TKR Not sure how to feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks you all! I'm laughing at the "it isn't pretty" comment and thank you D Diva - but I know there have been some moments when i'm rummaging around or trying to climb anything and it "is not pretty!" lol :rotfl:
 
Really? You are so sweet - and I am so screwed up because I think I'm taking opionions from the wrong people - friends who have never had this surgery - they are driving me nuts with being so underwhelmed with my recovery and until I found this site today I haven't known who to go to for a reality check! I am really fighting depression every day so i thank you!
Micha... I am at 4 months post-op and I can completely identify with what you said. I have never experienced anything like this because it is not a "linear" recovery -- sometimes one step forward then two steps back. I battle depression and anxiety all the time. I think about calling my doctor, but then I read the comments of others and I realize that this must be "normal" for where I am at. I thought I'd be doing a lot more by now, and also getting off of the Advil, but I may be wrong. If I "overdo" it (which is often hard to judge at the time) my knee will tighten and the joint will "click" more when I walk. It is hard, all of it, but I think of what others have had to deal with in their lives and I know I can get through this. Be strong. And read a lot! (I've already gone through about 8 books).
 
Hi !!! It's been forever since I've posted here on my thread - but thought I'd check in and let you know I'm good! I am riding my bike loads and pushing as hard as I can to get more miles and become stronger. I fell (standing stock still) the other day right onto my knee and was so scared I'd messed up after all I've been through trying to recover - but all was good and just a little bruising and ego busting! I'm trying to do more ROM exercising but in general I feel like I'm doing OK most of the time! wow - what a long haul! But I'm getting back to normal (what is that???) and happy to be outside. Friday I see my granddaughter in Arizona and we're going to ride bikes and play! Yipppppeeeee...I took a pic to see my ROM so I will see if I can post it...yikes it came out huge! sorry! That was before my fall! I'm going to try mountain biking again but waiting to get some
protective gear just in case! I can't really tell what the ROM numbers would be but at least it bends enough to get the job done - that's what matters the most! I hope everyone is doing well! Hugs! xoxo
[Bonesmart.org] Not sure how to feel...
 
That is fantastic micha!
A great inspiration for those early in the recovery process.

And how fun getting to ride bikes with your granddaughter. :SUNsmile:

bottomshollow
Perhaps you can resize the pic for micha?
 
Hey Micha. Reading your posts and you sound so positive about your ROM and Im trying to take the same attitude. "It bends enough to get the job done" thats brilliant. Sometimes when you read other peoples posts who are only a few weeks from TKR and they have fantastic figures you do feel discouraged. But as its been said on here many times you should never compare. Its been a long six months for me and it has been helped such a lot by your wonderful friendship and encouragement. Thank you for that Micha. It has helped more than you know.
 
Aw Pat - you are so right about seeing other people's successes - sometimes it helps and sometimes it's hard to make ourselves not compare! I know you have struggled so much and you have so much going on besides your knee...sometimes I don't know how you stay as positive as you are - you're always kicking yourself in the pants and getting back on with being positive and active - so you are my hero! I have my moments - lots of them - but because of you and others here - I know I have to get on with it and be grateful for what's great! Love and hugs to you! ox
 
Hi! I have a question that I'm hoping I can ask well enough to make sense...I am at 7 months - get enough bend and straight and strength to be satisfied with my progress. What I'm not sure about is the left side seems to sort of fill with fluid as the day goes on and whenever I exercise or use my knee a lot. Even in the morning there is a slight burn on that left side. It's very close to the area that is numb - my OS said I would have little numbness but I'm wondering if this burning is that numbness finally wearing off or what the heck is it? I still ice once or twice a day and that always helps. Anyone having anything like this even after this long? Am I just still healing? Thanks for any input! :flwrysmile:
 
What I'm not sure about is the left side seems to sort of fill with fluid as the day goes on and whenever I exercise or use my knee a lot... Am I just still healing? Thanks for any input! :flwrysmile:

Hi. I am at 5-1/2 months post-op LTKR and I have twice gone to my Dr. who put me on a corticosteroid, Methylprednisolone, for knee swelling/tightness. It helped the first time and I'm just at the end of the second Rx now and hope it kicks in again. But I seem to be at a point where just a little too much standing or walking can trigger the whole knee fluid thing again and I regress. I am super gun-shy now about getting back into anything that might set it off again. The "unknown" fine line of cause and effect here has been driving me crazy. But my doc has told me that as long as my scar is still dark (red), my knee is still healing, and the fluid buildup is the the knee tissue reacting to use. So it's "what can I stand, physically and (even more) mentally?" I need a therapist!
 
Thank you Dr. F! My scar is still purple almost right where this is happening so that is a good clue to me that I am still just healing - not ready to give up all I can do to keep it behaving so as long as this is part of the process I'm ok. I NEED my bicycling and walking and business (busy-ness) lol to stay sane. If I still have this after a year I may change my tune! :) :whistle:
 
I am almost 5 months and I was wondering about those of you who are further out. I was bending really well 120 and not too much pain or swelling. This past week I am down to 110 flexion and feeling stiffer with some pain medial of knee. I have cut back once the swelling started and have been elevating and icing. Did you have days where at this late in time had issues like this? I am just wondering if this is normal to still have some days where you start to think there is an issue and then it resolves a few days later? Probably from doing something that stressed it. My OS said my extension was 5 so I went back to hanging my leg over the bed face down. Wondering if that flared it up since I had thought I didn't need to do those anymore.
 
I am almost 5 months and I was wondering about those of you who are further out. I was bending really well 120 and not too much pain or swelling. This past week I am down to 110 flexion and feeling stiffer with some pain medial of knee. I have cut back once the swelling started and have been elevating and icing. Did you have days where at this late in time had issues like this? I am just wondering if this is normal to still have some days where you start to think there is an issue and then it resolves a few days later? Probably from doing something that stressed it. My OS said my extension was 5 so I went back to hanging my leg over the bed face down. Wondering if that flared it up since I had thought I didn't need to do those anymore.
I have had multi-experiences with flare-ups (@ 4-5+ months) after doing what was apparently too much standing or walking and/or stairs. And my response has been to elevate and ice. But it is frustrating how long it may take to get the knee to loosen up some again. I have been making myself anxious/crazy by not seeing results after icing for several days, and I've been feeling guilty because I have cut back my exercises so I can "heal," though my doctor says I ought to be able to be walking all the time. I am so confused and depressed that I'm going to counseling tomorrow, for the first time in years. Believe me, what you are going through is "normal" in my book.
 
I can sure understand where you are at. This has been such a frustrating recovery. I have lost respect for my OS so I am really feeling stressed over what to do at this stage. I developed a catching and pain when riding my bike about a month ago. Right when my knee was bending better and doing so much better. My OS said he missed a bone spur. So I don't know if this is related to that or just normal healing where it just has good days and bad. Of course my last appointment he blew everything off so I feel I am just alone in trying to figure out if I really have an issue or it is just part of the healing process. I think I am about at the point of going to counseling too! I don't know where to turn now.
 
Hi again! Nanners - thanks so much for your input - it helps! And 60mom and DrF - I know how crazy the ups and downs can make you - it happens to all of us a little I think. I do keep walking and biking cuz it doesn't feel any better not to! Some days are great, no problems and some days are scary. Note to all - I can't seem to figure out how to type in member names in a way that flags them - any help??? Thanks! Nanners - congrats on 8 months!!!
 
You are doing great. Best wishes and I hope the slight burning resolves itself. The minor swelling is quite normal. Nice cycling pic (Phoenix?).
 
I was referring to the big pic in the parking lot...showing your range of motion.
 
oh thanks- that was actually in Henderson, NV
 
robynhood Hi! I am giving this a test try - thanks for telling me how! My knee is doing ok - sore a little at the end of the day and I find myself being stealthy about icing because I don't want to explain that it still needs ice at times. Jeez goofy I know! OK keep working hard on your exercising and eating well - you'll be so happy you are! :)
 
Yesssssss it worked. And ice as long as you need to. cant do any harm and many people still icing a year or more after. Take care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom