've just spent time with my cuppa and your thread. For some reason I haven't had any alerts from you for quite a while, I realized how long when I went by to catch up. I think I will unfollow you and then refollow to see if that helps.

I'll pop over to your thread to comment on the concentration thing - that way you have all your info in one spot.
 
Thanks @Threads. I'm sitting in bed waiting for the coffee to perk....my morning routine is to check the world via my tablet in bed, get the coffee then settle in for a read for 40 mins or so. Then attack the day. I love Maxine and yes the get well cards is one of my faves.
Thanks for popping over to my thread... Yes I have noticed how erratic the alerts are. I am learning to be a stalker on this site.... Checking the new posts area and the pts n post op thread lists.... A bit tiresome but it works.
Hope you have a great day, Maggie x
 
@ljrfrm - I'm just home. I spent 1 1/2 hours with Kate, a very nice, young physio, and then went to visit my old roomies, both amputees which kept me pretty humble in rehab. My 85 year old roomie heads home tomorrow after spending months in hospital and rehab. She is the sweetest person and I'm going to miss having her close by.

I'm quite happy with Kate's numbers - a lot of measuring going on today. My ROM is 120 in both knees, my extension is a few degrees off perfect in both knees with the right knee needing more work than my left. My problem is the strength in my legs, and that is what I need to work on. She has given me a couple more excercises to do but she says the ones I'm doing in the pool are great. To build up strength, I just need to do them faster - the resistance of the water will help with the strength building. Makes sense, doesn't it. So, with a few more to do at home and my work in the pool - we'll see how I've improved in 2 weeks. I'm to practice the stairs and build on what I've started - going up stairs like a normal person. It's been years since I've done that! Going downstairs that way is more of a challenge, and I need to work on that. She said she is quite comfortable with me not using a cane at all. I'm not quite - I'd like a bit more strength in my legs before I trust them completely ;-)

Kate constantly asked me if what she was doing, hurt. Of course it didn't! I told her about BoneSmart and she was interested. She was going to check it out and tell others!

Tomorrow I see our family doctor and will likely go off the slow release oxycodone. I'm ready for it! Now all I need is to get my legs strong enough to climb up into the van without using the stool - then I can drive again!!! The future is bright!

Thanks for asking!
 
I'm so glad it went so well. 120 in both legs is awesome and the extension will come. Your PT sounds perfect and your hard work is clearly apparent. You are also inspiring - I think I need to get back into the pool. I haven't done so lately because it's so cold, but I do miss it.
 
I was so pleased to read your report. It's brilliant! Well done with it all. Your physio sounds just right for you.
I'm having an issue with our stairs at home as they are quite steep so taking it slowly - down still seems scary. But I can do shallower steps really easily up. I expect we'll soon be zipping up AND down soon.
Off to the dentist today. It's 7.40 am here and I've not been up this early for weeks! It has been a struggle!

Have a lovely day

Mary xxx
 
@Threads Great report - Kate sounds lovely, can you send her over here? @ljrfrm is right - your extension will come - just keep doing the exercises. Sandra you are in inspiration, giving me more confidence about my up coming surgery and recovery. keep telling it like it is - cheers Maggie x
 
Ha @SuperSnapper, I've been getting up at 7:00 most days now and I'm so not a morning person!! However, on pool days we're out the door at 7:30 and in the pool before 8:00. If I didn't do it that way, I'd have time to think about it, and I'm afraid that would be the end of that tidy little routine. No pool today, doctor's appointment ;-) - so still up early.
 
@Maggie94 - I'm there for you, as are a lot of others. Knowing I had @ljrfrm there for me, made a huge difference in my recovery. I had never met anyone who had had BTKR prior to my surgery - that's why BoneSmart was an amazing resource for me. @ljrfrm had her BTKR 3 1/2 months ahead of me, far enough ahead to give me hope but close enough to remember the bad days, and "talk" me through them. You'll do great. It sounds like you are organized and have a positive attitude - that's a huge plus! Also, I'll be forever thankful that I had the time to spend in rehab. I'm know I wouldn't have been as disciplined at home as I had to be there. So, you have that support to get you going into a strong recovery.
 
@Threads Sandra thank you so much for your post above - it means a lot to me:) I love the "hands across the water" of the BS site. So much information and support. I have jumped over to my thread to finish this as it may give other pre ops some ideas.

Thank you for your friendship and support - Maggie XX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom