• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Not sure if this is normal fatigue

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:)
The only flowers I can't kill are the dandelions.:nah:
It's great to have two good hips and be out of pain...
Hope your weekend is sweet!:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Thanks Mojo, I did have a good weekend. The weather was nice so I was able to get some walking in - only one dog this time. I only occasionally get a little burning in my hip. I am very thankful that my recovery has been so smooth. I signed up for a 5K walk for charity (not a race) in the middle of May when I will 5 1/2 months out. I should be able to do that. It is a good motivation to get out and walk!

I wish dandelions had nicer leaves, then I would just leave them. They look very nice in my lawn.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month AnnIversary!
It sounds like you're doing well, looking forward to a 5K next month. Should be fun for you.
Thanks for updating. I hope you have a great week!
@KathyD

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Opps, I did my math wrong. I will be 4 1/2 months out

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Re: the yard work I think we have to learn to let some things go after any major surgery or illness. I have managed to find a bit of money to hire a kid to tidy up my yard a bit the last few years. They don't do a great job but just enough to make it look tidier. Ask around to see if you know anyone with 12 to 15 year olds.

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Good idea, Carriemay I'm sure there are some enterprising young souls around who would like to earn some money mowing the lawn.

We are in for another "bomb cyclone" tomorrow here in Colorado. I've never heard of these before and now we are going to have the second one in a month. There is supposed to be a very big drop in pressure before it hits. The last time it didn't bother my hips much (what bothered them more was the 3 hours it took to drive home) so I'll be interested to see if I notice anything this time. I'll take some tylenol to work just in case.

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
So my hips were achey during this latest storm. But my commute Thursday morning also took 2 hours because of the snow, so I sure that has something to do with it. I am still sore today. Having snow on the ground will decrease my temptation to go hiking and overdo it this weekend.

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
When will this winter ever end! Definitely a year I would have loved a trip south. We have some nice looking sunshine today but not sure it will feel warm enough for me to sit outside. Might be able to open the door and windows a bit though.

NewHip19

Country
Hi KathyD I went back to work early too, at 3 weeks but worked from home 3/5 days until about 5 weeks. I didn't have that much of a commute, but I was extremely tired. I'd come home drained and go to bed early. I also wondered if it "wasn't normal, " but finally I realized, hey, you've been through a major procedure and doing anything is harder. I still feel more tired than I'd like to, at almost 10 weeks, but have come to accept that as normal. As many on this forum have said, it's important to have patience with yourself and give yourself a break. You'll get there! Best wishes :)

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Thanks NewHip19. I can use the encouragement. My son has been home the last two days and I having been living life as if I were 35 again. Now I am pooped and both of my hips are sore. Fortunately, they don't hurt at rest, but just with certain motions and standing. I'll have to be stern with myself tomorrow and slow down.

CarrieMay, it snowed here on and off all day. I've lived at high altitude for 32 years and this is normal here, but every year I get anxious for spring to come even though I know we've got another month to go.

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Weird day here in Colorado today, what with the girl from Florida who came out here, bought a gun, etc. She was found near a mountain lake in our county - a place I have been to many times.

Hip-wise, still a little sore and I'm not sure why, since I have cut back on my activity the last few days. I was busy today at work, which entails getting up and down out of a chair a lot, maybe that's it, plus another storm coming in.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I saw that on the news...horrible.

I hope you are still icing when you get home from work...I did even up to six months out after I got home.

Hope today is a better day.:ok:

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
So both of my hips are sore now - not a lot, just the muscles when I flex them. I did a lot of driving over the weekend, (don't I always ?) I am hoping it's just that my new hip rehab has caught up to my old hip and now both are progressing in strength. That or the antique table I carried in from the car several days ago. It's hard sometimes to take care of myself when my husband and son are gone for the summer and I am here alone with my 85 year old mother in law. She is OK but can't help me with the heavy stuff.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
That or the antique table I carried in from the car several days ago.
New hips don't like that kind of activity...it was a sure way of causing mine trouble.
I take in donations at the food bank and went back to work earlier than I should have probably.
I was used to doing the lifting and loading...and quite often delivered to me from older people who also didn't need to be lifting heavy items.
I had to stop doing this! It was setting my recovery back and I realized, just because I could - didn't mean I should.
And if we couldn't then we wouldn't and would have to get help...so I just had to work it out so I didn't. Make sense?
We've been through too much to get to this place to mess it up now.
Next time...please work out some assistance. I do get that it's hard to think that way, but it is important.

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Thanks Mojo. I am so used to doing everything myself that it is hard to remember not to. No more big furniture purchases for me for awhile. (but it is such a cool table!) Son #2 is coming home for a few days so I'll have him take it down stairs for me.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:) Do as I say, not as I do.
Some of my boundaries in the early months were learned the hard way.
Unhelpful and unnecessary.
Glad son will help you ...don't make me worry for you:beg:

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Lifting? :bignono:

You'll be lucky if Josephine doesn't peek around the corner and put you in the naughty corner!
:giggle:

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
I've been in the naughty corner before, don't need to do it again. I promise not to do anymore lifting. But I don't know what to do about the driving, grocery shopping, getting on my hands and knees to relight the pilot on the hot water heater, putting the full trash cans out, etc. I'm it here. This morning I took my mother in law down to Denver for a bone density test only to find out the order had been screwed up - 35 miles each way. I brought her back home because she can't tolerate being in the car that long, then I went back down to the grocery store. - 25 miles away. (Could go to the one that is 12 miles away, but their selection is not as good).

But on the bright side, it rained here today instead of snowing. (It snowed on Sunday.) We'll probably get one more big wet snow storm in May. That's why we don't plant up here until Memorial Day. That gives me more time to recover and plan out what I am going to do in the yard. Not much this year again. I still need to find a kid to mow the lawn.

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
You have a lot on your plate so early out but like you say, who else is there? It sounds like you live pretty rural but wonder if you could put an ad up where your mailboxes are for the lawn or maybe at a close by corner store? Sometimes being a adult just plain sucks! :cry:

OP
OP
K

KathyD

Country
Thanks for your support Carrie May. I live in a little town of 1,000 people but we have public bulletin boards all over that I can post an ad on.
I bought my son a t-shirt when he turned 21 that said "Don't grow up, it's a trap!" I should have got one for myself as well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
allylaw25
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom