Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK @referee54 - you are throwing big words at me!!! What's propreaception? My physio talked about training the links between my brain and the signals to my new knees. Is that the word for that process?

The one they had me on was sort of like this one and my guess is that it would be a bit easier than the one you used. It would seem that yours would be a challenge staying on top of that round surface, let alone throwing balls!

[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
 
sorry---here is what it is---

Proprioception: The ability to sense stimuli arising within the body regarding position, motion, and equilibrium. Even if a person is blindfolded, he or she knows through proprioception if an arm is above the head or hanging by the side of the body. The sense of proprioception is disturbed in many neurological disorders. It can sometimes be improved through the use of broken link removed: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11219 therapy, a type of specialized occupational therapy (From Medicinenet.com)
 
I finally gave up trying to figure out what caused these lousy days. Recovery truly is a roller coaster ride---but keep in mind that these lousy days will get fewer in number, and farther between---and the "downs" will not be slow low.

As you recover, they will eventually disappear!

That is exactly what is happening to me. Still lots of aches and stiffness, but definitely more "ups" and less "downs" than a few weeks ago. I find myself realizing that I now have times that I don't think about my knees. It may not last long - but they are coming......and it's nice!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads Woohoo for 10 stairs. You are doing awesome. I had something similar at PT I used for balancing. Needless to say, balance is a work in progress for me. I joked with my trainer the other day that if I ever got pulled over and was asked to complete a sobriety test, I would definitely NOT be able to walk a straight line, LOL.

That would be wonderful if you could get a pass home. I remember years ago I had emergency abdominal surgery and was in bed recooperating for quite some time. I finally went outside one night and was amazed to see Christmas lights up everywhere. It was such a sight, as in my "bubble" I had totally forgot it was the Christmas season.

I am working hard to take my own advice. I am sitting in my recliner with my legs elevated and have been icing the last hour. My husband is out of town again this week, so I'm about to get up to make my son dinner. But it will be something quick and easy, and then I'm back in the recliner again. Today was a better day than last week. I think my body is becoming used to full-time work - but yes, I am counting down the day until my break. 9 more days of work and I'm off :)

Yesterday my husband, son and I went to the movies to see Interstellar. It's a long movie (2 hours 49 min) and I was very concerned about stiffness and swelling from sitting so long. But, a friend just told me about one of the local movie theaters now has amazing recliners that go all the way back - and let me tell you....I've never been so comfortable watching a movie in my life. Legs up, body fully reclined and lots of room to stretch, bend my legs when needed, etc. It was heaven. I had stopped going to the movie several years ago as it was so hard to sit through them. Now that I discovered these recliners, I plan to return often!!! It was great to get out and have a nice afternoon, without worrying about my knees.
 
Proprioception---
My physio talked about training the links between my brain and the signals to my new knees. Is that the word for that process?
yes---learning about balance where your body is,and where your body is and what it is doing in relationship to other people and objects.

Close your eyes and touch your nose. That is an example of proprioception.

however, after a TKR or a BTKR (as well as a PKR) sometimes we have to "relearn" how to do some things with our new knees. That is why some people---like you and me and others---have to do those exercises.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@referee54 I can't wait :) So excited to live my life the way I want to......and not how my knee makes me.
@ljrfrm For a most of us, we have lost a chance to define who we are---arthritis has done that in a dysfunctional way. Once you get through recovery, you will be able to redefine yourself and who you are---and arthritis will be out of the picture. Your life, and your lifestyle will be entirely up to you.
 
Thank you @referee54 - you've helped me understand what my physio was talking about this morning. I guess I never realized that my knees were having to work in so many ways to get well. The human body is amazing and I've realised how lucky I am to live in a time where I can choose to improve my life in the way I have. Two of my roommates are amputees and it is quite humbling to watch their determination to get their lives back and their long battle to walk again.
 
@ljrfrm - looks like a weekend pass might be in my near future. The doctor OK'd it today but I still have to get clearance from my PT and OT. So, might go home this coming weekend and be discharged late next week. I probably could have been discharged this week but I'd rather spend some more time in concentrated physio - which I know wouldn't happen at home. Doug is a little nervous about the responsibility of having me home - I don't think he realises how independent I can be. I've got the rest of this week to practice stairs, and I only have to go up at night and come down in the morning. I can survive on the main floor all day.

That movie theatre sounds amazing! I don't think we have any like that out here, however it's been years since I've been to a movie. Was the theatre full of the recliners or were there just a certain number and the rest of the seats normal. Most of the theatres here are so tiny!

I'm glad today was better than last week, but try to pace yourself ;-)
 
@Threads --you are very welcome---when I read what you are doing, it took me back to my own PT sessions/ I would stand on this:
[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
And then I wold throw this medicine ball:
[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
And then I would face this:
[Bonesmart.org] Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!
I would face it straight on, from the left and from the right---I would toss the medicine ball at it and then have to catch it. It made me re-teach all of the little and big muscles to work in concert to get the job done and get stronger, gain stamina, and, most important of all, work together for balance. not only did I have to throw the medicine ball--I had to catch it on the rebound, too.
 
@referee54 - that's impressive! I stand on my wobbly thing and toss the ball back and forth to my physio. We only do it for a few minutes each session. That ball looks a lot bigger and heavier than the one I use. Maybe I'll graduate to something more challenging as I get closer to discharge.
 
@ljrfrm For a most of us, we have lost a chance to define who we are---arthritis has done that in a dysfunctional way. Once you get through recovery, you will be able to redefine yourself and who you are---and arthritis will be out of the picture. Your life, and your lifestyle will be entirely up to you.
Sounds heavenly :)
 
So the entire theater was recliners. There's a photo above of the chairs. I think I'll never go to another theater again. It's not the closest but it's worth the extra 10 min drive. The recliners go all the way back and have tray tables for your food and drinks! The seats are assigned, so you can go online ahead of time and reserve where you want to sit.

The weekend pass sounds great!!! It's a great way for Doug to see you'll be ok. You can spend the day on one floor, and all he'll need to help you with is meals (and housework!) and rides to PT. You are very lucky you are getting such physio support - such a blessing for your recovery!!
 
So glad to hear that you will be getting a pass to go home home for a bit. Sorry to hear that the pain was a bit much. My days are getting closer and I have no idea where I will be able to go for PT. My normal place to go does not take my new insurance. I was used to my therapist and hate to have to break in a new one. We had our granddaughter this weekend and she had a cold. I nearly panicked, my husband was a real trouper and took care of her needs so I didn't need to be near here too much, of course she did not understand why grandma would not hold her. She is only two and a really sweet little girl. She already knows to cover her mouth when she coughs or sneezes. So now I am praying I won't get a cold before my surgery date of next week Tuesday. One week from today I will have my new knee.

Hope you are now managing the pain, it sounds like your PT is really a good place, that is a big plus.
 
Hi @fiberlady! It's when I go down in the amount of OxyContin I take, that I seem to have a bad day or two. My pain is manageable now. Today I saw my OS and he, not being the most talkative person around (but a great surgeon) said that I was where he expected me to be at 4 weeks. He doesn't want to see me for a year! I'm having a bit of problem with my extension but I'm guessing I'm at about 120 going back the other way on both knees. My extension on my left leg wasn't great before surgery so it's not surprising it needs work after.

I can understand your mixed feelings about your Granddaughter - part of you screams inside at the thought of catching a cold - the other part screams inside that you can't pick up that adorable child and hug her confusion away. However - very soon you will be back playing with her!

I've been very lucky to get into this fabulous rehab centre. The staff are amazing. If I had had one knee done, however - I wouldn't have had this opportunity.

Your Guild meeting is something to look forward to and before you know it, you'll be on the other side with both knees ready to roll!

Take care.
 
@ljrfrm - I'll have to wait until I hear that theatres like the one you describe reaches our part of the world. I posted above about my visit with my OS today. When I got back I still fitted in 3 physio sessions this afternoon. I'm exhausted. During my one on one PT I walked outside. Up a short flight of stairs and then up a ramp which led to a patch of grass at the top of a knoll. I had to walk on the grass over that and then down a gentle grassy slope to the back door of the gym! I was proud of myself. However, I'm past exhausted now and will head for bed!
 
You are awesome. I didn't get to 120 degree until about 12 weeks or more! All you hard work is paying off! The exhaustion is normal (as you know) but pay attention to it and rest!!!
 
@Threads I feel tired reading about all your PT but you've made amazing progress. I expect you are looking forward to your weekend pass with excitement but also some apprehension. I do hope you got some zzzzs after your mammoth PT session.

Things are fine here. I am still progressing pretty well with the odd niggle here and there. But feel I'm going in the right direction with my recovery. The rest is so important.

Big hugs via the Pole

Xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom