Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a bit of problem with my extension but I'm guessing I'm at about 120 going back the other way on both knees. My extension on my left leg wasn't great before surgery so it's not surprising it needs work after.
That extension can be a little booger!

Try using a heating pad on your hamstrings, and , with a small weight on your ankle, lie face-first down on your bed and dangle the lower leg over the edge of the bed---let the small weight and gravity do the work. This could take some time, but heating the hamstring beforehand will make the muscle a little more pliable and might help.
 
Thanks for the tip @referee54! I had my measurements done today but my left leg, in particular, was sore. I iced before I went for my measurements but I'm sure my ROM must have been less today. When asked, my PT said my extension was worse in my right leg, which really surprised me. He showed me some stretches to do as well but it makes sense to use your suggestion of the heating pad, before doing those as well.

Yesterday during PT I mentioned that I'd read about someone using a BOSU ball during physio. He went and got one for me to try. That's hard to balance on but he had me doing it throwing the ball back and forth to him. I can't imagine having the balance to throw a heavy ball into a toss back net! Maybe someday. Today (when no one was looking) I managed a few things using one cane and it felt good.
 
You never know! I was starting to think about what to take home for the weekend when my PT came in late this afternoon to say that they figured they had done about as much for me as they could. I could come back on Sunday night, Monday would be for the final assessment and Tuesday I would be discharged. I guess they are right but I wanted to take advantage of as much physio as I could. I can come back here as an outpatient but the waiting list is long, so we'll see how long it takes to move my way. So, that's what's going to happen.

It's a calendar month tomorrow since surgery and I can walk short distances without a cane (when the staff aren't looking), longer with one cane and today I did a number of rounds in the gym using my own Nordic Poles. I guess I should make way for others who need my spot. I'm pleased with my progress, so far. I'll get excercises to do at home and we have a recumbent bike I can use. Our fitness centre membership is reinstated at the beginning of January, so I can go back into the pool.

My nerve pain is back today but the hospital doctor doesn't think it's surgery related, but possibly rehab related, maybe having pinched a nerve during my excercises. It's above the surgical area, so it seems like a reasonable theory.

That's my news!
 
That is great news. I cannot believe that it has already been 4 weeks since your surgery. You will be headed home as I head into surgery on Tuesday. I am trying to hold it together, getting ready for this one has been tougher than the other two. I think I was so busy with work that I never gave it any thought, I have more time now, so I guess I am thinking about it more now.

It is good to hear though that you are doung so well. I am sure though that you will be glad to be home.
 
@fiberlady - looks like we're both "taking a big step" on the same day. I'll be in touch before you head in for your surgery. I want to hear how your Guild meeting goes on Monday. Mine is next Thursday but I don't think I'd have the stamina for the trek across town and to sit for several hours.

The January/February Handwoven is out and with it the announcement of the Handwoven Teacher of the Year 2014. Jane Stafford (my guru and friend) was chosen! If I could jump for joy - I would!

Enjoy your weekend and do something fun for yourself.
 
@Threads Great news about going home. I had bittersweet feelings about leaving PT - so I know how you feel. You will be fine though - you've come so far - and with the gym and your at home exercises, you'll get a lot of work in towards healing. Hopefully you can get into outpatient PT quickly!! Enjoy your trip home!
 
I just received my copy of handwoven today, I haven't had a chance to look at it, will over a cup of tea tomorrow morning. I am on a mission to clean the house and put a scarf warp on the loom before I go on Tuesday, a pipe dream maybe. I posted pictures on my ravelry page of the scarf for the guild party. I am very happy how it turned out and now want to do one for myself, I showed my sister today and she really liked it, so I told her I would make one for her also. I am hoping to be able to get some rep weave mug rugs on the table loom while I am recuperating, the warp is made so I will try to put it on the loom. I think I have high ambitions.
 
You will be fine though - you've come so far - and with the gym and your at home exercises, you'll get a lot of work in towards healing. Hopefully you can get into outpatient PT quickly!!
@Threads
I can't say this too often - be careful you don't get carried away and do too much in the way of exercise!

You can't hasten your recovery by working at it. In fact, all that your knee needs is a minimum amount of exercise and lots of rest.
 
@ljrfrm - thank you for seeing me through my darkest days! You were a big help getting me through this, because I knew it could be done! I think the blues I had that day was partly due to the reduction in OxyContin. I'll be going home on the dose I'm on and have an appointment with my family doctor next Friday to talk about where to go from here with pain meds.

One more work week for you! I guess you are busy with all the pre-Christmas stuff. Hope you make time for your recliner this weekend so you get some rest in!

My trip home is less than 10 minutes away. That's one of the many reasons this has been the perfect rehab for me. Doug hasn't spent hours a day getting in to see me and the parking is free!!! I don't know of any other hospital in town with free parking! Wonderful side benefit!
 
Thanks @Celle - you given me permission to take it easy for a while. I've worked steadily for the last 3 weeks, mostly without much pain. I feel that I'm on a strong path to recovery. Maybe now I can get my knitting out and relax ;-)
 
@fiberlady - I just checked your scarf on Ravelry. It's beautiful - I love how you used the crayon wrappers as inspiration as well. That gave you a wider range of colour to work from. Whoever receives that scarf is one luck person!
 
@Threads Just popping in to see how you are doing only to find you are going HOME! Brilliant news indeed. Your husband will be so glad to have you back home and you've done so well as Celle says maybe you can take input easier and rest a bit more now you've achieved lots of important markers in your rehab. Time to knee, sit in a chair with feet up of course and be pampered. I'm so pleased for you. :flwrysmile::loveshwr::loveshwr::happydance::yay:
Sending you huge good wishes for a continued excellent recovery xxxxxxx
 
@Threads
I can't say this too often - be careful you don't get carried away and do too much in the way of exercise!

You can't hasten your recovery by working at it. In fact, all that your knee needs is a minimum amount of exercise and lots of rest.
Thanks for saying that! I guess I didn't clarify well that my statement was really about the "long term" recovery, not necessarily now at 4 weeks. I didn't go back to the gym until much later, and even then I was just doing light exercises in the pool. @Threads knows that my recliner is my best friend :)
 
I'm home and totally wiped. I had a good physio today with a walk around part of the hospital again climbing up and down the little knoll. Once I got home, I slept for 2 hours! It's so nice and quiet at home without all the noise surrounding you in a hospital situation. I go back in on Sunday night, spend Monday doing final assessments and leave permanently for home Tuesday morning.

My main issue is that I have at home so far is the chesterfield (sofa) that I normally live on, is too low. I'm having a real problem getting up from it. Oddly enough, there isn't a button on the side of it that raises it and lowers it so I can either stand up comfortably or put socks on without the sock gadgets. :chinstroke: My knees don't seem to be strong enough to lift me up from that height. I did have it built for my height years ago, so my legs didn't dangle. Today it's a disadvantage! I guess I need to find some way to strengthen my knees. Right now I'm elevating my legs for the first time since surgery!
 
I go back in on Sunday night, spend Monday doing final assessments and leave permanently for home Tuesday morning.

I'm not sure I should say this, but do you really have to go back? Wouldn't that be your decision? You seem to be doing just fine. I can't imagine being in an institution any longer than I had to.

Is there any way that someone can put blocks under your couch, or make a platform to raise it higher?
 
I have raised my bed with cinder blocks. We had some around outside that were the half sized and they raised it about six inches, which was perfect. You might want to look in to doing something like that.
Glad you are home!
 
Thanks for the wishes @SuperSnapper. Doug is standing by to help in anyway he can, such a sweetheart. Unfortunately he can't make my legs stronger. Just thought of an idea. We had raising blocks for our bed, from when he had his hip done. Maybe they will work!
 
Yippee! One problem solved! We had discussed so many options before I went into the hospital a month ago, that some had gone rusty. I finally re-remembered the blocks we had purchased before Doug had his hip replaced 3 years ago. He just put them under the chesterfield and I'm free!!! I had been just about in tears and probably doing some very unsafe moves trying to get up from that low height, when I remembered. I can now get up and down safely and without pain!

Thanks for the ideas - great minds and all that jazz @Celle and if we hadn't had those, your idea would have been perfect @hbacres - we have some spare pavers in the basement.

What a quick and amazing resource BoneSmart is!
 
@Celle - you are right, it is my decision. However, yesterday afternoon they switched plans. I was going to stay another week of physio but they decided at their meeting, that there wasn't much more they could do for me as an inpatient. I'm on the outpatient wait list and I don't want to mess that up. By going in Sunday evening, I can meet with the hospital doctor on Monday and she will arrange for pain meds to carry me through until I see my family doctor on Friday. They sent me home with a supply of all my meds to last me the weekend. They want to do a final assessment on me on Monday. The staff there have been absolutely amazing. I'll come home for good on Tuesday morning.

I'm taking your advice to heart though. The wait list is a couple months - so I'm going to rest my legs, gently maintain the level of recovery I've reached and pick up my knitting. I've also got a pile of books waiting to be read (too many distractions in the hospital).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom